ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From The Weekend: Is Casey better than Spencer Rattler?

I only knew that Ron Livingston was in the show about two weeks before I started watching it this month, which was weirdly one of the things that made me realize I needed to watch the show. It felt a little like having never seen Casablanca and then when watching it for the first time not realizing, "Wait a minute, Humphrey Bogart is in this?"

While I can appreciate the analogy, you do realize you are comparing Ron Livingston to Humphrey Bogart don't you? In what is generally considered a cinematic masterpiece. Granted, I've never seen Casablanca, but for sure I know Bogart is in it.

that isn't really what i meant, Riley got handed a caddy by Stoops so far all he's had to is not wreck it. he's untested when the going gets rough. let's see how he handles a divided locker room. or going 8-5. recall the ZerOU fan base when that happened to Stoops? twice. in 2009 and recently in 2014 two years before he left. their fans took the phrase conniption fit to a new level.

there will be times when ZerOU struggles under Riley and he'll have to deal with things that as OC he never had to.
I'm not sure that's a fair portrayal.

I think TT told us more than we want to admit. It’s not like we beat sand aggy by a FG. We beat them 70-35 and it could have been 84-35. That’s not normal and that doesn’t just happen because the opponent is average or bad. Teams don’t just stumble into 70 points in a game, teams don’t just stumble into games where they never have to punt.

How many ‘05 games got into the 70s with VY at the helm? Again, it doesn’t happen often so when it does, it should probably tell us something.

Among the things this program has struggled with over the past decade is going on the road and playing frog. There’s a chance to get a two-fer in Ft Worth this weekend. Texas needs to come out with their hair on fire and continue to leave impressive data points for people and recruits to chew on.

I agree. Like I said in my game thoughts on saturday, that beat down of TT had a '98 feel when you could see things starting to cook under first year Mack.

Like Rodgers, he's the clear No.1 statistical player at his position of all-time, but he only has one one Super Bowl ring.

That's pretty silly. He's a freakin' kicker. Rodgers only have 1 SB is mainly due to, well, him. Tucker's the GOAT amongst kickers. Rodgers probably isn't top 5 amongst QBs. It's a foolhardy comparison.

Even if Texas had scoured the portal for OL, who would we have had a realistic shot at getting?

what options there were, would they come to Texas? I think we overestimate our pull in the portal sometimes, especially going into a transition year with a new coach.
I've gone through it time and time again.

The profile needs to be players from the state of Texas that go out of state and achieve success elsewhere.

Justice Oluwaseun was a multi-year starter at UNLV at multiple positions, he is from Texas and was in the portal. He's now the starting right tackle at Miami and played well vs.Bama.

Reactions: SR60 and horns--21
No one is comparing them because there isn't a comparison. Evans has racked up bigger numbers against lesser opponents and Bijan already has 1000 career yards while Evans leads in suspensions. It's like comparing VY to Reggie McNeal. There is no comparison.
I've seen people comparing them.

Wow, you lost a lot of points with me that you’d never watched Band of Brothers before. Bet you cried at least a little during the last episode. Joe Toye going back to his old (literally) stomping grounds was just one of many tear-jerking scenes for me. There’s nothing I was more proud of to share with my sons.
I'll just have to work hard to recoup those lost points.

Reactions: Duanej6
Love that you watched and appreciated BOB. It is truly a great memoir and so well done. Next up when you have time :The Pacific. Different, but very good in its own right.
I've already seen it.

Two weeks ago OB (Ketch) didn't think Casey was as good as Hud, now he's better than Spencer, expected to win the heisman and be 1st QB in the draft. Appears a lot of folks need to re-evaluate their player evaluation skills.
That's actually not accurate.

I've said throughout the summer that I thought the two were close enough that the one selected might not represent a difference in the win/loss column at the end of the season.

I might end up being wrong, but not in the way you believe I am.

He was an intellectual, left Harvard to join paratroopers, declined a commission to be a “grunt” to write and document the war. He wrote a book called Parachute Infantry. Wounded twice, Was the last of the Toccoa men to be rotated home. His POV on the war was highlighted by his distain for Germany and their audacity in starting the war and disrupting lives. Hence the speech. After the war wrote for the Wall St Journal and Saturday Evening Post, Was lost at sea when he went out alone fishing while researching a book on sharks. Ambrose writes in some detail about him. Just an interesting character worth looking into.

A belated B/S:

Outside of Bama, UGA and maybe A&M, on the road at Arkansas was the worst possible spot for this particular Texas team in week 2. In fact, given that we would have been the prohibitive underdog in all three of those games, maybe the worst possible spot for national optics & fanbase morale.
I'll buy based on the type of team Arkansas has,

Reactions: LSM_Zach
I'll do something this week. Two that come to mind are the current starters at left tackle for TCU and the starting right tackle at Miami, both of whom were former Texas prep players.

Texas has five players it really trusts, yet thought it had enough depth to not even try to improve it.

It was a mistake in real time and it still is.
Thank you for the reply.

@Ketchum I’m seriously curious what you think the season would look like right now with Herman as coach. Would the same QB discovery have happened? Would we be winning games by 35? Honest
Texas would have the same record, Card would be the starter and the team wouldn't quite be as good for it.

Quite honestly, the only people with that "question" on Monday after Arky debacle were those with their heels dug in on Card. Objective folks knew Thompson was getting the nod against Rice.
k.

I guess. But clearly he's playing at a DECIDEDLY lower level compared to OU QB play going back to '15. The lowest passer rating for OU going back to 2015 was 173 by Mayfield in '15. And Mayfield had a 5 to 1 TD to pick ratio. From '16-'19, OU's season passer rating was north of 190 every season. With an average TD to pick ratio of 6 to 1. So "pretty well" is a stretch since it's most important when compared to how OU's offense goes.
Yes, compared to the other-worldy all-time historical numbers the quarterbacks produced in the previous half-decade, it's a major step backwards.

Compared to Sam Ehlinger, it's roughly the same.

Amazing how different the standards are.

Yes, and Ketch and Anwar both had a sell on the same question in last week's YouTube B/S. We'll see going forward, but the line looked very different the last two games. They also looked pretty good in last years KState game and against Colorado with the same group.
whatever we do, let's not make too much out of performances against two of the worst groups this team will face all season.

While I can appreciate the analogy, you do realize you are comparing Ron Livingston to Humphrey Bogart don't you? In what is generally considered a cinematic masterpiece. Granted, I've never seen Casablanca, but for sure I know Bogart is in it.
and BoB is considered a TV masterpiece.

That's pretty silly. He's a freakin' kicker. Rodgers only have 1 SB is mainly due to, well, him. Tucker's the GOAT amongst kickers. Rodgers probably isn't top 5 amongst QBs. It's a foolhardy comparison.
k, champ. ;)

He was an intellectual, left Harvard to join paratroopers, declined a commission to be a “grunt” to write and document the war. He wrote a book called Parachute Infantry. Wounded twice, Was the last of the Toccoa men to be rotated home. His POV on the war was highlighted by his distain for Germany and their audacity in starting the war and disrupting lives. Hence the speech. After the war wrote for the Wall St Journal and Saturday Evening Post, Was lost at sea when he went out alone fishing while researching a book on sharks. Ambrose writes in some detail about him. Just an interesting character worth looking into.
How they treated him upon returning to the company after he has been out injured was a fascinating window into the minds of those around him.

Reactions: Dal_Horn and t2x
Yes, compared to the other-worldy all-time historical numbers the quarterbacks produced in the previous half-decade, it's a major step backwards.

Compared to Sam Ehlinger, it's roughly the same.

Amazing how different the standards are.

I get that. But again, whether or not it's a matter of relative to prior OU QB standards, the fact is THAT'S been the biggest strength of OU during their current run of B12 dominance. If they don't have that then they are extremely vulnerable.

ADVERTISEMENT