ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (Good news and bad news)

(Sell) Most of my quibbles are with your percentages in road games. Until this team starts to display more consistency, there’s no way I view a trip to Stillwater (70 percent), Lubbock (75 percent) or Manhattan (80 percent) as anything close to sure-things or even smart bets. This is a team that still lacks a starting quarterback, a consistent offense or a top-60 defense.
I may have been generous with some of my percentages but based on your comment sounds like your expectations are low this year. If we can't win in Stillwater and Lubbock this year it's going to a long season and we may be talking of starting over yet again.
Not low, tempered. I'm not giving anyone the benefit of the doubt. Are you?

Hell, I still don't know who the quarterback will be and neither does the staff.

If you’re finding yourself excited these days about the direction of the program now that Strong’s roster is comprised of more Charlie’s guys than “Mack’s guys,” this fact will only send your enthusiasm to the moon and perhaps rightfully so.

I am THIS guy 100%.

And of course the staff turnover isn't ideal...and normally something I/anyone would be highly concerned about. But the recruiting he's been able to do, particularly this year, is pretty incredible considering all the turnover and unknowns that were going on DURING NSD.

i-6btw-png.1875

I am THIS guy 100%.

And of course the staff turnover isn't ideal...and normally something I/anyone would be highly concerned about. But the recruiting he's been able to do, particularly this year, is pretty incredible considering all the turnover and unknowns that were going on DURING NSD.

i-6btw-png.1875
Baxter!!!!

Reactions: WTexasHorn
Great write-up as always. Couple of thoughts:
  • The Beyonce vid was greatness.
  • On the surface, I completely agree that that the coaching changes made in the last few days are upgrades. However, just like any other team, it takes time to gel. It may be Sterlin's offense, but these guys all need to learn to work together quickly. You'd almost feel better if he took his entire offensive staff from Tulsa even if it meant downgrades at certain position coaches. That was never going to happen but the point is cohesion amongst the coaches is something that has to be developed ASAP.
  • The staff turnover is just another chink in Strong's armor for all the reasons you named. His comprehensive lack of attention to detail is killing his results. He needed to be aware of his blind spots and ensure that he built a staff around that masked his personal flaws instead of exposing them. Those may be the soft skills but clearly we know his approach for an offensive ideology was always wrong from the start. He is pressing the restart button but in year 3 he needs a massive improvement and has the following obstacles ahead of him - lots of new staff, unproven/unreliable QB's, very difficult schedule and a divided fan base.
  • If Strong fails this year, I think this old adage will sum up the "why": failing to plan is planning to fail. He has not planned for success in multiple material facets of his job.

Looks like a 12 year old confused boy. She's gross. It's amusing you thought that would actually help your argument.

By the way, if my dad would've attempted (no rational person would even try) to hold me back from signing a LOI to my favorite school when I was 18, we would've come to blows and then I would've taken him to court and won easily. That comment was beyond ridiculous.

Reactions: MATF and _Ghost_
The Peyton Manning story is nuanced and then some, but I will say that I’m always interested in truth prevailing over non-truth, even it means that it arrives behind motivations outside of simply telling the truth.

Clay Travis (yes I know everybody gets twisted panties about him around here) took people to school on all this yesterday on Cowherd. There's a LOT more to this than the one sided plaintiff court filing. This trainer even changed her story. That's shady shit but nobody seems to be too concerned about that. It's a TWENTY YEAR OLD STORY that has already been settled. Hell I don't even like Peyton Manning and it was an idiotic thing that he did...but this digging up bones witch hunt because some nerd writer has a sore vagina about Cam Newton is absurd to me. Story below if anyone wants to take a gander...

http://www.foxsports.com/college-fo...arget-of-fake-internet-outrage-brigade-021316

Clay Travis (yes I know everybody gets twisted panties about him around here) took people to school on all this yesterday on Cowherd. There's a LOT more to this than the one sided plaintiff court filing. This trainer even changed her story. That's shady shit but nobody seems to be too concerned about that. It's a TWENTY YEAR OLD STORY that has already been settled. Hell I don't even like Peyton Manning and it was an idiotic thing that he did...but this digging up bones witch hunt because some nerd writer has a sore vagina about Cam Newton is absurd to me. Story below if anyone wants to take a gander...

http://www.foxsports.com/college-fo...arget-of-fake-internet-outrage-brigade-021316
I don't listen to a word Clay Travis ever says. Total buster.

Looks like a 12 year old confused boy. She's gross. It's amusing you thought that would actually help your argument.

By the way, if my dad would've attempted (no rational person would even try) to hold me back from signing a LOI to my favorite school when I was 18, we would've come to blows and then I would've taken him to court and won easily. That comment was beyond ridiculous.
a. I'm slightly concerned that you see a pretty young woman in a gown and your thought is that she looks like a 12-year old boy.

She looks like this to you?

img_news_ben_kastner_followup.jpg

b. Not every prospect can get away with not signing a LOI, but a guy like Brandon Jones could and if the rug gets pulled out after signing day, he'd have options. The moment he signs his LOI, he loses all options and leverage.

You should listen to your dad.

"The smart money is that Williams will be asked to do his share of work on the recruiting trail, but he was likely brought in to develop young talent more so than find it."

This kind of scares me. I think we need a top recruiter with the talent we have been getting. I understand development is a big part. YOU ARE COACHING, THAT IS EXPECTED! I just think we need a good recruiter at WR and RB IMO.

Hope I am wrong. He definetly has alot of talent but he needs to bust his ACE and recruit like position coaches should IMO.

"The smart money is that Williams will be asked to do his share of work on the recruiting trail, but he was likely brought in to develop young talent more so than find it."

This kind of scares me. I think we need a top recruiter with the talent we have been getting. I understand development is a big part. YOU ARE COACHING, THAT IS EXPECTED! I just think we need a good recruiter at WR and RB IMO.

Hope I am wrong. He definetly has alot of talent but he needs to bust his ACE and recruit like position coaches should IMO.
Again, he's close to hitting 60. I'm not sure what you could expect. I'm guessing he'll get a region fairly close to Austin.

a. I'm slightly concerned that you see a pretty young woman in a gown and your thought is that she looks like a 12-year old boy.

She looks like this to you?

img_news_ben_kastner_followup.jpg

b. Not every prospect can get away with not signing a LOI, but a guy like Brandon Jones could and if the rug gets pulled out after signing day, he'd have options. The moment he signs his LOI, he loses all options and leverage.

You should listen to your dad.
A) Put a dress and a ton of make-up on that kid, and yes they probably look very similar. And I'm just as concerned for you thinking that is an attractive look.

B) Good parents don't stand in the way of their children's dreams. Preventing them from signing a LOI risks them losing everything and it's an absolutely silly suggestion.

Again, he's close to hitting 60. I'm not sure what you could expect. I'm guessing he'll get a region fairly close to Austin.

That's True. Did not realize he was that old. Knew he was up there but not close to 60 LOL. Just IMHO. He DEFINITELY KNOWS his stuff, with his experience. The talent he has worked with in the past, shows that!

On another note, glad we got a Texas guy at RB spot. He knows the Texas Culture, which I think is huge; and knows the region of recruiting. Which I like! I definetly LOVE that hire. Home Run! Excited to see the new coaches in action!

DB Coach? Thoughts?

Great write up worth the damn wait. If Haley leaves for same money I suppose I will be shocked, no matter his loyalty to the chief. Beyoncé bit was pure greatness.

Reactions: MATF
Don't let the source of the truth keep you from realizing it Ketch. Or put another way "don't blame/shoot the messenger". Travis may be a hack but he's not wrong in this instance.
This is a very nuanced conversation and he's not a guy that does nuance very well.

A) Put a dress and a ton of make-up on that kid, and yes they probably look very similar. And I'm just as concerned for you thinking that is an attractive look.

B) Good parents don't stand in the way of their children's dreams. Preventing them from signing a LOI risks them losing everything and it's an absolutely silly suggestion.
a. Again, I'm slightly concerned for you. Does this woman look like a 12-year old girl as well?

natalie-portman-rodarte-dress-oscars-2009-3.jpg

b. Stand in the way of dreams? Good grief, I'm not sure you understand the LOI process and the advantages of not signing one.

It doesn't take away any dreams, my man, but signing one sure can.

That's True. Did not realize he was that old. Knew he was up there but not close to 60 LOL. Just IMHO. He DEFINITELY KNOWS his stuff, with his experience. The talent he has worked with in the past, shows that!

On another note, glad we got a Texas guy at RB spot. He knows the Texas Culture, which I think is huge; and knows the region of recruiting. Which I like! I definetly LOVE that hire. Home Run! Excited to see the new coaches in action!

DB Coach? Thoughts?
Better go get a killer recruiter. KILLER.

Reactions: HookEmTM
What did Beyonce do at the Super Bowl halftime performance
She performed her new song "Formation", which has a lot of "black" imagery, including mentions of the black panthers, police violence, Katrina, etc...

This is a very nuanced conversation and he's not a guy that does nuance very well.

If it is so subtle then perhaps seeing all sides not just the plantiff's charges would seem to be important in determining the truth. Not saying Travis is the be all end all, but neither is the NY Post article which only gives one side of the story. You simply cannot make an educated determination off of that article alone.

Ketch, regarding the coach deflections as an indication of poor job performance, I think that certainly applies to the offensive staff. Nobody can question that he put together a bad staff, or rather a staff that was a bad and mismatched fit first from the beginning. I think he hired a terrific defensive staff that has suffered misfortune. Losing Rumph to Florida, losing Vaughn to previous recruiting scandal, and now another team attempting to hire away Haley. Bad happenstance on that side. Deserved criticism on the offensive side.

If it is so subtle then perhaps seeing all sides not just the plantiff's charges would seem to be important in determining the truth. Not saying Travis is the be all end all, but neither is the NY Post article which only gives one side of the story. You simply cannot make an educated determination off of that article alone.
I didn't say the NY Daily News piece was the complete truth. It is a one sided story.

However, there are some elements that seem hard to dispute, including the testimony of his teammates.

Ketch, regarding the coach deflections as an indication of poor job performance, I think that certainly applies to the offensive staff. Nobody can question that he put together a bad staff, or rather a staff that was a bad and mismatched fit first from the beginning. I think he hired a terrific defensive staff that has suffered misfortune. Losing Rumph to Florida, losing Vaughn to previous recruiting scandal, and now another team attempting to hire away Haley. Bad happenstance on that side. Deserved criticism on the offensive side.
Not so sure I can chalk it up to happenstance on the defensive side of the ball.

Not so sure I can chalk it up to happenstance on the defensive side of the ball.
Perhaps you're right. You'd know better than I. Ultimately, I think you said in awhile ago that Strong will either right this ship and never look back, or somebody else will come in and reap the benefits right away. I'm paraphrasing, but I agree with that viewpoint.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT