ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (Let's have an honest talk about where things stand...)

"(Sell) I think he just played that last offensive series by the book instead of leaning on what his offense had actually been able to do well in Ames."
@Ketchum. As a former analyst in marketing, think CTH is relying on too many hired analysts and has got lazy coaching in game situations when the data changes. I wouldn't be surprised if opposing coaches see this and throw in some simple wrinkles.
I just think Tom struggles outside of his preconceived comfort zone, which makes making on the fly adjustments and changes really hard.

CLEARLY limiting a Strait list to 10 is real f'n hard, but IMO, a VASTLY underrated favorite of mine is "If You're Thinking You Want a Stranger" from his debut album.
I don't remember that song.

1,000-percent agree.

I'll disagree with this to an extent. Texas was fully prepared to pay Saban as much as it needed to and it stepped to pay Orlando his money (when he was highly regarded) to keep continuity in the staff.

I'll disagree with this to an extent. Texas was fully prepared to pay Saban as much as it needed to and it stepped to pay Orlando his money (when he was highly regarded) to keep continuity in the staff.
That is not true.

@Ketchum We talk a lot about how things are "different" at Texas: Higher expectations, other schools always circle the calendar when they play us, etc. Do other blue blood programs not have to deal with that? Or are we so close to our program that we think our hurdles are unique?

Is winning "harder" at Texas than other top tier programs?
Texas has made it harder than other top tier programs have made it to be.

Reactions: RLong68
That is not true.
The Saban part isn't true? Every back story I've heard on that situation said a deal was in place for Saban to come here but Mack's reluctance to leave without a fight caused too much pause.

Sam with a qb rating of “only” 150.
Deshaun Watson won a title and is a Clemson legend. QB rating of 151 that season.
Sometimes, QBs need help. Scheme and talented teammates matter.
You can have a quarterback with a 151 rating if the surrounding parts are all elite.

The Saban part isn't true? Every back story I've heard on that situation said a deal was in place for Saban to come here but Mack's reluctance to leave without a fight caused too much pause.
No deal was ever completely close and Texas was never going to go up to 8 million to get him.

If there was a path to close the deal that kept Texas from breaking the marketplace for the hire, they'd have been interested.

They never got as far as you are thinking they did.

You can't be an elite QB with inconsistent accuracy. It's been Sam's biggest problem since he first took the reins 2 years ago. FEW people wanted to acknowledge it and the few who did would get shouted down by the torch and pitchfork crowd. But he's just not an accurate QB and frankly it's hard to see him really becoming one. It will be the one thing that really holds him back.

Ketch is right that fans over-estimated Ehlinger. He came into a program without an established QB, and postured well for the role. Desperate for an elite QB, too many of his fans extrapolated Ehlinger's face-of-the-program into assumptions that he was indeed a great player. The reality is that he's probably no more athletically gifted than most other Big 12 QBs, and not as gifted as a few.

Sam's not a great QB, but he can win a lot more games if the staff will find more effective ways to work around his limitations. Pass protection is a huge key. When we have it, our offense seems to click. When we don't, we're toast.

Ketch is right that fans over-estimated Ehlinger. He came into a program without an established QB, and postured well for the role. Desperate for an elite QB, too many of his fans extrapolated Ehlinger's face-of-the-program into assumptions that he was indeed a great player. The reality is that he's probably no more athletically gifted than most other Big 12 QBs, and not as gifted as a few.

Sam's not a great QB, but he can win a lot more games if the staff will find more effective ways to work around his limitations. Pass protection is a huge key. When we have it, our offense seems to click. When we don't, we're toast.
The line play isn't poised to improve much next year.

Herman is supposed to be a Big 12 type of OC.

I would contend his needing to hire an OC is the biggest reason why you'd have to label his hire as a mistake.

HE'S SUPPOSED TO BE THE ELITE OC!
A-FREAKING-MEN

No deal was ever completely close and Texas was never going to go up to 8 million to get him.

If there was a path to close the deal that kept Texas from breaking the marketplace for the hire, they'd have been interested.

They never got as far as you are thinking they did.

Well this makes me want to throw up!

Herman is supposed to be a Big 12 type of OC.

I would contend his needing to hire an OC is the biggest reason why you'd have to label his hire as a mistake.

HE'S SUPPOSED TO BE THE ELITE OC!
Exactly, what makes him special if it's not his offensive prowess. He's a JAG

That’s true for most QB’s.

I just think Tom struggles outside of his preconceived comfort zone, which makes making on the fly adjustments and changes really hard.

That's a not a good sign for someone trying to run a McDonalds, much less an enterprise like a major football program.

Maybe one day we can hire a coach who doesn't still require training wheels after year 3.

Reactions: Panhandle Horn
(Sell) I think he just played that last offensive series by the book instead of leaning on what his offense had actually been able to do well in Ames. One of the real frustrating aspects of Herman's coaching is that he seems stuck in-between being a new-age coach or an old-school coach with his decision-making and game-management.
So erratic...willing to go for it 4th and goal from the 7 but not willing to take proportionate risk to keep possession and get the DUB? The defense actually got you the ball back with a lead and 4 minutes to play...schizophrenic football.

Reactions: Kanut
ADVERTISEMENT