ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (It's time for Herman to take back Dallas)

Switzer is quoted as saying (regarding recruiting), “ just give me Houston”.

You have to take old coaching comments with a grain of salt. DKR said "Only 3 things can happen when you pass, and two of them are bad." How feasible is that strategy today?

It's been well over 3 decades since Switzer and Royal were recruiting. College football, demographics, and recruiting strategies have all changed since then. It would be extremely short-sighted these days for Herman to go back to recruiting one local area or even one state.

tenor.gif

Reactions: Let em Hang
So the moral to this story is Beck is staying because he has the best DFW connections to recruit, and TH thinks he can fix Becks playcalling (I hope) with some help from Hand?

Reactions: Baguette
Houston isn't going to likely be the same kind of clean sweep that it mostly was a year ago.

Not with Ro Simon

Also, being honest the offense moving forward has me pretty concerned. I didn't like what I saw and it wasn't all on the offensive line. I hope Hand's title is more than just window dressing for $$$.

Last edited:
Go ahead and quote it for me. For the life of me, I don't see the answer to my question.
For a guy that loves to tell everyone how smart he is, the basics seem to slip by you fairly easily at times.

The answer to your question is that no opinion was given how successful or unsuccessful the staff will be this year.

What was discussed was how the dynamics inside of location of top talent have changed from last year to this year, while discussing the realities of his staff's unproven quality with regards to working in the area of the state discussed.

The question I answered, which you responded to, centered around benefit of the doubt given to the staff in recruiting. I expressed that it hasn't yet been earned in Dallas. That is supported by everything written in the section.

Ultimately, I believe they'll be fine, but I don't know if they will absolutely knock it out of the box in DWF.

Ketch, what is the biggest or most effective negative recruiting tactic used against Herman and Co?

1) Herman is a jerk sometimes to players like Armanti Foreman and can seem petty sometimes; more players than usual considering leaving early or transferring who probably shouldnt.

2) Big 12 schedule has so many crappy games on it. Kansas, Iowa State, Baylor, Tech added to Maryland and Tulsa and its not very exciting (outside of OU and maybe TCU) . . . .

3) Herman and Co. underperformed in the development of players and in gameday coaching 2017

For a guy that loves to tell everyone how smart he is, the basics seem to slip by you fairly easily at times.

The answer to your question is that no opinion was given how successful or unsuccessful the staff will be this year.

What was discussed was how the dynamics inside of location of top talent have changed from last year to this year, while discussing the realities of his staff's unproven quality with regards to working in the area of the state discussed.

Ultimately, I believe they'll be fine, but I don't know if they will absolutely knock it out of the box in DWF.

For a guy that loves to tell everyone how smart he is, you probably shouldn't tell me that the answer to my question is in the original piece if it quite clearly wasn't.

Herman's staff has been assembled at Texas for one true recruiting cycle. They leveraged regional talent location during that time, and it worked almost to perfection. There was no need to "prove themselves" in DFW with the last class. Now regional focus will change, but the processes that generated a top 3 national class won't. There are multiple coaches on staff with DFW experience.

It's one thing to point out that the top tier talent is more evenly distributed regionally this year. But you seem to be implying that this shift could be a problem for Texas. I expect recruiting to be more competitive for this class, but not because of the talent location change.

Ketch, what is the biggest or most effective negative recruiting tactic used against Herman and Co?

1) Herman is a jerk sometimes to players like Armanti Foreman and can seem petty sometimes; more players than usual considering leaving early or transferring who probably shouldnt.

2) Big 12 schedule has so many crappy games on it. Kansas, Iowa State, Baylor, Tech added to Maryland and Tulsa and its not very exciting (outside of OU and maybe TCU) . . . .

3) Herman and Co. underperformed in the development of players and in gameday coaching 2017
I'm not sure one has really emerged.

The fact that he just signed this class gives him some juice. Unless it's HIS guys that he isn't gelling with, I think that's not too big of a deal.

For a guy that loves to tell everyone how smart he is, you probably shouldn't tell me that the answer to my question is in the original piece if it quite clearly wasn't.
Actually, the info you needed to answer your question was there. That I needed to answer it for you is a you issue.

Herman's staff has been assembled at Texas for one true recruiting cycle. They leveraged regional talent location during that time, and it worked almost to perfection. There was no need to "prove themselves" in DFW with the last class.
Whether they needed to prove themselves or not, they are still hugely unproven there.

That is not for debate.

Ketch nailed the QB B/S question....

People are underestimating the 2 frosh coming in, and overestimating Shane’s ability to stay healthy.

With an improved {maybe greatly so} O-line, Shane just may stay healthy for once. If he starts to see the whole field, and makes quicker progressive reads, watch out! All this assuming of course that Sam gets sidelined due to injury and/or boneheaded decision making.Then again, there's this guy named Rising.......

I'm pretty sure it has happened before.

Not according to the Rivals rankings which date back to 2002. I spent a few minutes searching for other services ranking pre-2002, but wasn't successful finding anything pre-2000.

1. In 2018, Dallas is greater than Houston. Debate solved? All jokes aside, the good thing is Texas didn't lose anybody from last year's coaching staff, which means it doesn't have to spend the offseason reestablishing relationships with players.

2. I think the mentioning of Chang was an effort to lesson the hype surrounding Carrington. Probably trying to bring balance to the conversation.

3. I don't understand why Texas doesn't have a 6-4 guard who can shoot the lights out the gym.

4. I'm with you when it comes to the freshmen QBs pushing Buechele.

5. Isiah Thomas said he has his powers back. L.A. lost. Weird.

6. Sammy Sosa needs his own reality TV show. It's long overdue.

you said Dallas wasn't that strong in 2018, if it is 2019, let's see how Herm does with DFW in 19 before concluding he doesn't get benefit of the doubt in DFW. Seems to me, Herman focuses recruiting based on where the talent is as opposed to geography for the sake of geography -
Everyone is welcome to different views, but I'm really doing my best to limit benefits of the doubt until earned these days.

I feel you, but I'm not willing to close my eyes and assume anything.

Reactions: Clarence50
1. In 2018, Dallas is greater than Houston. Debate solved? All jokes aside, the good thing is Texas didn't lose anybody from last year's coaching staff, which means it doesn't have to spend the offseason reestablishing relationships with players.

2. I think the mentioning of Chang was an effort to lesson the hype surrounding Carrington. Probably trying to bring balance to the conversation.

3. I don't understand why Texas doesn't have a 6-4 guard who can shoot the lights out the gym.

Interesting that he didn't take time to rave about guys like Washington and Naivar, both of whom were named Rivals Top 25 Recruiters.

Hell, a 6-0 shooter would do.

I wouldn't be ale to turn away from a Sosa reality show.

Reactions: edmondhorn2
Interesting that he didn't take time to rave about guys like Washington and Naivar, both of whom were named Rivals Top 25 Recruiters.

Hell, a 6-0 shooter would do.

I wouldn't be ale to turn away from a Sosa reality show.
Good point about Washington.

Let’s see how Tom likes to continue to lose with Beck?
Part of me wonders if Herman wants to keep Beck as a scapegoat in case the offense craps the bed again, which, let's face, could easily happen with a not-much-upgraded-offensive-line and still no established QB.

I think our odds of starting another true frosh QB at some point this year are greater than 75% and with the loss of Connor Williams our O-Line could be just as dicey as 2017.

Part of me wonders if Herman wants to keep Beck as a scapegoat in case the offense craps the bed again, which, let's face, could easily happen with a not-much-upgraded-offensive-line and still no established QB.

I think our odds of starting another true frosh QB at some point this year are greater than 75% and with the loss of Connor Williams our O-Line could be just as dicey as 2017.
I don't believe Beck was the issue. He believes injuries and poor personnel were the offensive issues.

Depth alone will make the OL much better. Especially with Anderson at left tackle. I think we can find 5 good players, and then pray Anderson doesn't get hurt.

You have to take old coaching comments with a grain of salt. DKR said "Only 3 things can happen when you pass, and two of them are bad." How feasible is that strategy today?

It's been well over 3 decades since Switzer and Royal were recruiting. College football, demographics, and recruiting strategies have all changed since then. It would be extremely short-sighted these days for Herman to go back to recruiting one local area or even one state.
Yea, not suggesting an isolated approach. Just an anecdote from a slimball cheater who always did well stealing recruits from Texas. But everyone probably agrees that not just last year but most years, Houston is a goldmine of recruits.

#3- or have a simblance of an offensive scheme other than standing around until the clock runs down. Blows my mind and experts like Bilas agree.

ADVERTISEMENT