ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (It's time for Tom Herman to be elite...)

It doesn't help that they reveal run/pass based on the running back depth in the backfield. A smart opposing defender can identify run/pass on almost every play based on running back depth. If Ingram/Johnson are lined up with next to Sam (within a yard), you can expect a play-action fake and a pass. If he lines up deeper than that, it's a run.

Almost every time.
So, next question - if you see this, and obviously other teams see this - why do we continue to do this???

Maybe your best top ten list yet...and spot on about CTH! Are you elite or aren’t you?!? Only he can answer that question...because all he got Saturday was peter slapped by a better X’s and O’s coach the entire second half!

Honestly, who is elite?

So now Saban's not elite either? Riley isn't elite? Urban Meyer isn't / never was elite? Bear Bryant wasn't elite either, right? Knute Rockne? Tom Osborne? Bud Wilkinson? Woody Hayes? Bobby Bowden? Darrell Royal?

Bill Belichick now isn't elite? Vince Lombardi, Don Shula, Bill Walsh, Joe Gibbs, Tom Landry, Chuck Noll, Bill Parcells?

There have always been elite football coaches. There's guys not on that list that may be elite as well.

Not even close to his highest priority. They literally just extended him.

Question had NOTHING to do with highest priorities. In 22 months an AD's done a BUTTLOAD of things not remotely near highest priorities.

Certain things you do despite the percentage likelihood of needing to do them today. You prepare for the eventualities. That's smart in EVERY field, not just being an AD.

The extension was a MISTAKE at that time, CDC's only clear misstep to date, IMO. Hardly an argument for NOT preparing for eventualities.

IMOs.

On most occasions, a perfectly average train conductor will get the job done, but on occasions when the train is out of control and danger reaches its zenith, the Sully Sullenberger of train conductors is needed because the moment at hand doesn't demand excuses. Instead, it requires elite decision-making and instincts.​

Thomas was cross....

giphy.gif

Reactions: Ketchum
So, next question - if you see this, and obviously other teams see this - why do we continue to do this???
I dunno. I've been talking about it for multiple seasons. Seriously, pay attention to it against Kansas State.

Reactions: PaulieD
Question had NOTHING to do with highest priorities. In 22 months an AD's done a BUTTLOAD of things not remotely near highest priorities.

Certain things you do despite the percentage likelihood of needing to do them today. You prepare for the eventualities. That's smart in EVERY field, not just being an AD.

The extension was a MISTAKE at that time, CDC's only clear misstep to date, IMO. Hardly an argument for NOT preparing for eventualities.

IMOs.
I'm just telling you that from my perspective, I'd be surprised if he's beyond step one in any change preparations.

I think it's a myth that ADs keep a list of five names handy at all times.

Reactions: Dualthreat
@Ketchum AWESOME Star Wars list. It is hard to argue with any of those but I would have to find a spot for the first time we see Yoda fight. You didnt know what to expect, but you knew as he walked into the room that Yoda was about to kick some major ass.

Reactions: texasfight11
I'm just telling you that from my perspective, I'd be surprised if he's beyond step one in any change preparations.

People have really missed some early signals from CDC.

I guess I've always been a planner / preparer. And enjoy the benefits of having been so. Maybe it would just be me that had made preparations. JMOs. Thanks for your responses. :)

Last edited:
Many great points in here. Our expectations for TH were way too high. My first thoughts on the guy is that he is very immature for his age and he is very arrogant. These traits are why he cant admit mistakes, be it to the medai, or the public generally. Everything from game decisions, to player decisions and especially to the coaches he picked. We shall see how this effects his future very soon. He either upgrades his staff, or he never has an elite program.

That said, I felt TH did mature some last year. He was less defensive, admitted he was being an unecessary dick to the players and made communication improvements internally to where criticism was possible from the bottom up. So hopefully he continues to grow as a head coach. He has move very fast in the past few years, and it shows in his insecurity of where he is. He can still grow into his current position, and he may not. No one knows but him.

Only nitipick with your post is the injury excuse. Sam, healthy, OL, healthy. DL, healthy. Those were the thin parts of the team we couldnt lose anyone. WR and especially DB, lots of bodies. Cook Jamison, etc are sophs, and were top talents in the nation. They damn sure should be ready to play. They would have been starters in most teams in our conference. They just have weak coaching.

You're talking about Coach Washington being a weak coach, but you'd be hard pressed to find anybody on this site trashing him before this year.

Jamison was on offense last year. Montrell Estelle and Tyler Owens weren't expected to see the field much, if any this year, and they played nearly the entire TCU game.

We've been bad and Washington, Naivar, and Co. deserve much of the blame, but let's not act like we're aren't on the third depth chart option all over the secondary for the past three games.

@Ketchum AWESOME Star Wars list. It is hard to argue with any of those but I would have to find a spot for the first time we see Yoda fight. You didnt know what to expect, but you knew as he walked into the room that Yoda was about to kick some major ass.

I definitely considered it. It was tough to leave out a number of scenes. I had 20 written down last night.

Reactions: 65HornInTacoma
I guess I've always been a planner / preparer. And enjoy the benefits of having been so. Maybe it would just be me that had made preparations. JMOs. Thanks for your responses. :)
I could easily be wrong, but this is seriously a surprise for everyone in the various buildings.

You're talking about Coach Washington being a weak coach, but you'd be hard pressed to find anybody on this site trashing him before this year.

Jamison was on offense last year. Montrell Estelle and Tyler Owens weren't expected to see the field much, if any this year, and they played nearly the entire TCU game.

We've been bad and Washington, Naivar, and Co. deserve much of the blame, but let's not act like we're aren't on the third depth chart option all over the secondary for the past three games.
Washington has been sensational for four years running before this year. He gets a get out of jail card from me.

Agreed, especially considering that any of those five names can have situations that change over time. Hiring a new coach is a contextual issue and whether to fire and hire is ruled by so many factors that it is nearly impossible to do in a vacuum. The extension makes it a non-starter right now. The first step is overhauling the staff under Tom and he can choose to do that or he can be "encouraged" to by the AD. In any case Tom's only leverage right now is the length of his contract.

Agreed, especially considering that any of those five names can have situations that change over time. Hiring a new coach is a contextual issue and whether to fire and hire is ruled by so many factors that it is nearly impossible to do in a vacuum. The extension makes it a non-starter right now. The first step is overhauling the staff under Tom and he can choose to do that or he can be "encouraged" to by the AD. In any case Tom's only leverage right now is the length of his contract.
The BOR wouldn't even consider eating that many years and that many dollars for a millisecond.

It's a non-starter based on every conversation I've ever had with anyone that matters.

Washington has been sensational for four years running before this year. He gets a get out of jail card from me.

Agree and also love his and Naivar's recruiting ability. That's not easy to replace.

Orlando, on the other hand, may just have to be the "escape goat" before the end of the season. He doesn't seem to be as heavily involved on the recruiting trail, either, vs. Beck on the other side of the ball.

Herman has had a few of these types of games in his career as a head coach, even at Houston.

Herman has had several inexplicable losses in his career. The difference this time is bad play isnt the exception, its become the rule and getting worse weekly since the Rice game.

@Ketchum
Regarding No. 5 - Five Players I'm Still Thinking About 24 Hours Later ...

Brennan Eagles: The drop off from John Burt to Eagles is massive and not having Eagles available meant TCU was able to minimize match-up problems and focus on the pair of Duvernay and Collin Johnson. That is costliest missed practice that I can remember in the Texas football program in a long, long time.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but Eagles WAS available. The staff chose not to play him because of his personal leave from a practice.

Only nitipick with your post is the injury excuse. Sam, healthy, OL, healthy. DL, healthy. Those were the thin parts of the team we couldnt lose anyone. WR and especially DB, lots of bodies. Cook Jamison, etc are sophs, and were top talents in the nation. They damn sure should be ready to play. They would have been starters in most teams in our conference. They just have weak coaching.
That's fair.

This was the exact scene I thought of as a possible inclusion on Ketch's list but honestly, I couldn't think of a single scene that it deserved to replace. I vote this season as number 11.

Reactions: 65HornInTacoma
This was the exact scene I thought of as a possible inclusion on Ketch's list but honestly, I couldn't think of a single scene that it deserved to replace. I vote this season as number 11.

I think you replace the cantina scene. You already have Han shot first that is part of the cantina scene, which is must for the list.

Reactions: txfight
bingo. I'm reminded of the time after year one when multiple sites were reporting Beck was going to get bounced and when we reported that wasn't the plan, folks shot and didn't believe the messenger.
I get what you and the poster are saying, and I believe, based on the way CDC comports himself, the way you described the situation happening is probably how it will go down.

However, another way to look at it is this: even a "diplomatic" approach by CDC about the existing staff, and any concerns he may voice about the situation, can be viewed as, on some level, a demand for change. This is why I ask the question. Usually, it takes a seminal moment for change to occur when an existing coach has been steadfastly supportive of his staff, and I am curious if these past two weeks might be that moment.

The scariest stat I have heard: opposing offenses have succeeded 52% of the time against our D on 3rd and 10+.

ADVERTISEMENT