ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (Let's just talk about it 2.0...)

Does the dislike of singing this song by players really have more to do with what the song represents? As in the song represents the State of Texas, the largest conservative state in the country, all the history of this state for good and bad, etc.
I find that more believable than the story of a minstrel show from over 100 years ago that none of us ever saw.

Reactions: Reaper1
The people who say they have no racist inclinations often couldn't see the inclinations if it was right in their face.

As to some that may apply, but it certainly does not apply to all. I have spent a great deal of my pro bono time and money in attempts to eliminate racism, sexism and other forms of blights on our society. Trying to characterize "The Eyes" as racist in 2020 is a far reach, one that takes away emphasis on other far more important issues.

Reactions: MEP1992 and Reaper1
He didn't win Texas.
That revisionist history?

He won Texas by 9%

53.2% to 42.2%

You need a nap or something?

Go ahead and your liberal progressivism Ketch. We all know.

Was that your effort at changing/ erasing history?

ketch, cmon man. You’re effectively saying many white folks are too stupid to even know they’re racist. That’s a bit over the line.

The simple fact is that the lyrics of the song have nothing to do with race. You can admit that and still support the fact that blacks may feel racial undertones because of the song’s origin in the minstrel show.
"A BIT" over the line?

Actually it's a racist comment.

Reactions: Cure4BizCancer
The people who say they have no racist inclinations often couldn't see the inclinations if it was right in their face.

So NOW it's not enough that The Eyes of Texas IS NOT RACIST.

And NOW it's not enough that we Texas fans ARE NOT RACIST.

Now we have to some how convince YOU / ATHLETES that not only are we not racist, but we can recognize our own unrecognized racism.

According to YOUR belief system that it's right in OUR faces?

tenor.gif

How much more discussion or debate about this GD song are we going to have? If we are looking to come together as a community, I can’t think of another thing that gets 100+K people standing in unison than singing that song. But now because some body says it’s origin is based in black face and minstrels or whatever we are supposed to abandon it? What you are missing is the fact that all this nonsense is only further driving a wedge between people. Now you are going to have people standing or not standing for the ****ing school song. Are you kidding me? If you go to any school below the Mason Dixon, especially in the SEC, you can find the same kind of BS. Do you see players from Bama or Auburn or LSU pulling this stuff? If not supporting racist history was so important to these athletes, then they would never attend a school in the south ever again and the SEC would implode.
Exactly. The left is all about dividing us not unifying us.

You’re effectively saying many white folks are too stupid to even know they’re racist. That’s a bit over the line.

The simple fact is that the lyrics of the song have nothing to do with race. You can admit that

Doesn't appear he can admit either one of these facts.

I'm astonished. I mean it.

Not playing The Eyes after a game is a complete nonstarter.

Full stop.
You realize we’re damned if we do and damned if we do. These players have killed support for Texas football for years to come. It can never be the unifying force it once was. It’s 1984 and leftist politics has killed football.

You realize we’re damned if we do and damned if we do. These players have killed support for Texas football for years to come. It can never be the unifying force it once was. It’s 1984 and leftist politics has killed football.
Damned if we don’t

Agree. And I have a beloved family member who falls into that category.

Most do, regardless of race. Racism is an unfortunate part of the human condition, and it has many more facets than just black vs white in our new country. It’s tribal in its origins, and so is slavery. People of all races have been enslaved throughout history. Sad, but you can’t change history, only the future.

It's not going away. I'll be singing it after each game, win or lose, as I have for 6 decades, since I was a child.

Essentially my entire family is alums (and more) of The University of Texas. None are racist.

Most of us have sang the song in ignorance of its history. However the song is definitely tainted now since this “new” information has come out about its origins. Taking a look at the facts, and please tell me if I have them wrong, the president of the university took a quote from a man who is widely known as racist, changed it along with a few students and thought it was a good idea to repeatedly perform it was during blackface shows, which are inherently racist. The song was literally birthed out of a racist performance. The tradition of this racist performance carried the song until it grew out of the original racist context and into the hearts and minds of fans and alumni like us. Now I'm not going to go as far as calling you a racist and you have every right to sing what you want.....However, I think you could at least understand why people (black athletes in particular) would find the song problematic.

Texas has not won one football game because fans stay after the game to sing. It requires players. The song is going to go. Just get over it.

Because wins are everything. Can’t have a good college education without sports wins. Can’t have a good life without sports wins. Sheesh.

Last edited:
Do you realise that I have never even seen a minstrel show? I was born in 1977.

Again, you are taking the stance, on this issue, that culture and people cannot evolve over time. On other issues, you rightly point out that those things can and do evolve. The meaning of this song has been unrelated to race for something like 8 decades before I was born.

Now you are telling me the song as racial undertones, that the meaning of the song is something other than pride and love for UT. But that's not what the song means to me. It's not what the meaning has been for over 100 years.

What matters more: that the song's current day meaning (for over 100 years) is something pure, and positive, and inclusive. Or that 117 years ago that might not have been the case?

Just a quick question, if culture and people can evolve over time, then why can't a song be changed again? Isn't starting a new tradition evolution? The important fact is that what the song means/represents to you may not be what the song means/represents to other people. You mention it is something pure, positive and inclusive but it has not been viewed as that for all people. Also, the song has been protested and argued against as recently as 2018, which is not 117 years ago. Now the money question is what should be done? I'm not particularly attached to the school song in anyway but I respect people like you who are and value your views. In my opinion, it almost seems as though people who share your thoughts view the song as a huge part of their life and if you remove/change it, part of their life is being attacked. From that angle, I can see why people are so passionate of keeping the song. On the other hand, even if you disagree, I hope you can at least understand if someone feels as though that song was born in a racist performance and some of that racist degradation is still taking place, how it could potentially affect them differently.

I guarantee you from first hand experience that UT student govt debating sonething certainly does not elevate it. They debate alot of silly things, that I can assure you.

Maybe so, but the fact remains the discussion was had then just as it is being discussed now because of student and faculty criticisms. Whether it is silly, racist or something in between is what we are all trying to figure out.

It’s going to be a disaster that will fracture the fanbase.

It already has, no matter what happens from this point on.

ADVERTISEMENT