ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (Hey, Kirk... this is Tom... I gotta scoop for you...)

Ketchum

Resident Blockhead
Staff
May 29, 2001
51lwKdBjGFL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Before I dive into a little Encyclopedia Brown detective work, I think a round of applause is due for former Notre Dame quarterback Malik Zaire and his inner circle for the fairly masterful job they have done of keeping the majority of their cards concealed from the viewing public.​

Hansel and Gretel would have had a hell of a time trying to find their way home with the amount of bread crumbs that have been dropped over the last six weeks.

Hell, Orangebloods has been lucky to find a crumb or two, here and there, when you consider that few people anywhere have actually been able to get a lifeline to information directly from the Zaire camp.

Still, we've finally reached a point in his decision-making process when a little deductive reasoning can point us in the direction of what is taking place.

Here's a small rundown of what I believe to be true based on our reporting from the last six weeks.

1. The primary four schools in play for Zaire, barring something completely unexpected, are Texas, Florida, Wisconsin and Harvard.
2. Of those four schools, our sources have confirmed that Texas is in the top two, along with another school that our primary source wished not to unveil.
3. Despite perhaps the easiest path to playing time, my sense of things is that Wisconsin lags behind in a few areas on which Zaire seems deeply focused.
4. While our sourcing maintains that Harvard is a serious option, it's hard to take that seriously when Zaire made a football decision to leave Notre Dame and attending Harvard doesn't seem like the best actual football decision he could make.
5. This is just an opinion of mine, but as I recall all of the information that we've obtained over the last few weeks, very, very, very little has been said about Florida. Barely a peep.

I feel like there's another 10-15 little things that point in the direction that we're headed in, but man, this isn't rocket science.

Unless I'm a horrible investigator, it seems pretty clear that Florida is the mystery team that the Zaire camp hasn't confirmed and you can make the case that the reason this Texas website has been able to get reports on Zaire is directly connected to nothing coming out of Gainesville on the subject

With the SEC spring meetings scheduled for early next week and presidents scheduled to revisit the issue of conference rules surrounding graduate transfers, the key to Zaire being able to get into Florida might be keeping that little nugget completely off the radar of every school in the SEC, especially those that reside in the SEC East.

As things currently stand, Florida cannot take any graduate transfers until 2019 because former graduate transfers Mason Halter and Anthony Harrell failed to meet league mandates back in 2015. Unless the league changes the rule next week, Zaire can't transfer to Florida.

Period.

If you're a shark-riding sonofagun like Jim McElwain, the best possible way to sneak in a starting quarterback through the rule change is to do your best to make sure that as few people as possible know about its possibility when the SEC presidents go to vote in seven or eight days.

If the likes of South Carolina, Missouri and ... oh ... I don't know ... let's say Georgia ... found out about what might be hiding in the bushes on the Florida quarterback transfer hunt, it might just have an impact on how those particular institutions vote on the possible rule change, which would help a bitter conference rival more than anyone else.

After contacting three different media members this weekend that reside in SEC-Land, it seems rather safe to say that little of this is on the collective radar. Oh, there have been whispers that Zaire and Florida have a mutual interest, but no one I spoke with knew that the only thing potentially standing in the way of Florida having a new quarterback is a vote in the coming days.

It seems like the only thing keeping Zaire from going with the other school in his top two (Texas) is word getting out to everyone in that part of the conference heading into next weekend. If Tom Herman really wants Zaire on his roster in 2017 competing for the starting job, am I crazy for thinking that a simple phone call to the right national reporter would accomplish the job?

Hell, if I was a Wisconsin coach, I would have already played that card in an effort to clear space inside of that top two. Same if I coached at Harvard.

It'll be fascinating to see if the national media wises up on this story and gives it the full attention that a possible impact quarterback transfer to one of the top two financial titans in the sport deserves.

Anyone got Kirk Herbstreit on speed-dial?

No. 2 – If my name happened to be Shane Buechele ...

These are eight things that I'm doing between now and August ...

a. I'm sending a text message to every player on the team that the first seven-on-seven practice is scheduled for the Tuesday night following Memorial Day.

b. As the organizer of all seven-on-seven workouts this summer, all missed sessions have to go through me. I'll work with upper-class leadership to ensure that there will consequences for all unexcused absences this summer.

c. Issue a rule that no hanger-ons will be allowed at practice. This includes parents, girlfriends and anyone who isn't a player. When you're coming off a Rose Bowl win, you can bring a pizza box onto the practice field. When you lose to Kansas, every available minute of practice is my most important minute of the year.

d. Every single receiver on the team will be at practice, even if means I have to drive around for hours getting them to and from practice. Receivers that aren't early for practice don't run with the first team. Receivers that don't stay late for extra practice don't run with the first-team.

e. Practice isn't over until I say it is and I never miss practice.

f. Call Colt McCoy. Ask him how to channel my inner red-ass.

g. If Sam Ehlinger has a set of keys to the practice facility, I'm taking his keys and throwing them into Town Lake. I'm the only guy with keys to this place.

h. Watch all of the Rocky IV montages every day.

No. 3 – I don't get the Jordan Elliott decision ...

200.gif

Of all five of the interior defensive linemen that Charlie Strong signed in 2016, sophomore Jordan Elliott was poised to make the biggest, quickest, most important contributions of the group heading into 2017.

Of all five of the interior defensive linemen that Charlie Strong signed in 2016, sophomore Jordan Elliott was poised to emerge as the first starter from the group, potentially this season if the team suffered so much as a single injury up-front on the defensive line.

Because of the last two sentences, it stands to reason that of every young defensive lineman in the program, none was on the path to future NFL success as certain as Elliott would have been with another two or three seasons in Austin.

His new coach certainly seemed to view him that way.

So, to hear Elliott announce himself as the FIRST transfer/flame out/bust of the group on Thursday is beyond curious. I'd offer that it's incredibly short-sighted.

Usually, when kids make a decision to transfer, the path for on-field success looks quite different than the situation in which Elliott found himself. Hell, I'm guessing there are future transfers out there that might give a toe to trade places.

If Elliott was flat out miserable without Charlie Strong around to coach him and he just couldn't spend another minute with the new coaches, I guess I can understand the decision to leave, but my goodness, outside of that or serious concerns about future academic success, I just don't get it.

I wish the young man well, but in the 20 years I've been covering this program, I can count on two fingers the number of guys that have turned Elliott's new found circumstances into an NFL life.

Jordan Elliott was right on track ... and then he jumped off of it.

No. 4 – The JUCO Shop ...

It seems pretty clear to me that the Texas staff is going to need to tap into the JUCO scene for some defensive line needs, if at all possible, so I thought I would identify a few guys that could be worth keeping an eye on.

Here's what a search of the Rivals database revealed:

1. Taylor Humphrey (Hutchinson JC)

The only current four-star defensive tackle prospect in the country. A biiiiig boy at 6-6, 360 pounds, Humphrey has offers from the likes of Arkansas, Auburn, Georgia, LSU, Oklahoma and Tennessee. Attended Klein Oak. Has my favorite Twitter handle of any prospect in the 2018 class.

2. Emmit Gooden (Independence CC)

Maybe the best JUCO defensive line prospect in the country, the 6-4, 305-pound strong-side defensive end has offers from all over the country. A former Mississippi State signee, Gooden failed to quality coming out of high school and will be tough to pull from the SEC schools recruiting him.

3. Antar Thompson (Highland CC)

The 6-5, 325-pound Thompson has offers from Alabama, Arkansas, Colorado, Florida State and South Carolina (and others). A former Mizzou signee back in 2013, Thompson's stock this month might be higher than anyone else in the nation on the JUCO market.

4. Jared Goldwire (Fort Scott CC)

Alabama, Arizona State, Houston, Louisville, Oklahoma and TCU are among the schools that have offered the 6-6, 295-pound Goldwire, who is scheduled to visit Miami, but hasn't listed any favorites.

5. Mohamed Diallo (Arizona Western JC)

I don't know anything about him other than he's reportedly 6-4, 315 pounds, committed to Oregon and he has a pulse. Seems like that might be enough to warrant an offer.

No. 5 – Scattershooting on the Longhorns …

... I wouldn't have said this a week ago, but D'Andre Christmas, Gerald Wilbon and Chris Daniels have become pretty important to the future of Texas football. Oscar Giles is going to have to work some magic and turns those guys into something or Texas is going to be very young up front on defense in what should otherwise be potential championship-level years.

... Most interesting quote from Vance Bedford in The Sunday Pulpit today: "Deshon Elliott has been playing behind guys. He never worked hard enough to say I want to be a starter in the classroom."

... I get the sense that Jake McMillon at center is going to remain a real thing. If I was in Vegas this upcoming weekend with Anwar, I think I'd put some money on McMillon starting there in game one.

... If the season started today, the defensive line would feature starters from the states of Florida, Louisiana and South Carolina. None from the state of Texas. I'm guessing Herman has taken notice.

... If I'm Armati Foreman, I'm literally finding a way to spend every second with Shane Buechele this summer, even if I don't like him enough to want to do it. I'm not losing my spot to a younger player.

... Speaking of the Foreman family, I thought this was kind of cool.

No. 6 – Buy or sell …

BUY or SELL: If we land Malik Zaire, Shane still beats him out and keeps his starting job?

(Sell) If Malik Zaire comes to Texas, I believe he'll start the season-opener for the Longhorns. Now excuse me, but I'm going to duck.

BUY or SELL: Texas is playing in an NCAA football playoff game before aggy plays for an SEC championship?

(Buy) Texas A&M will never play for an SEC championship.

BUY or SELL: Gary Johnson is Texas' best linebacker this year?

(Sell) I'll take the field.

BUY or SELL: One of USC, Oklahoma, or Oklahoma State finishes the regular season 7-5 or worse after a high preseason ranking, similar to Notre Dame last year?

(Sell) Wishful thinking. I think all three have a chance to be top 15 good all season.

BUY or SELL: Connor Williams has another solid year but is not projected as a first round draft pick next year and comes back for his senior season.

(Sell) Super wishful thinking.

BUY or SELL: Stan Drayton will be in Austin for more than 2 years?

(Buy) He wants his next job to be a head coaching gig. If that doesn't happen, my guess is that his family will fall in love with Austin and he won't head anywhere else. Assistants rarely want to leave Austin once they get here.

BUY or SELL: Mo Bamba is Shaka Smart's T.J. Ford when it comes to being the catalyst that jump starts the basketball program?

(Buy) I never sold my Shaka stock and I think it's on.

BUY or SELL: Warriors over Cavs?

(Buy) It has a chance to be the best NBA playoff series in half a generation.

No. 7 – Texas Baseball weekend in a gif …

deliverance-hillbilly-dance-o.gif

No. 8 – Kevin Durant's decision to leave Oklahoma City ...

Bottom line ... he's five wins away from changing the narrative of his career, especially if he finds a way to take home NBA Finals MVP honors in the process.

The next three weeks are the three weeks he's waited his entire life for.

No. 9 – Eternal Randomness of the Spotty Sports Mind …

... The Spurs need better players. That's one of the worst eight teams in basketball without Kawhi and Tony. It also makes me completely re-think my NBA MVP rankings.

... The Celtics will have some interesting decisions to make in the next month. I'm not sure that team is anywhere close to a championship.

... With all due respect to Markelle Fultz, if the Celtics can get their hands on Paul George, you have to do whatever it takes to get him.

... If I'm the Sixers, I'm trading No. 3 and two No. 1 picks in 2018 (their own and the Lakers unprotected pick), along with Jahlil Okafor for the No. 1 pick, so that they can draft Fultz. If the Sixers stay at No. 3, maybe they can squeeze a team for some assets, while sliding back in an effort to take Malik Monk.

... Andre Agassi is coaching Novak Djokovic in the French Open? Ok, I'm interested.

.... Oh, Jason Day ...

... Huge win for Liverpool this weekend. Now let's go spend some damn money and take the next step.

... How tough was the competition in the EPL this season? A season ago, only one team racked more than 71 points. This season, five teams had 75 points or more. That Chelsea was able to win the league by seven points is a credit to their incredible consistency. All one can do is tip the cap to them. Nice job, Blues.

... Harry Kane had an incredible season. No Golden Boot winner in Premier League history has ever had a better goal rate per game (0.97).

... Real Madrid is on quite the run right now. The battle against Juventus is going to be a doozy.

No. 10 – And finally …

We've had a lot of partners over the years at Orangebloods, but I don't know that I've ever been as excited about our new relationship with Texas Card House.

We'll have more in the coming days, weeks and months, but here are the basics you need to know.

a. Texas Card House is Austin's Premier Poker Club and offers Texas Hold ‘Em, Omaha, and other poker games. Amenities include big screen TVs, a lounge, free parking, and on-site security, complimentary coffee and bottled water, and coolers are available for BYOB.

b. Texas Card House started in 2014 at 11907 Manchaca Road in South Austin and a second location is opening in June 2017 in North Austin at 13376 Research Blvd in the Galleria Oaks shopping center at Anderson Mill and 183.

c. Request an invitation to the grand opening of the North Austin location by visiting texascardhouse.com/north-austin. One membership gives you access to both locations.

d. Open 7 days a week with cash games daily and a regular tournament schedule, Texas Card House is a great place for a poker night out. Texas Card House can also host your private parties, charity events, and corporate events.

e. You can follow them on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter via @TexasCardHouse. The Texas Card House team features several UT alums, including @jrcrow2000, who has been in the Orangebloods family since 2008.

We'll have Orangebloods specials, events and other info in the future, but for now, feel free to help me welcome a new sponsor.

Thanks Geoff! Really excited about working with you and the OB team. Anyone who has questions about the Texas Card House feel free to DM me.

Hook'em

There is a new place that just opened this week in the Clear Lake area called Mint Poker Club and is similar to the Texas Card House concept. I have played at your original location and found it to be very good. I think with your group setting the trend we will see a lot more of these type of poker clubs open up and I believe it is just a matter of time now before Texas approves full legal raked poker games/rooms..

My bet is that Malik comes here but is not the day one starter. Malik will come because he knows that he'll be no worse than number 2 in an offense that pretty much guarantees the backup will see time, and thus a viable path toward starting.

Reactions: bozans and DrBobRio
It's pretty easy to see that Zaire is all in on UF if they overturn their grad transfer rule, if he wasn't then why wait. Also, in this day and age how could these other programs in the SEC not already know about Zaire waiting in the balance pending their rule change?

I have little faith that the SEC will uphold the rule, not so much in relation to Zaire but in all of their programs interest in being able to get in the best grad transfers they can without anything holding any of them back.

My bet is that Malik comes here but is not the day one starter. Malik will come because he knows that he'll be no worse than number 2 in an offense that pretty much guarantees the backup will see time, and thus a viable path toward starting.
I think Herman would have eyes on him winning the job.

Now I have advertisements in my 10TFTW? Come on man. I think we're due an actual tenth thought.
Kind of a one time deal.

It's an intro to a business by Orangebloods. Can't say it will happen a lot, but I view this as a special situation.

Reactions: InVinceable10
Let's calm just a little
I'm not saying he's coming here because it appears we're the back up plan to Florida. However, look at what Herman did with Gred Ward Jr. at UH. Ward was virtually a slot receiver, and Herman morphed him into a stud a QB. Zaire has got all the talent you could ask for, and I'm of the believe Herman could some very intersecting things with him.

ADVERTISEMENT