Ketch's 10 Thoughts From The Weekend (Jonah Williams.... the most important 5 star?)

I will always remember that game. On Pozderak’s 4 holding call the ref literally said Pozder and corrected himself instead of calling out his number. At least that’s what I thought happened after all these years.
I hated him for a long time.

Reactions: bmoney35
Great read, Thanks,
Will Ferrell Old School Movie GIF

• Love
Reactions: Ketchum
Both of the quarterback injuries were after the season, right? Just trying to remember correctly.
Not after the season. McGrath started against OU and was injured immediately. Aunt was second string and went in and was injured a few players later. That left us only McEachern who at the previous year’s OU game worked in our broadcasting booth helping the announcers correctly identify our players. The starting two QBs were lost for the season., The team buckled up, gave McEachern a big hug when he trotted into the huddle and kicked OU’s ass at the line of scrimmage and Earl punished them. We hadn’t beat OU in the last six straight games. It was one of our biggest wins ever over OU and broke their win streak with their douche bag couch Switzer

Reactions: longhornlm
Not after the season. McGrath started against OU and was injured immediately. Aunt was second string and went in and was injured a few players later. That left us only McEachern who at the previous year’s OU game worked in our broadcasting booth helping the announcers correctly identify our players. The starting two QBs were lost for the season., The team buckled up, gave McEachern a big hug when he trotted into the huddle and kicked OU’s ass at the line of scrimmage and Earl punished them. We hadn’t beat OU in the last six straight games. It was one of our biggest wins ever over OU and broke their win streak with their douche bag couch Switzer
I meant after the season started. Duh.

I was there as and it was glorious! (Aune spellcheck to Aunt above but we know who you mean)

Reactions: Ketchum
I was there as well. Russell Erxlaben made field goals of 54 and 63 yards and he missed one from 69. Late in the game, the Texas defense stopped OU on 4th and 1 from the six yard line. Minutes later, Erxlaben bombed a 69 yard punt from deep in Texas territory to seal the game. We drove back to Austin and went to the drag that night. The celebration there was insane. Good times indeed.

@Ketchum was listening to Josh Pate last evening, he was extolling the virtues of the Texas NIL machine being one that pays and on time. He mentioned a lot of schools recruiting well won’t be able to fulfill their promises and it will come back to bite them…

@Ketchum was listening to Josh Pate last evening, he was extolling the virtues of the Texas NIL machine being one that pays and on time. He mentioned a lot of schools recruiting well won’t be able to fulfill their promises and it will come back to bite them…

The Office Yes GIF

With the First Overall Pick in the 2025 NFL Draft, the Dallas Cowboys select...Quinn Ewers, Quarterback, Texas.

• Haha
Reactions: DrinkToIt
I wonder if there's a correlation here, i.e., guys who suffer season-ending injuries are probably much more likely (especially in the past) to basically lose a shot at a high-caliber career. So yeah - season ending injuries tend to happen to players who we then forget about because most of them don't end up getting a legit shot in college again.

I always say this: if you're offered a bet "will this coach win a national championship", with extremely few exceptions, the betting answer should always be no. Even if that coach has already won one in the past, it is MUCH more likely for that coach to fall off than it is for that coach to maintain that standard.

I think the only coach right now that I would not bet against is Kirby Smart, and that is because he has the preseason #1 team this year, he's already won 2 in the last 3 years (and finished top 5 last year), and he's young. But even then it's probably much closer to a 50/50 than people think, especially with the expanded playoff format. Not only do you need to have the best team in the country, but you need to avoid 4 upsets in what might be a bunch of 50/50 to 60/40 matchups if you make the playoffs.

For a coach that hasn't won one (or even the guys who won one somewhere else like Brian Kelly)? Immediately betting against all of them. Sark, Ryan Day, Lincoln Riley, Brian Kelly, James Franklin, Dan Lanning, Kalen DeBoer, Lane Kiffin, Mike Norvell, Dabo, Josh Heupel, Skeletor up in Norman, Mario Cristobal, Elko - like, most of the next 5 national championships will likely come out of this group, but if you're betting on any one of these guys being the guys that gets it, your odds are probably way lower than 50%.

And I think it's not all about how good a coach you are. Or to put it differently, you have two tiers of coaches:
  • The ones that are so good at building a complete roster top to bottom chock full of production - and these are the guys that are much more likely to win because they don't need any one player to be a superstar
    • Harbaugh, Saban, Meyer. These are the guys that will win you a title with Chris Leak, AJ McCarron and JJ McCarthy.
  • The ones that need a superstar - including the ones that didn't deserve a title but hit it big enough with a big enough superstar (see: Jimbo, Chizik)
Brian Kelly has not won a MNC unless you’re counting Div II

I was there as well. Russell Erxlaben made field goals of 54 and 63 yards and he missed one from 69. Late in the game, the Texas defense stopped OU on 4th and 1 from the six yard line. Minutes later, Erxlaben bombed a 69 yard punt from deep in Texas territory to seal the game. We drove back to Austin and went to the drag that night. The celebration there was insane. Good times indeed.
Yes, I remember that well. I was in the band and sitting on the 10 yard line where the stop was made. When Erxlaben hit that howitzer of a punt, we went nuts.

Not sure if this was mentioned in the Otis thread, but this is true.

Otis recorded “Sittin’ on the Dock of the Bay” and died a few weeks later in the plane crash. The song had not yet been released, so he was dead before he ever would know that it would be his most popular song ever.

Tragic.
That’s similar to the Selena story, as her top selling album was released after she was murdered. Very sad.