ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From The Weekend (Grading the Hires and so much more)

He hit the record tieing HR I believe on Saturday before. I watched that and it was on National TV. Both games were on network tv that had been scheduled well before in anticipation. I believe Aaron sat out the game before the Monday night game since it wasn’t televised.
I missed out!

@60rocks I respect and totally understand your reservations but there are certainly reasons to be optimistic specifically regarding Sarkisian, Flood and Banks. I've actually been trying to deep dive into the coaches for my podcast but I just wanted to share.

1.) Sark did better than an "above average' job taking an 0-11 Washington eventually to 9 wins and multiple bowl victories. That not only provides head coaching experience but an ability to build up a program. He has also developed numerous QBs including the many he had at USC and Alabama but also Jake Locker into an NFL prospect. USC won 9 games in year one and signed a top recruiting class before the drinking derailed his career. The drinking = bad but the wins and #1 recruiting class = good.

People point to Sark being fired from Atlanta but in 2018 Matt Ryan had career highs in completions, completion percentage, 2nd highest TD passes and career low in interceptions. Sure he was fired but the offense actually improved the 2nd year and if you look at that season, the defense (like it is now) was the primary issue. More on that later.

He then went to Alabama and yes they were loaded but in his second year after replacing the majority of the offensive personnel he led them to the best offense they've ever had with a QB that wasn't exactly Trevor Lawrence (no slight to Jones because I think he is really good too). Based off of his history and various circumstances, odds are if Sarkisian is coaching your QBs, he will do well with them. In the games that were closer to equal talent being on the field, Tua had 4 Td passes against LSU last year while Mac Jones had 4 TD passes against Georgia and 5 TD passes against Ohio State this past year in the national championship.

2.) On Kyle Flood, I've really had to look hard for any significant evidence of success at Rutgers. The offenses ranked really well nationally (20s) from 2005-2009 when there was talent at RB (rice) and QB (Savage) but Rutgers is just such a 'meh' team I dont know how to appropriately weigh most of their offensive statistics from 2005-2015. They are mostly in the 50-70s range outside of a couple of really bad offensive seasons. Obviously he was highly thought of to consistently receive promotions from position coach to coordinator to head coach but they really had no chance especially the big 10 of being competitive. For example, Flood's last year they went 4-8 but 6 of those losses were against Penn State, Michigan, Ohio State, Michigan State, Nebraska and Wisconsin. Rutgers never beats those teams doesn't matter who is the head coach lol. To further that point, Rutgers has won about 14 games in the last 6 years. On a positive note- Rutgers was top 10 in the country in QB sacks allowed per game in 2012, ranked 3rd in the big ten in sacks allowed and 5th in the big 10 in TFL allowed in 2014 and ranked tied for 2nd in the big 10 in TFL allowed and 9th in sacks allowed in 2015.

It is difficult to gather evidence at Atlanta too. In 2017, Atlanta had a top 10 offense in yardage and top 15 in scoring. In 2018, they had an abysmal running game but starting rb devonta freeman and both starting guards went on the IR. That offense however still remained in the top 10 yardage, specifically top 5 in passing and top 10 in scoring. Now I'm not sure how much Flood's role plays into all of that but he was once again promoted at Atlanta with more responsibilities (clock management) along with being the assistant OL coach.

Then of course we look at Alabama where Sarkisian must have also saw something in Flood who has basically been the recipient of promotions everywhere he has been. When you have coaches who succeed at a place like Alabama you really have to look hard to find examples of real impact. A couple of positive data points include- A.) Alabama had its best ever efficiency rating on third down (59.1 percent) and its highest ever efficiency rating in the red zone (90.7%). B.) His group won the Joe Moore as the best OL unit which Alabama even with all of its dominance has only won one other time. C) Starting RB Harris ended up running for more career yards than any other Alabama RB and if you look at the two seasons of Tua and Mac Jones they are the best passing numbers of any QB in Alabama history. Alabama also allowed its lowest ever amount of sacks per game in 2019 and were top 10 in TFL allowed in 2020. That is quite a few of "highest/lowest ever" and "best ever" for the Sark/ Flood combo even at a school like Alabama.

3.) Banks is considered a great recruiter by literally everyone. Seriously you could look up whoever it is that you trust on college football or any fan for that matter and they will tell you he is one of the best. He's from Texas, he builds relationships and he knows how to close. Period. Plus, His special teams expertise was not only shown at Alabama and Texas A&M but also at UTEP where he led the league in special teams statistic and at Idaho State where they led the nation in net punting twice in his three seasons.

Herman and his staff were able to get us really close in 2018 and the amount of experience and expertise on this staff is vastly superior to that one was at the time. Obviously the proof is in the pudding but the ingredients are top shelf. Hopefully that makes the burnt orange kool aid a little bit easier to drink in the meantime lol.

GREAT stuff and well written and laid out. Thanks for researching all of that.

While I don't discount all of these coaches' past experiences, I'm also not going to discount the great benefit they receive from their time at Alabama. Flood did not get hired at Texas because of his success elsewhere, nor did SS, nor did Banks....they were hired because of their time at Alabama under Saban.

SS was 34-29 at Washington (24-21 in conference), was 1-2 in bowl games (he resigned before his 2013 bowl game) and never finished better than 3rd in a weak Pac12 conference. Had a good 2014 season at USC and then the disaster in 2015. Did he make Washington better? Yep. Would Texas have hired him had he not gone to Alabama...no.

Don't know what else to say about Flood than I've already typed in this thread. Did he make make Rutgers better while there? Yep. Would Texas have hired him had he not gone to Alabama...no.

I mentioned that I saw goodness in Banks's ability to recruit from his days at aggy. Certainly hoping that his prowess moves over with him outside of the SEC.

I've supported this team through thick and thin and haven't missed a home game or TX/ou game in the 33 years since being a freshman at Texas. I'll drink the kool aid, but I'm going to temper my expectations until these guys prove to me that their amazing recent coaching successes are not in large part directly related to being under the wing of the GOAT.

Reactions: Coach_Bass

While I don't discount all of these coaches' past experiences, I'm also not going to discount the great benefit they receive from their time at Alabama. Flood did not get hired at Texas because of his success elsewhere, nor did SS, nor did Banks....they were hired because of their time at Alabama under Saban.

SS was 34-29 at Washington (24-21 in conference), was 1-2 in bowl games (he resigned before his 2013 bowl game) and never finished better than 3rd in a weak Pac12 conference. Had a good 2014 season at USC and then the disaster in 2015. Did he make Washington better? Yep. Would Texas have hired him had he not gone to Alabama...no.

Don't know what else to say about Flood than I've already typed in this thread. Did he make make Rutgers better while there? Yep. Would Texas have hired him had he not gone to Alabama...no.

I mentioned that I saw goodness in Banks's ability to recruit from his days at aggy. Certainly hoping that his prowess moves over with him outside of the SEC.

I've supported this team through thick and thin and haven't missed a home game or TX/ou game in the 33 years since being a freshman at Texas. I'll drink the kool aid, but I'm going to temper my expectations until these guys prove to me that their amazing recent coaching successes are not in large part directly related to being under the wing of the GOAT.
Is there a specific grade I've given to any coach that you have an issue with because I haven't seen anyone complain about even one of them?

Your argument basically gives all the Bama success to Saban because of the “juggernaut” he’s developed. That suggests that you think it’s all about the Head Coach. If so, you can’t criticize the results that any of these coaches had as assistants before being at Bama. Those issues should be laid at the foot of the head coach too, correct?

On Flood’s background, he was at Rutgers...RUTGERS. They’ve been a P5 school for a whopping SEVEN seasons. For a coach to win any P5 games there is impressive at this point.

Bottom line is you seem pissed/jilted/skeptical. I get it, but no one is saying UT wins the NC next year or even in the next 2-3 years. What’s been said is that at least the assistant coaches selected appear to be better than those selected during Strong’s and Herman’s first seasons, and that’s where it needs to start for us to truly improve.

Regarding "synergy," among coaches, I would think the offense side of the ball has it already, recruiting and playing football.

On the defense side, WOW. Lots of alpha male coaches coming together to work as a team for the first time. Might take a while for the pecking order to be established.

It's shallow thinking to gauge success at Rutgers based on conventional grading. @60rocks wants to ding Flood for things like wins over power five teams as a way of undermining what he accomplished at Rutgers without acknowledging that the program has only won nine combined games in the five years since he left and never more than 4 games in any season. He was fired for going 4-8 because of the standard that he and Greg Schiano created. From 1980-2005, Rutgers never had a single season as good as two that Flood had as a coach. If you want to say that three years after Schiano left that Flood was still piggy-backing the program he built, I'll listen to the argument, but I'm not going to let someone be dismissive of winning 8 or 9 games at a place like Rutgers when it's so historically rare in the grand scheme of things.

Exactly. Plus, I was more interested in how Flood did as a position coach than a head coach because there is so much more duties involved being the top guy. He’s had an incredible progression to where he his now that places the odds of being successful at Texas in his favor.

Sidenote- How would you think this staff relates to the one Sark had at USC? They obviously recruited really well and I wonder if the staff compares favorably. Sark’s background suggest that he believes you live or die on the recruiting trail and that has me really excited.

It's shallow thinking to gauge success at Rutgers based on conventional grading. @60rocks wants to ding Flood for things like wins over power five teams as a way of undermining what he accomplished at Rutgers without acknowledging that the program has only won nine combined games in the five years since he left and never more than 4 games in any season. He was fired for going 4-8 because of the standard that he and Greg Schiano created. From 1980-2005, Rutgers never had a single season as good as two that Flood had as a coach. If you want to say that three years after Schiano left that Flood was still piggy-backing the program he built, I'll listen to the argument, but I'm not going to let someone be dismissive of winning 8 or 9 games at a place like Rutgers when it's so historically rare in the grand scheme of things.

It's funny to hear you get personal by (so far) calling me ridiculous, shallow and dismissive about my opinions that I have facts for on this thread given your recent history. It also boggles my mind that you bring up Schiano as another reason to not give Flood credit (which I thought of but didn't bring up) and then immediately refute yourself......

As far as letting me be dismissive....please. If you want to skip down the street in joy about the hires, feel free. I'm going to take a more cautious approach this time because I see recency bias in these Bama hires that I HOPE work out. And if they do, I'll be happy as hell.

Your argument basically gives all the Bama success to Saban because of the “juggernaut” he’s developed. That suggests that you think it’s all about the Head Coach. If so, you can’t criticize the results that any of these coaches had as assistants before being at Bama. Those issues should be laid at the foot of the head coach too, correct?

On Flood’s background, he was at Rutgers...RUTGERS. They’ve been a P5 school for a whopping SEVEN seasons. For a coach to win any P5 games there is impressive at this point.

Bottom line is you seem pissed/jilted/skeptical. I get it, but no one is saying UT wins the NC next year or even in the next 2-3 years. What’s been said is that at least the assistant coaches selected appear to be better than those selected during Strong’s and Herman’s first seasons, and that’s where it needs to start for us to truly improve.

I think in Alabama's case, coaches have come and gone A LOT with the one consistent being Saban.

I will certainly agree with you that these coaches make me feel better than they did when Strong and Herman came in and I have hope. I will also admit to being a bit jaded given all the insane coaching turnover we've had in the last 10 years. I tend to believe that there's big value in consistency but Herman lost me completely during ISU and it was time for a change.

Recruiting big time talent is the big time solution....the teams at the top prove that every year. REALLY hoping these Bama guys can bring the recruiting wood to ATX....but again, I need to see what they can do away from the hottest school in the hottest conference without the hottest coach in the land.

c. This roster isn't within a 10-foot pole of the team Mack inherited IMO.

you might be right however if Robinson comes on next year like Ricky especially his last season under Mack a 9 win season is possible.

that duplicates Mack's win total year one and set the tone moving forward.

the 1997 team had talent, they just quit on Mackovic. his arrogance cost him. and he didn't learn a thing from it as his disastrous and short tenure at Arizona proved. that team didn't just quit on him, they revolted.

deserthorn1955 said:

Sark starts the 2022 season with at least 5 scholarship QBs.
(Sell) That feels almost impossible to expect.

also might be too many roosters in the hen house. if you have that many one likely flies the coop.

Texas QBs will have no less than 4 games with at least a 230 QB efficiency rating next season with Sark calling plays.

(Sell) Whatchu talkin bout, Willis?

agree, might be too much to expect in year one. later .. probably.

MikeCorleone said:

The program gets full Spring and August practices.
(Buy) Absolutely.

let's hope so, in fact let's hope every program does. that hurt Herman somewhat with two new coordinators but no one got a full spring last year. this year it's even more critical for UT because it's all new from the top down.

Rider54 said:

A lot of us had BIG problems with the RB rotation this past year, and to a somewhat lesser extent with the WR rotation. These are the two positions where Sark kept coaches from the old staff. You foresee this being an issue again in 2021 because of the assistants involved in these two positions?
(Sell) I don't think the rotation will be an issue at all.

agree. say what you want about Herman not playing Robinson as much as some would like he was a true frosh and despite his obvious talent that's a big leap from high school to a big time Power 5 program.

also Sark will rotate because you have to, keep players fresh and avoid wearing them out before the money quarter. and avoid injury from fatigue.

Linebackers/Co-Defensive Coordinator (Jeff Choate)

The single best fact about Choate I can find as a coach: Nearly landing the Boise State head coaching job this month says all you need to know about how his work at Montana State has been perceived in Big Sky country.

Final thought: Choate might be my favorite hire on the entire staff just because Sarkisian took a head coach that was getting better head coaching looks and turned him into a position coach. Personally, I think Choate ranks as one of the best position coaches in the entire Big 12.

agree. his record at Montana St. (which i had to look up as i don't follow D2 ball) is exactly the kind of quick turnaround from 4-7 to 11-4 in four years that gets big looks from the big programs. this past season didn't have a lot of churn especially in the Power 5 but you keep that up and it won't be long before the major programs come calling.

might be the best pure coach on the new staff.

@Ketchum You can save this one for the next 10TFW. B/S a.) The floor for this coaching staff is Tom Herman's tenure. b.) The ceiling for this coaching staff is Mack Brown's 04-09. Which do you favor at the moment?

Exactly. Plus, I was more interested in how Flood did as a position coach than a head coach because there is so much more duties involved being the top guy. He’s had an incredible progression to where he his now that places the odds of being successful at Texas in his favor.

Sidenote- How would you think this staff relates to the one Sark had at USC? They obviously recruited really well and I wonder if the staff compares favorably. Sark’s background suggest that he believes you live or die on the recruiting trail and that has me really excited.
Sark's original staff at USC had a LOT of his UW staff with him. IT doesn't really compare IMO.

you might be right however if Robinson comes on next year like Ricky especially his last season under Mack a 9 win season is possible.

that duplicates Mack's win total year one and set the tone moving forward.

the 1997 team had talent, they just quit on Mackovic. his arrogance cost him. and he didn't learn a thing from it as his disastrous and short tenure at Arizona proved. that team didn't just quit on him, they revolted.
The Big 12 as a whole was much stronger at the top back in 1999.

It's funny to hear you get personal by (so far) calling me ridiculous, shallow and dismissive about my opinions that I have facts for on this thread given your recent history. It also boggles my mind that you bring up Schiano as another reason to not give Flood credit (which I thought of but didn't bring up) and then immediately refute yourself......

As far as letting me be dismissive....please. If you want to skip down the street in joy about the hires, feel free. I'm going to take a more cautious approach this time because I see recency bias in these Bama hires that I HOPE work out. And if they do, I'll be happy as hell.
It's funny to me that you couldn't name a single specific grade that I gave that you disagreed with, which is what I asked you to do, if you could.

Excuse me while I skip down the street while dismissing you as short-sighted and incapable of hanging with me in the conversation. ;)

Worn Down

Need Good news.....

Ketch,
I just do not hear much emphasis on the o-line (especially over the next two years).
It just seems like we always overlook this area.
To me, almost everything works (or can work a lot better or cover up a few things) when you have a GOOD o-line play.
Flood had a lot of very HIGH caliber personnel already on the Alabama team to work with.
He also had a hell of a lot easier route to signing 4-5 star personnel in the two years there.
Come on..... Alabama's track record & Saban basically signs the personnel itself.
I thought we heard almost the same stuff about Hand as we are hearing about Flood.
Without a winning track record, stud o-line personnel already in house, , history of signing stud o-line personnel, the next two years may be brutal.
Hiring a new op-line coach and spreading some pixey dust will not transform the o-line within the next two years .... just seems far reaching....
We will have a new QB and he will need a bit more time in the pocket this year.
I just see a brutal two years minimum on the offensive side - with the new QB scrambling around with minimal time ....
Over the recent years watching the o-line play - the glass is half empty, not half full.
Need some kool-aid ....

Worn Down

Need Good news.....

Ketch,
I just do not hear much emphasis on the o-line (especially over the next two years).
It just seems like we always overlook this area.
To me, almost everything works (or can work a lot better or cover up a few things) when you have a GOOD o-line play.
Flood had a lot of very HIGH caliber personnel already on the Alabama team to work with.
He also had a hell of a lot easier route to signing 4-5 star personnel in the two years there.
Come on..... Alabama's track record & Saban basically signs the personnel itself.
I thought we heard almost the same stuff about Hand as we are hearing about Flood.
Without a winning track record, stud o-line personnel already in house, , history of signing stud o-line personnel, the next two years may be brutal.
Hiring a new op-line coach and spreading some pixey dust will not transform the o-line within the next two years .... just seems far reaching....
We will have a new QB and he will need a bit more time in the pocket this year.
I just see a brutal two years minimum on the offensive side - with the new QB scrambling around with minimal time ....
Over the recent years watching the o-line play - the glass is half empty, not half full.
Need some kool-aid ....
I think there is emphasis. It's talked about a lot.

I think the mergence of Karic and Majors eased some concerns, but this group lacks depth and high end talent.

Texas is looking at at least one OL in the portal and I would guess more if they can bring in someone they think can be an immediate starter.

It's funny to me that you couldn't name a single specific grade that I gave that you disagreed with, which is what I asked you to do, if you could.

Excuse me while I skip down the street while dismissing you as short-sighted and incapable of hanging with me in the conversation. ;)

Didn't even see you ask that in the thread but....as I've stated, regardless of the exact grade number you assign, I want to see the Alabama guys operate outside of the nest and away from the average results they've had elsewhere before anointing them saviors. I could care less about your grade because in the end, every situation is different. You can be an B student in one high school and the valedictorian at another. Parents move kids to easier schools all the time to better their class rank....
Aggy had better recruiting while Banks was there....they were average on the field while he was there. Flood had 3 OL go to the league in 10 years at Rutgers, Schinao was the dude there anyway. He was assistant OL coach in the league before being let go in 2 years. Who knows what happened in these situations. Since then, Saban has handed these guys 4 and 5 star guys every year.

I'm done with this discussion and you're not going to change my mind. I don't come here for your opinion (or I would've left after you called out our former players during the racial unrest we found ourselves in last year).....I pay for recruiting news, practice reports, rumor mill and the occasional restaurant recommendation or laugh.

Let it go.

The Big 12 as a whole was much stronger at the top back in 1999.

i'd agree with that. in the late 90's ZerOU was a train wreck under John Blake. Texas was solid under Mackovic until it all fell apart on him in 97 and at the least there was A&M under Slocum, Nebraska still winning big with Osbourne and K State emerging with Bill Snyder as a top program. might be forgetting a few but that's at least 4 teams that regularly contended for the SWC/Big 12 title.

in the 2000's it turned into the UT ZerOU game every year.

R. C. Slocum was a class act. never could understand why A&M forced him out.

ADVERTISEMENT