ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From The Weekend (I want to take it all back!)

It sure was nice to be on the winning end of a game like that with the Cowboys. All too often the Cowboys and their fan base have always been on the receiving end of the kick to the nuts.
We've lost in so many bat-shit crazy ways over the year that the end of the game felt somewhat normal. It was the reverse Leon Lett game.

Reactions: hornfanaustin
Haven't read any replys but just have to shout THIS OL SITUATION IS BULLSHIT!!!!

and I kinda like Herb Hand. Met him, super nice guy. Very likeable. My Auburn friends said he sucked at development but they would truly say that about anyone that left their program for a lateral move.
It has mostly gone un-talked about through 2 pages.

I don’t like all this 9-1 talk. If this bunch loses the 1-0 mentality, they‘re capable of crapping the bed at the worst possible time. They’ve been so inconsistent for so long, eating that cheese would be the worst thing they could do. They need to play with a chip in every game. Hopefully the new coaches and the Sr. QB will keep that sharp edge and not let entitlement and complacency set in. This program doesn’t have the star power and depth to overcome it, even against our weak ass conference.
Luckily, we're not the players. ;)

Or maybe the 7 coaches got fired because they failed at their jobs and did not develop the talent that was recruited. Texas was out coached in quite a few of the losses over the last few years.
The things aren't mutually exclusive from each other.

Reactions: FrancoBevo
Yes, teams around the Big 12 will play better and Texas will always catch its opponent's best shot, but my eyeballs right now are telling me that if Texas plays to the standards it can reach instead of playing down to the other team's mediocre standards, it should win nine out of 10 games this season. Period.

Seems like we say that pretty much every year. Unfortunately, there's that word "if." And unfortunately, against even UTEP, this team showed a couple of possible fatal flaws. Inability to establish a legit running game, and inability to get to the passer. We'll see. Yes, it appears the Big 12 sux, but there's no lack of land mines.

Seems like we say that pretty much every year. Unfortunately, there's that word "if." And unfortunately, against even UTEP, this team showed a couple of possible fatal flaws. Inability to establish a legit running game, and inability to get to the passer. We'll see. Yes, it appears the Big 12 sux, but there's no lack of land mines.
I think there are fewer this year. Much fewer.

One added element to the discussion of the likes of B.J. Foster, Josh Moore and a host of others receiving second chances without harsh strings attached to them from Tom Herman is that the Longhorns potentially come out of the situation with a host of players feeling like they owe their head coach a solid.

I don't like comparing Foster's and Moore's respective situations. One was a misdemeanor gun charge. The other was a player quitting on the team. FWIW, Moore's no "harsh strings" did include having to sit out a season. Sure, it was technically a redshirt, but clearly he's not a guy that would have to sit had the issue not come up. Foster, however, can go home in the middle of a game and still travel the next game. That seems odd. Sh*t, Cook put himself in the portal in the OFFSEASON only to return with Mense talking about how he will start at the bottom of the depth chart. Seems oddly contradictory

I don't like comparing Foster's and Moore's respective situations. One was a misdemeanor gun charge. The other was a player quitting on the team. FWIW, Moore's no "harsh strings" did include having to sit out a season. Sure, it was technically a redshirt, but clearly he's not a guy that would have to sit had the issue not come up. Foster, however, can go home in the middle of a game and still travel the next game. That seems odd. Sh*t, Cook put himself in the portal in the OFFSEASON only to return with Mense talking about how he will start at the bottom of the depth chart. Seems oddly contradictory
I should have worded that better. Success and correct call-out. ;)

sure... if Texas is proven and by proven, I mean proven to be really good. This team played so poorly it got 7 coaches fired last season.

I don't necessarily disagree but don't you think regardless of past failures it's a reasonable expectation to expect Texas to be more on par with ou than lets say Mississippi State?

... DeShon Elliott is a better NFL player than he was a college player. I gotta be honest ... I wasn't sure he'd make it. Good for him.

This board has a bit of an odd lack of respect for what type of player Elliott was in '17. Sh*t, if you weren't sure Elliott wouldn't make then hate to think what your thoughts on Sterns making the NFL given he's shown yet to even come close to playing like Elliott did in '17. But unfortunately for Elliott, being tagged a "Charlie guy" is a tough one to shake.

Reactions: ARD438
I don't necessarily disagree but don't you think regardless of past failures it's a reasonable expectation to expect Texas to be more on par with ou than lets say Mississippi State?
I think we're now talking about two different things.

Reactions: MB-HORNS
This board has a bit of an odd lack of respect for what type of player Elliott was in '17. Sh*t, if you weren't sure Elliott wouldn't make then hate to think what your thoughts on Sterns making the NFL given he's shown yet to even come close to playing like Elliott did in '17. But unfortunately for Elliott, being tagged a "Charlie guy" is a tough one to shake.
I have a boatload of respect for DeShon's junior season. I just thought he was raw in coverage and would get exposed in that area at the next level.

I think my comment about how he's playing right now merely speaks to the jump he's made, which is developing into a sideline to sideline playmaker on one of the best defenses in football and good enough to put a guy like Earl Thomas on the street.

... Congrats to Bryson DeChambeau, but I really just didn't find myself caring much about the US Open this weekend. I blame most of it on being able to watch the golf on Thursday or Friday without Peacock.

You always find an excuse not to be interested in golf. Peacock had the last 2 hours of coverage on thursday. Meanwhile, there was 21 hours of GC/NBC coverage combined both days.

You always find an excuse not to be interested in golf. Peacock had the last 2 hours of coverage on thursday. Meanwhile, there was 21 hours of GC/NBC coverage combined both days.
I looked, but I couldn't find it.

I am interested in golf. It was just hard to be interested this weekend. I wish it had been played on the west coast because it seemed like they started so damn early on Thursday and Friday.

Not having Phil or Tiger make the cut and almost do drama all weekend had an impact.

Honestly, it's a no-brainer for me.

10. MIke Adams
9. Wane McGarity
8. Cotton Speyrer
7. Kwame Cavil
6. Limas Sweed
5. Devin Duvernay
4. Johnny Lam Jones
3. Quan Cosby
2. Roy Williams
1. Jordan Shipley

Mike Adams is 3rd career total yardage. 7th career total receptions. 6th career TDs. Averaged 17 yds/catch which is a full yard more than Roy.

Meanwhile, McGarity is 13th career yds. 21st career total receptions. 12th career TDs.
Kwame is 10th career yds. 9th career total receptions. 21st career TDs.

indeed, one must have no brain to put those 2 guys ahead of Mike Adams. ;)

I looked, but I couldn't find it.

I am interested in golf. It was just hard to be interested this weekend. I wish it had been played on the west coast because it seemed like they started so damn early on Thursday and Friday.

Not having Phil or Tiger make the cut and almost do drama all weekend had an impact.

Honestly, I literally have no clue how one could not find TV coverage of the US open outside of the streaming only the last 2 hours on Thursday.

Reactions: North Texas Golfer
@RLong68 brings up an interesting point. I'd rank my interest in sports like this.

1. college/pro football
2. premier league soccer
3. NBA
4. MLB
5. Golf
6. college basketball
7. UFC
8. MLS
9. tennis
10. boxing

Reactions: RLong68
Mike Adams is 3rd career total yardage. 7th career total receptions. 6th career TDs. Averaged 17 yds/catch which is a full yard more than Roy.

Meanwhile, McGarity is 13th career yds. 21st career total receptions. 12th career TDs.
Kwame is 10th career yds. 9th career total receptions. 21st career TDs.

indeed, one must have no brain to put those 2 guys ahead of Mike Adams. ;)

At the height of their powers as college receivers, rank the three.

I would contend that at no point in Mike's career was he ever as dominant and impactful as McGarity and Kwame were...

Adams definitely had a better career than McGarity, but I felt like McGarity's best season was better than Adams' best season.

That being said, I've undervalued Adams' career upon a little retrospect. Case can definitely be made I have him too low.

sure... if Texas is proven and by proven, I mean proven to be really good. This team played so poorly it got 7 coaches fired last season.

I would argue that the coaches coached so poorly they got themselves fired.

I prefer to think that they coached so poorly that a really good team ended up 7-5 and showed their meddle in the Alamo Bowl

This board loved Elliot in '17. It was after he failed to even show up to the bowl game then later went scorched earth on the program that you started seeing people diminishing what he had done and calling it a fluke season.

This board loved Elliot in '17. It was after he failed to even show up to the bowl game then later went scorched earth on the program that you started seeing people diminishing what he had done and calling it a fluke season.

That's my point. Because of rustled jimmies, people can't appreciate how he played in '17. FWIW, does it really matter that he didn't show up for the bowl game?

That's my point. Because of rustled jimmies, people can't appreciate how he played in '17. FWIW, does it really matter that he didn't show up for the bowl game?
I mean, I get why that would irk people. I am not a fan of sitting out bowl games in the first place. In the end, it's all just message board fodder anyway.

@Ketchum Very interesting read! The list of top 10 receivers brought back many memories for this long time Horn fan starting in the 50s. Do more of this!
Watching Jordan and Quan together is one of my top Horn memories. They were absolutely unstoppable!

Adams definitely had a better career than McGarity, but I felt like McGarity's best season was better than Adams' best season.

That being said, I've undervalued Adams' career upon a little retrospect. Case can definitely be made I have him too low.

For sure you undervalued his career a little. In '93, '95 & '96, Adams finished 2nd, 1st & 3rd respectively in the conference in catches. He finished 1st, 1st & 2nd in yardage.
At best, you are splitting hairs that McGarity's one "best season" was better than Adams. I mean, literally Adams had THREE seasons no less than extremely comparable to McGarity's one.

ADVERTISEMENT