ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From The Weekend (Let's just talk about it all... again)

I mean... go for it, I guess.

You seem to be ignoring the larger point: would making a second CCG in three years actually mean something, or are we just trying to make it look like it means something? If you have to cite misleading statistics to make that feat appear impactful, then perhaps it actually isn't all that impactful. I have yet to see a meaningful comparison that indicates a second CCG appearance would actually mean something.

Reactions: cooleyo
You seem to be ignoring the larger point: would making a second CCG in three years actually mean something, or are we just trying to make it look like it means something? If you have to cite misleading statistics to make that feat appear impactful, then perhaps it actually isn't all that impactful. I have yet to see a meaningful comparison that indicates a second CCG appearance would actually mean something.
It's not a meaningful stat that Texas has only played in 1 Big 12 title game since 2009 and that was two seasons ago under Herman and that this would be his second?

How about this.

Big 12 Championship game appearances:

Mack Brown: 4 appearances in 13 eligible seasons
Tom Herman: 2 appearances in 4 seasons.

Ketch:

RE: What if #9...Morenz was playing great before he hurt his knee against Colorado, the injury that gave JB his chance. I honestly had forgotten that the A&M game was the last game Morenz played, but A&M killed about everyone they played that year. I don't know what would have happened if he never hurts his knee, but I do think that JB would have had to delay his time as starting QB until 1995 at the earliest. And I also wish Morenz had had the chance to play with both Williams and Mitchell in the backfield.

Also, RE: What if #7...If Charlie had beaten Kansas and kept his job (I still think he would have been fired after losing to TCU in the last game) and Tom Herman goes to LSU, what is your best guess as to who Texas would have hired as HC in 2018 (assuming 2017 would have been Charlie's last year)?

If they get that nice lead that looked like was about to materialize, Alabama isn’t coming back with rag armed McElroy. But if my aunt had balls etc...

The 91 Cotton still stings me more though.
because of the emphatic nature of it all?

RE: What if #9...Morenz was playing great before he hurt his knee against Colorado, the injury that gave JB his chance. I honestly had forgotten that the A&M game was the last game Morenz played, but A&M killed about everyone they played that year. I don't know what would have happened if he never hurts his knee, but I do think that JB would have had to delay his time as starting QB until 1995 at the earliest. And I also wish Morenz had had the chance to play with both Williams and Mitchell in the backfield.

Also, RE: What if #7...If Charlie had beaten Kansas and kept his job (I still think he would have been fired after losing to TCU in the last game) and Tom Herman goes to LSU, what is your best guess as to who Texas would have hired as HC in 2018 (assuming 2017 would have been Charlie's last year)?
Great question.

I don't have a great answer.

Herman isn't losing his job if he wins the first conference title since 2009. H'e just not IMO.
Yes. The optics would be horrible. But this is the worst conference in decades and Herman‘s teams just do not meet the eye test.
So if his fourth year team lucks out we are screwed next year and for a long time to come.
It is very difficult it to not root for what is really best for this program.

Body of work over four years including this year. Record against tcu. Record against ou. Immaturity of the head coach. Recruiting is not at an elite level. Potentially a hof coach is available. Last reason is enough in its own for me. Hard for me to not say the Baylor and wvu games were ugly ugly wins against bad teams.
And lost the Brockmeyers.

Yes. The optics would be horrible. But this is the worst conference in decades and Herman‘s teams just do not meet the eye test.
So if his fourth year team lucks out we are screwed next year and for a long time to come.
It is very difficult it to root for what is really best for this program.
Is it really the worst conference in decades? I mean 2013 wasn't that long ago.

I loved that team and I believed. Hated Miami. Hated Dennis Erickson’s stupid face. I was 12 and it was the first time my heart got broke...more like hit upside the head with a 2x4. :- )
Will you hate me if I tell you I still have a copy of the game on VHS because it had Russell Maryland, Darrin Smith and Kevin Williams playing like bad ass mamma jammas. Plus, I kind of liked that Miami team. I was still a Baylor fan back then.

Will you hate me if I tell you I still have a copy of the game on VHS because it had Russell Maryland, Darrin Smith and Kevin Williams playing like bad ass mamma jammas. Plus, I kind of liked that Miami team. I was still a Baylor fan back then.

Incredible team. One of the best I’ve ever seen no question. I was too young to see the comedy in believing Texas could win.

What if Major starts the B12 Champ game
I guess that can be a what if, but prior to the game there was no logical reason for that to happen. And Mack Brown would have been the most criticized coach in America if he out of nowhere changes QB's for a team that has won 6 games in a row (closest margin 2 TD's) averaging 42 points a game. Assuming Simms had no injury.

I guess that can be a what if, but prior to the game there was no logical reason for that to happen. And Mack Brown would have been the most criticized coach in America if he out of nowhere changes QB's for a team that has won 6 games in a row (closest margin 2 TD's) averaging 42 points a game. Assuming Simms had no injury.
Correct. Texas and Simms had it rolling going into that game.

It's not a meaningful stat that Texas has only played in 1 Big 12 title game since 2009 and that was two seasons ago under Herman and that this would be his second?

How about this.

Tom Herman: 2 appearances in 4 seasons.

Now we're right back where we started. Once again, if during Mack's tenure CCG participants had been selected the way they are now, that chart would look like this:

Mack Brown: 9 appearances (and possibly 10 if you include 2002) in 13 eligible seasons (0.692, and possibly 0.769 if you count 2002).
Tom Herman: 2 appearances in 4 seasons (0.500).

Alternatively, if CCG participants were chosen now like they were during Mack's day, the chart would look like this:

Tom Herman: 0 appearances in 4 seasons

So do CCG appearances actually mean something?

Reactions: Juarez Your Problem
I’ll always love Stan for bowing up. I dig stuff like that. Texas was going to get smoked either way.
Yeah, but HE didn't back up his words. He needed to play really well that day... and he didn't. James Brown, he isn't.

I don't see that at all. If we developed players you would have something there, but that hasn't happened, and Sam won't be around to bail out awful game plans next year.
I can't wait until Urban is coaching here next year (obviously) and his game plans are criticized. Because they absolutely will be.

Reactions: boernefan
2020 Oklahoma as it stands right now would destroy that Baylor team that Texas pushed hard for 30 minutes.
Yes. But when we played OU they were extremely beatable. Tech, as you argued, was a win that could very easily have been a loss.
We either want to be an elite program or we don’t. Tom will never be elite. The powers that be are looking for the very first chance to can him. They really want that chance, so you know what that implies.

You have to show that you have a spine if you want me to treat you like someone that has one.

Del Conte hasn't taken a question about anything since July. Four months ago.

Give me a break with the excuse-making and enabling.
Except off the record from Brian Davis, apparently . . . ;)

What if Major never rips up his knee at Tech's shitty field in 2000. Major had seized control of the starting QB job that year and there was talk that Chris Simms was wanting to redshirt in 2001. Instead, Simms finishes the Tech game, then has a coming out party against A&M and never again loses the starting job.

ADVERTISEMENT