ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From The Weekend (Kudos to PK, but what about 2023?)

Part of the discussion could be "What is a war movie?" Should there be a sub-genre called "battlefield movies"? Or a sub-sub genre for submarine movies? (Das Boot is an exceptional work). Or battleship movies as opposed to battlefield movies? I consider Inglorious Bastards to be a war movie though not a battlefield movie, and I'd have From Here to Eternity on my list, along with They Were Expendable, a fictional quasi-documentary/bio pic. And even though it's technically post-war/aftereffects of war, I don't consider the genre complete without The Best Years of Our Lives, which is--without argument in both my opinion and that of AFI--not just one of the best war-era, war-related movies, but one of the best movies ever made. I'd put Schindler's List alongside Best Years in quality and significance though both are less war movies than wartime movies.

And then there's Good Morning, Vietnam. I love it.

The best thing about your list, Ketch, is that it's thought/discussion provoking.
Two votes for The Best Years of Our Lives, which is about trying to adjust to post war life, and They Were Expendable, but its hard to limit any list to just ten.

Reactions: wytxny and Ketchum
Well that would break my trust if I was his coach. I liken it to one of my reps who is good but still needs to grow who I invest my time in to help and then he goes and looks for another job. Then I match and talk him into staying but my trust is damaged as is the relationship.
this is kind of where we are to some degree.

a. His hands are good. He's just slumping to a degree.

b. I don't think anyone is suggesting there's no way he comes back. He absolutely could. He loves Sark. I'm just not sure he is.
I think the same could be said for that passing attack as a whole. It’s in an overall slump, and of course a lot of that weight is carried by the general of the offense. That said, the drops issue has to improve or he will not reach that first round ceiling he appears destined to make. Anyhow, I like our chances of keeping him. Obviously USC is a threat but I think sark wins out.

I think the same could be said for that passing attack as a whole. It’s in an overall slump, and of course a lot of that weight is carried by the general of the offense. That said, the drops issue has to improve or he will not reach that first round ceiling he appears destined to make. Anyhow, I like our chances of keeping him. Obviously USC is a threat but I think sark wins out.
Who knows... you might be right.

Reactions: Shonee_Jackson31
Do you remember how that season ended?
@ketch I was actually at Kyle field when they threw the ball 9 times and still curb stomped A&M cuz said Ced ran for 270. Point is, you can still drafted really high even with less than stellar QB play.

@ketch I was actually at Kyle field when they threw the ball 9 times and still curb stomped A&M cuz said Ced ran for 270. Point is, you can still drafted really high even with less than stellar QB play.

I mean... yeah... it can happen. It helps in 2022 to have a 100 catches.

It was, and everything feels a year behind because lf it. This is the year we were supposed to have last year. Last year was just a waste.

Look, 100% of the programs in FBS would've taken Ewers as a transfer. Sark did a great job getting him to Texas, but also hitched his wagon to him.

I dont blame the strategy at all. If Ewers is a miss, that's beyond disappointing. But it's easy to say in hindsight he should've stuck with Card, Thompson, or a different veteran. The reality is if Ewers comes you go all in, and hope you have a lot of chips on the table when the game is over. That's what everyone would've done, even if the river can bust ya.
Exactly.

a. His hands are good. He's just slumping to a degree.

b. I don't think anyone is suggesting there's no way he comes back. He absolutely could. He loves Sark. I'm just not sure he is.
So what causes the slump for him to drop balls that hit him right in the hands?

Well, Ketch, I just added up all the points scored against us this year (209) divided by 11 equals 19.

Sat, Sep 3vs
LA Monroe
W52 - 10
Sat, Sep 10vs(7) AlabamaL20 - 19
Sat, Sep 17vs
UTSA
W41 - 20
Sat, Sep 24@
Texas Tech
L37 - 34
Sat, Oct 1vs
West Virginia
W38 - 20
Sat, Oct 8@OklahomaW49 - 0
Sat, Oct 15vsIowa St.W24 - 21
Sat, Oct 22@
Oklahoma St.
L41 - 34
Bye Week
Sat, Nov 5@
(12) Kansas St.
W34 - 27
Sat, Nov 12vs
(4) TCU
L17 - 10
Sat, Nov 19@
Kansas
W55 - 14

There's a lot of work for this staff, which has had a great last 12 months, to do in the next 10 months.
The biggest notice about PK is that he has managed to improve from year 1 to year 2, where huge regressions happened to the other DCs in previous coaching regimes. Props to PK, he has put the team in a position to win just about every game.
p.s. - Hudson Card's 158.1 season efficiency would currently rank second in the Big 12 by 11.1 points if he had enough pass attempts to qualify.
Still don't understand why stick with Quinn through the Ls and offensive drags of TCU and even OK St. If there is already a for-sure QB battle in the spring, no reason why the leash is so long, especially moving forward. A change for a possession or even the rest of a game doesn't necessarily mean abandoning Quinn long-term, it's simply a call to the bullpen to try and get some momentum. That starter still starts 5 days later.

Well, Ketch, I just added up all the points scored against us this year (209) divided by 11 equals 19.

Sat, Sep 3vs
LA Monroe
W52 - 10
Sat, Sep 10vs(7) AlabamaL20 - 19
Sat, Sep 17vs
UTSA
W41 - 20
Sat, Sep 24@
Texas Tech
L37 - 34
Sat, Oct 1vs
West Virginia
W38 - 20
Sat, Oct 8@OklahomaW49 - 0
Sat, Oct 15vsIowa St.W24 - 21
Sat, Oct 22@
Oklahoma St.
L41 - 34
Bye Week
Sat, Nov 5@
(12) Kansas St.
W34 - 27
Sat, Nov 12vs
(4) TCU
L17 - 10
Sat, Nov 19@
Kansas
W55 - 14

@bigdog1024 Texas has allowed 227 point this season in 11 games.

The biggest notice about PK is that he has managed to improve from year 1 to year 2, where huge regressions happened to the other DCs in previous coaching regimes. Props to PK, he has put the team in a position to win just about every game.

Still don't understand why stick with Quinn through the Ls and offensive drags of TCU and even OK St. If there is already a for-sure QB battle in the spring, no reason why the leash is so long, especially moving forward. A change for a possession or even the rest of a game doesn't necessarily mean abandoning Quinn long-term, it's simply a call to the bullpen to try and get some momentum. That starter still starts 5 days later.

Quinn is HIS guy.

ADVERTISEMENT