ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From The Weekend (Is this the GOAT UT hoops team?)

I've heard about it. ;)
The Wacker team was coached by Abe, undefeated and ranked #1 in the country until he sustained a devasting knee injury in mid-season from which he never fully recovered. Wacker was a stud and I believe that they beat UH during the Olajuwon era before Wacker was injured. Wacker was a native Texan and I believe that he was from San Marcos and played BB there under his dad.

Although the 2002-2004 teams may not have been laced with the NBA-level talent of some later Barnes' teams, they went to the elite 8 twice and final four. Both TJ Ford and Royal Ivy, I believe were members of those teams were members of those teams. Ford ended up a first-round draft choice by the Bucks and would have had a great NBA career but for his injury. Ivy was also a good, but not great, NBA player. I don't recall that any UT team since then has made the elite 8, although there may have been one. But until a team achieves the level of excellence that the 2002-2004 teams did, they are not the greatest IMO.

The Wacker team was coached by Abe, undefeated and ranked #1 in the country until he sustained a devasting knee injury in mid-season from which he never fully recovered. Wacker was a stud and I believe that they beat UH during the Olajuwon era before Wacker was injured. Wacker was a native Texan and I believe that he was from San Marcos and played BB there under his dad.

Although the 2002-2004 teams may not have been laced with the NBA-level talent of some later Barnes' teams, they went to the elite 8 twice and final four. Both TJ Ford and Royal Ivy, I believe were members of those teams were members of those teams. Ford ended up a first-round draft choice by the Bucks and would have had a great NBA career but for his injury. Ivy was also a good, but not great, NBA player. I don't recall that any UT team since then has made the elite 8, although there may have been one. But until a team achieves the level of excellence that the 2002-2004 teams did, they are not the greatest IMO.
The Wacker injury occurred in Waco if I'm not mistaken. I've never seen video of it.

The Wacker injury occurred in Waco if I'm not mistaken. I've never seen video of it.
It may have. I simply don't recall. I only remember listening to the radio broadcast and how severely the commentators described his injury. I also remember that team was never the same after Wacker's injury. They were undefeated at the time and finished the season 16-11. They only won three other games after Wacker's injury.

Last edited:
Ketch, you are correct. I looked up the 1981-1982 team, which also featured LaSalle Thompson. UT was 13-0 and ranked in the top-five when they played the Bears in the old Heart of Texas Coliseum. I was also correct that the team beat UH (95-83) earlier in the season at Hofeinz Pavilion when the Cougars had Olajuwon, Drexler, Young, Micheaux, Gettys and a few other very good players.

Reactions: KatyKid
Ketch, you are correct. I looked up the 1981-1982 team, which also featured LaSalle Thompson. UT was 13-0 and ranked in the top-five when they played the Bears in the old Heart of Texas Coliseum. I was also correct that the team beat UH (95-83) earlier in the season at Hofeinz Pavilion when the Cougars had Olajuwon, Drexler, Young, Micheaux, Gettys and a few other very good players.
The Heart of Texas Coliseum was a dump of all dumps.

That ‘81-‘82 team got as high as #5 that season. Mike Wacker didn’t play for his Dad. His dad was Head FB Coach at SWT. Which is why Mike played at SM HS. The ‘02’-04 teams went to the Sweet 16 twice, not the Elite 8, along with the FF.
Texas made two Elite 8s since. ‘06 with LA, PJ & D-Gib. ‘08 with DJ & James.

OK so I finally went and saw Creed III last night and have some thoughts. First of all, despite the nits I am about to pick, I enjoyed the movie and will definitely watch it again. That being said, there were some major flaws that had me laughing throughout the movie.

1. Let's start with how jacked up the timeline continues to be in this series and how it continually shifts. So we flash back to 2002 when we are supposed to assume Adonis is a young teenager. Apollo died in 1985 which would make him 17 at the youngest. A minor nitpick until we then jump 15 years to 2017 where Creed has then had a full career and retires before Creed II is even made.

We then jump to present day where his daughter is 5-6 years old yet they say he has been retired from boxing for 3 years. It's just a jumbled mess.

2. I know they are moving on from Rocky, but not even a passing mention of him the entire film? Despite all that Creed goes through in the movie, we are supposed to believe that Rocky has just completely vanished from his life? They couldn't even throw in some lame excuse to address why he is suddenly non-existent?

3. They couldn't come up with a better "Heavyweight" champ than Jose Benavidez? We are supposed to believe that a guy that weighs 160 pounds soaking wet is the Heavyweight Champ? And they said his record was like 15-1? How the hell did he become champ?

4. The premise of Dame getting a shot at the title for his 1st professional bout is comical. I know they have to make a movie, but they couldn't get this guy at least a couple of fights to make it remotely plausible for him to get a title shot? "Hey I know this guy hasn't had a single fight at any level for 20 years, but let's give him a shot at the title!"

5. During the title fight with Chavez, he basically fouls the entire fight and gets away with it. He would never be allowed to do what he did in that fight. Oh and his ridiculously long, looping punches were awful. Any decent pro would easily dispatch a guy who throws punches like that.

6. So Dame is now champ with one fight under his belt and suddenly Creed is an underdog. During the ring walk, the announcers say due to Creed's ring rust from 3 years off, Dame could end it quickly. The guy has fought like 2 rounds in 20 years and we are worried about Creed's ring rust?

7. I know they said Dame had "some priors", but he gets 18 years for pointing a gun at someone? Ok

The whole movie is patently absurd, and I will definitely watch it again.

• Haha
Reactions: Ketchum
OK so I finally went and saw Creed III last night and have some thoughts. First of all, despite the nits I am about to pick, I enjoyed the movie and will definitely watch it again. That being said, there were some major flaws that had me laughing throughout the movie.

1. Let's start with how jacked up the timeline continues to be in this series and how it continually shifts. So we flash back to 2002 when we are supposed to assume Adonis is a young teenager. Apollo died in 1985 which would make him 17 at the youngest. A minor nitpick until we then jump 15 years to 2017 where Creed has then had a full career and retires before Creed II is even made.

We then jump to present day where his daughter is 5-6 years old yet they say he has been retired from boxing for 3 years. It's just a jumbled mess.

2. I know they are moving on from Rocky, but not even a passing mention of him the entire film? Despite all that Creed goes through in the movie, we are supposed to believe that Rocky has just completely vanished from his life? They couldn't even throw in some lame excuse to address why he is suddenly non-existent?

3. They couldn't come up with a better "Heavyweight" champ than Jose Benavidez? We are supposed to believe that a guy that weighs 160 pounds soaking wet is the Heavyweight Champ? And they said his record was like 15-1? How the hell did he become champ?

4. The premise of Dame getting a shot at the title for his 1st professional bout is comical. I know they have to make a movie, but they couldn't get this guy at least a couple of fights to make it remotely plausible for him to get a title shot? "Hey I know this guy hasn't had a single fight at any level for 20 years, but let's give him a shot at the title!"

5. During the title fight with Chavez, he basically fouls the entire fight and gets away with it. He would never be allowed to do what he did in that fight. Oh and his ridiculously long, looping punches were awful. Any decent pro would easily dispatch a guy who throws punches like that.

6. So Dame is now champ with one fight under his belt and suddenly Creed is an underdog. During the ring walk, the announcers say due to Creed's ring rust from 3 years off, Dame could end it quickly. The guy has fought like 2 rounds in 20 years and we are worried about Creed's ring rust?

7. I know they said Dame had "some priors", but he gets 18 years for pointing a gun at someone? Ok

Try to just enjoy the movie. Geez Louise.

Ill Allow It GIF

• Love
Reactions: Baconbeard
ADVERTISEMENT