ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From The Weekend (Drink the Kool-Aid I'm pouring...)

Those two have been to the Finals and cut their teeth in big games.

You gotta get out of the first round as an MVP.
He was in the conference finals last year, semis the year before, and played excellent in both runs. You're just plain wrong in this here. You don't get worse than Dirk being eliminated in the first round while being the 4th best player in that series, and not even the best player on his team. If nobody called that taint, nobody is going to call Jokic taint with Murray out for the playoffs. Especially if he keeps putting up big numbers. Plus Curry didn't make the playoffs, and Jokic has better playoff history than Embiid.

Perhaps he just hasn't read it, but interesting @Ketchum hasn't replied to my assumption that he would be ok if Blue shuts it down at the start of November every year in Austin if we aren't playing for the Big 12 and/or CFP berth. I mean, why risk it, amirite?
Not the same thing at all. Good grief. You're better than that.

Reactions: Smeghed
Part of playing football is the love of the game. After college it is for the pay check, a job. If Blue has already lost the love of playing football while still in high school, I'm afraid he will lose all interest in playing in college very soon.
You are projecting your ethos into someone that has talents, ability and a future in the sport that you never do.

It's like me projecting my thoughts on going to the moon to an astronaut.

Reactions: FrancoBevo
Great post! But, you cannot have best movie quotes without, “I’m your huckleberry, that’s just my game,” followed up with, “we started a game a game for blood,” and “I was just funnin around,” and, “well I wasn’t, and this time it’s legal.”
🤷‍♂️

@Ketchum

Just a heads up but you can see Casablanca on the big screen at the Paramount on May 27 in the evening or 29 at 1 PM.

I just remembered that it is a long drive for you now, though . . .
Man, that sounds awesome. I've seen it at the Paramount before, though.

Excellent article! One of the best I recall.

This caused me to slam on the breaks. I knew you loved the kid, but wow. Time will tell if this was a great call or a real head scratcher. I’m leaning toward the latter. I hope I’m wrong.
Head scratcher...really?!? The kid is a stud. If he hadn’t committed to use so early, I think he would have been more highly touted and probably a 5-star. Ketch’s love of him is no stretch. Now, will he pan out? We’ll see soon enough.

Not blaming all of those discussions on you Ketch. That's just been the general tenor on the board from posters and some mods recently, with very little to balance it out.
I think we're just in a lull of sorts.

Dean Wormer in Animal House.........."Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son."
Caddy Shack.......
You buy a hat like this, I bet you get a free bowl of soup.” — Al Czervik.
“Don't sell yourself short Judge, you're a tremendous slouch.” — Ty Webb
Oh man, Animal House has a few that could quaify.

Reactions: styrbjorn
I don't often comment on your thoughts from the weekend, Ketch, other than saying nice job or good information but I want to point out two areas that you identified that I too have been "preaching" (if that's the word for it) about since last summer and again at the closing of the 2020 signing class.

First your point on Hudson Card. A quick release? Check. An even quicker release when he's in trouble or on the run? As incredible as that sounds, Check. Accuracy on both? Check. Understanding, TRULY understanding the phrase "throwing a receiver open"? Check. While Sark may very well be the QB coach we have all been wanting and waiting for, I'm not sure what can be gained by sitting such a talent on the bench. I don't like to assume that Sark would do such a thing just to prevent Thompson from transferring. It's not out of the realm of possibility but it would be disconcerting if not outright disappointing. You may be the self declared president of the Hudson Card fan club but I have been watching Texas QBs since James Street took over for Bill Bradley. It's amazing what we have had as QBs that have led this program since the 60's. VY was a gift. So is Hudson Card. So, to the President of the fan club from the old fart who's seen a lot in his time, let's both pray that Sark sees the same thing.

Point two and then I'll shut up. We haven't seen this much talent in the LB room in a long time. This position is my meat. And yes, I have been overly critical of the stable ponies brought in since DJ graduated. Great technique, overall nastiness and a nose for the football have been missing for quite some time. In their place were the Scott Derrys of the world and also rans who had no idea of how to shed a block, understand pad level and aggressiveness that attacked the ball carrier BEFORE he gained 5-7 yards beyond the LOS. Sorry, I digress into old habits. Supplementing this talent are the Younglings. One in particular from Arlington Martin, Morice Blackwell. I know, I know, you have him as a 3-star. Others have him as a 4-star. Jesus Christ was satisfied with one star so I don't give a crap how many stars people give this kid. He was born to play LB. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if as a toddler he used the correct hand, foot and pad technique to knock down the side of crib to get to his Teddy Bear. This kid has a nose for the football VERY much in the style of DJ.

There's my contribution, opinion or soap-box speech to your ten thoughts. They're good thoughts. I just wanted to add some of my own because after living through two different multi-years of wandering through the wilderness, I'm finally seeing two very special gifts on both sides of the ball that can get this program out of the wilderness and into the promised land.

Thanks for your indulgence. Let the fun poking and laughter begin.

Hook'em!
good stuff!

Reactions: samthehorn
Sure. But your Godfather's perspective has always been shaky going back to thinking III is a good movie.
That's not quite my perspective, but that you misrepresent things is often your m.o. You literally beat this drum 11 months ago and I swatted the silliness away then like I am now.

Learn from this moment so that in 11 months you don't fall back to some non-reality based point just because you don't have anything else left to say.

Attachments

• 1DB35947-E0B1-4AD5-BFF7-6619FB579BBB.jpeg
    1DB35947-E0B1-4AD5-BFF7-6619FB579BBB.jpeg
    76.2 KB · Views: 11
1. never was really a big Phil guy but over the last few years he's really grown on me

2. moved to Brenham 2.5 years ago now, and the Cowboys not being shown because of the Texans really does suck! first time in my life were I have lived and this happens

1. what happened in the last couple of years before this weekend?

2. Ugh.

I'm not aware of the rumors, but kids at the high school level opting out because they think they've got an NFL future is just a red flag. At the very least it displays a lack of desire to compete, be competitive or lacks a competitive nature - which is at its heart is the essence of making an NFL roster when being pitted up against other elite athletic talent. Worse, it could display flakey character issues similar to that of a Zach Evans.
I simply think that's an unfair way of framing a situation when you don't know what the f you're talking about with regard to details.

It's you projecting your ethos into a situation where your ethos and experiences don't really matter. Neither do mine.

I see it as a young man making a decision that he sees as setting up his life by the best use of the talent God gave him. I can’t find a reason to fault a young man that is thinking clear enough to realize where his future lies, and then act to protect it. We see college kids in droves forego bowl games for the sake of getting ready for the NFL draft. What’s the difference?

Too many guys have their views on high school from decades ago wrenched into how they process all of this.

Head scratcher...really?!? The kid is a stud. If he hadn’t committed to use so early, I think he would have been more highly touted and probably a 5-star. Ketch’s love of him is no stretch. Now, will he pan out? We’ll see soon enough.
He’s saying he’s the second most gifted QB he’s ever seen behind Vince. Re-read your post and decide if it makes any sense.

Man, I'm sorry, but I couldn't disagree more with your thought analysis on Blue skipping his "senior" year of HS. I have zero clue what's been said about him on message boards...as if that holds any water to begin with. However, a 17 yr old skipping out for his "future NFL" career is laughable at best. Sure, his choice and that's the country/society we live in...but come on, stop making this sound like it's no big deal. You brought up Golf of all sports too

Okay then, I'll play. You said to expect this to happen more. Will your thoughts be exactly the same if this was a Sophomore? Heck, even a freshman? Because kids are committing at those ages...hell, even younger in some cases. I also think your comparisons are off when using sports like golf, gymnastics. Again, more power to the kid, but to think this is a smart decision based off a HUGE what if, is just bad advice.
How many football players commit while fish or soph, where the staff accepts the commit and the kids actually signs with that school.

Obviously, blue made his decision after getting the ok from the staff. Doubt any staff would give a fish the green light.

People who hold on dearly to memories of their senior year of football...prolly end up like Al Bundy.

Blue has about a 33% chance to make the NFL based on his ranking, and he has a scholarship to UT. I'd say the rewards Far outweigh the risk.

Jaydon Blue. What a crock. Doesn't owe his teammates anything? Plain horseshit. He f**kin quit. In a spectacular display of me first. He'll quit again someday, when someone else is depending on him. Hope it's not here
What does he OWE his teammates? That's small town fake macho bullshit. If they had a shot at a state title, maybe I could see an argument. They all going to chip in if he gets hurt and set him up for life? That's what he's risking.

What are his teammates depending on him for? Stories at the bar with their other loser hs buddies... "you remember what Blue did against Smallville hs! Those were the days man!"

I think you are going a helluva long way to rationalize a rather immature decision. I mean, if you want to chalk up to a very possibly spoiled and petulant 17-year old then that's reasonable. But I don't really believe it was was true "business decision." If it does where does it end? Will you be cool if he shuts it down every November 1 at Texas if we aren't playing for a Big 12 title and CFP?
Not the same thing. He's playing for an NFL paycheck. Do you have problems with college players declaring early? Don't they owe their teammates four years?

What's he playing his senior year in hs for? A bunch of dudes he'll prolly rarely talk to again?

I'm not aware of the rumors, but kids at the high school level opting out because they think they've got an NFL future is just a red flag. At the very least it displays a lack of desire to compete, be competitive or lacks a competitive nature - which is at its heart is the essence of making an NFL roster when being pitted up against other elite athletic talent. Worse, it could display flakey character issues similar to that of a Zach Evans.
Do you have problems with young pitchers being on a strict pitch count?

It will be a long time before i sip kool aid again, SHOW ME!!

like all addicts, I hit rock bottom last year during the ISU game.

I’ve made my donations, I’ve bought my tickets, I’ll be there to watch....show me.

i agree with your analysis of Blue’s decision. Nothing in life is risk free or a sure thing, but it’s hard to argue with the decision if his goal is the NFL. im Not sure this decision gives him a better or worse shot at it, who knows if he’s mature enough to stay focused away from the team to stay in peak trining and performance mode, etc, etc, etc. The only thing that this decision assures is that he will take a couple hundred less hits next year.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ketchum
That's not quite my perspective, but that you misrepresent things is often your m.o. You literally beat this drum 11 months ago and I swatted the silliness away then like I am now.

Learn from this moment so that in 11 months you don't fall back to some non-reality based point just because you don't have anything else left to say.

lol. Sure.

Not the same thing. He's playing for an NFL paycheck. Do you have problems with college players declaring early? Don't they owe their teammates four years?

What's he playing his senior year in hs for? A bunch of dudes he'll prolly rarely talk to again?

If you’ve read this thread you will see how I rationally pointed out the difference between a kid shutting down 4 seasons before even eligible for a draft and a man literally on the door step of the draft.

Reactions: NativeTex
Do you have problems with young pitchers being on a strict pitch count?
So he talks with his coach about limiting his carries? Maybe so. Maybe he tried that, to no avail, IDK. Meantime, without more facts, all we know is that he quit. That part's not in dispute. Whether or not it was a good and responsible decision seems to be the subject of debate.

Reactions: styrbjorn
On Blue, he’s doing it because he can. Many guys don’t have that luxury. If all the schools recruiting him would drop him, it would be a different story. I’d love for it not to be such a business decision, but I don’t have business at stake. You have to ask yourself if you’re mad because he’s “quitting” on his current teammates or that he’s not playing at all? What if he was just transferring for a better opportunity? He’s not quitting during the season. In my mind, that’s different. Whether he would or not, we can’t say and isn’t fair to assume. I’d say at the point where he’s going to be drafted, it’s a likely scenario, but that’s not what’s happening here. Don’t hate the player, hate the game that allows this.

Hats off Ketch for endeavoring to even attempt the Herculean task of top movie lines ever.

I once tried top 10 coen brothers movie lines ever and it’s been a source of intense debate among friends for the 5 years since

in no particular order-
1- what’s the most you’ve lost on a coin toss?
2- and apparently that’s your accomplice there in the wood chipper?
3- you’re out of your element, Donnie
4- well that’s like your opinion man
5- strangers in the ass
6- if them men wanted a decent burial they should have got themselves killed in the summer
7- son, you got a panty on your head.
8- no ma’am, we didn’t escape. We released ourselves on our own recognizance. We felt the penitentiary system had nothing more to offer us.
9- a true story? I couldn’t swear to every detail but it’s certainly true that it is a story.
10 - well if this ain’t a mess, it’ll certainly do until the mess gets here.
outstanding.

He was in the conference finals last year, semis the year before, and played excellent in both runs. You're just plain wrong in this here. You don't get worse than Dirk being eliminated in the first round while being the 4th best player in that series, and not even the best player on his team. If nobody called that taint, nobody is going to call Jokic taint with Murray out for the playoffs. Especially if he keeps putting up big numbers. Plus Curry didn't make the playoffs, and Jokic has better playoff history than Embiid.
An MVP win raises the stakes for players. It would for Embiid as well.

ADVERTISEMENT