ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From The Weekend (Let's just talk about it all... again)

Caleb Burton just committed to Ohio State. If we don't get rid of Herman we won't land a single top 25 recruit instate next cycle.

Reactions: UT Bondman
@Ketchum

if Tom loses Friday, and UM is in discussions with Texas, do the Brock twins hold off on Bama?

Which recruits would you favor flipping to Texas at that point, assuming Urban is Spanish Oaks bound?

I also think if Tom wins out, he’s proven he’s the long term solution (at least another years worth anyway)

Caleb Burton just committed to Ohio State. If we don't get rid of Herman we won't land a single top 25 recruit instate next cycle.

Mods, how long can cdc, bmd’s, and other decision makers let this go on. I mean it’s just brutal at this point , absolutely getting crushed in recruiting.

Boosters wanting Herman fired is about the Eyes of Texas and supporting athletes on March. The data says Herman is coaching towards one of the best season at Texas. It’s not about winning it’s about long standing belief.

Boosters wanting Herman fired is about the Eyes of Texas and supporting athletes on March. The data says Herman is coaching towards one of the best season at Texas. It’s not about winning it’s about long standing belief.
Are you 12? This is about football being really, really hard 24/7/365 with top recruiting classes in year 4. GTFO with this LMAO

• Love
Reactions: drunk randoke
I think there's a combo of two things in play.... the football hasn't been good enough and the recruiting is worsening.

If they get that nice lead that looked like was about to materialize, Alabama isn’t coming back with rag armed McElroy. But if my aunt had balls etc...

The 91 Cotton still stings me more though.
You were to young to know but I was at the 84 Cotton Bowl vs Georgia and the 91 Miami massacre. Believe me, the 84 loss felt much worse.

Reactions: WTexasHorn
I had dinner this weekend with some close friends and their son is in a fraternity at UT which has a couple of scholarship football players. My friends went a parents/son party recently and they had a chance to talk to one of the players. The kid was a little “tipsy” so he was overly honest with his opinions. He said that he absolutely hates playing football at UT. He said the environment is completely toxic, and despite Herman’s claim, the locker room is not united. He specifically said that there is one of the player leadership council (my friends gave his name but am excluding it for this post) is extremely divisive and unpopular with a lot of the players, but Herman loves him, so he doesn’t get called out. This is just one piece of data, so take this with a grain of salt. But if it’s true, I think this is going to be a long, bitter offseason if Herman is still the coach.
I wish I knew who all is on that council. I know that Jake Smith is. I bet most of us could guess who the malcontent is if that story is true. I know college kids like to party but it's not too comforting knowing that a couple of those kids were at a frat party with Covid and all.

I think there's a combo of two things in play.... the football hasn't been good enough and the recruiting is worsening.

This.

It’s incredible how many people on this board that can only see the car in front of them but not the massive car wreck a 1/2 mile down the highway before it’s too late to swerve out of the way.

The 2021 class is DOA. The 2022 class is in serious jeopardy.

Some of y’all need @Ketchum to spell out the implications of that 4-6 years down the road?

This.

It’s incredible how many people on this board that can only see the car in front of them but not the massive car wreck a 1/2 mile down the highway before it’s too late to swerve out of the way.

The 2021 class is DOA. The 2022 class is in serious jeopardy.

Some of y’all need @Ketchum to spell out the implications of that 4-6 years down the road?
I think the scary thing is that the bread is already in the oven for the 2024-2025 seasons, Unless Texas adsds some five-star talent in the next couple of years, the talent that will make the foundation of the program's team for the. next half decade is already in place or soon. will be.

It's not a good truth for Texas.

I think the scary thing is that the bread is already in the oven for the 2024-2025 seasons, Unless Texas adsds some five-star talent in the next couple of years, the talent that will make the foundation of the program's team for the. next half decade is already in place or soon. will be.

The administration needs to channel their inner Beth Harmon and start seeing how this thing unfolds 12 steps from now.

How many of each group would you say are the minimum needed to be signed each year to consistently compete at the CFP level:

Texas Top 10? I'll say 6.
Texas Top 25? I'll say 12.
National Top 100? I'll say 10.

How many of each group would you say are the minimum needed to be signed each year to consistently compete at the CFP level:

Texas Top 10? I'll say 6.
Texas Top 25? I'll say 12.
National Top 100? I'll say 10.
depends on out of state recruiting, but that's about right.

In the "What If" category I always wondered what would have happened if Adam Dunn had stuck with football. That dude was a monster and I remember watching his throw deep routes along side Major in prep for a bowl game. Major put everything he had into chucking the ball downfield and Dunn would flick his wrist and the ball would sail 60 yards. Can you imagine that beast roaming the UT backfield a la Ben Roethlisberger for a couple of years? Maybe Simms wouldn't have come to Texas?

Agree with 84 cotton bowl much more painful than 91. lack of consistent offense was the killer in 84. In 91 so obvious that Miami was a much superior football team.

do you think that's true? The Brockermeyer ship sailed well before this season so I don't think complaints about Herman this season sunk that ship.
The Brockermeyers are a special case. But the Bowmans and the Ewers and the Wilsons are the guys I am thinking about. It sounds like the program has no juice at all with local recruits. Might as well test the waters with OOS guys rather than dip farther and farther into the local talent pool

In the "What If" category I always wondered what would have happened if Adam Dunn had stuck with football. That dude was a monster and I remember watching his throw deep routes along side Major in prep for a bowl game. Major put everything he had into chucking the ball downfield and Dunn would flick his wrist and the ball would sail 60 yards. Can you imagine that beast roaming the UT backfield a la Ben Roethlisberger for a couple of years? Maybe Simms wouldn't have come to Texas?
He'd have transferred because of Simms. He hated the politics involved of Applewhite being the starter before Simms arrived. He knew what Simms; arrival meant.

The Brockermeyers are a special case. But the Bowmans and the Ewers and the Wilsons are the guys I am thinking about. It sounds like the program has no juice at all with local recruits. Might as well test the waters with OOS guys rather than dip farther and farther into the local talent pool
That's not completely true in 2022, but the momentum that suggests that UT could finish 1st instead of 2nd or 3rd with those kids is hard to find,

Agree with 84 cotton bowl much more painful than 91. lack of consistent offense was the killer in 84. In 91 so obvious that Miami was a much superior football team.
I can still see Randall Hill running into the tunnel and never stopping,.

Reactions: Elliot Carlin
He'd have transferred because of Simms. He hated the politics involved of Applewhite being the starter before Simms arrived. He knew what Simms; arrival meant.
I'm sure you covered him back in the day. Am I right in thinking he could have been a pretty good QB if he'd have stuck with it? How the hell did Major edge him out?

Why not just support the team like hell and root for us to win a conference title this? Amazing to me how many people could be mad at an 8-2 season and a CCG birth. It truly baffles me. And there is still a clear path for both of those to happen!
You can't just look at this in a vacuum. Most of us are taking everything into consideration, including all the crap that has happened (lackluster recruiting, bad losses earlier in the season- in a down year for the conference, TH's offensive "Eyes" and SJW antics/statements, his current relationship with CDC, etc.) and what the future looks like (horrific misses and decommits in recruiting-and trending worse, horrible OL outlook, OU getting a bunch of our coveted recruits, the best Texas HS players snubbing us, his future relationship with CDC, etc.)

I'm sure you covered him back in the day. Am I right in thinking he could have been a pretty good QB if he'd have stuck with it? How the hell did Major edge him out?
Yes.

He redshirted when Applewhite was a starter in 1998. I had always heard that Dunn really, really disliked. Major.

ADVERTISEMENT