ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From The Weekend (Grading the Hires and so much more)

i reread my post, my tone was probably a little off, i am certainly excited for what Sark brings offensively and think he is a huge upgrade, I just think a 10 is high. I also want to temper my expectations a little in that regard, as he had 1 top 20 offense in 8 and 1/4 years at Washington and USC, was fired as an OC in the NFL, then came to Alabama with an offense that was top 2 in the country and kept it there. On resume I think there are other guys that deserve to be above him.
I rated him as a 10 on the offensive side of the ball, not as a head coach. If you can't give the xreater of arguably the greatest offense in the history of college football a 10, who gets it?

So..."Did Sarkisian do enough? Is this an all-star staff? How does this rank with the best coaching staffs we've seen since the arrival of Mack Brown in 1998? "

@Ketchum were you going to address?

So it’s all about the talent, and coaching and/or execution mean nothing? If that’s the case, Bama should win the NC every year instead of just 6 in 13...😏

Last edited:
I would have guessed it was only a local broadcast back then.
No they had Monday night baseball in the 70s and it was the game of the week for obvious reasons. I had forgotten about Monday night baseball until you asked me that question. Back then without cable, sports events on tv were a much bigger deal. You would go to school and talk to your friends about the games because everybody watched them.

Reactions: longball64
No they had Monday night baseball in the 70s and it was the game of the week for obvious reasons. I had forgotten about Monday night baseball until you asked me that question. Back then without cable, sports events on tv were a much bigger deal. You would go to school and talk to your friends about the games because everybody watched them.
so America got lucky that it happened when it did.

Geez, Ketch nothing like going out on a limb! lol. Odd, that after such high marks for the new staff you would have so little faith of their coaching & recruiting prowess not translating into a heck of a lot more success on the field.
You've watched for the last decade, right?

So how concerned should we be that the recruiting grades for all defensive coaches on the staff are 8.5, 7.5, 6.5, 6.5, and 6.5, when you also consider that the head coach is an offensive guy and may not be able to assist as much in recruiting on the defensive side of the ball as he can help on the offensive side of the ball?

So how concerned should we be that the recruiting grades for all defensive coaches on the staff are 8.5, 7.5, 6.5, 6.5, and 6.5, when you also consider that the head coach is an offensive guy and may not be able to assist as much in recruiting on the defensive side of the ball as he can help on the offensive side of the ball?
I'm not overly concerned. Gideon is going to need to be a key piece of the puzzle.

Interesting interpretation. Not sure where I said it was "all about talent." Is it that difficult to have some sense of nuance?

Sorry, Wasn’t specifically aimed at you. Just a tongue-in-cheek comment to another post above talking about Bama’s success being all Saban, and having to wait until his high-flying assistants are on their own to see how good they really are.

It’s the “chicken or the egg” metaphor. I agree on the Saban thing to some degree, but I think Sark’s offensive successes pre-Bama show that he’s at least got plenty of coaching chops on that side of the ball.

Reactions: RLong68
Great coaching break down did you do a similar eating system for sark with coaching and recruiting

... Baylor might legit win a national championship in men's basketball this year. If you haven't seen the Bears play, you need to know they are GOOD. A Gonzaga match-up in the Tournament would be an amazingly good basketball game.
I turned the Baylor/Okie ST game on Saturday and Baylor was winning by 2 coming out of a timeout. From that point on they took Okie St to the wood shed and then some. There is nothing to say but they are legit and the potential match up with Gonzaga in the final could be amazing. That said I sure hope Shaka and the boys can figure out a way.

You've watched for the last decade, right?
I know. I get it. We've all been beaten to pulp from all the massive failures on the field & in recruiting. As a result I've gone from anger & frustration to near apathy {as I did with Jerry & The Cowboys some time ago}. Sark himself & the kick-ass staff he's assembled has me pumped! So considering the caliber of coaches we have now, the players we have {and better ones sure to come} seems like a good bet Sark is going to win a lot more than 1 Big 12.
I know, I know. Seeing is believing, right {as with the Cowboys, but that took a good 15 yrs for me to get that way}.

Sorry, Wasn’t specifically aimed at you. Just a tongue-in-cheek comment to another post above talking about Bama’s success being all Saban, and having to wait until his high-flying assistants are on their own to see how good they really are.

It’s the “chicken or the egg” metaphor. I agree on the Saban thing to some degree, but I think Sark’s offensive successes pre-Bama show that he’s at least got plenty of coaching chops on that side of the ball.

Got it.

Dude, get a hobby. Annoying people is not considered one.

giphy.gif

"Under Pressure" is way too low on the list. That's an all-time top 10 song. And you can remove "Don't Stop Me Now" completely.

So, no coach that has ever coached at Alabama other than Nick gets any credit?

Kirby Smart was just a lucky break for UGA?

Not saying that. I'm saying that they don't deserve these fantastic grades until they're off the Saban teat b/c their prior experience certainly doesn't warrant it.

As for Smart, the very fact that you bring him up is my point. He now has some skins on the wall and has proven himself away from Saban. How come you didn't bring up Applewhite or any of the other turds Saban has polished over the years.

I can't imagine how you would've graded Herman coming in.

I know. I get it. We've all been beaten to pulp from all the massive failures on the field & in recruiting. As a result I've gone from anger & frustration to near apathy {as I did with Jerry & The Cowboys some time ago}. Sark himself & the kick-ass staff he's assembled has me pumped! So considering the caliber of coaches we have now, the players we have {and better ones sure to come} seems like a good bet Sark is going to win a lot more than 1 Big 12.
I know, I know. Seeing is believing, right {as with the Cowboys, but that took a good 15 yrs for me to get that way}.
This coaching staff definitely helps close the gap. I'm not sure folks realize how much of an edge it has had in couching in recent years.

Not saying that. I'm saying that they don't deserve these fantastic grades until they're off the Saban teat b/c their prior experience certainly doesn't warrant it.

As for Smart, the very fact that you bring him up is my point. He now has some skins on the wall and has proven himself away from Saban. How come you didn't bring up Applewhite or any of the other turds Saban has polished over the years.

I can't imagine how you would've graded Herman coming in.
I disagree. Flood's resume is very impressive, whether we include Alabama or not.

Same with Banks. He landed out of state five stars at A&M as a recruiter.

ADVERTISEMENT