ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (Heads need to roll in Waco)

Good work Ketch!

79symq.gif

This is pretty much how I feel. By using the "I cried" story, which I believe is more likely than not a fabrication, Ketch was able to make it all about him. Look at me. I'm Martin Luther Caesar Chavez B. Anthony, and I deserve a statue and streets named after me, too.

Just how it comes across to me, narcissistic, self-important, and self-serving. Not genuine.

And I don't have an issue with guys crying. I cry all the time watching movies. In about 8 scenes in Braveheart. But who just thinks back about a 5 year old news story and bursts into sobbing tears out of the blue? I find it to be an unlikely and convenient story. Of course, there's no way to prove or disprove it, and that's the beauty of it for Ketch. Nobody ever said he wasn't shrewd. He would make a great politician.
I cry every September 11th. There is usually stories about the events, and I cry because of the inhumanity of the attack. I really doubt his 10 thoughts were motivated by anything other than his contempt for those Baylor staff that allowed this to happen and the felon. I'd like to understand why this is so hard to believe. I agree that the media sensationalize events in the interest of sales. I just don't think this is an occurrence of that. I prefer to believe he has a sincere desire to see improvement in the handling of these situations whether it's Baylor, Lane, ND or UT for that matter. Having a daughter makes us a bit more sensitive toward violence against females but I'd bet he'd be equally outraged if the victim was a boy. I hope his motivation is a concern for yet again a violation of common decency.

You would feel nothing because "It's impossible to hurt my feelings." if one of your family was similarly victimized? If so, I'll pray for you and your family.
Maybe read the entire thread before commenting chief.
Also thanks for the prayer, I'll write a letter to Santa Claus for you.

Reactions: texasguy2310
@Ketchum Not sure how I missed this, but finally had a chance to read your ten thoughts Ketch.

You hit the nail on everything I've been feeling. Personally I think it may be your best work yet. In fact, I'd say it should have been a stand alone piece not included in your ten thoughts. That may have detracted from some of the naysayers.

The emotion you conveyed, and raw honesty, is what I, and I'm sure many other fathers with little girls (not dependent on their age) have felt. As the details of the case have come forward, I can not tell you how many times I've felt nauseated thinking about the hard truth of not only how some coaches run their teams, but how society as a whole treats women. Every time I hug my 6 yr old daughter, it hits home thinking about having to navigate the land mines as she grows up. To think that someone, and some folks of power are so calloused to disregard their well being for the almighty win is disgusting.

Whats even more disheartening is reading some of the responses from fellow OB's. I get it that your views change as you become a parent, and it strikes a chord closer to home as a father of a little girl.

What should not leave you is your compassion as a human being. I quit reading after page 4. I first lost a lot of hope in the general populace after sitting on a jury panel for 10 days in a case and realizing that a jury of my peers were completely devoid of common sense. After reading some of the responses here, its not shocking to realize where we are today in society.

For those that poke fun because of your emotion, I feel sorry for them. They have obviously never experienced a love so deep that it brings you to tears. That is a shame.

For the coaches, presidents, and fan bases that can choose to turn a blind eye on doing the right thing, and in turn literally ruin the life of another so they can have another blue chip in reserve, I say go to hell.

Kudos for your thoughts and thank you!

@Ketchum Not sure how I missed this, but finally had a chance to read your ten thoughts Ketch.

You hit the nail on everything I've been feeling. Personally I think it may be your best work yet. In fact, I'd say it should have been a stand alone piece not included in your ten thoughts. That may have detracted from some of the naysayers.

The emotion you conveyed, and raw honesty, is what I, and I'm sure many other fathers with little girls (not dependent on their age) have felt. As the details of the case have come forward, I can not tell you how many times I've felt nauseated thinking about the hard truth of not only how some coaches run their teams, but how society as a whole treats women. Every time I hug my 6 yr old daughter, it hits home thinking about having to navigate the land mines as she grows up. To think that someone, and some folks of power are so calloused to disregard their well being for the almighty win is disgusting.

Whats even more disheartening is reading some of the responses from fellow OB's. I get it that your views change as you become a parent, and it strikes a chord closer to home as a father of a little girl.

What should not leave you is your compassion as a human being. I quit reading after page 4. I first lost a lot of hope in the general populace after sitting on a jury panel for 10 days in a case and realizing that a jury of my peers were completely devoid of common sense. After reading some of the responses here, its not shocking to realize where we are today in society.

For those that poke fun because of your emotion, I feel sorry for them. They have obviously never experienced a love so deep that it brings you to tears. That is a shame.

For the coaches, presidents, and fan bases that can choose to turn a blind eye on doing the right thing, and in turn literally ruin the life of another so they can have another blue chip in reserve, I say go to hell.

Kudos for your thoughts and thank you!
We go back a long way. Thanks for sharing that.

Maybe read the entire thread before commenting chief.
Also thanks for the prayer, I'll write a letter to Santa Claus for you.
I wasn't meaning this as an attack on you or your position re: BOBA. I was simply questioning your statement that you can't be hurt. Sorry if you took offense.

Reactions: babyshoe
A few things if you care to read and digest them from someone that has an intimate knowledge of the legal system, evidence rules, procedural rules, and some idea of basic communication between individuals that doesn't always come across as it may be intended:
  • First, I know you do not have an agenda that is in anyway looking to protect Briles/Baylor as @Take Dead Aim has suggested. I don't really know you as a poster TDA, but @texasguy2310 is unquestionably an entrenched Longhorn fan and graduate if memory serves me correctly. This is not an issue where some Baylor troll is outing themselves;
  • Second, the Boise PD shouldn't be in the conversation here. Boise St., it's administration, and coach all acted swiftly to get this animal out of their program and school. I've seen nothing to suggest that his ex-girlfriend who was the subject of his violence was looking to press charges which is not shocking. She was scared, went to the administration/police, they protected her and had a plan to keep her away from Sam U., called his parents to inform them of what happened, and basically expelled him from campus. If Baylor acted in an even remotely similar fashion, do you think anyone is talking about this right now?
  • Bringing up other miscellaneous issues with the NCAA when a now convicted rapist--say that outloud: a convicted rapist--was allowed to stay on campus, protected by the administration and coaching staff when they said a few months ago they expected him to return to play football after his "issues" (which is apparently Baylor code for "rape trial") were resolved, is completely irrelevant when discussing this specific topic. Could we have a long talk about necessary reforms to the NCAA? Sure, we could do that for a while, but when it comes to a female being raped, then basically ignored and forced out of the university by the university administration, it's not really the time or place to have that discussion. This goes for the Case/Hicks situation as well--while those guys will never be confused with upstanding gentlemen by anyone that knows that story, they didn't pin down an 18 year old virgin, rape her, tell her "this isn't rape" while raping her, then stay enrolled and graduate while standing trial for rape at their respective universities (later being convicted of rape).
  • Art Briles knew the kids violent history against women, admitting he knew of a "rocky relationship with his ex-girlfriend," and I know you aren't the person that believes Briles' bullshit about that subject coming up only in the context that the kid was depressed. Peterson issued his statement that he fully appraised Briles of the situation and Briles changed his story in less than 12 hours to include the fact he knew of the relationship history of the ex-girlfriend, which he earlier said nothing other than depression and being homesick was ever discussed. You would think that asshole would bring up knowing about the ex-girlfriend, even if he's lying about the context, originally when he's denying knowledge about anything unless he thinks no one will call him out which is exactly what Peterson did. That is not an insignificant detail to omit when that ex-girlfriend is testifying against your player;
  • I think your issue is with who is covering it in detail and why--which when stepping back and viewing objectively, I don't think you're making a bad point--although the fact someone/anyone is trying to keep this at the forefront of discussion, regardless of motivation, isn't a bad thing IMO. It's disgusting what happened and I don't really care if the heat that stays on Briles/Baylor is coming from an objective or biased journalist--I just hope it keeps coming;
  • I think I've covered my thoughts on the BOBA issue, but despite all the thoughts I feel like I've spelled out in pretty specific detail, I think I've come around to the position that I hope @Ketchum let's him back on the board after a couple week timeout. I've seen guys like @echeese (see, tagged ya!) benefit from a little time-off when they were really pissing off a lot of people (rightly or wrongly), and BOBA probably deserves the same instead of an outright ban. I can't believe I'm typing that and it probably won't change my stance on reading his posts, but fair is fair is fair.
I think this issue in general will be a watershed issue. It's time to quit acting like this as football players, and it's time for coaches to quit taking players like this. There should be some sort of code where this doesn't happen without a significant amount of due diligence and reporting to someone in the university or NCAA your reasoning such that should something like this happens you can't run and hide behind a he said/she said argument. Brides took a chance and got burned. I'm not saying other coaches didn't take that chance, but he flat out took that chance. But he did, and he now has to answer for it. It's just the way it is and regardless of who reports on it, it's a story that bears reporting. I realize some may not agree, but with that being said just because someone is reporting on it, and pushing the agenda does not make them wrong. A girl was raped. She had to leave school. She's suffering from PTSD. The person that did it got dismissed from another university for very similar behavior. That player was slated to play this year. These are the facts. Apply this to any university in the country and whoever that coach is I don't care if it's Middle Tennessee State that coach should be gone. IMO that coach, that program, and that school will never move past this. This will be Briles legacy for as long as he is at Baylor.

FTR, I hate the Buy/Sell and Fantasy Draft portion of the Ten Thoughts every week - boring.

And Crazy is not the best Country song ever - He Stopped Loving Her Today takes that honor.

What makes something a personal crusade? If I tell you it was already a crusade of mine and that I've written about it numerous times and talked it about it on my radio show numerous times, when does it cross over into an area you believe becomes genuine? Your assertions paint me in the worst kind of light. It suggests I'm an opportunist and I somehow did this for motivations that are not pure to the conversation.

Look, I've dated women who have been sexually abused and assaulted. I have women in my direct family that have been abused and sexually assaulted.

I consider it a big deal, and yes, when the story is very close to home (I'm from Waco and grew up a Baylor fan. Also, a ton of my family including grandparents, dad and wife all went to Baylor), I'm going to focus on that more than situations I'm less familiar about.

You might not know me, but your comments in discussions towards me are almost always painted towards me ina negative light. In this exact moment you seem unwilling to pay attention to my history and the logical layers of the conversation and you seem to be challenging me to prove to you my sincerity.

As far as Derrick Burroughs is concerned, I have to admit I hadn't been completely caught up on that story, but yes, I'm appalled at the details after just looking at them. I also have written a lot about the Vandy case and simply forgot his exact connection to what happened there. I don't know how you let that kid into your program, even at little Lake College, under the circumstances, and I'd have serious questions for the coach, AD and president.
My daughter was raped by a pedophile so I can relate. I hope and pray the victims you know have recovered and not had their lives permanently scarred.

I have not. I have quite a bit on my schedule. Good questions, ones that definitely need to be answered.
Ketch, correct me if I'm wrong. I'm an old and I'm forgetful. SU was never convicted of anything in Boise, correct? He was kicked off the team but not kicked out of school. If no conviction, and Peterson indicated to Briles that he raped or sexually abused a girl, I think he and Boise could be sued for libel. He would have to be very careful with what he said to avoid this. He may have left it, in his conversation with Briles, with the expectation that Briles would read between the lines. True? If so, I wonder what specifically was said to Muschamp. Thoughts?

FTR, I hate the Buy/Sell and Fantasy Draft portion of the Ten Thoughts every week - boring.

And Crazy is not the best Country song ever - He Stopped Loving Her Today takes that honor.
a. I get the sense that Buy or Sell is fairly popular. It gets a lot of weekly discussion.

b. The fantasy stuff ends in the next week or two, but it's relatable IMO for a lot of people.

c. I said arguably.

My daughter was raped by a pedophile so I can relate. I hope and pray the victims you know have recovered and not had their lives permanently scarred.
I dated someone once when I was in college that was raped in HS and we were making out once, and she just became paralyzed in shock/fear, as she looked at me, but couldn't see anything but her attacker, which turned out to be the brother of a friend and she never told anyone.

Heavy thing to go through at 19.

She actually reached out to me this week and thanked me for the column, which she saw linked on FB.

Reactions: orangeuglad
Ketch, correct me if I'm wrong. I'm an old and I'm forgetful. SU was never convicted of anything in Boise, correct? He was kicked off the team but not kicked out of school. If no conviction, and Peterson indicated to Briles that he raped or sexually abused a girl, I think he and Boise could be sued for libel. He would have to be very careful with what he said to avoid this. He may have left it, in his conversation with Briles, with the expectation that Briles would read between the lines. True? If so, I wonder what specifically was said to Muschamp. Thoughts?
Everyone is lawyering up.

I dated someone once when I was in college that was raped in HS and we were making out once, and she just became paralyzed in shock/fear, as she looked at me, but couldn't see anything but her attacker, which turned out to be the brother of a friend and she never told anyone.

Heavy thing to go through at 19.

She actually reached out to me this week and thanked me for the column, which she saw linked on FB.

Same thing happened to me with a lady I was dating. She was 38, and it had happened when she was 18.

Ketch, I thank you for the article. I linked to it on my FB page. I hope that your quest for justice remains strong. Sometimes a noble purpose drives us to the best part of our lives. You have picked a noble purpose.

For those who don't understand the importance of one woman, versus all of sports put together, I feel for you. What Baylor did here, just like Notre Dame did with Lizzy, is despicable. The fact that these two supposed Christian institutions put a football victory over the life of on innocent woman is far more telling about their true souls than any bullshit they put in their marketing materials. I hope the bad PR hurts them in the only place they appear to care, their pocketbooks.

Carry on Ketch, carry on.

Everyone is lawyering up.

As a lawyer, I hope the victim here finds a good one. No amount of dollars will give her back what was taken from her. That said, I hope her lawyer gets her Baylor's new football stadium in settlement. That would be Gods way of evening up the score with sweet irony.

Reactions: BobisHorny
Just cancel. You clearly have a very low opinion about me.

I'll refrain from responding in full outside of that comment. Just cancel.
You kind of made my point. Why would I cancel? This is a great site. You deserve mad props for founding it, and I have a ton of respect for you as an entrepreneur and a businessman. You're a very talented guy. But the sustainability and continuing success of the site is not all about you. The editorial content you provide to this site is often an interesting take on things, but it is entirely replaceable and ignorable (for those who utilize the ignore feature - I don't). In fact, according to that poll the other day, like 80% of the membership - at least on some level - would like to punch you in the face, but you don't see any of them canceling their subs.

I made a lengthy post within an hour of their arrests that they must be thrown out of the program immediately. Strong did as much within two hours.
Why did it take you months to pile on Arterio Morris? Sanders was found not guilty and the charges against Meander were dismissed

Why did it take you months to pile on Arterio Morris? Sanders was found not guilty and the charges against Meander were dismissed

a. There really hasn't been any word on how the Morris situation was being handled until the day he met with the media. Could I have been on it earlier and said something earlier? Yes. Absolutely. Why didn't I? Probably just didn't have it my brain during the start of football.

b. The moment they were arrested, they needed to be indefinitely suspended until the situations were resolved. That is always going to be the protocol.

ADVERTISEMENT