ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (Let's just talk about it 2.0...)

I don’t believe anyone feels like you should feel guilt. I think it’s more of a matter of understanding and having a little bit of empathy for the way others feel about the situation.
You mentioned if the players knew the extent of the University’s inner city support it might go along way to easing that particular concern. Do you think the players feelings about the song are based on full knowledge of it’s background or is it possible their feelings are based on incomplete information? Would a full explanation of the tenuousness of the connection to Lee and a definitive answer to whether or not the song predated the minstrel show possibly help?

04 arkansas was so sweet....F those losers, we almost got into so many fights that night just for wearing orange.

Reactions: MEP1992
I'll give you full credit for a well written argument for eliminating, or minimizing the "eyes". I still don't agree.

It is bad strategy on the part of the athletes. Their other issues are far more important and have much wider support. These are issues that have been fought for a long time and are for the first time very achievable.

All of you can continue to try to change the future by attempting the impossible task of changing the past. And, trying to change it by rewriting it is just as futile! Like it or not what's done is done! You are wasting your time and fooling yourselves. All of this whining, wailing, and gnashing of teeth is a lot of psychobabble. Use your energy and effort to learn from the past, however checkered it may be, and move forward in a better direction. That would benefit us all.

They have been upset in the past. This is not a new development. Guys like Sam Acho have gone in the record about it.
Yeah some dipshit prof decided that it’s origins helped a narrative so he pushed the issue. So before that point it was just an old song that tied the university together in some small way. Now it problematic and likely will be scrapped. No real change except people are further apart.
I hope these same people embrace a 100% purity test in all things in their life.

You mentioned if the players knew the extent of the University’s inner city support it might go along way to easing that particular concern. Do you think the players feelings about the song are based on full knowledge of it’s background or is it possible their feelings are based on incomplete information? Would a full explanation of the tenuousness of the connection to Lee and a definitive answer to whether or not the song predated the minstrel show possibly help?

Imagine if VY had called Uber.

Wasn't that a specific job of his as far as inner city relations?

Reactions: NativeTex
Everybody needs to get over it.

I marched for civil rights in the 60s. Racism is not about black and white. It’s about the human condition. Sometimes it’s skin color, sometimes it’s something else, nationality, tribe, language, etc. it is right to deplore slavery wherever it exists, but members of all races have been enslaved at some point throughout history. Don’t accept that for our future, fight it as best you can. And don’t let it affect the way you feel about your neighbors and community.

I didn’t really understand much about minstrel shows before this week either. I was listening to comedian Ron Funches talk about wrestling on a wrestling show (he’s a big fan) and he mentioned R-Truth, saying he’s been around a really long time and is loved by all and especially McMahon for doing this character, that’s largely based on a minstrel show black character that operates as a bumbling, stumbling, slow witted guy that kind of stumbles through life as everyone laughs at him. I really hadn’t ever thought of or known anything about that. I have to admit to always loving the guy, but in my mind it had nothing to do with him being black, it was him being funny and self deprecating and a man of the people. I always want to see him win. Just something I looked at from a different angle this week.

It's that the very thing that we've found so romantic about this thing that we love beyond the ability to reason is suddenly being positioned as being toxic by something that happened before anyone alive was even born. All we've ever known is amazing associations with the idea of Santa and now everything that we've ever sworn to love is being questioned to the core.

Bullshit. The association between racism and the eyes is so minimal and absurd that the comparison is ridiculous.

ADVERTISEMENT