ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From The Weekend (Let's just talk about it all... again)

Didn't we have 2 possession in the red zone very early in the game and could only mange two field goals? Bama's DL was pretty stout, and we all recall how Nebraska's DL manhandled our OL in Arlington.

My memory could be failing, but I recall that we had problems stopping their rushing attack, as well.

Correct. There's a sense of irony is saying "well if Colt didn't get hurt we blow them out" given Colt got hurt because we couldn't block for sh*t. I mean, at some point that tends to be important in a football game.

Reactions: Moooooo
Correct. There's a sense of irony is saying "well if Colt didn't get hurt we blow them out" given Colt got hurt because we couldn't block for sh*t. I mean, at some point that tends to be important in a football game.
The whole "what-if" centers around what didn't happen, not what did.

The "what if" is if he plays and is able to do what your boy Garrett Gilbert was able to do.... which is have Texas with the ball with a chance to win the game in the final moments.

Take out the Colt injury and replace it with a touchdown on that drive.

Alabama would have been forced to go more away from the run if Colt plays.

Nebraska couldn't Pass OR run a month earlier and we needed a 46 yd FG with no time left to win the game. Are we forgetting that?

The whole "what-if" centers around what didn't happen, not what did.

The "what if" is if he plays and is able to do what your boy Garrett Gilbert was able to do.... which is have Texas with the ball with a chance to win the game in the final moments.

So no instead of a blowout we're talking chance to win with 3 minutes left? I mean, pretty sure I clearly stated us WINNING with Colt was a real possibility.

Nebraska couldn't Pass OR run a month earlier and we needed a 46 yd FG with no time left to win the game. Are we forgetting that?
Nope.

Texas wasn't very good in 2009.

But, it as primed in that game.

You weren't in the building that night. You don't have a full perspective that really matters on this one from my own perspective.

I don't play the what-if games very much and you'd be hard-pressed to find another game I've ever said this about. Just my feelings on the matter and they will never change.

For weeks, I've listened to Texas fans say that big decisions like the one facing the Texas administration with regards to its football program should never come down to a game or two...

The reason the decisions sometimes seem to hang like this is because the UT Administration cares about winning enough to sell season tickets and keep donations and endowments rolling in. Winning championships and making the playoffs aren't the Administration's standards. As a result, the hesitant UT Administration relies on any available evidence that the current guy is succeeding.

Once again the Longhorn Nation now finds itself in a situation where a coach who's given little indication of transforming the Longhorns into a national elite program still has a high chance of keeping his job thanks to the Administration's lower expectations. The stage looks set for a repeat of 2013, where once again Texas has a chance to hire a proven program builder who could transform the program, but fails to do so because a complacent university Administration doesn't want to leave its comfort zone.

Last edited:
Nope.

Texas wasn't very good in 2009.

But, it as primed in that game.

You weren't in the building that night. You don't have a full perspective that really matters on this one from my own perspective.

I don't play the what-if games very much and you'd be hard-pressed to find another game I've ever said this about. Just my feelings on the matter and they will never change.

I was in Texas stadium in December 2001 as we were prepping to play CU. Sh*t, that place was electric pre-game. People were there watching end of Tennessee/Florida game (which had been moved from September d/t 9/11). Once Florida got beat, the place went nuts because all of sudden, there was the real possibility that all that stood between us and a matchup with Miami was simply beating a CU team that we had beat down by 5 TDs earlier in the season. Of course, TN still had to play the SEC title game the next week before anything was firmly decided, but that was simply a small detail. Once UF went down, Texas Stadium went nuts because suddenly the stakes went up in the Big 12 title game. Do you remember how that game started out?

I was in Texas stadium in December 2001 as we were prepping to play CU. Sh*t, that place was electric pre-game. People were there watching end of Tennessee/Florida game (which had been moved from September d/t 9/11). Once Florida got beat, the place went nuts because all of sudden, there was the real possibility that all that stood between us and a matchup with Miami was simply beating a CU team that we had beat down by 5 TDs earlier in the season. Of course, TN still had to play the SEC title game the next week before anything was firmly decided, but that was simply a small detail. Once UF went down, Texas Stadium went nuts because suddenly the stakes went up in the Big 12 title game. Do you remember how that game started out?
I was in both places. They aren't comparable IMO.

Right. So that being said, do you think he is the best person to lead 18-22 year olds? I’m surprised more people aren’t discussing this. Wonder if it gives pause to BOR/Hartzell. How many players were arrested under his watch? It’s just funny to me that the athletic department’s slogan right now is “winning with integrity”

The other side of the coin is that it's false advertising to represent to fans and donors that their program is pursuing championships, when the reality is that 2 championships in 23 seasons is not excellence.

The football program has been handicapped for 35 years by poor, hesitant decisions by the UT Administration. With all the resources at our disposal, UT's underperformance cannot be excused by covering it up with a self-righteousness platitude.

I was in both places. They aren't comparable IMO.

Of course you think that. It would be inconvenient if you didn't. I mean, that's why you want to compare it to a regular season home game against Okie Lite. LOL. The likely reality is that if Colt doesn't get hurt that Saban makes adjustments, we struggle to stop their run, and the game ends up being a late Q4 battle. Thinking we blow out 'bama is really based on nothing but emotional confirmation-bias speculation. Sorry, but that's reality.

Our roster has been improving every year. Next year we will have the strongest roster we have had in ten years.
We now have the best coaching staff we have had in many years. The previous three years of recruiting have probably been the best three years since Mack’s best years. At least according to Rivals.
The environment may be so toxic that we have to make a change but we don’t have to demonize Herman to make a change.

LMFAO

Of course you think that. It would be inconvenient if you didn't. I mean, that's why you want to compare it to a regular season home game against Okie Lite. LOL. The likely reality is that if Colt doesn't get hurt that Saban makes adjustments, we struggle to stop their run, and the game ends up being a late Q4 battle. Thinking we blow out 'bama is really based on nothing but emotional confirmation-bias speculation. Sorry, but that's reality.
You weren't there. You don't have any idea what the experience is like. Your opinion on this matter carries less than zero weight with me. Sorry, but that is also the reality.

That being said, I thought it was worth a chuckle for you to throw confirmation bias at ME, of all people, with things related to UT football.

Reactions: Juarez Your Problem
Since when? Please don’t bring up the Mack Brown era either.
otl_a_bryant_400.jpg

You weren't there. You don't have any idea what the experience is like. Your opinion on this matter carries less than zero weight with me. Sorry, but that is also the reality.

That being said, I thought it was worth a chuckle for you to throw confirmation bias at ME, of all people, with things related to UT football.

LOL. Ok. Says the guy who wants to compare the vibe to a regular season game with Okie Lite but not a Big 12 title game with possible national title game stakes. I think my work here is done.

JMO, but a lot of OBers way overbuying that ISU result. Probably, much like the prior inability to consider a Mensa return with a CCG loss, there is a lot of desperation to have this thing done. They will be reading their press clippings then have to come in on a short week for a Friday am game against a very well rested and well prepped Texas team.

"Well prepped Texas team"

Lmfao

LOL. Ok. Says the guy who wants to compare the vibe to a regular season game with Okie Lite but not a Big 12 title game with possible national title game stakes. I think my work here is done.
Says the guy who was in both places and can speak to the buzz/energy in both settings.

Your work is done here, just for reasons you can't wrap your head around.

Greg McElroy disagrees with you.....

Says the guy who was in both places and can speak to the buzz/energy in both settings.

Your work is done here, just for reasons you can't wrap your head around.

To be clear, you compared the the 2H half vibe against Okie Lite in '04 to the national title game but not the '01 CCG?

I've considered a lot of things, including things you aren't...
Fair enough. But at the end of the season CDC will go on record and it will go one of two ways regarding CTH. The problem with doing so now is that there are still 3, maybe 4 games left. He is very much in wait and see mode.

To be clear, you compared the the 2H half vibe against Okie Lite in '04 to the national title game but not the '01 CCG?
Correct.

Also to be clear, I was there in person for all three.

Also to be clear, you weren't, right?

Fair enough. But at the end of the season CDC will go on record and it will go one of two ways regarding CTH. The problem with doing so now is that there are still 3, maybe 4 games left. He is very much in wait and see mode.
The problem is that he's afraid to answer more than a handful of questions that he has really terrible answers for.

a. Texas beats Iowa State and Tom Herman is two wins away from posting the best Texas regular season since 2009 and will have the Longhorns into the Big 12 Championship game for the second time in three seasons, which equals the same number the Texas program had achieved from 2002-2017.

I'm sorry, but this is a very misleading statistic. From 2002-2009, the CCG participants were chosen in a completely different way. If the teams with the 2 best records made the CCG in those seasons (as has been the case during Herman's tenure), Texas would have also made the CCG in 2003, 2004, 2006 and 2008, and might have also made it in 2002 (depending on how a 3-way tie between UT, OU and KSU would have played out if those teams had all played each other, which they didn't).

So that would equate to 6-7 CCG game appearances in 8 years under Mack. From 2011-2016, there wasn't even a CCG in the first place. While Texas admittedly wouldn't have qualified for the CCG even if there had been one, that's the tail end of the Mack Brown era and the entirety of the Strong era, which isn't setting a particularly high bar.

Reactions: cooleyo
I'm sorry, but this is a very misleading statistic. From 2002-2009, the CCG participants were chosen in a completely different way. If the teams with the 2 best records made the CCG in those seasons (as has been the case during Herman's tenure), Texas would have also made the CCG in 2003, 2004, 2006 and 2008, and might have also made it in 2002 (depending on how a 3-way tie between UT, OU and KSU would have played out if those teams had all played each other, which they didn't).

So that would equate to 6-7 CCG game appearances in 8 years under Mack. From 2011-2016, there wasn't even a CCG in the first place. While Texas admittedly wouldn't have qualified for the CCG even if there had been one, that's the tail end of the Mack Brown era and the entirety of the Strong era, which isn't setting a particularly high bar.
It is what it is.

When you have to explain why. stat isn't fair, you're probably supporting something that isn't very successful.

Reactions: LnghrnObsrvtry
ADVERTISEMENT