ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (Herman and Beck have waited a lifetime for this...)

Ketchum

Resident Blockhead
Staff
May 29, 2001

When talking about the 2019 version of the Texas football team, let's just forget about Sam Ehlinger.

Oh, I know it's been almost a decade since Texas fans could feel good enough about their quarterback position going into a season that they can forget about it, if even for a brief moment, but hang in there with me.

Just forget Sam.

Instead, I'd like to focus on the pieces around Sam, which in our latest TicketCity Podcast turned into a discussion of the Texas talent, how much of it is unproven and how much any of that even matters.

On one hand, there's no getting around the fact that the Longhorns have a lot to replace on the offensive side of the ball, with the likes of Lil'Jordan Humphrey, Tre Watson, Andrew Beck and Calvin Anderson off to a world without the NCAA. I get it ... man ... I get it. When we start talking about the likes of Brennan Eagles or Jordan Whittington or Cade Brewer, we're mostly talking about a bunch of unproven players.

But, you know what? On the other hand, I just don't care.

As I outlined a few months ago, the 2019 Texas wide receiver unit shakes out on paper as the most talented group of receivers that any single Texas team has ever fielded. We're talking about five of the top 10 players in the history of the modern Rivals rankings (2002-19) being on the same team. That does not include the likes of Collin Johnson. Or Joshua Moore. Or Malcolm Epps. Or John Burt. Or Al’Vonte Woodard.

Outside of possibly Oklahoma, which happens to have its most talented stable of wide receivers it has probably ever had on campus at one time, there's not a Big 12 head coach that wouldn't shank someone if it meant that he could get his hands on the talent that Tom Herman has to work with this season at the skill positions.

That goes for the running backs, too.

Yes, we can talk about how Keaontay Ingram slowed down in the homestretch of the 2018 season, but let's not forget to mention that for most of the season his yards per carry as a true freshman was higher than any freshman back in the history of the program. Throw a five-star talent like Jordan Whittington into the mix and it's hard not to laugh at the running game problems that everyone is moderately concerned about.

These are rich program's problems.

Meanwhile, the offensive line is anchored by the best building block player in the entire league in sophomore Sam Cosmi, who plays left tackle and projects as a future first-round draft pick. Oh, and the Longhorns have one of the best interior linemen from the ACC joining the team in the fall and a senior center whom the Big 12 coaches seem to love more than Orangebloods posters.

Yes, depth issues remain, but there's not another Big 12 head coach that wouldn't trade his for Herman's ... point blank. Not even Lincoln Riley.

All of this brings me back to the guy I told you guys to forget about at the beginning of this column - Ehlinger.

In a world where the Longhorns have the best offensive line pieces in the Big 12, the best wide receiver unit in the history of the program and a one-two punch at running back that probably ranks as its best since a young Malcolm Brown/Jonathan Gray were on campus at worst, they also have a player that was the best player on the field against Georgia at the most important position in the sport.

When Herman was a young coach, he probably dreamed of one day having these types of pieces with which to work. Same with every offensive coach on the Texas roster.

If I had to choose between this kind of unproven and a different kind of proven, I'd take this unproven seven days of the week and twice on the day I write this column.

No. 2 - The De'Gabriel Floyd situation ...

In no real order, here's what's been going through my mind on the news that Texas true freshman linebacker De'Gabriel Floyd is dealing with a spinal issue that will keep him out of football in 2019.

a. Like everyone, my heart breaks for the kid. I cannot imagine the frustration of being so close to realizing a dream, only to have a situation like this occur and threaten the totality of all of it. Here's hoping that the rehab process allows for him to treat this like a bump in the road in a year from now instead of a complete detour.

b. In the wake of the death of former Longhorns offensive lineman Paden Kelley, I'd be lying if I said it hadn't crossed my mind that I'd rather he deal with an issue like this than some of the alternatives that exist. He's a bright, shining star of a young kid and he has his entire life in front of him, regardless of what happens with football in the future.

c. It's a big loss for the Texas football program from a talent standpoint if this proves to be a long-term problem, as Floyd is a player that projected as a future multi-year starter and a possible Sunday player. While it's impossible to know whether he'd have made an instant impact as a true freshman in 2019, there's no doubting that he's the most highly-rated/valued young linebacker in the entire program.

d. Floyd is a perfect example of why recruiting at an elite level every year matters. The best way to potentially replace a void in the program like this is to not sign another Floyd, but two. Or three. Or four.

e. Better learn how to say Ayodele Adeoye's name because his importance in the Texas program becomes even more significant. Ready or not, it's his show at the MAC linebacker position.

No. 3 - Remembering a Longhorn ...

Former Texas offensive lineman Paden Kelley passed away last week after losing his battle with cancer, just days after completing his chemotherapy treatment program.

At the age of 28, Kelley battled and defeated addiction before having to take on cancer, which is more than anyone should ever have to take on. As someone that had a chance to meet him when he was just a teenager and knew some of his family members before he was ever a college prospect, the news of his passing was another sober reminder to not take any day for granted.

Kelley might not have ever been a football star on the 40 Acres, but upon his graduation in 2016 he proved to have as much burnt orange blood running through his veins as anyone. The fact that he had taken his battles with sobriety by the throat and channeled his own battling of demons into helping others seeking to win their own battles was a noble dedication.

In honor of Kelley, I'd suggest that we all reach out to someone that we know needs the help with regards to addiction and be the kind of friend to them that Kelley would have wanted to be.

No. 4 - Better team debate: 2002-03 Texas vs.. 2018-19 Texas Tech ...

Until Texas Tech exploded its way into the Final Four last weekend and the national championship game on Saturday night, the 2003-04 version of the Texas Longhorns had represented the single best college basketball team from the Lone Star State in the last 35 years or so (since the 1982-83 Houston Cougars).

So, what about now?

If the Red Raiders win the national title on Monday night, they get to take the championship belt in this conversation no questions asked. However, since we have 24 hours to potentially discuss this, let's compare the two teams side by side.

Point Guard

TJ Ford (Texas) vs. Matt Mooney (Tech) - Advantage Texas

With all due respect to Mooney, who was sensational against Michigan State on Saturday, Ford was the National Player of the Year and rates as one of the best guards the state of Texas has produced in a generation.

Shooting Guard

Royal Ivey (Texas) vs. Jarrett Culver (Tech) - Advantage Texas Tech

With all due respect to Ivey, who was such a defensive stopper that he turned his skill set into a decade-long NBA career, Culver was this year's Big 12 Player of the Year and has a much more refined, complete game than Ivey did as a college player.

Wing

Brandon Mouton (Texas) vs. David Moretti (Tech) - Advantage Texas

The senior version of Mouton gets a slight nod over the sophomore version of Moretti. While the kid from Italy shoots the ball better from the floor and the free throw line, Mouton was a better shooter of the three-ball, as well as pretty much everything else on the floor.

Power Forward

Brad Buckman (Texas) vs. Tariq Owens (Tech) - Advantage Tech

Buckman was solid as a rock as a true freshman, but Owens is a flat out difference maker for the Red Raiders because of his length and athleticism. He's pretty much a poor man's Hakim Warrick.

Center

James Thomas (Texas) vs. Norense Odiase (Tech) - Advantage Texas

It's easy to forget how good of a college player Thomas was back then, but he outproduces Odiase by 2:1 levels in points and rebounding, while much of their side by side metrics are mostly a wash.

Bench

Brian Boddicker, Sydmil Harris and Jason Klotz (Texas) vs. Kyler Edwards, Brandone Francis and Deshawn Corprew (Tech) - Advantage Tech

Again, it's close, but Tech's bench provides a little more versatility and shooting

Coaching

Rick Barnes (Texas) vs. Chris Beard (Tech) - Advantage Tech

Beard seems like the 2.0 version of Barnes, complete with more confidence in what his team is going to do on the offensive end of the floor.

Overall - Advantage Texas

This would have been one hellacious game of basketball. At the end of the day, the Longhorns would have had the best player on the floor in Ford, which meant so much in 2003 until the team ran into Syracuse, which had a better player on its team than Texas' best. Honestly, you could probably flip a coin on these two, but as of this very moment, I'd probably lean to the 2002-03 Longhorns.

No. 5 - Sign of the Apocalypse ...

I really don't have any words for this.

D3j6wPwW0AASbTo.jpg

No. 6 - Texas baseball weekend in a nutshell (especially Sunday) ...

giphy.gif

No. 7 – BUY or SELL …
BUY-SELL.gif

BUY or SELL: It’s now or never to try to do a Beard deal?

(Sell) A case can be made that approaching Beard a year after a possible national title would potentially end better than approaching him days after the championship game. If I was Texas, I'd be vetting what Beard is looking for and responding appropriately.

BUY or SELL: It's ok to cheer for Texas Tech Monday night?

(Buy) I don't think Tech winning or losing ever had any real impact on Texas. Personally, I'm rooting for them.

BUY or SELL: If Colt McCoy would have had the current group of receivers and running backs on his team in 2007 and 2008, the Longhorns might have won 28 straight games?

(Sell) The 2007 Longhorns featured Jamaal Charles, Jordan Shipley, Quan Cosby, Chris Ogbonnaya, Billy Pittman, Jermichael Finley and a healthy Limas Sweed for about five minutes. It wasn't skill talent that the 2007 team lacked. Texas might have been in the mix with better quarterback play, as McCoy's abundance of turnovers had more to do with him still needing time to develop than anything related to the skill players around him.

BUY or SELL: When Texas has a scrimmage, you look for the offense to be the winner since that will translate better in the regular season?

(Sell) You don't ever want your offense to suck, but I personally pay more attention to individuals more than entire sides of the ball. I don't believe great performances by the offense in spring games means much at all (see below for proof).

BUY or SELL: Texas coaches are already focused on beating LSU on September 7 here in Austin?

(Sell) I suppose it depends on your definition of "focused," but I don't think the LSU obsession is real just yet. Give it a couple more months.

BUY or SELL: If Sam Ehlinger has a monster season in 2019, he flirts with the idea of skipping his senior season?

(Buy) Of course. I don't think he'll leave early, but if he has a monster season, he'll likely be a guy NFL teams are talking about.

BUY or SELL: The idea that CDC is under fire to make "the right decision right now" regarding Shaka is borderline laughable?

(Sell) Welcome to the University of Texas, Chris. These folks don't do pussyfooting around.

BUY or SELL: With an experienced (same system 2+ years) upperclassman at QB the offense averages over 35 pts/game

(Buy) Yeah, I'll go there.

No. 8 – Eternal Randomness of the Spotty Sports Mind …

... As much as you hate to see a game end on a foul call, the refs got the end of the Auburn/Virginia correct, at least as it relates to the foul call in the last second. Well, they got it right with the exception of the double-dribble they missed seconds before the final shot.

... Texas Tech left no doubt against Gonzaga and it left no doubt against Michigan State. Nothing accidental about that group.

... More proof that when it comes to the Dallas Cowboys, Jerry Jones is mostly a talking head these days...

... Come on, Holton Hill, come on ...

... Man, the NBA regular season is l-o-n-g. Thank goodness the playoffs are near.

... When keeping it real gets real. Less than 24 hours after Paul Pierce suggested he had been a better player than Dwayne Wade and would have had more titles than Wade if he had played with the same level of players, his co-worker set him straight.

... Just keep grinding, Liverpool. Five more games. Win them all and see where the dust settles.

... Ladies and gentlemen, I give you Luis Suarez...

No. 9 - The List: Top 10 Texas Spring Game Moments of the Orangebloods Era ...

Full transparency - my memories from Texas spring games only go back about 20 years, so I'm keeping this list focused on the top 10 moments from Texas spring games since the launch of Orangebloods.com, which was called The-University.com back in 2001.

Here we go...

10. The Nathan Vasher Show (2001): On a team full of future NFL players, Vasher returned the opening kickoff for 100 yards and a touchdown, while also returning a punt 54 yards for a touchdown a little later in the scrimmage.

9. Lil'Jordan Humphrey One-man Show (2018): The junior caught seven passes for 100 yards, was involved in two touchdowns and generally put together one of the better individual performances in the history of the Texas spring game. It also foreshadowed a tremendous 2018 season that followed.

8. Charlie Strong's Debut (2014): Malcolm Brown rushed for 82 yards on 20 carries and Tyrone Swoopes threw for 229 yards and three touchdowns, which had optimism sky high going into Charlie Strong's first season.

7. Chance Mock Shows Out (2003): Long before Greg Davis ever figured out what to do with Vince Young, there was a real internal debate about who should start at quarterback in 2003 and in the spring game, Chance Mock completed 8 of 9 passes for 200 yards and a pair of touchdowns, while Young was limited to three pass attempts in the entire scrimmage.

6. Shane Buechele Outshines Tyrone Swoopes (2016): With every Texas fan on the planet praying/demanding/crying/screaming for Buechele to take over the starting job, Buechele threw a couple of first half touchdown passes that absolutely indicated that he needed to be the guy Strong leaned on when the season started ... and it wasn't even close.

5. Earl Thomas' Breakout (2009): The future NFL Hall of Famer had been a good player as a redshirt freshman in 2008, but he emerged as an all-time special performer in his final season, as evidenced by his 35-yard touchdown return on an interception of Colt McCoy. All-American vs. All-American ... not something we've seen a lot of over the years in this contest.

4. The National Title Team (2005): Coming off of its Rose Bowl win over Michigan, the entire team just looked like it was ready to kick some serious ass in 2005. Vince Young looked like an in-his-prime Vince Young, while Ramonce Taylor flashed all over the field.

3. The Brian Davis/Tom Herman Showdown (2018): At one point in the post-game press conference, the Statesman's Brian Davis (quite fairly) questioned Tom Herman about the offense's inability to run the football (or even want to) when it was deep inside the red zone. Herman was so confused by the line of questioning that he brought Anwar Richardson into the conversation, presumably to back up his point. Like Switzerland, Richardson stayed out of the fray, but I personally thought about this moment throughout the 2018 season, as the Longhorns went from a team in the early portions of the season that struggled to impose its will in this area of the offense to one late in the season that was absolutely able to impose its will against Georgia.

2. McCoy/Snead Showdown (2006): In the battle to replace Vince Young, redshirt freshman Colt McCoy and true freshman Jevan Snead both played very well, as McCoy completed 7 of 11 passes for 75 yards, while Snead completed 9 of 13 passes for 97 yards and a touchdown. What's most memorable about this day is that the overall consensus was that Snead had at the very least pulled up even with McCoy and it was presumed that he would win the job. Less than three months later, McCoy had completely pulled away from him and never looked back.

1. The Garrett Gilbert Show (2010) - Gilbert was outstanding in his public appearance as the Texas starting quarterback and at one point I turned to Chad Hastings and told him, "That's what the Texas offense can look like when it has a quarterback that can make deep throws down the seam. Afterwards, when asked if Texas could win a national championship with Gilbert in 2010, Mack Brown replied, "I think so because he's been around and played a lot."

No. 10 – And Finally ...

Ladies and gentlemen, I give you the SEC...

Last edited:
8. Charlie Strong's Debut (2014): Malcolm Brown rushed for 82 yards on 20 carries and Tyrone Swoopes threw for 229 yards and three touchdowns, which had optimism sky high going into Charlie Strong's first season.
I remember that it seemed like CS literally told the defense to ease up in the 2nd half...

I remember the first half of that game was so pathetic on offense that when people saw Jerrod Heard at halftime, everyone was telling him they hope he could get here ASAP.

That 229 yards in the 2nd half by Swoopes was literally orchestrated by the coaches, because they looked so abysmal in the first half.

Last edited:
The week or two before the spring game is always very weird for me. Kind of like a ramp-up, in a way. Then you see them play. And then you go through a football drought of such epic proportions that what happens in spring just completely fades and disappears in my mind and I sit in a cave surviving until fall. Sometime in August, I walk into the football sunshine, blinking my eyes against the too-bright light, beard grown down to my stomach, and cry like a man rescued from a wilderness.

Nothing about spring ball is nourishing in this program. Several times I've considered going full Alex Dunlap and hosting a hunger strike with a few burning monks to get more practices and scrimmages opened up to the public and the media. It feels like a taster offered to an addict in order to make sure we buy up tickets in desperation for the coming season. Long gone are the days of sitting in the sunshine in the green grass of the practice field and watching spring practices. Almost feels like it never happened that way.

The week or two before the spring game is always very weird for me. Kind of like a ramp-up, in a way. Then you see them play. And then you go through a football drought of such epic proportions that what happens in spring just completely fades and disappears in my mind and I sit in a cave surviving until fall. Sometime in August, I walk into the football sunshine, blinking my eyes against the too-bright light, beard grown down to my stomach, and cry like a man rescued from a wilderness.

Nothing about spring ball is nourishing in this program. Several times I've considered going full Alex Dunlap and hosting a hunger strike with a few burning monks to get more practices and scrimmages opened up to the public and the media. It feels like a taster offered to an addict in order to make sure we buy up tickets in desperation for the coming season. Long gone are the days of sitting in the sunshine in the green grass of the practice field and watching spring practices. Almost feels like it never happened that way.
Aaaaah, the good ol' days or getting up and watching practice at 8am with about 20 die hards.:D

I’m surprised you don’t mention the “Guest of Darius White” nametag as a top ten Spring game moment. It was certainly a top ten OB Spring game meltdown.

Reactions: bevo1989
I couldn’t agree more Ketch on the “unproven” skill talent. Couldn’t believe Suchomel on the podcast. Our offense is about to eff people up.

With all due respect to Tre, LJ, Calvin & Andrew, if the 2019 offense is not measurably better than the 2018 offense, then we've been seriously over estimating the prowess of: Herman, Hand, McKnight and our offensive recruits.

I think its time to start to focus on the defense from now on. We have no excuses to score >30 every game other than LSU. Our offense is stacked.

For TT to beat MI St is an amazing achievement given the Final Four stage, Izzo and that team. He has a whole lot of tenure on this team. Will see how they do next year but color me beyond impressed with this team.

No ref makes that type of last second call on a desperation shot by VA against Auburn. Auburn won that game. I was hoping they would win to see Barkley go nuts. Too bad.

Reactions: rtex63 and 73Horn

Great description! I am totally feeling the pain to come! Like a double of Don Julio 1942 this Saturday and then prohibition until August!

Hook'em!

Reactions: Good.Shepherd
"We're talkingabout five of the top 10 players in the history of the modernRivals rankings (2002-19) being on the same team."

Ok I'm too lazy to figure it out! Help me please.

Obviously, McCoy is one if them. And then Whittington and Smith? Who else?

Reactions: East Mall
Good stuff Ketch. I appreciate the effort you put into these articles...a ton of work.

ADVERTISEMENT