ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (Let's talk about Garrett Wilson ...)

@Ketchum , do you believe that neither Sam or Shane is the answer and do you feel that one of these freshmen will be the starter in 2019, Tia.
I just think the urgency of the moment and the fact that both don't quite seem ready could lead to problems.

No. 4 - Turning pro came at a cost for Texas players ...

Turning pro did not really work out well for the Longhorns that left early.

Connor Williams was once thought to be a first-round pick and he went in the middle of the second round.

Malik Jefferson left thinking he'd be a first- or second-round pick, but dropped into round three.

DeShon Elliott turned his all-America season into a sixth round draft slot.

Holton Hill went undrafted.

Same with Chris Warren.
tenor.gif

Of course, the likes of Williams and Jefferson will still sign contracts that will give them some instant security with smart financial planning and making any kind of money can be better than making none ... but still ... this early departure stuff didn't quite work out for anyone, not even Michael Dickson, who was the first punter drafted, but went in the fifth round.

A case can be made that all of the drafted Longhorns landed in spots that will serve them well in trying to create a spot on the roster for themselves, but outside of Williams and Jefferson, there won't be much in the way of signing bonuses or guaranteed money for the others.

If I'm Tom Herman, the results of this year's draft will serve as an annual cautionary tale for every junior thinking of making the leap forever more.
I continue to believe that the NFL acts unethically in "advising" these kids on their draft potential. The advisors could care less about these kids. All they care about is increasing the quality of players in the draft. There should be disclosure of how many kids are told they have 1st round potential. If it's 100, then we'll know that the system is rigged to put $ signs in these kids' eyes to smoke them out of college and deprive them of a free education. It's a racket.

We need to get off the fantasy that Williams, Jefferson ,Dickerson left too early. They all will sign 7 figure contracts ,with nice guarantees ,one more year of risking injury for room and board is not worth it. Texas should be so good at developing 3 and done is the normal.

First met Willie in the Night Owl Club in West, Texas almost 60 years ago.

Losing Willie (assuming I live longer than he lives; not a guarantee), will affect me greatly.

Reactions: ljswank
How is Ohio st's offense any better than ours is what I dont seem to understand? Theirs has been pretty bad since herman left. I haven't looked at statistics but watching them for yrs its not very good at all.
Well, there's a national championship and 6 consecutive seasons with at least 11 wins. Remind me - what has the offense at Texas accomplished over the same period?

I just think the urgency of the moment and the fact that both don't quite seem ready could lead to problems.
@Ketchum Thanks, I agree and also feel that if it is not addressed correctly along with the o line Herman may not make it here because kids want to see results now and you're only as good as you recruit to an extent. What are your thoughts on that?

Last edited:
No sense I'm mentioning no.7 if you are not prepared to bring the heat on her. That was the most underwhelming statement you have made in a while. Unless I am missing something.

Big mistake to allow either freshman to see the field this Fall. Otherwise, how do we get out of the current cycle of inept QB play if we keep chewing up young QBs?

We need to get off the fantasy that Williams, Jefferson ,Dickerson left too early. They all will sign 7 figure contracts ,with nice guarantees ,one more year of risking injury for room and board is not worth it. Texas should be so good at developing 3 and done is the normal.
I don't think anyone is saying they left too early, just that money ended up potentially being left on the table.

Reactions: ranrev
No sense I'm mentioning no.7 if you are not prepared to bring the heat on her. That was the most underwhelming statement you have made in a while. Unless I am missing something.
Underwhelming? I stated that the performance isn't good enough and isn't holding up to the standards that should exist.

Big mistake to allow either freshman to see the field this Fall. Otherwise, how do we get out of the current cycle of inept QB play if we keep chewing up young QBs?
I don't think anyone would suggest it's optimal.

I hate to venture into hyperbolic territory but I'm about ready to declare Lake Travis HS Satan's spawn as far as UT football recruiting is concerned. The narrative always seems to be either the big time kids spurn us, the no name jerks spurn us and then blossom or the big time kids commit to us and end up the bust of the century.

Thanks for getting my Monday off to a good start. Always an interesting read.

I think it says volumes about the state of the program that we are even talking about a freshman taking snaps at this point, both on health and quality issues. My eyes squinched when I read Herman praising Beck for his work with the QBs. I hope he's right, but I seriously question his judgment when it comes to his OC... seriously question.

BTW, I never thought we'd beat out OSU for Wilson... roots are deeply entrenched, and OSU is a MUCH better program that Texas at this point (sad to say).

Hook 'em!!!

Reactions: T-Sip-71-12
Ketch - in case you missed it - Texas men's and women's tennis teams both won Big 12 Championships today. Men beat Baylor 4-2 and women beat Tech 4-1. Both teams playing very well and poised to make a run in NCAA tournament in weeks.

Light the tower (at least part of it) orange! Well done, players and coaches -- love the new complex, by the way.

Hook 'em!!!

I continue to believe that the NFL acts unethically in "advising" these kids on their draft potential. The advisors could care less about these kids. All they care about is increasing the quality of players in the draft. There should be disclosure of how many kids are told they have 1st round potential. If it's 100, then we'll know that the system is rigged to put $ signs in these kids' eyes to smoke them out of college and deprive them of a free education. It's a racket.
If you don’t get a first round grade, you’re advised to go back to school. Every Texas player in this year’s draft was advised to return, but agents persuaded them to come out.

BUY or SELL: Charlie Strong’s approach to recruiting and developing players has set Texas back 10 years?

(Sell) TEN YEARS?!?!? This wasn't a serious question, was it?

I mean, we are starting the 5 season from the beginning of the Charlie Strong era in September and I don’t see an argument that we are on the cusp of a 2012 season anytime soon. So maybe 8 years?

edit: Pre 2012 season

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT