ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (Dear Tom, we might not be smart, but we're not stupid...)

Totally agree with you on Gruden, @Ketchum. That deal has felt a little off from the beginning. I don’t believe he understands the ways the league has changed over the past ten or so years. Plus, I think he will wear down that locker room over time.

You think he even makes it to year three?
Two years.

Reactions: DrothmanII
I heard the “what coverage was MD in” comment from Herman and was thinking “WTF does that have to do with the question asked?”

@Ketchum Any chance CDC sees CTH losing the press and gives him some “advice” on answering questions without looking like a condescending asshole? You can do that all you want when you are winning and living up to your hype, but when you are losing and being told you “have no clothes,” it takes a different tactic to keep everyone on your side and the donations flowing.
CDC will likely help in any way he can. He seems like a good boss.

Ketch, Tom is being stubborn and frankly, I think this staff is out-thinking themselves.

I'm reminded of The Wire: Season 4, when Marlo tells the security guard,

"You want it to be one way... but it's the other way."

Ingram may not be the senior or upperclassman, but he's their most talented back and he performed beautifully on only 6 carries for 37 yards and a touchdown, with some nice cutbacks. We need results now. Give your best playmakers the ball dammit! Give him 15-20 carries.

Watson and Ingram should've received more carries than the 18 they got on Saturday.
That is absolutely correct. Execute with your best players rather than responding to the opponent’s antics and finesse. Interested one of his quotes last year was that he never heard a winning coach brag that he outfinessed an opponent. Well our coach needs to quit trying to do just that.

Philip Seymour Hoffman in Capote is the only time I have ever forgotten that I was watching an actor because their performance was so good. The single greatest piece of acting I have ever seen in my entire life.
I've never seen Capote...

*ducking*

In retrospect we should have not pushed Mack Brown out without an acceptable replacement- that is someone with a proven tract record as a HC at a major program not successful coordinators with 1-2 years experience as a HC. Tennessee made same mistake t and we are in the same position- we need to fire Herman after this year unless he turns around (I doubt it) and get someone would been successful with fewer resources like Patterson, Harstan, or Peterson and give them whatever it takes- with resources at Texas it will turn quickly.
100-percent

Yes to Vivian Leah, Robert Dinero, Heath Ledger, Al Pacino and most others.

Also consider: Dustin Hoffman: Midnight Cowboy and Steve McQueen: Papillon; Judy Garland: Wizard of Oz; Jimmy Stewart: many.

Reactions: I Hear Voices
His team was ill-prepared for the start of the game, an issue that Herman admitted after the game he didn't quite know how to solve.

That is the problem this 5 million dollar a year coach that apparently came here to fix is not acceptable. With that, Herman has done more good here than what Strong did and did recognize some problems under the previous coaches. He will get this year to show improvement.

No. 2 - "We went with the hot hand"...

In my mind, I can't believe he went away from Watson and/or Ingram. Herman needs a coach on his squad that can keep him organized during a game.

(Sell) He's the head coach at Texas right now because of what he did in the 2015 season at Houston, plain and simple. There wasn't a back-up plan to Herman, not when the Cougars struggled at times in his second season, not when concerns about his profile popped up in the vetting process and not when they bumped Charlie Strong out the door. The concern I've had coming into the season is that it's possible that he just isn't ready for a job like this and that for all of the talent he possesses, perhaps he needed more seasoning. We knew at the time that his track record was limited and this risk you run by going with a young guy is that sometimes they're young. The fact of the matter is that Texas has a coach learning on the job and if he doesn't learn the things he needs to learn quickly, it'll be over.

The big question is, who do ya got? Patterson?

(Sell) Herman will view a change after one game as a show of panic. I do believe Sam's leash will be short.

I think Herman is looking for Sam to come out and prove him wrong or a subterfuge way to taking Sam out, bringing Shane in and giving Cam back up reps. Shane very well could take the reigns of the QB position this weekend and never look back.

Reactions: OrangeMGB
That is the problem this 5 million dollar a year coach that apparently came here to fix is not acceptable. With that, Herman has done more good here than what Strong did and did recognize some problems under the previous coaches. He will get this year to show improvement.

In my mind, I can't believe he went away from Watson and/or Ingram. Herman needs a coach on his squad that can keep him organized during a game.

The big question is, who do ya got? Patterson?

I think Herman is looking for Sam to come out and prove him wrong or a subterfuge way to taking Sam out, bringing Shane in and giving Cam back up reps. Shane very well could take the reigns of the QB position this weekend and never look back.
If Patterson were five years younger....

@Ketchum Does Herman read these threads? If not, can you make sure to slip him a note saying the whole arrogance thing is only tolerated when accompanied by success and it breeds resentment when you suck at the one thing you’re making a shitload of money to do?

Appreciate it.
Things find a way of being read, usually.

One of the best and most straightforward 10 Thoughts in some time. Reminds me of the old Ketch

Reactions: cgregory4
If Patterson were five years younger....
I don't think it matters. You go get the right guy. Dabo?, you want to spent 11 million? You'd have to. Herman doesn't get fired until a real option is in place. I just don't know who that is. If Fisher falls flat, we'll find out soon enough, Herman's job is secure. Herman is one real good OC away from being safe. Remember that.

Reactions: AJ Mac
I don't think Tom Herman has any actual answers. He rose faster than his experience warranted, and he just doesn't have the coaching chops to succeed at this level, at least right now.
Which is why if he's smart he gets the right OC in here to help him. Make him the real assistant coach. Make did it with Robinson. He needs to channel his inner Mack.

I bet you'll find it on a list of the best performances by a black actor or actress.
??? Except that was not what your list was about.
Ketch and Anwar please just ask on tomorrow’s presser why did they not keep feeding Watson and Ingram and don’t let him evade the question how can you not establish a running game and expect to beat anyone.

ADVERTISEMENT