ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (Is Todd Orlando the new Tim Beck?)

I think the point that has been missed is that fans and apparently mods need to stop over reacting and let the process take its course. For better or for worse.

No joke. If not for all of the injuries on defense and the offense coming away with only 3 pts after two trips inside the 10, the Horns win by 14+. Orlando has kicked ass for years and now he is just one big dummy. Insane.

Reactions: ArielC
Love that baby bear and the mom saying don't make me come down there and get you, you got this. : )
Doe's she know better than to dive after her baby as a human mother would ?or does the toughness of nature allow her to care a little less and focus on herself.Of course it's obvious that the cub is a whole lot more able to cope with difficulties than a human baby could so maybe she knows that he can do it as a human Mom would know that her baby can't. I wonder what would happen if the baby bear had become exhausted and unable to continue.Would she have come down when It cried for her?

Coaching makes a difference. Coach Hand has done a magnificent job with the offensive line. Maybe we should steal a defensive line coach from the SEC. For that matter, where's Gene Chisik? He can pull in some good defensive coaches and recruit too. Plus, where is Duane Akina? We were DBU when we had talent plus coaching.
I think our defensive backfield will go through th same transition that Sam did.Just wait until next year.We do need some Badass d-linemen now.

Heading into the off-season, Orlando is going to need to go through a little soul-searching and figure out what defense best fits the talent that is available to him.

People are usually too busy bitching about OCs that they feel to realize that DCs also tend to have a short life with the Texas fan base also. I think Orlando greatly benefitted last season from the crap show that was the offense, along of course with some players Texas fans oddly never seemed to embrace. But now with the offense playing no less than solid more folks are looking at the D and wonder "WTF?" As for his scheme, there isn't a single 3-man front that is going to be terribly successful w/o a VERY good NT.

Reactions: NativeTex
Personally, I thought Saturday's performance against West Virginia was the best of his young career, replacing his performance against Kansas State from last season (or against Oklahoma from this season, if you like). If Ehlinger can play anywhere near that well in these final three games, I think the Longhorns will finish 9-3.

Honestly, I'm not sure how you can even compare his game last season against KSU with this 2 against OU and WVU, ESPECIALLY when you consider the opponents. But just a look at the raw numbers comparisons, here's what you got:

'17 KSU - 60% comp, 2td/1int, 133 passer rating, 60.2 aQBR
'18 OU - 68%, 2td/0, 162 rating, 85.6aQBR
'18 WVU - 69%, 3td/0, 179, 91.8 aQBR.

His KSU game last season doesn't remotely sniff his games against OU and WVU.

Heisman Top 3: Tua Tagovailoa, Kyler Murray and Gardner Minshew.

1. Tua
2. Tua
3. Tua

This is gonna be a landslide. Will be surprised if it isn't one of the biggest landslide Heisman wins ever.

Pretty simple as to why the LB'ers are not getting production, the O line men are able to get hats, hands or just in the way to handicap them in a variety of fronts. The 3 man D line Orlando is trotting out there is horrible, cant stop the run, zero pass rush and blitzes are getting picked up mostly by the other 2 free O linemen, rb or te. Unreal he keeps trying this mess with tons of proof it's not working at all. Cost us 2 wins in the last couple of weeks.
The pure facts are that everyone on this site had Orlando as the second coming. He is a coach that can't seem to adjust to what is going on in the game. We were better defensively last year with Charlie's players. Do not expect much in 2019; we have no visible upgrades except maybe in the secondary but you don't win when they are making all of the tackles and getting beat deep when that is the last thing you can allow to happen.

People are usually too busy bitching about OCs that they feel to realize that DCs also tend to have a short life with the Texas fan base also. I think Orlando greatly benefitted last season from the crap show that was the offense, along of course with some players Texas fans oddly never seemed to embrace. But now with the offense playing no less than solid more folks are looking at the D and wonder "WTF?" As for his scheme, there isn't a single 3-man front that is going to be terribly successful w/o a VERY good NT.

There's that and the fact we have a 4-3 Weakside LB standing in as a 3-4 defensive end and the coaches are wondering why basic gap control doesn't exist.

Been saying that for weeks. Besides the D, I'm not sure how much of an advantage, if any, we have at QB, and i fully expect that Butler will go absolutely off.

Finish 7-5 (or even possibly 6-6) after starting out 6-1 and people will not be happy, or optimistic about the long-term prospects for the Herman regime.

Finish 7-5 (or even possibly 6-6) after starting out 6-1 and people will not be happy, or optimistic about the long-term prospects for the Herman regime.

And that's certainly fair. My BASELINE for this season was 8-4. So IMO, we have to sweep our last 3 to get more than a "meh" rating on the season.

Reactions: CutaneousHorn
The much heralded 2016 DT class has been a complete bust and we're paying the price right now. We signed Chris Daniels, Marcel Southall, Gerald Wilbon, D'Andre Christmas-Giles and Jordan Elliott and all we have to show for it is 3 transfers, 1 back-up and 1 buried on the depth chart. That's a killer.

3-4 or 4-3, I'm not sure it's gonna matter with the lack of experience and talent among the Longhorns front 7 in 2019. Yikes!

Herman is on the fast track to leading a shootout program. I'm not sure that's gonna work out.

If u can't recruit elite or serviceable D linemen, then u need to be able to recruit elite or good LBs. If u can't do either of the above, then your DBs need to be very good or elite and not let receivers run past them from the 35 ydline with 21 seconds left. Since our DBs failed big time in the last 2 games, we couldn't survive the play of our mediocre front 7.

Yes this loss is mostly our D’s fault, no question. But put me in the camp that our coaches had the ability to coach around that glaring deficiency by better clock management.
Finishing the 4th quarter with the ball was a must in my opinion (both at that time...as I texted my buddy) and clearly in hindsight. Our D couldn’t stop anything, was gassed and WVU with 4 downs wasn’t going to be stopped.

Taking what’s given you applies when you can count on your D...even to some degree. That confidence was gone by halftime.

So you are saying that Duv shouldn’t have broken free? Or that Sam shouldn’t have thrown it?

The fact is the DB bit in the double move, had the DB not bit it would have been a 12-17 yard play...

a. She's arguably the greatest female gymnist in US history. Forgive me if I look at Babe's accomplishments and have a hard time slotting her over a modern athlete. If Babe were a current alive in today's world, she's not running track in the Olympics.

I think you are underselling Didrickson in that sense. I understand you put her second but this particular quote is interesting. For one, how do you know she WOULDN'T be running track in the Olympics? What she was able to do across MULTIPLE sports is pretty damn amazing.

Reactions: NativeTex and UTDB
Well, a defense with 6 DBs on the field is going to look a little different than a pure 3-4.

It hurts this team that the B-Backer has been mostly a useless, non-productive position. To say the least
Yep, the B Backer should be the team’s best pass rusher. Safe to say Von Miller is not on the roster.

and sometimes that can prove costly.
Yes, but if we had tried running the ball and didn't get a first down and had to punt, this site would have gone nuts because Herman turtled and was playing not to lose instead of playing to win. See: OU game. I actually thought he had the right strategy in the 4th quarter of Texas-OU, but seemed like 80% of the site disagreed.

Reactions: Cure4BizCancer
Glad your coming around to the idea that our LBer group will be the biggest issue next year

No joke. If not for all of the injuries on defense and the offense coming away with only 3 pts after two trips inside the 10, the Horns win by 14+. Orlando has kicked ass for years and now he is just one big dummy. Insane.
Your posts get sillier and less nuanced by the day.

Honestly, I'm not sure how you can even compare his game last season against KSU with this 2 against OU and WVU, ESPECIALLY when you consider the opponents. But just a look at the raw numbers comparisons, here's what you got:

'17 KSU - 60% comp, 2td/1int, 133 passer rating, 60.2 aQBR
'18 OU - 68%, 2td/0, 162 rating, 85.6aQBR
'18 WVU - 69%, 3td/0, 179, 91.8 aQBR.

His KSU game last season doesn't remotely sniff his games against OU and WVU.
fair enough

I think you are underselling Didrickson in that sense. I understand you put her second but this particular quote is interesting. For one, how do you know she WOULDN'T be running track in the Olympics? What she was able to do across MULTIPLE sports is pretty damn amazing.
Because she was running against an incomplete and less impressive pool of athletes. Her marks don't stand up over time.

Tech's loss of quarterback is a monster.
Understood, but night game in Lubbock requires a great effort for UT to win. With the current state of the defense, I am not confident.
With ZERO pass rush, Tech doesn't need exemplary QB play to move the ball.

ADVERTISEMENT