ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From The Weekend: Is Casey better than Spencer Rattler?

I think that's burnt orange confirmation bias speaking. ;)
You’re a stats guy, check back, how many 70 point outings turned out to be fools gold, not just for Texas, but for any team across the college landscape?

I said more data points are needed before we go bonkers but what happens on Saturday cannot simply be chalked up to “sand aggy was a bad team”.

who said he needs 25?

Basic math? Bijan averages 6 yd/carry. 200 divided by 6 is 33 carries. Sure, SMU ran for 350 yds against TCU. Also took FIFTY-TWO carries. If Bijan gets to 200 carries in less than 20 carries then great. But frankly, given rock solid depth at RB, I think it would be rather foolish to increase his workload to 25+ carries the week before OU simply to give him a pretty 200 yard day. Obviously if it's legit we need him then so be it. But not just for the sake of aesthetics.

One of my biggest takeaways on BOB is the different leadership styles. You have quiet leaders, aggressive leaders, servant leaders, leaders that get you to perform because they hate you, leaders who are best under pressure...etc. You could write a business book based just on BOB.

I get that. But again, whether or not it's a matter of relative to prior OU QB standards, the fact is THAT'S been the biggest strength of OU during their current run of B12 dominance. If they don't have that then they are extremely vulnerable.
I think we need to be careful about how we present potential September fool's gold.

I'm not writing Rattler off.

whatever we do, let's not make too much out of performances against two of the worst groups this team will face all season.
I agree. But it is good to see them play well against those types of teams than continuing to struggle. It’s ok to change your opinion based on what happens.

and BoB is considered a TV masterpiece.

And Ron Livingston? I think you missed the point. A better analogy to Casablanca might be, you never knew Marlon Brando was in the Godfather until you watched it. Get it? Two all-time classics starting two all-time hollywood legends.

I think we need to be careful about how we present potential September fool's gold.

I'm not writing Rattler off.

I understand for sure. Not writing him off. But again, this season feels bumpier offensively for OU. Particularly given they have a returning starter.

Basic math? Bijan averages 6 yd/carry. 200 divided by 6 is 33 carries. Sure, SMU ran for 350 yds against TCU. Also took FIFTY-TWO carries. If Bijan gets to 200 carries in less than 20 carries then great. But frankly, given rock solid depth at RB, I think it would be rather foolish to increase his workload to 25+ carries the week before OU simply to give him a pretty 200 yard day. Obviously if it's legit we need him then so be it. But not just for the sake of aesthetics.

Basic math is not how 200-250 yard games go down for the most part. They end up being on the good extreme side of things.

Added volume with a higher than normal YPC is how it usually happens, not taking the average YPC and multiplying it by as many carries as needed to get to the number.

I agree. But it is good to see them play well against those types of teams than continuing to struggle. It’s ok to change your opinion based on what happens.
Last week represented improvement. That's good. It needs to continue.

Reactions: FrankS1985
And Ron Livingston? I think you missed the point. A better analogy to Casablanca might be, you never knew Marlon Brando was in the Godfather until you watched it. Get it? Two all-time classics starting two all-time hollywood legends.
I think you go out of your way to nitpick any comparison that isn't a perfect side by side comparison and it's not really needed.

Now, go watch Casablanca.

Reactions: BigSkyHorn
4. The biggest miss of the entire series is taking the time to tell one of the episodes from the perspective of Albert Blithe, only to get the details of his life and death completely wrong. It's a tremendous failure to have him navigate episode three "Carneton" for the audience and then tell us at the end that he didn't recover from his wounds in the battle from being shot in and that he died in 1948 when it turns out that he not only recovered from his wounds, but served as an active member of the military until 1967! If that mistake gets made in 2021, the series would have been ruined from a reputation standpoint. How have 20 years gone by and they've not corrected their mistake? For my money, it's one of the single biggest mistakes in the history of television. I can't even begin to explain my thoughts when the episode ended and I googled "Albert Blithe" and found out that he had survived another two decades.

Not sure if it was already mentioned, but there is a podcast that they guy from Men in Blazers is doing. He had one of the screen writers on the 2nd or 3rd episode and they discussed this. Basically the writers took a lot of the stories the men told them as fact, and this was still pretty early in the days of the internet, 96ish when they actually did the writing. He admitted they made a few historical errors that wouldn't have have happened in todays' day in age.

I understand for sure. Not writing him off. But again, this season feels bumpier offensively for OU. Particularly given they have a returning starter.
Rattler had a 172 season rating in his first season as a starter, but in 3 of the first 4 games last season it was 154 if you take out the Montana State game. That's 2 points higher than it is now.

Maybe he's a player that heats up as the season goes.

Not sure if it was already mentioned, but there is a podcast that they guy from Men in Blazers is doing. He had one of the screen writers on the 2nd or 3rd episode and they discussed this. Basically the writers took a lot of the stories the men told them as fact, and this was still pretty early in the days of the internet, 96ish when they actually did the writing. He admitted they made a few historical errors that wouldn't have have happened in todays' day in age.

Sorry, that's not good enough for me. Do your homework, especially if you're going to tell one of the episodes from the perspective of the guy you killed 20 years too early.

Between this thread and Anwar's, we sure are giving OU a lot of bulletin board material before the game.

Basic math is not how 200-250 yard games go down for the most part. They end up being on the good extreme side of things.

Added volume with a higher than normal YPC is how it usually happens, not taking the average YPC and multiplying it by as many carries as needed to get to the number.

Well, for one thing, you said:

... It feels like Bijan Robinson is due for a 200+ yard monster kind of game and after watching TCU give up 350 yards rushing to SMU on Saturday, it feels like the only thing that might keep Robinson from that kind of statement-making game is volume.

So that's what I based my retort on.

Bijan is averaging 17+ carries/gm thus far. He's averaging 6.2 yds/carry. SMU's leading rusher put up 153 on 20 carries. Just over 7.5 yds/ carry. Based on that he would have needed just over 7 additional carries to get to 200. Now you are saying it really isn't about basic math. Which given the rest of the context you are saying Bijan will start breaking off 10-15 yds clip and get there in less than 20 carries. Which then wouldn't really mean an appreciable increase in "volume" would it? FWIW, here are Ricky's biggest games from '98

New Mexico - 215 yds on THIRTY-SIX carries. Against NEW MEXICO.
Rice - 322 on thirty carries.
ISU - 352 on thirty-seven carries
OU - 151 yds on 31 carries
Baylor - 275 on 39 carries
Nebraska - 157 on 37 carries
Tech - 142 on 30 carries
aggy - 272 on 44 carries
MS St - 208 on 30 carries

Of those 9 games, Rick averaged fewer than 7 yds/carry in SEVEN of them.

So it's very likely if you want Bijan to get a pretty 200 yds, regardless if needed or not, he is going to need 25+ carries. Why would you do that the week before the biggest regular season on the calendar if you don't need to do so?

Between this thread and Anwar's, we sure are giving OU a lot of bulletin board material before the game.

I don’t think Teams go to opposing sites for material. That needs to come from the opposing players/coaches.

Well, for one thing, you said:

So that's what I based my retort on.

Bijan is averaging 17+ carries/gm thus far. He's averaging 6.2 yds/carry. SMU's leading rusher put up 153 on 20 carries. Just over 7.5 yds/ carry. Based on that he would have needed just over 7 additional carries to get to 200. Now you are saying it really isn't about basic math. Which given the rest of the context you are saying Bijan will start breaking off 10-15 yds clip and get there in less than 20 carries. Which then wouldn't really mean an appreciable increase in "volume" would it? FWIW, here are Ricky's biggest games from '98

New Mexico - 215 yds on THIRTY-SIX carries. Against NEW MEXICO.
Rice - 322 on thirty carries.
ISU - 352 on thirty-seven carries
OU - 151 yds on 31 carries
Baylor - 275 on 39 carries
Nebraska - 157 on 37 carries
Tech - 142 on 30 carries
aggy - 272 on 44 carries
MS St - 208 on 30 carries

Of those 9 games, Rick averaged fewer than 7 yds/carry in SEVEN of them.

So it's very likely if you want Bijan to get a pretty 200 yds, regardless if needed or not, he is going to need 25+ carries. Why would you do that the week before the biggest regular season on the calendar if you don't need to do so?

I think he probably only needed 18-20 carries against Rice. He received 13.

I think he probably only needed 18-20 carries against Rice. He received 13.

Well, based on "basic math," sure. He averaged 10 yds/carry. At the end of the day does it really matter he didn't get 200 yds in a game literally nobody would GAF about? I don't get the overwhelming desire for him to pile up needless numbers this early against nobodies.

Well, based on "basic math," sure. He averaged 10 yds/carry. At the end of the day does it really matter he didn't get 200 yds in a game literally nobody would GAF about? I don't get the overwhelming desire for him to pile up needless numbers this early against nobodies.

I'm not sure that there's a "overwhelming desire", as much as I simply said it feels like he's close to such a performance.

You've added descriptive words for your own purpose of coloring in the lines for the narrative that you believe exists in your head, but doesn't really exist in reality.

This is what was said: " It feels like Bijan Robinson is due for a 200+ yard monster kind of game and after watching TCU give up 350 yards rushing to SMU on Saturday, it feels like the only thing that might keep Robinson from that kind of statement-making game is volume."

Where you pulled overwhelming desire" out of that only you can answer. ;)

Our early Oline struggles was partly a product of Flood not having enough time and will actual help recruiting in the long run as it will show the impact of Floods development

(Sell) This question confuses me. I'm not sure I can completely wrap my head around the implications of what is being suggested.

Seems to me that the simplest explanation for the OL’s struggles early on is that they were learning and adapting to a brand new scheme. It’s one thing to do it in practice, it’s another to do it in a game environment, especially an extremely hostile one like Fayetteville in just the second game. This group may not be history-making in terms of Texas lines, but I see them coming together and improving throughout the season as they internalize the nuances and intricacies of what Flood is asking them to do and they develop more unit cohesiveness around his schemes.

Reactions: Texas_Cubs_Fan
I'm not sure that there's a "overwhelming desire", as much as I simply said it feels like he's close to such a performance.

You've added descriptive words for your own purpose of coloring in the lines for the narrative that you believe exists in your head, but doesn't really exist in reality.

This is what was said: " It feels like Bijan Robinson is due for a 200+ yard monster kind of game and after watching TCU give up 350 yards rushing to SMU on Saturday, it feels like the only thing that might keep Robinson from that kind of statement-making game is volume."

Where you pulled overwhelming desire" out of that only you can answer. ;)

Pretty sure you also pointed out something similar after the Rice game. Something to the effect of for aesthetic appeal. So at a minimum, you are pushing to see Bijan get a 200 yd game regardless if it's necessary or not. Personally, I'd just as soon continue to spread out our carries over a rather talented trio of RBs. There's probably going to come a time where we need Bijan to get 25+ carries. But it's pointless to do that just to do that.

Pretty sure you also pointed out something similar after the Rice game. Something to the effect of for aesthetic appeal. So at a minimum, you are pushing to see Bijan get a 200 yd game regardless if it's necessary or not. Personally, I'd just as soon continue to spread out our carries over a rather talented trio of RBs. There's probably going to come a time where we need Bijan to get 25+ carries. But it's pointless to do that just to do that.

I wish you and @Ketchum would get a room and try and “out nit pick” each other in private….

Reactions: JJNaught
Seems to me that the simplest explanation for the OL’s struggles early on is that they were learning and adapting to a brand new scheme. It’s one thing to do it in practice, it’s another to do it in a game environment, especially an extremely hostile one like Fayetteville in just the second game. This group may not be history-making in terms of Texas lines, but I see them coming together and improving throughout the season as they internalize the nuances and intricacies of what Flood is asking them to do and they develop more unit cohesiveness around his schemes.
The simplest explanation for the struggles is that there aren't any true plus-players in the group and they aren't that good as a group.

I mean... at the end of the season when it's time for All-America honors... those types of inflated games against meaningless opponents often matter a lot.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT