ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (Let's talk about Garrett Wilson ...)

We should see a slowly improving situation on the OL. Sam should gradually get better, with Rising waiting in the wings. Then you have an improving running game (I think it'll be better this year with Hand onboard and better OL play).

With all that adding up I see things starting to change for recruiting more of the offensive-side studs.

And like everyone else has already said, winning never had a bad day.

I see a far better temperate with the recruits as we head from a 7 to 8 win potential, to an 8 to 9 win potential team. That's not that great of a stretch as compared to Charlie's last year and then last season.

All that aside, the gradual improvement of the offense will bring the bell-ringers. Just watch.

Last edited:
Reactions: Never Nuff Horns
Why do we have to wait for years while you are kicking it around in your head ? I think you should just follow sl's ideal and keep them together and you could start Monday.
I have a host of reservations about blending the two together.

Good stuff @Ketchum on the draft data. Always enjoy your breakdowns. Also interesting on the top 100 picks of the draft:

49 were 4 or 5 stars
51 were 3 star or less.

I liked the Cowboys draft. I like the late QB and TE taken. I also like that they continue to keep the Oline pipeline coming and are committed to the running game. Hopefully one of the WRs makes an impact. I like both. My biggest ? was the Kansas pass rusher. Other than him I thought scored well for each round.
I like Armstrong, but it's possible I'm letting some confirmation bias kick in.

In fairness, Bradford has been in the league essentially the same time as Vince: more yards, TDs, completion percentage, QBR and fewer picks.

Having said all that, this is a true pillow fight of NFL comparisons.
a. Yet, he not been a Pro Bowl player at a time when being a Pro Bowl player is as watered down as it has ever been and his team don't win with him on the field, as VY's teams did.

b. =)roll

With a slowly improving situation on the OL, Sam who'll get gradually better, an improving running game (I think it'll do better this year than last with Hand onboard and better OL play), and then having Rising in the wings, next year and the year after should start to change things for recruiting some of the offensive studs.

And like everyone else has already said, Winning never had a bad day.

All that aside, the gradual improvement of the offense will bring the bell-ringers. Just watch.
Very, very possible. Like I mentioned, the timing with Wilson isn't great. If he happened to be in 2018 or 2020, I think Texas would stand a much better chance.

Reactions: scspro
I think it has done an enormous amount of damage to college football in Texas
I look at it sort of 2 ways. I remember hearing all the time when Texas the state was not producing passing qbs, and you heard it was because of no summer camps.

On the other hand I remember when Texas was kicking ass with the wishbone and college programs started running it that most high schools copied what the colleges were doing. Now it seems like the colleges copy what the high schools run.

If you don’t get a first round grade, you’re advised to go back to school. Every Texas player in this year’s draft was advised to return, but agents persuaded them to come out.
Anwar, that may be the case, but the point I am raising reflects the skepticism I've had for a long time about the system of disclosing to kids their "draft grade." I believe the system lacks accountability, transparency and reliability. Since we're not talking about that many student athletes, no one cares whether they're getting screwed with diluted, inflated grades. A simple disclosure of the number of kids told they have "1st round potential" would shine some sunlight on whether the grades are reliable. I know the grades are preliminary, subject to actual team needs, the athlete's pro day performance, yadda, yadda. I also agree with you the agents are singing their siren song. I am talking about the number of kids told of their 1st round draft grade.

Reactions: Never Nuff Horns
Anwar, that may be the case, but the point I am raising reflects the skepticism I've had for a long time about the system of disclosing to kids their "draft grade." I believe the system lacks accountability, transparency and reliability. Since we're not talking about that many student athletes, no one cares whether they're getting screwed with diluted, inflated grades. A simple disclosure of the number of kids told they have "1st round potential" would shine some sunlight on whether the grades are reliable. I know the grades are preliminary, subject to actual team needs, the athlete's pro day performance, yadda, yadda. I also agree with you the agents are singing their siren song. I am talking about the number of kids told of their 1st round draft grade.
I feel you, if that means anything.;)

Just making mention of the historical failures of the program and how far the program has fallen when compared to the usual standards wasn't enough.

But, maybe not scorched earth.

Gotcha.;)

If you didn't feel or see the need to stress urgency then I can't help. All good

Personally, seeing these early exits drop in the draft or not drafted at all after stiffing their teammates in the bowl game seems like karma to me.

I just don't see where you're getting this idea that I don't see or feel urgency.

It just appeared to be a benign, simplistic comment to me. That's just my interpretation. I'm a little more passionate I guess when I have watched that program absolutely fail for the past decade. And there is really no other word for it. It hasn't even reached the level of mediocrity for UT athletics in that time.

It just appeared to be a benign, simplistic comment to me. That's just my interpretation. I'm a little more passionate I guess when I have watched that program absolutely fail for the past decade. And there is really no other word for it. It hasn't even reached the level of mediocrity for UT athletics in that time.
I disgaree with the last part. It has absolutely been par for the course for the mediocrity the school has tolerated. Her supporters would point to making the NCAA Tournament every year for a decade as proof of sustained success, but that's not where my definition of success stands.

I disgaree with the last part. It has absolutely been par for the course for the mediocrity the school has tolerated. Her supporters would point to making the NCAA Tournament every year for a decade as proof of sustained success, but that's not where my definition of success stands.

Well yes it has been what the school has tolerated. I was speaking from a fan's perspective. And I agree with the last statement. Although even if you are a supporter I'm not sure how you get that statement out of your mouth before starting to giggle.

Appreciate the kind words. One of these days I'm going to launch "|Orangebloods W", a site dedicated completely to UT women's athletics. I have kicked it around in my head for years.
Or another board? I'd enjoy that, along with info on other men's sports. If CDC is putting new emphasis on them, I'm going to also. Swimming, track, tennis, both men and women.

Well yes it has been what the school has tolerated. I was speaking from a fan's perspective. And I agree with the last statement. Although even if you are a supporter I'm not sure how you get that statement out of your mouth before starting to giggle.
Apparently, some people are able to do it.

Or another board? I'd enjoy that, along with info on other men's sports. If CDC is putting new emphasis on them, I'm going to also. Swimming, track, tennis, both men and women.
My instincts tell me that content aimed at drawing in hard-core fans of women's sports will appeal to a different set of fan that might not be of the same demographics of Orangebloods. I think a site dedicated to women's coverage deserves its own space.

My instincts tell me that content aimed at drawing in hard-core fans of women's sports will appeal to a different set of fan that might not be of the same demographics of Orangebloods. I think a site dedicated to women's coverage deserves its own space.

It's a different target market/ideal customer definition. You are right about that. You need to make sure it's not shiny stuff.

Last edited:
If you don’t get a first round grade, you’re advised to go back to school. Every Texas player in this year’s draft was advised to return, but agents persuaded them to come out.

Are you saying the reason they left was because of agents?

a. Yet, he not been a Pro Bowl player at a time when being a Pro Bowl player is as watered down as it has ever been and his team don't win with him on the field, as VY's teams did.

b. =)roll

Why are you putting so much stock in pro bowls? Aren’t they voted on by fans?

Why are you putting so much stock in pro bowls? Aren’t they voted on by fans?
It's a measurable achievement of quality. It's split up between the players, coaches and fans.

We can focus on won-loss records if that matters.

The situation also serves as a reminder that players of Wilson's pedigree have questions about the state of the Texas offense that haven't yet been fully answered in Tom Herman's first 17 months of the job. It's a question that will remain for the next Garrett Wilson in 2020 if the Texas offense doesn't make major strides this season.

It's as simple as that.
giphy.gif

Reactions: CutaneousHorn
... I have zero confidence in Baker Mayfield succeeding in Cleveland. Wrong player, wrong team, wrong situation. I don't know how any NFL team could draft a Big 12 quarterback with the No. 1 overall pick. In the 20+ year history of the league, Vince Young is still the best pro quarterback that the league has ever produced.

Never thought of it that way, but your a hundred percent correct. Great point!

ADVERTISEMENT