ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From The Weekend (I missed the Aggies, bring on Thanksgiving 2024)

Ketchum

Resident Blockhead
Staff
May 29, 2001
ee0e3a40b744e2eebc3b4d949eaa9055x.jpg

I've missed those crazy bastards.

Oh, I know it'll be hard for a lot of you to admit because pride is one of those seven deadlies, but I've long come to grips with the discussion.

I've missed the Aggies.

With the announcement this week that the Longhorns and Sooners will be headed to the SEC in 2024, we can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel as it relates to the Big 12 Conference and that light is taking us directly to Thanksgiving in 2024.

The rivalry that defined Texas football for those of us that went to school on the 40 Acres in the 1990s is back, baby! With it returns the dead dog scoreboards, the fake Army, the Dixie Chicken and a bunch of crazy delusion.

Call me crazy, but Texas football is more fun and interesting with the Aggies around to drive you crazy and vice versa. No offense to Texas Tech or anyone else the Longhorns have scheduled around Thanksgiving weekend, but it always felt like a cheap, fake impersonation of the real thing that used to exist ... and now it's back.

That this game will arrive in 2024 and A&M fans mostly still don't seem to want to have anything to do with the Longhorns makes it even better.

Truth be told, the call to move to the SEC was a great decision for the Aggies in a lot of ways. They were able to get rid of the shadow of big brother and it has to be said that their leaders showed a lot of foresight in moving to the best football conference in America more than a decade before the Longhorns decided to come around.

The issue for Aggies, and they know they can't run from this truth, is that they didn't do anything with the decade-long head start. Outside of a stray year or two, the Aggies were just as they were when they left the Big 12 ... irrelevant. The only football banners they can claim to have hung are the ones other teams have earned.

"SEC! SEC! SEC!"

Am I right, Ags?

Of course, the Longhorns haven't done any banner-raising of their own since the rivalry hit a decade-long pause.

All of this makes the stakes in the upcoming games of this rivalry even more important. In the history of the two programs, the two schools have never won nine or more games in consecutive seasons at the same time. More than a century of football suggests that it's nearly impossible for both programs to be very good at the same time, let alone great.

It makes the stakes in future games pretty enormous. With the college football universe set to expand its playoff field to 12 teams in 2024, it's not hard to imagine that this game will often determine whether one or the other gets in from year to year.

Imagine the bragging rights involved. Imagine the pressure. Imagine the fallout for the losing side.

There just hasn't been enough important games on the Texas schedule in the last decade, but all of that is about to change, especially if OU, A&M and Arkansas are set to be on the schedule in future years on an annual basis.

Amen to more games that truly matter on the schedule.

Finally, let's talk about the Aggie fans. I've missed them. There's no feeling in the world quite like pointing out Aggie delusion to actual Aggies spouting off the delusion. It's one of the true joys of life that exists and it just wasn't quite as enjoyable as it should be when little brother has escaped the clutches of big brother's snarky clutches.

It's all baaaaack.

Sheep jokes. Billy Liucci. Yell practices at the state capital. Aggies yelling "Whoop!" before a moment of silence has concluded. The milk men. The band that takes itself way too seriously. Animal husbandry.

Let the disdain flow through your veins.

Football that matters on Thanksgiving weekend is back and the stakes are higher now in a new conference together than they have ever been.

No matter what any of you might say, I've missed it.

No.2 - I. Was. Wrong.

Even a week ago, I had my doubts that the Longhorns would take a 50 million dollar type of hit to get out of the Big 12 a year earlier than expected.

While trying to configure just how much a premium Texas football game on Fox might be worth, I found myself disbelieving that both Texas and Oklahoma would swallow such a financial cost.

I was wrong and instead of burying my mea culpa, I'm placing it in section two this week. It's yet another reminder that the current leadership at Texas places the importance of athletics on a completely different level that the one that existed before it.

One of these days, maybe I'll stop my doubting.

No. 3 - The Recruiting Tale of the Tape in the SEC ...

While there will be a lot of discussion in the next 18 months about UT's ability to compete in the SEC upon its arrival in 2024, the reality is that what people are asking (even if they don't know it), is whether Texas can compete with Alabama and Georgia.

Those two schools live in a separate galaxy from its other SEC peers when it comes to raw talent.

Take a look at the last two recruiting cycles, including Texas and Oklahoma.

1676167674225.png

* Both Alabama and Georgia have each signed 18 super blue chip recruits in the last two recruiting cycles. The combined 36 super blue chips from 2022 and 2023 are one more than the rest of the SEC combined.

* Texas would rank fourth in the SEC over the last two cycles with 10 super blue chip recruits. Only Alabama, Georgia and Texas A&M have more.

* Only 5 schools in the entire conference, including Texas and Oklahoma, have signed more than 5 super blue chips in the last two cycles.

What does it mean?

It means that the rosters of most SEC schools aren't much different than the rosters of what Texas sees in the Big 12.

The vast difference between the top two schools and everyone else (outside of Texas A&M) is even more apparent when you expand the super blue chip numbers over the last four recruiting cycles.

1676167948768.png

* Outside of Georgia and Texas A&M, the Crimson Tide have signed at least three times as many super blue chip prospects as every school in the SEC.

* Georgia and ... wait for it ... Texas A&M have doubled up the next two highest numbers of super blue chips (LSU and Texas) and have at least three times as many versus the rest of the conference.

* Texas is at least two more recruiting cycles away at its current pace from the last two seasons before they'll be on the same tier as the top three.

* Texas A&M was a massive disappointment in 2022, but the Aggies have accumulated the third most super blue chips in the nation (they lead Ohio State by 1) and have the ability to play with anyone on any given night.

* The bottom 11 teams in the SEC (not including Texas and Oklahoma) have combined (38) to sign the same amount of super blue chips as Alabama.

As long as Texas is getting top-shelf quarterback play, plus-coaching and above-average development of talent, there's not much that the Longhorns need to worry about on paper when it comes to matching roster for roster within the conference.

All of these other teams are just riding the coat tails of Alabama and Georgia.

No. 4 - The Haircut heard round the world ...

This is probably more thoughts than I should have had about something that is truthfully none of my business, but ...

1676235554304.png

I'm weirdly pleased by his decision to get the haircut.

Right or wrong ... fair or unfair ... it always felt like The Mullet was an image/gimmick created for a superstar before the superstar had earned being a superstar. I'm all for personal branding and everyone being able to maximize his or her earning potential, but it helps to be really good at the thing you're personal branding is supposed to be maximizing. Ewers isn't really good yet at playing quarterback. More than almost anything, that needs to be his priority.

For some reason, the line from Crash Davis in Bull Durham always jumped to my mind when I thought about Ewers' hair: "Your shower shoes have fungus on 'em. You'll never make it to the Bigs with fungus on your shower shoes. Think classy, you'll be classy. If you win 20 in the Show, you can let the fungus grow back on your shower shoes and the press will think you're colorful. Until you win 20 in the Show however, it means you're a slob."

Crash Davis was right.

ps - Ewers is actually a handsome kid. His parents have to be happy over this.

pps - I feel like such a hater for commenting on Ewers' haircut. Please, universe, forgive me.

No. 5 - The Incredible Mr. Banks ...

I'm just not sure the college football world knows what it has on its hands in the next two years with Texas offensive lineman Kelvin Banks.

I don't have to tell you guys, but Texas' young left tackle was thrown to the wolves in his first season on the 40 Acres.

In his second week as a starter, his feet were in the fire with possible No. 1 overall pick in the 2024 NFL Draft in Alabama pass rusher Will Anderson. Two weeks later, he took on projected top-10 pick Tyree Wilson of Texas Tech. Then there was a match-up with possible first round pick Will McDonald from Iowa State. And then Big Felix Anudike-Uzomah of Kansas State.

It's hard to imagine that any offensive tackle in the country faced more heat in 2022 than Banks and yet he came out of the fire without any burns. At no point last season did it ever feel like Banks took an L against anyone he faced. On the contrary, if someone made a play against him, it felt like a good reason to stop and write down the significance of the moment, as it didn't often happen. Even with all of the match-ups against future NFL players, Banks still allowed disruption once every 55.6 plays as a true freshman, the third-best number by an offensive lineman in the last decade by any Texas player.

When I saw this Tweet from Pro Football Focus, it made me realize that the rest of the world doesn't quite know about Banks like we do. I have no doubt in my mind that Nick Saban would trade J.C. Latham for Banks without even taking time to think about it. Anyone that watched both players and came away thinking Latham is better doesn't know what they are watching.

Before it's all said and done, that will change.

No. 6 - A Few Scholarship Board Thoughts ...

a. Obviously, three names have to come off this list through attrition before we get to August. If the Longhorns look to add another player or two through the Portal in May, it would mean that four or five names will have to come off.

b. We're running out of names connected to Tom Herman that can be cut from the board. Moving forward, the names that start coming off the scholarship board through attrition are going to be players that Steve Sarkisian recruited.

c. For the record, here's the list of Tom Herman recruits that are still on the roster: QB Charles Wright, RB Jonathan Brooks, WR Jordan Whittington, WR Jaden Alexis, WR Casey Cain, TE Ja'Tavion Sanders, TE Gunner Helm, TE Juan Davis, OT Christian Jones, OL Max Merril, OL Hayden Conner, OL Sawyer Goram-Welch, OL Jake Majors, DE Barryn Sorrell, DT T'Vondre Sweat, DT Byron Murphy, DT Alfred Collins, DT Vernon Broughton, LB Jaylan Ford, LB David Gbenda, LB Morice Blackwell, CB Jahdae Barron, S Jerrin Thompson and S Kitan Crawford

d. It's kind of crazy that after all the roster turnover that Sarkisian has created at least 12 of his 22 starters next season are projected to be players that Tom Herman recruited. I don't know that off the top of my head, I would have guessed it would be that many.

d. Two of the last three players Herman landed in the final month on the job before getting the hook were Sorrell and Murphy.

e. Was told over the weekend that the move of Savion Red to running back might not be a permanent thing. If he doesn't hit the ground running, there's a good chance that he could move back to wide receiver.

1676238281327.png

No. 7 - My favorite Texas hoopster ...

It's gotta be Sir'Jabari Rice.

It's not because he scored 24 points on 6 field goal attempts in 17 minutes during a 34-point thrashing of Bob Huggins' West Virginia squad on Saturday, although that didn't hurt.

It was Rice rubbing Huggins the wrong way to such an extent that he mentioned Rice's talking in the post-game press conference. According to Huggins, he didn't pay any attention to Rice (neither did Huggins' defense), yet it was on his mind in the aftermath of the game. Considering some of the talkers Huggins has had in his career going all the way back to Nick Van Exel, I'd say he had a little of this coming his way.

Inject this into my veins.

Meanwhile, with six games to go before the end of the regular season, the Big 12 title race is starting to separate the men from the boys.

1676169939681.png

Here are the remaining schedules for the top three:

Texas: at Texas Tech, vs. Oklahoma, vs. Iowa State, at Baylor, at TCU and vs. vs. Kansas

Baylor: vs. West Virginia, at Kansas, at Kansas State, vs. Texas, at Oklahoma State and vs. Iowa State

Kansas: at Oklahoma State, vs. Baylor, at TCU, vs. West Virginia, vs. Texas Tech and at Texas

If the Longhorns can win both of their games this week, there's a decent chance they could have a two-game lead with four games to play.

No. 8 – BUY or SELL …

BUY-SELL.gif

B/S Men's and women's B-ball make it to Elite 8

(Buy) Yeah, that feels very, very doable right now. I don't know if it's statistically likely, but I'll jump on the Elite 8 bandwagon right now.

B/S: The expanded twelve team CFP means there will be more All-SEC championship games in the future.

CFP HISTORY: Only the SEC has had two teams receive playoff bids and both times it resulted in an All-SEC championship game.

2018: #4 Alabama over #3 Georgia
2022: #3 Georgia over #1 Alabama

(Buy) Absolutely. I would expect between 3-5 SEC teams make it every year.

B/S - we will be stuck playing former B12 schools in football non-conference play regularly? Example Tech wanting a H&H for the next X# of years

(Sell) I think Texas is going to take a wait and see approach towards scheduling in the future. I don't think any rash decisions will be made until Texas has a chance to feel out what it means to play in the SEC. Every Texas official I've spoken to about playing Texas Tech on an annual basis has thrown water on that idea.

The Big12 is balanced again this year and there will be a 2 loss team in the championship game.

(Buy) There could be two teams with more than one loss in the title game.

B/S: The positive and motivating push that Arch’s presence is already having on Ewers to study more and lead the team. AD Mitchell will have the same influence on Worthy to get the best out of him?

(Sell) Whatever Xavier Worthy's issues were last year, working hard and being motivated in the off-season were not among them. I think all of the negativity around his name is going to push him more this season than the arrival of any player. It's not like Mitchell is going to take his job.

B/S Texas takes 2 of Gibson, Tatum and Peoples as the RB class of 2024.

(Buy) I'm shaky on this one because of the options I believe Tatum and Peoples will have to be the No. 1 running back in other classes and surely they know that they will be seen as the No. 2 behind Gibson, but in Tashard Choice, I trust. I think he'll get Gibson and one of either Tatum/Peoples.

B/S: Rodney Terry makes a case so strong that CDC hires him as the next head coach and ensures he has great recruiters around him.

(Sell) No case he can make will be strong enough for us to ignore that he didn't build this team and that matters significantly.

B/S Alabama is predicted to lose 6 players in the first 2 rounds including their starting Heisman winning QB who will be a top 5 pick. If Texas is 100% healthy, we have a 45% chance to upset Alabama at their home.

(Sell) I've got it at around 25-30% at the moment.

No. 9 - Scattershooting on anything and everything ...

... The Texas women's basketball team isn't running away with the Big 12 title because Oklahoma is proving to be a pesky challenger, but in winning its seventh straight on Saturday afternoon, the Longhorns have separated from everyone else in the league by at least three games. Three of the last 5 regular season games are on the road, though, including this week's game in Ames and next week's title showdown with the Sooners in Norman.

... Since playing Texas last month, Tennessee has lost three of its last four games. Is the Rick Barnes late-season collapse under way?

... South Carolina put Kim Mulkey in her place on Sunday. Well done.

... Scottie Scheffler for the win and Jordan Spieth with a top 10 finish made for a pretty damn good weekend on the PGA scene. Hell, Dylan Frittelli finished 14th. Bring on The Masters!

... I was two seconds away from buying UFC284 on Saturday night, but I just couldn't commit myself to the $80 price tag, considering that I wasn't sure I would still be awake at 11 pm. $60? No problem. $80? I suppose I found my price flinch. Oh, and I was asleep by 11 pm.

... Just when it looked like the Mavericks were going to land Orlando's Terrence Ross in the NBA's buy-out market, the Suns appear to have swooped in and have become his preferred destination. I really liked that move for the Mavs, but I like it even more for the Suns.

... I don't know if it's going to work out in Dallas with Kyrie Irving, but while he's there, it definitely makes them even more fun to watch. The Mavs will be a tough out in the playoffs.

... Come this spring, I'll have been a Sixers fan for 40 years and I can safely say that Joel Embiid is the best Sixers player I have ever watched during that time. The man scored 37 points and grabbed 13 rebounds on Saturday night in a win over the Nets and no one even slowed down to notice. That's how high the standards have become for the former Jayhawks player

... Ben Simmons is nothing more than a bench piece in Brooklyn, as he played 16 minutes on Saturday night, scoring 4 points and dishing out 2 assists. He's freaking 26 years old and it feels like his career is over as we once knew it.

... I hate to say it, but Erik ten Hag has done a very good job at Manchester United.

... Every time Pep Guardiola opens mouth to defend the sports washers, he sounds more and more intellectually deceitful.

... Consider me down for the new Flash movie. I'm in.

No. 10 - The List: Top 10 Linebackers From the State of Texas

With Zach Thomas' inclusion in the 2023 NFL Hall of Fame Class this week, I thought it would be a good time to take a look at the best linebackers that have ever come out of the Lone Star State.

Let's get right to it ...

Received strong consideration: Bud McFadin, Dat Nguyen, Aaron Wallace, Quentin Coryatt, Britt Hager, George Cumby, John Roper, Johnny Holland, Thomas Howard and Keith Mitchell

10. James Francis (La Marque)

One of the most dominant Baylor player in its program's history, the former All-American is one of the best linebackers in the history of the Bengals franchise, having recorded 508 tackles (3rd most in franchise history), 33.5 sacks, 11 interceptions and 3 touchdowns in his career during the 90s. Francis was absolutely incredible at Baylor in the late 80s. He set an NCAA record with 8 blocked kicks as a senior in 1989.

9. Simon Fletcher (Bay City)

Regarded as one of the best linebackers in the history of the Denver Broncos franchise, Fletcher recorded 828 tackles and 97.5 sacks in his NFL career.

8. E.J. Holub (Lubbock High)

One of the great linebackers in the history of the AFL in the 1960s, the former Texas Tech All-American, was a five-time AFL All-Star with the Dallas Texans/Kansas City Chiefs.

7. Derrick Johnson (Waco)

A two-time All-Pro and a four-time Pro Bowler, who finished his career as the all-time leading tackler for the Kansas City Chiefs. Johnson was also a two-time All-American, who won the Butkus Award and Nagurski Trophy in 2004.

6. Bill Forester (Woodrow Wilson)

A five-time All-Pro, including a 3-time first-team honors, with Vince Lombardi's Green Bay Packers from 1959-1963,

5. Jessie Armstead (Dallas Carter)

Earned first-team All-Pro honors in 1997 and was twice selected as a second-team All-Pro member of the Giants. Also won two national championships at Miami after ranking as one of the most high-profile recruits in the history of the state while at Dallas Cater.

4. Tommy Nobis (San Antonio Jefferson)

A 2-time All-Pro and 5-time Pro Bowl player with the Falcons, who was named as a member of the NFL's 1960s All-Decade team. Won the Outland Trophy and Maxwell Award during his All-American career at Texas.

3. Zach Thomas (White Deer)

A seven-time All-Pro, including a 5 first-team nods, Thomas was a member of the NFL's 2000s all-decade team. Finished his career with 1,720 tackles. Was also a two-time All-American at Texas Tech in 1994 and 1995.

2. Von Miller (DeSoto)

A seven-time All-Pro and a member of the NFL's 2010s All-Decade team, Miller has recorded 123.5 sacks in his career and is the greatest pass rusher from the linebacker position in the history of the state of Texas. A two-time All-American at Texas A&M in 2009 and 2010.

1. Mike Singletary (Houston Worthing)

Regarded as one of the best layers at the position in the history of the sport. A 7-time first-team All-Pro and a two-time Defensive Player of the Year, Singletary finished his career with 1,488 tackles.

I've missed those crazy bastards.

Oh, I know it'll be hard for a lot of you to admit because pride is one of those seven deadlies, but I've long come to grips with the discussion.

I've missed the Aggies.

With the announcement this week that the Longhorns and Sooners will be headed to the SEC in 2024, we can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel as it relates to the Big 12 Conference and that light is taking us directly to Thanksgiving in 2024.

The rivalry that defined Texas football for those of us that went to school on the 40 Acres in the 1990s is back, baby! With it returns the dead dog scoreboards, the fake Army, the Dixie Chicken and a bunch of crazy delusion.

Call me crazy, but Texas football is more fun and interesting with the Aggies around to drive you crazy and vice versa. No offense to Texas Tech or anyone else the Longhorns have scheduled around Thanksgiving weekend, but it always felt like a cheap, fake impersonation of the real thing that used to exist ... and now it's back.

That this game will arrive in 2024 and A&M fans mostly still don't seem to want to have anything to do with the Longhorns makes it even better.

Truth be told, the call to move to the SEC was a great decision for the Aggies in a lot of ways. They were able to get rid of the shadow of big brother and it has to be said that their leaders showed a lot of foresight in moving to the best football conference in America more than a decade before the Longhorns decided to come around.

The issue for Aggies, and they know they can't run from this truth, is that they didn't do anything with the decade-long head start. Outside of a stray year or two, the Aggies were just as they were when they left the Big 12 ... irrelevant. The only football banners they can claim to have hung are the ones other teams have earned.

"SEC! SEC! SEC!"

Am I right, Ags?

Of course, the Longhorns haven't done any banner-raising of their own since the rivalry hit a decade-long pause.

All of this makes the stakes in the upcoming games of this rivalry even more important. In the history of the two programs, the two schools have never won nine or more games in consecutive seasons at the same time. More than a century of football suggests that it's nearly impossible for both programs to be very good at the same time, let alone great.

It makes the stakes in future games pretty enormous. With the college football universe set to expand its playoff field to 12 teams in 2024, it's not hard to imagine that this game will often determine whether one or the other gets in from year to year.

Imagine the bragging rights involved. Imagine the pressure. Imagine the fallout for the losing side.

There just hasn't been enough important games on the Texas schedule in the last decade, but all of that is about to change, especially if OU, A&M and Arkansas are set to be on the schedule in future years on an annual basis.

Amen to more games that truly matter on the schedule.

Finally, let's talk about the Aggie fans. I've missed them. There's no feeling in the world quite like pointing out Aggie delusion to actual Aggies spouting off the delusion. It's one of the true joys of life that exists and it just wasn't quite as enjoyable as it should be when little brother has escaped the clutches of big brother's snarky clutches.

It's all baaaaack.

Sheep jokes. Billy Liucci. Yell practices at the state capital. Aggies yelling "Whoop!" before a moment of silence has concluded. The milk men. The band that takes itself way too seriously. Animal husbandry.

Let the disdain flow through your veins.

Football that matters on Thanksgiving weekend is back and the stakes are higher now in a new conference together than they have ever been.

No matter what any of you might say, I've missed it.

No.2 - I. Was. Wrong.

Even a week ago, I had my doubts that the Longhorns would take a 50 million dollar type of hit to get out of the Big 12 a year earlier than expected.

While trying to configure just how much a premium Texas football game on Fox might be worth, I found myself disbelieving that both Texas and Oklahoma would swallow such a financial cost.

I was wrong and instead of burying my mea culpa, I'm placing it in section two this week. It's yet another reminder that the current leadership at Texas places the importance of athletics on a completely different level that the one that existed before it.

One of these days, maybe I'll stop my doubting.

No. 3 - The Recruiting Tale of the Tape in the SEC ...

While there will be a lot of discussion in the next 18 months about UT's ability to compete in the SEC upon its arrival in 2024, the reality is that what people are asking (even if they don't know it), is whether Texas can compete with Alabama and Georgia.

Those two schools live in a separate galaxy from its other SEC peers when it comes to raw talent.

Take a look at the last two recruiting cycles, including Texas and Oklahoma.

View attachment 3845

* Both Alabama and Georgia have each signed 18 super blue chip recruits in the last two recruiting cycles. The combined 36 super blue chips from 2022 and 2023 are one more than the rest of the SEC combined.

* Texas would rank fourth in the SEC over the last two cycles with 10 super blue chip recruits. Only Alabama, Georgia and Texas A&M have more.

* Only 5 schools in the entire conference, including Texas and Oklahoma, have signed more than 5 super blue chips in the last two cycles.

What does it mean?

It means that the rosters of most SEC schools aren't much different than the rosters of what Texas sees in the Big 12.

The vast difference between the top two schools and everyone else (outside of Texas A&M) is even more apparent when you expand the super blue chip numbers over the last four recruiting cycles.

View attachment 3846

* Outside of Georgia and Texas A&M, the Crimson Tide have signed at least three times as many super blue chip prospects as every school in the SEC.

* Georgia and ... wait for it ... Texas A&M have doubled up the next two highest numbers of super blue chips (LSU and Texas) and have at least three times as many versus the rest of the conference.

* Texas is at least two more recruiting cycles away at its current pace from the last two seasons before they'll be on the same tier as the top three.

* Texas A&M was a massive disappointment in 2022, but the Aggies have accumulated the third most super blue chips in the nation (they lead Ohio State by 1) and have the ability to play with anyone on any given night.

* The bottom 11 teams in the SEC (not including Texas and Oklahoma) have combined (38) to sign the same amount of super blue chips as Alabama.

As long as Texas is getting top-shelf quarterback play, plus-coaching and above-average development of talent, there's not much that the Longhorns need to worry about on paper when it comes to matching roster for roster within the conference.

All of these other teams are just riding the coat tails of Alabama and Georgia.

No. 4 - The Haircut heard round the world ...

This is probably more thoughts than I should have had about something that is truthfully none of my business, but ...

View attachment 3848

I'm weirdly pleased by his decision to get the haircut.

Right or wrong ... fair or unfair ... it always felt like The Mullet was an image/gimmick created for a superstar before the superstar had earned being a superstar. I'm all for personal branding and everyone being able to maximize his or her earning potential, but it helps to be really good at the thing you're personal branding is supposed to be maximizing. Ewers isn't really good yet at playing quarterback. More than almost anything, that needs to be his priority.

For some reason, the line from Crash Davis in Bull Durham always jumped to my mind when I thought about Ewers' hair: "Your shower shoes have fungus on 'em. You'll never make it to the Bigs with fungus on your shower shoes. Think classy, you'll be classy. If you win 20 in the Show, you can let the fungus grow back on your shower shoes and the press will think you're colorful. Until you win 20 in the Show however, it means you're a slob."

Crash Davis was right.

ps - Ewers is actually a handsome kid. His parents have to be happy over this.

pps - I feel like such a hater for commenting on Ewers' haircut. Please, universe, forgive me.

No. 5 - The Incredible Mr. Banks ...

I'm just not sure the college football world knows what it has on its hands in the next two years with Texas offensive lineman Kelvin Banks.

I don't have to tell you guys, but Texas' young left tackle was thrown to the wolves in his first season on the 40 Acres.

In his second week as a starter, his feet were in the fire with possible No. 1 overall pick in the 2024 NFL Draft in Alabama pass rusher Will Anderson. Two weeks later, he took on projected top-10 pick Tyree Wilson of Texas Tech. Then there was a match-up with possible first round pick Will McDonald from Iowa State. And then Big Felix Anudike-Uzomah of Kansas State.

It's hard to imagine that any offensive tackle in the country faced more heat in 2022 than Banks and yet he came out of the fire without any burns. At no point last season did it ever feel like Banks took an L against anyone he faced. On the contrary, if someone made a play against him, it felt like a good reason to stop and write down the significance of the moment, as it didn't often happen. Even with all of the match-ups against future NFL players, Banks still allowed disruption once every 55.6 plays as a true freshman, the third-best number by an offensive lineman in the last decade by any Texas player.

When I saw this Tweet from Pro Football Focus, it made me realize that the rest of the world doesn't quite know about Banks like we do. I have no doubt in my mind that Nick Saban would trade J.C. Latham for Banks without even taking time to think about it. Anyone that watched both players and came away thinking Latham is better doesn't know what they are watching.

Before it's all said and done, that will change.

No. 6 - A Few Scholarship Board Thoughts ...

a. Obviously, three names have to come off this list through attrition before we get to August. If the Longhorns look to add another player or two through the Portal in May, it would mean that four or five names will have to come off.

b. We're running out of names connected to Tom Herman that can be cut from the board. Moving forward, the names that start coming off the scholarship board through attrition are going to be players that Steve Sarkisian recruited.

c. For the record, here's the list of Tom Herman recruits that are still on the roster: QB Charles Wright, RB Jonathan Brooks, WR Jordan Whittington, WR Jaden Alexis, WR Casey Cain, TE Ja'Tavion Sanders, TE Gunner Helm, TE Juan Davis, OT Christian Jones, OL Max Merril, OL Hayden Conner, OL Sawyer Goram-Welch, OL Jake Majors, DE Barryn Sorrell, DT T'Vondre Sweat, DT Byron Murphy, DT Alfred Collins, DT Vernon Broughton, LB Jaylan Ford, LB David Gbenda, LB Morice Blackwell, CB Jahdae Barron, S Jerrin Thompson and S Kitan Crawford

d. It's kind of crazy that after all the roster turnover that Sarkisian has created at least 12 of his 22 starters next season are projected to be players that Tom Herman recruited. I don't know that off the top of my head, I would have guessed it would be that many.

d. Two of the last three players Herman landed in the final month on the job before getting the hook were Sorrell and Murphy.

e. Was told over the weekend that the move of Savion Red to running back might not be a permanent thing. If he doesn't hit the ground running, there's a good chance that he could move back to wide receiver.

View attachment 3850

No. 7 - My favorite Texas hoopster ...

It's gotta be Sir'Jabari Rice.

It's not because he scored 24 points on 6 field goal attempts in 17 minutes during a 34-point thrashing of Bob Huggins' West Virginia squad on Saturday, although that didn't hurt.

It was Rice rubbing Huggins the wrong way to such an extent that he mentioned Rice's talking in the post-game press conference. According to Huggins, he didn't pay any attention to Rice (neither did Huggins' defense), yet it was on his mind in the aftermath of the game. Considering some of the talkers Huggins has had in his career going all the way back to Nick Van Exel, I'd say he had a little of this coming his way.

Inject this into my veins.

Meanwhile, with six games to go before the end of the regular season, the Big 12 title race is starting to separate the men from the boys.

View attachment 3847

Here are the remaining schedules for the top three:

Texas: at Texas Tech, vs. Oklahoma, vs. Iowa State, at Baylor, at TCU and vs. vs. Kansas

Baylor: vs. West Virginia, at Kansas, at Kansas State, vs. Texas, at Oklahoma State and vs. Iowa State

Kansas: at Oklahoma State, vs. Baylor, at TCU, vs. West Virginia, vs. Texas Tech and at Texas

If the Longhorns can win both of their games this week, there's a decent chance they could have a two-game lead with four games to play.

No. 8 – BUY or SELL …

BUY-SELL.gif

(Buy) Yeah, that feels very, very doable right now. I don't know if it's statistically likely, but I'll jump on the Elite 8 bandwagon right now.

(Buy) Absolutely. I would expect between 3-5 SEC teams make it every year.

(Sell) I think Texas is going to take a wait and see approach towards scheduling in the future. I don't think any rash decisions will be made until Texas has a chance to feel out what it means to play in the SEC. Every Texas official I've spoken to about playing Texas Tech on an annual basis has thrown water on that idea.

(Buy) There could be two teams with more than one loss in the title game.

(Sell) Whatever Xavier Worthy's issues were last year, working hard and being motivated in the off-season were not among them. I think all of the negativity around his name is going to push him more this season than the arrival of any player. It's not like Mitchell is going to take his job.

(Buy) I'm shaky on this one because of the options I believe Tatum and Peoples will have to be the No. 1 running back in other classes and surely they know that they will be seen as the No. 2 behind Gibson, but in Tashard Choice, I trust. I think he'll get Gibson and one of either Tatum/Peoples.

(Sell) No case he can make will be strong enough for us to ignore that he didn't build this team and that matters significantly.

(Sell) I've got it at around 25-30% at the moment.

No. 9 - Scattershooting on anything and everything ...

... The Texas women's basketball team isn't running away with the Big 12 title because Oklahoma is proving to be a pesky challenger, but in winning its seventh straight on Saturday afternoon, the Longhorns have separated from everyone else in the league by at least three games. Three of the last 5 regular season games are on the road, though, including this week's game in Ames and next week's title showdown with the Sooners in Norman.

... Since playing Texas last month, Tennessee has lost three of its last four games. Is the Rick Barnes late-season collapse under way?

... South Carolina put Kim Mulkey in her place on Sunday. Well done.

... Scottie Scheffler for the win and Jordan Spieth with a top 10 finish made for a pretty damn good weekend on the PGA scene. Hell, Dylan Frittelli finished 14th. Bring on The Masters!

... I was two seconds away from buying UFC284 on Saturday night, but I just couldn't commit myself to the $80 price tag, considering that I wasn't sure I would still be awake at 11 pm. $60? No problem. $80? I suppose I found my price flinch. Oh, and I was asleep by 11 pm.

... Just when it looked like the Mavericks were going to land Orlando's Terrence Ross in the NBA's buy-out market, the Suns appear to have swooped in and have become his preferred destination. I really liked that move for the Mavs, but I like it even more for the Suns.

... I don't know if it's going to work out in Dallas with Kyrie Irving, but while he's there, it definitely makes them even more fun to watch. The Mavs will be a tough out in the playoffs.

... Come this spring, I'll have been a Sixers fan for 40 years and I can safely say that Joel Embiid is the best Sixers player I have ever watched during that time. The man scored 37 points and grabbed 13 rebounds on Saturday night in a win over the Nets and no one even slowed down to notice. That's how high the standards have become for the former Jayhawks player

... Ben Simmons is nothing more than a bench piece in Brooklyn, as he played 16 minutes on Saturday night, scoring 4 points and dishing out 2 assists. He's freaking 26 years old and it feels like his career is over as we once knew it.

... I hate to say it, but Erik ten Hag has done a very good job at Manchester United.

... Every time Pep Guardiola opens mouth to defend the sports washers, he sounds more and more intellectually deceitful.

... Consider me down for the new Flash movie. I'm in.

No. 10 - The List: Top 10 Linebackers From the State of Texas

With Zach Thomas' inclusion in the 2023 NFL Hall of Fame Class this week, I thought it would be a good time to take a look at the best linebackers that have ever come out of the Lone Star State.

Let's get right to it ...

Received strong consideration: Bud McFadin, Dat Nguyen, Aaron Wallace, Quentin Coryatt, Britt Hager, George Cumby, John Roper, Johnny Holland, Thomas Howard and Keith Mitchell

10. James Francis (La Marque)

One of the most dominant Baylor player in its program's history, the former All-American is one of the best linebackers in the history of the Bengals franchise, having recorded 508 tackles (3rd most in franchise history), 33.5 sacks, 11 interceptions and 3 touchdowns in his career during the 90s. Francis was absolutely incredible at Baylor in the late 80s. He set an NCAA record with 8 blocked kicks as a senior in 1989.

9. Simon Fletcher (Bay City)

Regarded as one of the best linebackers in the history of the Denver Broncos franchise, Fletcher recorded 828 tackles and 97.5 sacks in his NFL career.

8. E.J. Holub (Lubbock High)

One of the great linebackers in the history of the AFL in the 1960s, the former Texas Tech All-American, was a five-time AFL All-Star with the Dallas Texans/Kansas City Chiefs.

7. Derrick Johnson (Waco)

A two-time All-Pro and a four-time Pro Bowler, who finished his career as the all-time leading tackler for the Kansas City Chiefs. Johnson was also a two-time All-American, who won the Butkus Award and Nagurski Trophy in 2004.

6. Bill Forester (Woodrow Wilson)

A five-time All-Pro, including a 3-time first-team honors, with Vince Lombardi's Green Bay Packers from 1959-1963,

5. Jessie Armstead (Dallas Carter)

Earned first-team All-Pro honors in 1997 and was twice selected as a second-team All-Pro member of the Giants. Also won two national championships at Miami after ranking as one of the most high-profile recruits in the history of the state while at Dallas Cater.

4. Tommy Nobis (San Antonio Jefferson)

A 2-time All-Pro and 5-time Pro Bowl player with the Falcons, who was named as a member of the NFL's 1960s All-Decade team. Won the Outland Trophy and Maxwell Award during his All-American career at Texas.

3. Zach Thomas (White Deer)

A seven-time All-Pro, including a 5 first-team nods, Thomas was a member of the NFL's 2000s all-decade team. Finished his career with 1,720 tackles. Was also a two-time All-American at Texas Tech in 1994 and 1995.

2. Von Miller (DeSoto)

A seven-time All-Pro and a member of the NFL's 2010s All-Decade team, Miller has recorded 123.5 sacks in his career and is the greatest pass rusher from the linebacker position in the history of the state of Texas. A two-time All-American at Texas A&M in 2009 and 2010.

1. Mike Singletary (Houston Worthing)

Regarded as one of the best layers at the position in the history of the sport. A 7-time first-team All-Pro and a two-time Defensive Player of the Year, Singletary finished his career with 1,488 tackles.
Perfect Bull Durham - Crash Davis reference. Well done.

It won’t be hard to move 3 players off the Texas roster at the end of the Spring. In fact, I think we will see attrition from at least five players currently on the bottom of the roster.

Reactions: marinehorn
It’s funny how overlooked Singletary often is when people discuss the best Houston ISD- produced players.

You’ll hear dexter manley and Vince young because their Yates and Madison teams both went deep into the playoffs.

Hell, yoill hear more people mention Addai and Strahan, even though those Sharpstown and Westbury teams were terrible.

Interesting that Lamar, while generally considered the best football program in HISD historically, hasn’t produced much NFL talent. Orakpo is probably tops among Lamar alumni in the NFL.

Yes… I was preparing to get triggered until I got to number 1 on the list.

Could not disagree more re: Texas playing the ags. They are insufferable and annoying on a level that makes just being around then, seeing them and hearing them miserable.

I F'ing HATE aggy. I hate maroon, saw em off, gig em and their holier than, we are better fans attitude.

I would be good if Texas never played them again.

I'm all for personal branding and everyone being able to maximize his or her earning potential, but it helps to be really good at the thing you're personal branding is supposed to be maximizing. Ewers isn't really good yet at playing quarterback. More than almost anything, that needs to be his priority.
I completely agree, if that was his intent with the mullet. This kid needs to focus on elevating his game. 100%.

For the most part, I can't disagree with your SEC analysis except to say I think you're mistaken about Aggles not wanting to play Texas. There seems to be a lot of enthusiasm on Aggie Yell for making the Horns a regular rival. However, most seem to want to keep LSU as the last game of the season.

You're right about A&M wasting the last decade, and we have a very slim advantage over Texas at the moment. But like most Aggies, I'm drinking the koolade and hoping this is the year we get things on track. And you're also right about Kelvin Banks. We could have used him.

In any event, an interesting write up. Looking forward to renewing the rivalry.

huge opportunity for the team

ADVERTISEMENT