ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (Herman needs Oscar Giles to be aces in 2019...)

Who asked "Five or more losses this season will result in Herman’s termination?"? That question is SO OFF base. Is this person an aggie poser? Who else would be wondering such a question (and maybe hoping for it)? I am just stunned by it.

I think we should do what Georgetown did with their NIT banner if we win it.

"He made news at the beginning of the 2000-01 season when he hung the Hoyas’ NIT banner above the urinals in the locker room. The motivation worked, as Georgetown went all the way to the Sweet 16. He has also been known to give players who make a mistake on the court a quick hook."

I’ll have to go with the player the coaches are raving about - T Graham.
I probably agree with you.

It has to be noted, though, that Graham was not a plus player a year ago. He struggled to rush the passer and at times the coaches preferred to keep running out Hager, despite the fact he wasn't any better.

He's the most bankable player on the line and he's a major question mark at this point.

Hence, the top section.

You still haven't answered the question.

Yes, I used production as a key point to discussing the questions of this team.

Here is your production analysis:

“The production of 2018 along the defensive line with the three starters featured a combined 115 tackles, 31 tackles for loss and 12 sacks, which came on the heels of that trio recording a combined 69 tackles, 19 tackles for loss and nine sacks as juniors.

With the departure of that senior trio goes a ton of production and never was the impact of their departures more profound than on the opening week of spring practice when their spots in the line-up were filled with the likes of junior Taquan Graham, senior Gerald Wilbon and senior Malcolm Roach - a trio that combined for a mere 3.5 tackles for loss and two sacks in 2018.”

In order to have the meaning you impart to them, these numbers have to be calibrated to relative playing time. You would also need to include the tackles number for the current returners.

I was at the state track meet the year Johnny brought Lampasas from 7th to 1st in the mile relay. It remains one of the most exciting and amazing things I've ever witnessed in person or even on TV in my life. I'm 73 now.

Reactions: NativeTex
I probably agree with you.

It has to be noted, though, that Graham was not a plus player a year ago. He struggled to rush the passer and at times the coaches preferred to keep running out Hager, despite the fact he wasn't any better.

He's the most bankable player on the line and he's a major question mark at this point.

Hence, the top section.

That sounds a lot like an analysis that would have belonged to Omenihu coming out of his sophomore season.

Here is your production analysis:

“The production of 2018 along the defensive line with the three starters featured a combined 115 tackles, 31 tackles for loss and 12 sacks, which came on the heels of that trio recording a combined 69 tackles, 19 tackles for loss and nine sacks as juniors.

With the departure of that senior trio goes a ton of production and never was the impact of their departures more profound than on the opening week of spring practice when their spots in the line-up were filled with the likes of junior Taquan Graham, senior Gerald Wilbon and senior Malcolm Roach - a trio that combined for a mere 3.5 tackles for loss and two sacks in 2018.”

In order to have the meaning you impart to them, these numbers have to be calibrated to relative playing time. You would also need to include the tackles number for the current returners.
So, with equal playing time, you are asserting the production would be just as good?

That sounds a lot like an analysis that would have belonged to Omenihu coming out of his sophomore season.
Except he was a sophomore that started the entire season, instead of a reserve that barely played meaningful snaps because of a lack of production.

So, with equal playing time, you are asserting the production would be just as good?

To compare apples to apples, you’d have to take the 2017 production of Omenihu, Hager and Nelson (69 tackles 19 TFLs and 9 sacks) and adjust the ? tackles, 3.5 TFL and 2 sacks of Graham, Wilbon and Roach upward to correspond to the 2017 playing time for Omenihu, Hager and Nelson versus the 2018 playing time of Graham, Wilbon and Roach.

I’d also like to know the fumbles caused/recovered stats and if bowl games are included because one of the biggest plays of 2018/9 was Graham causing Swift’s fumble in the Sugar Bowl that Wilbon recovered.

To compare apples to apples, you’d have to take the 2017 production of Omenihu, Hager and Nelson (69 tackles 19 TFLs and 9 sacks) and adjust the ? tackles, 3.5 TFL and 2 sacks of Graham, Wilbon and Roach upward to correspond to the 2017 playing time for Omenihu, Hager and Nelson versus the 2018 playing time of Graham, Wilbon and Roach.

I’d also like to know the fumbles caused/recovered stats and if bowl games are included because one of the biggest plays of 2018/9 was Graham causing Swift’s fumble in the Sugar Bowl that Wilbon recovered.
That isn't apples to apples... at all.

My B/S questions never make it. I think they are hard hitting and thought provoking.
Bewbs or Butts
53904452_318666245370328_6833404019843764470_n.jpg

VS

53591772_623516071482630_4286005093167184766_n.jpg

Except he was a sophomore that started the entire season, instead of a reserve that barely played meaningful snaps because of a lack of production.

You’re reaching now.

That isn't apples to apples... at all.

It would be a precise apples to apples comparison. It’s the results of that comparison that we can’t know without someone doing the work.

I believe the Defensive Line is going to be every bit as good as last year. Roach and Graham have plenty of experience, great talent, and being upper classmen, their bodies are very developed to go with that talent/experience. With Junior College Jones onboard along with Ojomo, there is talented depth. I expect the Hager position will be upgraded. Wilbon is experienced as well, and backfiling Nelson is not as big of a leap as it was for Nelson backfilling Poona Ford. Add in Coburn as backup, or even Ojomo here and the talent depth is as good as this past year at this position.

My concern for defense is not the DL, but the two LB spots held last year by Johnson and Wheeler, and the Corners losing two experienced seniors as well. Replacing Gary Johnson is gap priority #1 to figure out.

This.

Hook'em!

It would be a precise apples to apples comparison. It’s the results of that comparison that we can’t know without someone doing the work.
I don't think apples to apples means what you think it means because what you've suggested ain't it.

But he missed a good part of the year with an injury. Is it possible this is why he didn't progress fast enough?
Two things...

a. I have been as big a hype man for Roach as anyone the last few years.

b. He hasn't produced since Charlie left. He just hasn't found a niche under Orlando, injuries or not.

Reactions: Buffalosoldiers
I think there's some confirmation bias in this opinion.

Definitely some projecting as far as graham is concerned. He and roach need to take the reins and roach honestly should have never let his hand leave the dirt. Even roach’s limited DT play in passing situations were undervalued imo

Winds of Winter criminally underrated. Also, need to flip Hardome and The Lion and the Rose.

That piece on Lam Jones was so good I'm not even upset that you've snubbed my B/S question for the upteenth time in a row.

Man, I want to like soccer so badly and highlights from Messi would go far towards that, but La Liga has pulled the video for licensing rights or some bull. Once again, soccer fails.

team has to beat a good SDSU team first....even that is questionable.....remember the GA game?? Hoping one day to see a UT Team w a great offense!...our O is pathetic....

ADVERTISEMENT