ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (It's Prediction Time!)

Orangebloods radio daily podcasts?

giphy.gif
working on it. shouldn't be this f'ing hard.

Reactions: hornchamp
Thanks for that last clip. Have friends and family in Houston, and they are still in the midst of this and will be for the next several days. Those who criticize the non-evac decree or whatever it wasn't obviously were not here for Rita. God Bless, folks. Hoping the game's played on Saturday.

Great write-up throughout. Good one Goodwin!

I still think 8 wins, including the bowl win. Injuries will take their toll with our lack of depth at some positions. My other prediction is that Hughes actually turns into a really good player now that he has solid coaching. Then again...

Again, God Bless Houston and surrounding area. They are about to get hit a second time when Harvey hits the Gulf and picks up steam before whacking H-Town with torrential downpours. Estimates are as high as 50 inches of rain before it's through. Growing up in Maine, that would translate to 150 inches of snow -- staggers the imagination. God Bless.

Hook 'em!!!
good stuff

I don't know what to say to that.
Just cutting that quote like that makes it seem like I believe the defense isn't a weakness, which I wasn't saying in the full context of the post. My point was that I don't see a difference between last year's defense and this year's. And the team won 13 games last year while practically taking a bye week in the loss in week 17. I'm not expecting them to do that well again, but I see 9-7 as the floor of the team, not what should be the expected record.

You guys don't need an insider to read between the lines. If you believe Tom is a no BS guy, it's obvious he's not thrilled with Shane or we would hear much more about it. Also, Shane is not a knucklehead or a kid who lacks focus. He's the son of a pro-athlete/coach who is a student of the game and wants to be great, so he doesn't need to be "motivated" by a coach using tactics through the media or whatnot. The question becomes, who's the most ready now? It may not be the same guy in a few weeks, who knows? Or maybe Shane turns it on with his opportunity. For me, it's pretty clear there's questions at QB for Tom right now.

With regard to your last point, @Ketchum, during the Charlottesville chaos, you made it known that was who we, as a nation and a people, are. I believe those were your exact words. Now, with your last point, you're showing a different picture of who we are. I would argue that we, as a nation and a people, are the images you're seeing in Houston and throughout Texas right now. We are seeing the very best examples of who we are. Don't turn away.
we are both of those things. Mankind stepping up at its best doesn't mean that its worst truths go away. It simply shows how high we can soar when we want to fly.

Reactions: whitenoize
A lot of coaches, like other leaders, become too emotionally invested in their choices. Which is why I'm encouraged by your suggestion that Herman is keeping Shane on a short leash - it's yet another sign that he cares more about winning than about being right.

I agree that Texas is likely to lose to USC and then rebound in Dallas. I'm far more concerned about OSU the next week in Austin than I am about Riley-led Oklahoma.

By the way, @Ketchum, what's your take on TCU this year? They have the veterans to mount another 2014-style season, but they don't have Doug Meacham or a clear Boykin-level QB. They're the biggest question mark for me in the B12 right now.
They confuse me. I see an 8-4 type of team.

Reactions: SkullSplitter
@Ketchum if their quarterback play was less inspiring then where did you come up with winning 9 games? Just curious?
a. I think Texas has elite coaches on both sides of the ball.
b. Texas has a lotof talent.
c. The quarterbacking will get better as the season goes along.
d. The schedule isn't too spooky.

Reactions: wesbearden
He also said Buechele was his starter "today".
Sure. There is a whole week of practice coming up. No one should expect the QB can shit the bed game week and nothing happen.

If we are to believe Herman tells it like it is then Shane is currently playing well

Reactions: J Tull
He wasn't going to do anything but that today. You won't do it, but you really should trust me on these matters.

herman hasn't been one for hyperbole. If Shane hadn't specifically had a good last week or so I'd expect him to say so. He's done it since he was hired.

TCU and WV were both in the top 30 in defensive FEI in 2016. KSU was 34. USC 37. OSU and Baylor both in the top 50.

Please notice I used the words "great" and "physically." Do Okie Lite and RU's Ds remotely conjure up the word "great?" And the old man in Manhattan doesn't really frighten me.

what he could have done vs. what he did do are two different things.

And what he "did" could have been influenced by numerous other more probable things then him somehow struggling with an amateur boxer.

Please notice I used the words "great" and "physically." Do Okie Lite and RU's Ds remotely conjure up the word "great?" And the old man in Manhattan doesn't really frighten me.

Great? No. Physically? I mean, those defenses have the athletes to mitigate or offset any physical advantage we have (size/strength/speed wise).

Great? No. Physically? I mean, those defenses have the athletes to mitigate or offset any physical advantage we have (size/strength/speed wise).

We'll see. Other than SC and OU, not a lot of Ds on the schedule will be able to impose their will on our offense IMO.

We'll see. Other than SC and OU, not a lot of Ds on the schedule will be able to impose their will on our offense IMO.

OU's defense is average. Much better units on the schedule if you believe the data.

Look, TH is a no BS guy, but he's not blind to optics, especially when a bed has to be made shortly. Just look at the evolution of the whole situation and what's been said and written. It's not hard.

I have family stranded in their homes in that are, friends, too.My wife can't sleep because her mom is alone in her Houston home.

How dare you?

Ketch, sorry I jumped on you. It's been a tough week in Houston but you didn't deserve that. My apologies.

I hope you and your wife's family and friends are safe.

what is the combined score of the last three meetings between the two?

Who cares? That was their coach sticking it to Charlie. This team ain't that team. In any way that matters. Its the same as trying to compare our performance against OU and then OU's performance against TCU and then saying how Texas should perform against TCU.

You can't do it with teams, you can't do it with different coaches.

Charlie had them playing surprisingly well against OU. But terrible against TCU. What Tom does will undoubtedly be different. And there is no way to compare meaningfully past performances.

The data shows our offensive efficiency was poor last year, even with the best RB in college football.

Oh come on Wiz, go take a wiz. I'm not saying our offense was perfect by any means, but Shane wasn't the reason we were losing games last season. That offense (Baylor's offense basically) is about as simple simon as it comes. You have basically one read and that's all. Well, by the end of the season all the teams had taken the deep ball and the middle routes off the table. All we had left was the horizontal or flat routes or we could run the football (which is what we did). Shane was not our problem last season. To say otherwise is nonsense. Was the perfect? No, but for being thrown out there as an 18 year old true freshman with a make shift oline, (that held together as best as it could) he did pretty damn well. And I won't even begin to remind you of our defensive woes...Shane is going to do great this year and you and Ketch will never hear the end of it. Because people will remind you guys daily how little faith you've shown in Shane.

That's absolutely BS and you know it. There is no way their DB's (most all freshman by the way) that shut down or offset our physical advantage. You obviously don't know much about OSU's defense.

Ketch, sorry I jumped on you. It's been a tough week in Houston but you didn't deserve that. My apologies.

I hope you and your wife's family and friends are safe.
No worries. Here's to everyone being safe. It's still quite scary out there.

ADVERTISEMENT