ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (Don't be surprised when these things happen...)

You still haven't tried to make a case for any player ahead of him.

Emmitt's resume is whipped out in front of everyone and it's BIG.

Ron Dayne broke Ricky Williams' NCAA career yardage record. Do you think Ron Dayne is a better running back than Ricky Williams? You should, based on the logic you are using to push Emmitt Smith as the best RB of all time.

Emmitt was extremely tough and durable, and he fit really well into the offensive system the Cowboys ran. But he played on teams that were light years better than any of the other great backs ever played on. You have to look deeper than yards.

I can find any number of polls that name Jim Brown, or Walter Payton, or Barry Sanders as the best running back of all time. Show us one credible poll that names Emmitt Smith number 1.

Emmitt Smith ran behind a great line, with a HOF QB and WR taking away a lot of heat. Not to mention great TE play.

Walter Payton largely played with a dogshat team during his career. And yet Walter averaged more YPC than Emmitt. Seems very logical to me that Walter’s stats would be enhanced greatly by being on those Cowboy teams.

Earl averaged more yards per carry too. No doubt at all that at their prime, Earl was better than Emmitt, but he didn’t last long enough to make the case emphatically.

Jerry Rice had a great line, with a HOF QB Pro Bowl RBs taking away a lot of heat. Not to mention great TE play.

James Lofton largely played with a dogshat team during his career. And yet James averaged more YPC than Jerry. Seems very logical to me that James' stats would be enhanced greatly by being on those 49ers teams.

Homer Jones averaged more yards per catch, too. No doubt at all that at their prime, Homer was better than Jerry, but he didn’t last long enough to make the case emphatically.

Emmitt's resume dwarfs Walter's.

Except that, on average, Walter gained more yards than Emmitt every time he carried the ball, and he did so with teammates over the course of his career that exactly zero people in NFL history would say matched up to the talent of Emmitt’s teammates.

But other than that, sure...

Emmit Smith broke 5 yards per carry once in his career. And averaged 4.2 per carry.

It's hard to have the yards per carry average be high when your team calls upon you to convert the most important carries of the game, like third or fourth and short and on the goal line. It's a much easier task when your head coaches take you out of the game for those most important carries.

Ron Dayne broke Ricky Williams' NCAA career yardage record. Do you think Ron Dayne is a better running back than Ricky Williams? You should, based on the logic you are using to push Emmitt Smith as the best RB of all time.
That's such an intellectually dishonest post.

As if Smith's ace up his sleeve is merely his rushing yards... you're not making debate great again.

How many years did Jim Brown have an MVP Quarterback? or multiple all pro lineman and and all pro receiver.
Take off the Blue colored glasses. You can't win this not sure any NFL analysts would agree with you. Stick to your expertise college football.

How many years did Jerry Rice have an MVP Quarterback? Or multiple all pro lineman and and all pro running backs?
Take off the Red colored glasses. You can't win this not sure any NFL analysts would agree with you. Stick to your expertise college football

Reactions: Change My Name
Except that, on average, Walter gained more yards than Emmitt every time he carried the ball, and he did so with teammates over the course of his career that exactly zero people in NFL history would say matched up to the talent of Emmitt’s teammates.

It's a damn shame Walter wasn't as big in the playoffs or in big games as Emmitt.

It's not Emmitt's fault that he carried a team on his back in a Super Bowl and Walter never did.

It'snot Emmitt's fault that Walter couldn't make his linemen as good as Emmitt made his.

Brown also got to be larger than the guys trying to tackle him and had the advantage of playing fewer games. Brown played in 118 career regular season games and four playoff games, a total of 122 professional games. Emmitt Smith was one shy of double that number of games, at 243. That type of wear and tear (against substantially larger and faster opponents) takes a massive toll that Brown didn't have to pay.
Maybe because hw retired at 29 because he could make more money doing movies.

Question for those of you that believe Emmitt's line made him and not the other way around.

What year did Nate Newton join the Cowboys? Mark Tuinei? Kevin Grogan? Mark Stepnoski?

What year did all of them start to earn accolades and recognition as good players?

What year was Larry Allen drafted? How many Super Bowls had Emmitt won at the time of his being drafted?

Reactions: EastCoastTexan
Barry Sanders gets a lot of love as the GOAT, but I don't think he is.

He may be the best "pure runner" and had the most electrifying single runs, but he wasn't a complete back.

Barry Sanders would rip off an incredible run for 49 yards, and then they give him the rock one play later and he loses three yards. Then the offense is in 2nd and 13. Passing down at a disadvantage. I believe he led the NFL in most runs for a loss and most runs for no gain most years he played.

He had 10 years in the league and won how many playoff games? You don't think he had any decent OL during that entire time?

Barry Sanders was an incredible runner and I do think he's top 5, but not THE best.

Agreed, there were times at the end of games in crunch time that Sanders wouldn’t be on the field. That was never the case with Emmitt.

Reactions: Saul Goodman87
Jerry Rice had some of the greatest quarterbacks of all time. You put Jerry with some of the quarterbacks Larry Fitzgerald or Steve Smith or Andre Johnson had and he's a mediocre receiver. Only a 49ers fan would ever think Jerry Rice is the best wide receiver all time. That line forms behind Larry Fitzgerald and Andre Johnson for sure, and for my money Jerry couldn't carry Larry's jock. There's a reason Jerry didn't go until the 16th pick in the first round in the draft. The greatest wide receiver of all time would never last that long.
Yeah because where you are drafted dictates how great you are. He did really well at 40 playing with Rich Gannon by the way. Ironically enough the 49ers traded up to get him otherwise the Cowboys intended on taking him in the 1st round.

Walter's teams: 111-83 (.572)
Emmitt's teams: 126-114 (.525)

BreakableLeafyIrishsetter-size_restricted.gif

How many years did Jerry Rice have an MVP Quarterback? Or multiple all pro lineman and and all pro running backs?
Take off the Red colored glasses. You can't win this not sure any NFL analysts would agree with you. Stick to your expertise college football
What are you talking about I was discussing running backs.

Reactions: PaperChampion
You seem to be doing just fine. I asked a legit question and you answered with snarkiness. Hope you are proud. You know, it is a discussion board, not a competition to see who can put another in his place. But I guess you don’t want to have a common decency discussion. Just win the debate and you are now master of the universe...yay for you.

UnfitOpenIndianpalmsquirrel-size_restricted.gif

Reactions: orangelightningbolt
That's such an intellectually dishonest post.

As if Smith's ace up his sleeve is merely his rushing yards... you're not making debate great again.

You don't think comparing Ron Dayne and Ricky Williams, what they did in college, which one is really a better running back and citing their relative yards gained in college, as a comparison to you're pushing Emmitt Smith as the greatest back of all time based on his numbers, is applying standards of rational evaluation to the discussion at hand?

Really?

The definition of intellectual dishonestly is judging others or their opinions more critically than you judge your own. That would be you, Ketch.

Yeah because where you are drafted dictates how great you are. He did really well at 40 playing with Rich Gannon by the way. Ironically enough the 49ers traded up to get him otherwise the Cowboys intended on taking him in the 1st round.

GratefulEnormousCutworm-max-1mb.gif

You don't think comparing Ron Dayne and Ricky Williams, what they did in college, which one is really a better running back and citing their relative yards gained in college, as a comparison to you're pushing Emmitt Smith as the greatest back of all time based on his numbers, is applying standards of rational evaluation to the discussion at hand?

Really?

The definition of intellectual dishonestly is judging others or their opinions more critically than you judge your own. That would be you, Ketch.
Again, you just skip right past the point that was rightfully made and delve into tomfoolery.

Just mention Emmitt and watch Cowboys haters’ heads explode everywhere. They foam and froth at the mouth, yet are incapable of intelligently, logically assailing Emmitt’s resume and greatness.

Look up Emmitt’s YAC and tell me again how he had it so easy, or that he wasn’t great. Go look at Emmitt’s highlight tapes and tell me he was just some spare who only succeeded because of his line. I put his highlight tapes up against anyone’s. Anyone’s.

Just mention Emmitt and watch Cowboys haters’ heads explode everywhere. They foam and froth at the mouth, yet are incapable of intelligently, logically assailing Emmitt’s resume and greatness.

Look up Emmitt’s YAC and tell me again how he had it so easy, or that he wasn’t great. Go look at Emmitt’s highlight tapes and tell me he was just some spare who only succeeded because of his line. I put his highlight tapes up against anyone’s. Anyone’s.

To be fair, you can't put Emmitt's Super Bowl highlights up against Barry Sanders'.

It's a damn shame Walter wasn't as big in the playoffs or in big games as Emmitt.

It's not Emmitt's fault that he carried a team on his back in a Super Bowl and Walter never did.

It'snot Emmitt's fault that Walter couldn't make his linemen as good as Emmitt made his.
???? Troy Aikman got sacked only 46 times between 94 and 96. He had a great offensive line. Smith carries a team to a Super bowl with 158 total yards and it is a signature moment but Brown has 151 total yards in the 64 Championship game well in your eyes it was not a signature moment. What is the difference?

ADVERTISEMENT