ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (Evaluating Herman's first (almost) 500 days...)

Amen. I love Tom Herman, but his ridiculous “binder” and crazy overly aggressive and just plain bad decisions early in the season might have cost Texas wins over Maryland and USC and almost turned the victory over K-State in OT into a loss. Now, if Herman had Vince Young, a good OL, Jamaal Charles at RB and a poor defense, FINE, go for it on 4th and 2. But the following “binder” decisions were bad game-coaching decisions that would make DKR, Tom Landry and Mack Brown shake their heads:

- Goes for it on 4th and goal at the Maryland 4 on the first drive of the 3rd quarter down 19?
- Going for 2 after cutting the Maryland lead to 10 midway through the 3rd quarter?
- Going for it on 4th and 2 from midfield trailing Maryland by only 3 with the whole 4th quarter to go, a great punter and Maryland now depending on a shaky pure freshman QB?

- Going for it on 4th and goal at the USC 3-yard line, on the road with a pure freshman QB in his 2nd start and foregoing the precious opportunity to grab the lead 3-0?

- Going for it on 4th and goal at the K-State 2-yard line in the 1st quarter with the score tied?

We dodged a bullet and won the K-State game in OT, but early victories over Maryland and #3 ranked USC on the road would’ve triggered major momentum and a likely 10 win season.

And I didn’t even mention the fateful 3rd and 2 pass play call against Tech from the Tech 39-yard line with 2:10 to go, Tech down to 1 timeout and the world’s greatest punter ready to pin them inside their 10 IF Texas fails to make the 1st down running the football (thereby causing Tech to burn their final time out).

I believe Herman will be far better at game-management next season...

This guy gets it.

Reactions: HorntoWin
Very thoughtful analysis on Herman's first 500 days ... greatly enjoyed.

Question: I always feel like locker room discord is something that mostly comes to light well after the fact ... are we actually learning more about 2017 locker room discord now or just reporting on it more matter of factly at this point?

Comment: Talent Evaluation & Player Development always seem to take a backseat to counting stars on recruits, but as we've seen with programs like K State & TCU v. Texas, in the end those factors are more important to the end product being put on the field.

Which is just an average season for Kane. ;-) I think Salah finishes second and Kane third. I just think MNC is having an even more special season - hell one for the ages. I get your take, just don't think the vote will go that way.

First, nine games to go is a lot so things could change but I agree with your take. If I was voting today it would be Salah. The real voters though are going to look at that monster season and find it hard not to pick the best player at Man City. A deep run in the Champions League would make that even more the case.

Last edited:
Hardly surprising that a team which came out to support and hug Charlie Strong at a press conference after cementing a 3rd straight losing season and loss to Kansas didn’t take kindly to Herman’s ways. Herman may be a Di-k but I doubt Lil’ Urban cares.

The first concert I ever attended was Prince at the Erwin Center, January 29th, 1985. I wasn't old enough to drive so my best friend and I had to convince my older brother to take us. My brother had a bit of Chet from Weird Science in him. He said, "Ok but you have to pay for me and my girlfriend, you guys sit in the back seat and aren't allowed to say a word on the ride there and back."

Prince in his prime. Still the best concert I've ever seen.

From the Erwin Center 1985:
princeerwincenter30jan1985byjaygodwin.jpg

From the Summit in Houston 1985:
rawImage.jpg

All that typing and all I remember is the good looking Co-ed, OB corrupted me over the weekend ;)

Very thoughtful analysis on Herman's first 500 days ... greatly enjoyed.

Question: I always feel like locker room discord is something that mostly comes to light well after the fact ... are we actually learning more about 2017 locker room discord now or just reporting on it more matter of factly at this point?

Comment: Talent Evaluation & Player Development always seem to take a backseat to counting stars on recruits, but as we've seen with programs like K State & TCU v. Texas, in the end those factors are more important to the end product being put on the field.
I think there was a ton of discussion about it in real-time last year.

The first concert I ever attended was Prince at the Erwin Center, January 29th, 1985. I wasn't old enough to drive so my best friend and I had to convince my older brother to take us. My brother had a bit of Chet from Weird Science in him. He said, "Ok but you have to pay for me and my girlfriend, you guys sit in the back seat and aren't allowed to say a word on the ride there and back."

Prince in his prime. Still the best concert I've ever seen.

From the Erwin Center 1985:
princeerwincenter30jan1985byjaygodwin.jpg

From the Summit in Houston 1985:
rawImage.jpg
giphy.gif

I think MJ was a fantastic entertainer, but Thriller, along with most of his music, was tied to music videos. When you think Thriller, you think of the historic 14-minute video and dancing monsters. When you think of Beat It, it's about the choreography in a pool hall. When you think Billie Jean, it's about the sidewalk lighting up on every step, or his Motown performance of the song. We don't really think of how great the song was musically, which is why most of us prefer to play Prince over MJ nowadays.

MJ is a cultural icon who directly paved the way for Prince. Everyone knows that.

However, Purple Rain is the better music album.

Let's hear the argument.

I would offer that When Doves Cry and Billie Jean cancel each other out. So does "The Beautiful Ones and PYT.

Give me Darling Nikki over Human Nature.

Purple Rain the song smashes Thriller.

Let's Go Crazy stands taller than Beat It.

I haven't even mentioned I Would Die For You or Computer Blue. One banger after another.
Am I an old? I literally have no idea what you're talking about. ;)

Well, @Ketchum is correct on this one. Prince > MJ. One was an all time great musician and one was an all time great entertainer. But Ketch is right...about this. Other stuff, not so much. :)

I think MJ was a fantastic entertainer, but Thriller, along with most of his music, was tied to music videos. When you think Thriller, you think of the historic 14-minute video and dancing monsters. When you think of Beat It, it's about the choreography in a pool hall. When you think Billie Jean, it's about the sidewalk lighting up on every step, or his Motown performance of the song. We don't really think of how great the song was musically, which is why most of us prefer to play Prince over MJ nowadays.

MJ is a cultural icon who directly paved the way for Prince. Everyone knows that.

However, Purple Rain is the better music album.
Bro hug headed your way Anwar. Both are great, just in very different ways.

I think of MJ as an entertainer and his MTV videos are among the greatest ever. An 80's icon beyond just music.

Prince was a musician and an artist through and through (BTW, a spectacular entertainer in his own right). MJ can't touch Prince's qualities as a musician.

Oh, and Prince didn't molest little boys.

Here's a reason it MIGHT go to Mo, and that is because of mo(mentum). See what I did there?

DeBrunye has scored one goal since 12/16. Since then he's added six assists(three coming in one game against Leicester).

Mo has scored 11 goals and five five assists in that same period. He's scored in 8 of the last 9 and simply been on fire. Clearly some good cases to be made, and the best player on the best team is always a solid one, but sometimes voters are also swayed by recent results.

Still some time to go and that could change either direction.

Mo is amazing but isn't he interchangeably special? The score/assist numbers for Kane and Aguero suggest that a capable striker at this age and stage in their career would succeed on that team in that system assuming the same contribution of everyone that plays behind them on the pitch.

In American football terms we are comparing 2 star WRs that play up top and are on the receiving end of someone else's work in the last 40% of the field to the work of a star QB/OL/DL/LB/K that plays 75% of the field and more minutes on a team full of talent that has been riddled with injuries this season.

They are all stars and any of the 3 winning shouldn't surprise anyone. Great season of football so far!

I think of MJ as an entertainer and his MTV videos are among the greatest ever. An 80's icon beyond just music.

Prince was a musician and an artist through and through (BTW, a spectacular entertainer in his own right). MJ can't touch Prince's qualities as a musician.

I'm not making a negative claim against Mike's music. He made historic pop music. I just find Purple Rain to be truly special.

Mo is amazing but isn't he interchangeably special? The score/assist numbers for Kane and Aguero suggest that a capable striker at this age and stage in their career would succeed on that team in that system assuming the same contribution of everyone that plays behind them on the pitch.

In American football terms we are comparing 2 star WRs that play up top and are on the receiving end of someone else's work in the last 40% of the field to the work of a star QB/OL/DL/LB/K that plays 75% of the field and more minutes on a team full of talent that has been riddled with injuries this season.

They are all stars and any of the 3 winning shouldn't surprise anyone. Great season of football so far!

I'm out at comparing Aguero/Kane/Salah to 2* Wrs.

You are correct. I read something online comparing the two albums and if said if both musicians were on a desert island, Prince still could have made Purple Rain. Michael could have never made Thriller on his own.

Last edited:
Reactions: Stealuface
As much as I think Purple Rain is a better album objectively, Thriller is so ubiquitous that it almost feels wrong to say it loses to anything.

ADVERTISEMENT