ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (Let's talk about the burnt orange anxiety disorder...)

kasey-studdard-of-the-texas-longhorns-stands-on-the-sidelines-during-picture-id72540825

Reactions: cookie 72541
It appears something is brewing here for Texas...

Yeah, if he isn’t going to get a committable offer from Bama, then i think he only picks aggie due to wanting SEC versus all else.

We’ll see soon enough.

Armadillo Slim said many years to enjoy that era because it had been a long time coming and it could all go away......and it did. Everything comes to an end sooner or later..including the bad times.

The issue to me is this: Anyone can handle victory - it is when you lose you find what you really are. Nobody likes to lose but you have to learn to deal with it no matter how pain you get from it. Nietzsche said it best:
" That which does not kill us makes us stronger"

I have been a LONGHORN since I was 9 years old-I watched the Big Shootout on a black and white TV in quarters at Fort Chaffee Arkansas and I rooted for Texas like crazy because I hated Arkansas with a white hot passion (I still do)........and I have been in love with her since.....I even went to school in Austin and have my degree.

I love football but I love THE UNIVERSITY OF TEXAS even more and I am proud of the SCHOOL not just the FOOTBALL TEAM.and that pride win or lose will never die.

Well said.

Ketch-
Looks like you expect a final class count of 28, correct?

(Not including Anderson)

Wow...so why are you even on OBs??

He's a self-loather.
Actually I enjoy the content the mods bring as this was the first site I subscribed to and I don't plan on ever canceling unless I fall into money issues, but please continue to berate your subscribes for commenting on a thing or two they don't like every now and then.

Agree Matt Coleman is going to be a big star. He just needs to get over being embarrassed by being as good as he is. Obvious that Wednesday night is not as big as Saturday night. Saturday night was Ou. Wednesday night is not.

giphy.gif

I don't know when it officially went away during the last eight years, but it feels like it's been a while since fans of the burnt orange persuasion had their mojo.

Confidence.

Dare I say, swag.

Once upon a time about a decade ago, Orangebloods everywhere had it. The football program was a top-10 fixture, the basketball program seemed to be a rising giant and the baseball program was ... well ... it was Texas Baseball.

No matter the situation, Texas fans always believed. I'll never forget being in the Rose Bowl in January of 2010 when Garrett Gilbert jogged onto the field in the fourth quarter with a chance to take Texas to glory with one more second-half scoring drive.

There was zero fear among Texas fans in that moment. Everyone in my section could feel victory slipping into their hands. It was the same kind of feeling that existed when Vince Young got the ball back in the final two minutes against USC four seasons earlier.

There just wasn't any doubt. Everything was possible. Texas would win.

The same thing existed in baseball. It didn't matter how many runs Texas might trail by in the ninth inning, you just expected that Texas was about to flip the hat backwards and go over the top.

Yet, the last eight years have been haaaaarrrrrd.

All of that moxie is mostly gone and you can feel it in every game these days, regardless of the sport, both on the message boards and in the arena.

The emotions of this fan base have been battered so often that now it feels like the worst is always anticipated and it doesn't matter which sport it is. All it takes is a match to be lit and someone is screaming "Fiiiiiirrrrre" in a crowded theater ... and the riots heading for the exits begin in swift fashion.

Call me crazy, but just as I always believed the players bounced with the same air of confidence as their fans, the same is true in the other direction and overcoming negative thinking and expectations is something that all of the big three of the Big Three sports are currently trying to fight through.

Tom Herman has talked about trying to force his guys to believe they can win.

Just last week, Mo Bamba jumped into the face of Matt Coleman because he believed he was hanging his head.

It mattered on Saturday when a sold out Erwin Center responded with conviction when the Longhorns started to make their comeback in the second half. It felt like both sides were trying to will each other to the place they reached in those key moments, so much so that I'm guessing Tom Herman (who was in the building) and Shaka Smart would have given a lot to be able to bottle it up for future moments of need.

Winning the mental side of all of this discussion within these major men's programs is paramount to future success.

All of this brings me back to many of you reading this column right now. I'm not telling you that you don't have a right to be pissed at any number of things you've witnessed in these last eight years across the board. I'm not telling you to fake your emotions. It's not like you can stop being fans, which is short for fanatics.

What I am telling everyone is that this anxiety disorder that exists inside of Texas athletics isn't healthy and perhaps everyone should consider that some of the nastiness and negativity that often prevails out of instinct serves no one well. Ultimately, I'm quite sure that this isn't a chicken or egg situation because the vibe won't change until winning occurs, and probably not a second before. It's rare that an air of confidence arrives overnight.

In the meantime, I'm calling it out so that we can acknowledge all of this in the open, while acknowledging that eating your own (or even eating your own arm) is counter-productive to what this place is in dire need of.

Ok, everyone ... group-hug time.

No. 2 – And down the stretch they come ... [/I]

DVNnY7FUMAAT_n_.jpg

Get ready for a fun last 60 hours or so in the 2018 recruiting year.

Let's start with the commitment on Sunday of Yoakum wide receiver Joshua Moore. When my first set of rankings for the Class of 2018 (link to discussion here), this is what I said of Moore:

"Recent Texas offer Josh Moore is a certified bad ass."|

Nothing has changed almost two years later ... I still believe he's a certified bad-ass, worthy of national top 75-150-type status. In a class that will feature some potential deadly wide receiver prospects, Moore might just end up being the best of the best.

Huge addition.

Meanwhile, let's take a look at what's left on the board and where I think things are headed on Wednesday.

RB Keaontay Ingram - Texas (Relax.)

WR Lawrence Keys - Notre Dame (Moore is the receiver this class will finish with)

WR Jaylen Waddle - Texas A&M (The centerpiece of Jimbo's first class.)

OL Christian Jones – Texas (I refuse to believe that Texas will lose an in-state kid to Cal.)

DE Vernon Jackson - Texas A&M (Last visit mojo for the Aggies on a kid that is probably pretty comfortable in an East Texas locale.)

DE Joseph Ossai - Texas (Mark it, Donny.)

DT Keondre Coburn - Texas (Relax.)

DT Moro Ojomo - Texas (Just a hunch.)

LB Andrew Parker - Texas (His interview with Suchomel checked all of the boxes.

Tommy Bush is the one kid that I'm not sure about. I'm not sure what to think about him, but the smart money is that he goes elsewhere.

No. 3 – The elephant in the room ...
EmjzjdP.jpg

Tom Herman's press conference on Wednesday is going to be much-watch theater.

The Texas head coach hasn't talked with the media since the bowl game or the Herb Hand hire.

Inquiring minds are going to want to know what the hell his vision is for the offense and his arranging of his staff.

Is he calling plays? Does he expect any more staff changes? Is the only change that is taking place is that Hand will help Tim Beck with game-calling from the booth, but Beck will still generally be in charge of the offense? How much confidence does he have in Derek Warehime after viewing his area as the most in need of help and then kicking him out to tight ends?

Honestly, the list of questions that might be asked is quite long.

I'm curious ... if you could ask Tom Herman one question, and one question only, what would you ask him?

My question?

"Tom, can you please discuss what you believe the addition of Herb Hand will bring to the offense, especially on game days, and can you discuss the overall state of your offensive coaching staff and the hierarchy within. Please feel free to include what role you believe you'll play as well."

No. 4 – Looking good, Billy Ray! Feeling good, Louis …

In my view, there's no way this kid isn't playing for Texas. No offense to Michigan or anyone else, but this one just feels like Texas all the way.

No. 5 - Story time with Uncle Ketch ...

I tried this once before in this column, but it didn't seem to gain any traction as far as I could tell as a popular element within the column, so I ditched it. However, my best stories of the past always seem to be a hit in podcast or discussion form.

So, for the next month, I'm going to dip into the memory-bag and give you guys a favorite story of mine each week in this column. If it's popular, I'll keep doing it throughout the off-season.

I will protect the innocent when I feel like they might want to be corrected, such as this particular story.

Many of you will remember the infamous Albert Hollis/DJ Williams official visit weekend back in December of 1999. I'll probably tell quite a few stories from this weekend in the future because there are a million stories that became of it, but I want to focus on what happened at the very end of the night.

Let me paint the scene ... As far as wild nights, this one ranks up there. At this point in the evening, Williams and Hollis were lost by themselves downtown, unable to locate their hotel. It had been an hour since most of the bars had closed, but the dancing at one particular club had continued until I finally hung up my cleats and left at around 3 a.m.

I was walking with another reporter, who was in town for the weekend, when we came across a young Texas football player in the middle of the street.

This particular player had been known in high school as a very, very religious person, the kind of kid that goes bowling on his official visit.

Yet, in this moment he was shirtless and had seemingly enjoyed too many Shirley Temples. No one was with him ... it was just him in the street kind of muttering to himself. Then ... out of nowhere, he turns his attention to a policeman riding his horse.

"I'll block any mo********er in the country!" he screams in the direction of the horse.

The horse didn't move. The cop said nothing. The young player then turned in a different direction and walked off and I just stood there with my friend in wonderment.

After all these years, it's still the funniest thing I've ever witnessed in a lifetime of going downtown in Austin.

The end.

No. 6 – UT Hoops ...

Just three quick thoughts on a massive win over the Sooners on Saturday:

a. Good for this group of guys. It deserved to have a moment of pure exhilaration after everything the team has been through and it was awesome to see all of those young guys feed off of the energy in the Erwin Center. Like I said, you'd bottle all of that up if you could.

b. I can't believe the people that were piling on Matt Coleman earlier in the week. Missed free throws and fouling out in Lubbock be damned, this kid is evolving into the kind of player that will be a first-team all-Big 12 player in a year or two. As far as I'm concerned, he is absolutely living up to the expectations placed on him and he's doing it all while growing up in the grind of a brutal Big 12. Freshmen are gonna freshmen on occasion, but if you can't see this rose blooming in front of all of us, you either don't want to see or you just can't. It's happening.

c. Texas can't enjoy the OU win for too long because all it did last week was hold serve in its quest to finish this season where it needs to. A very dangerous Kansas State team comes to town on Wednesday and a trip to Fort Worth awaits on the weekend. Texas needs to come out of that two-game stretch with a win, by any means.

Wednesday night is almost as big as Saturday night.

No. 7 – Buy or Sell …
buy-or-sell-stock-ideas-by-experts-for-december-20-2017.jpg

BUY or SELL: Top 3 class?

(Buy) I think so. The commitment from Moore certainly helps.

BUY or SELL: National Signing Day will see a major surprise?

(Sell) The only thing that would represent a real surprise in my mind is Jaylen Waddle signing with the Longhorns and I just don't think that's going to happen. There's very little that's happened that is pointing in UT's direction.

BUY or SELL: With the early signing period now, middle tier recruits receive attention and offers that they wouldn't have received otherwise due to a shrunken pool of talent and players?

(Buy) If the volume of early signings in December remains the same or climbs, it eliminates a lot of the middle-class options that used to sit on a platter for a school like Texas. The P.J. Locke's of 2018 might have already signed with Oregon before Texas ever decides it wants to offer. I would imagine Tom Herman and his staff surely learned some lessons this year that they'll adjust to in the future.

BUY or SELL: At least three signees don’t make it to fall with bad grades/ACT/SAT?

(Sell) I don't think this will be nearly that big of an issue. There's no Devonaire Clarington in this class.

BUY or SELL: Someone other than Anthony Wheeler will start at MLB in 2018?

(Buy) That's Gary Johnson's job in my mind. I'm still not sold that Wheeler is a full-time starter at this level.

BUY or SELL: CDC, given time, will be able to fully optimize the portfolio of assets (i.e., brand, alumni base, facilities, $, etc.) available to him?

(Buy) I'm acquiring CDC stock ... as much as I can. I'm a fan.

No. 8 – My life as an NFL fan has changed forever…

Please, don't ask for any commentary. As bad as the last two decades have been as a Dallas Cowboys fan, I've always been able to take solace in the fact that no matter how bad life has been as a fan of a team Jerry Jones owns, the Philadelphia Eagles had never won a Super Bowl.

It's one of the few things as a sports fan I took gigantic glee in.

That truth is no longer a truth.

I'm not ready to talk about it. I'm going to be in denial for a while.

No. 9 – Eternal Randomness of the Spotty Sports Mind …

... J.T. was alright. Nothing I'll remember for the rest of my life, great or terrible. My three-year was very happy about the Trolls song being included.

... I didn't really have a beef with any of those announced on Saturday inside the next class of NFL Hall of Famers. I hate that Everson Walls didn't come within a 100-foot pole of getting in, but outside of that one personal ax to grind, the guys that got in deserved to get in. No Jerome Bettis in this group.

... The Warriors look like a team that is mentally crawling to the All-Star break. It'll be fascinating to see how much juice is left in the tank in May and June.

... The Cavs are still going to the NBA Finals ... right?

... The Tex Pimp of England.

... Mo Salah is incredible and I hate EPL refs. Liverpool had one stolen from them on Sunday.

No. 10 – And Finally …

Just wanted to take the final words of the column and use them to wish the new Mr. and Mrs. Richardson a lifetime of happiness as they begin this new chapter in their lives.

Pederson is certified bad ass! The only way you beat Brady, the coach and the Patriots is to keep the gas pedal to the floor. Done! Feel great for Foles! But, oh dang, Cowboys are going to be in trouble until Pederson moves on. Early but he looks and deals like The Coach!

Actually I enjoy the content the mods bring as this was the first site I subscribed to and I don't plan on ever canceling unless I fall into money issues, but please continue to berate your subscribes for commenting on a thing or two they don't like every now and then.
I didn't berate you. I just said you're a self-loather. There was no reason for you to even comment in this thread, but you couldn't just leave anything be.

Reactions: hornbuck
I’ll never forgive Philly for cheering Michael Irvin’s broken neck but...Jordan Hicks and Marcus Johnson are Super Bowl Champs...Pederson is a helluva coach...Hook Em...Congratulations to Mr. and Mrs. Richardson.

Reactions: cordpetee
I didn't berate you. I just said you're a self-loather. There was no reason for you to even comment in this thread, but you couldn't just leave anything be.
Okay so talking crap about your subscribers is okay? I posted my thoughts on two sections of an otherwise good article and apparently you couldn’t handle it? You just couldn’t leave that be I guess.

Reactions: OSWALT

Your attention span that short you have to whine about it? Do yourself a favor - read it..it is not that darn bad.

Reactions: KingPinChris

I just find it funny that the 2 things in the piece you don’t like are the most interesting parts, and are exactly the kind of insights most fans want.

If you don’t like things, that’s fine, but bitching about these two items appears as if you just like finding something to criticize.

Lots of wasted energy, IMHO, but whatever.

Reactions: llanojohn

Am I a self-loather?
I live in Cedar Park and I was shopping at one of the malls this afternoon. This gay male couple walked out of JCPenny and clasped hands as they walked toward the parking lot. Part of me admired their bravery. This particular mall is rife with small-minded guidos and ghetto types. This is not exactly Chelsea or Hell's Kitchen, so it was a really brave thing for them to do. On the other hand, part of me was embarrassed. I was thinking, you shouldn't be doing that here, you shouldn't be advertising to the world that you're gay. I use discretion here, and I would hate for me people to view me like they view them. Pretty self-loathing on my part, wouldn't you say?

Okay so talking crap about your subscribers is okay? I posted my thoughts on two sections of an otherwise good article and apparently you couldn’t handle it? You just couldn’t leave that be I guess.

You started it...and who is keeping it going?? YOU!

Exactly.
Speaks more about him than the piece.

Reactions: llanojohn
I just find it funny that the 2 things in the piece you don’t like are the most interesting parts, and are exactly the kind of insights most fans want.

If you don’t like things, that’s fine, but bitching about these two items appears as if you just like finding something to criticize.

Lots of wasted energy, IMHO, but whatever.

Correct all the way. Maybe IF he actually read it he might like it.

So why did you go out of your way to criticize the two sections, but decided not to compliment the rest?

In my experience. that speaks volumes about the make up of a person.

If you can’t take the push back you are now getting, then you should have thought about that before posting in the first place.

Reactions: KingPinChris

giphy.gif

I don't know when it officially went away during the last eight years, but it feels like it's been a while since fans of the burnt orange persuasion had their mojo.

Confidence.

Dare I say, swag.

Once upon a time about a decade ago, Orangebloods everywhere had it. The football program was a top-10 fixture, the basketball program seemed to be a rising giant and the baseball program was ... well ... it was Texas Baseball.

No matter the situation, Texas fans always believed. I'll never forget being in the Rose Bowl in January of 2010 when Garrett Gilbert jogged onto the field in the fourth quarter with a chance to take Texas to glory with one more second-half scoring drive.

There was zero fear among Texas fans in that moment. Everyone in my section could feel victory slipping into their hands. It was the same kind of feeling that existed when Vince Young got the ball back in the final two minutes against USC four seasons earlier.

There just wasn't any doubt. Everything was possible. Texas would win.

The same thing existed in baseball. It didn't matter how many runs Texas might trail by in the ninth inning, you just expected that Texas was about to flip the hat backwards and go over the top.

Yet, the last eight years have been haaaaarrrrrd.

All of that moxie is mostly gone and you can feel it in every game these days, regardless of the sport, both on the message boards and in the arena.

The emotions of this fan base have been battered so often that now it feels like the worst is always anticipated and it doesn't matter which sport it is. All it takes is a match to be lit and someone is screaming "Fiiiiiirrrrre" in a crowded theater ... and the riots heading for the exits begin in swift fashion.

Call me crazy, but just as I always believed the players bounced with the same air of confidence as their fans, the same is true in the other direction and overcoming negative thinking and expectations is something that all of the big three of the Big Three sports are currently trying to fight through.

Tom Herman has talked about trying to force his guys to believe they can win.

Just last week, Mo Bamba jumped into the face of Matt Coleman because he believed he was hanging his head.

It mattered on Saturday when a sold out Erwin Center responded with conviction when the Longhorns started to make their comeback in the second half. It felt like both sides were trying to will each other to the place they reached in those key moments, so much so that I'm guessing Tom Herman (who was in the building) and Shaka Smart would have given a lot to be able to bottle it up for future moments of need.

Winning the mental side of all of this discussion within these major men's programs is paramount to future success.

All of this brings me back to many of you reading this column right now. I'm not telling you that you don't have a right to be pissed at any number of things you've witnessed in these last eight years across the board. I'm not telling you to fake your emotions. It's not like you can stop being fans, which is short for fanatics.

What I am telling everyone is that this anxiety disorder that exists inside of Texas athletics isn't healthy and perhaps everyone should consider that some of the nastiness and negativity that often prevails out of instinct serves no one well. Ultimately, I'm quite sure that this isn't a chicken or egg situation because the vibe won't change until winning occurs, and probably not a second before. It's rare that an air of confidence arrives overnight.

In the meantime, I'm calling it out so that we can acknowledge all of this in the open, while acknowledging that eating your own (or even eating your own arm) is counter-productive to what this place is in dire need of.

Ok, everyone ... group-hug time.

No. 2 – And down the stretch they come ... [/I]

DVNnY7FUMAAT_n_.jpg

Get ready for a fun last 60 hours or so in the 2018 recruiting year.

Let's start with the commitment on Sunday of Yoakum wide receiver Joshua Moore. When my first set of rankings for the Class of 2018 (link to discussion here), this is what I said of Moore:

"Recent Texas offer Josh Moore is a certified bad ass."|

Nothing has changed almost two years later ... I still believe he's a certified bad-ass, worthy of national top 75-150-type status. In a class that will feature some potential deadly wide receiver prospects, Moore might just end up being the best of the best.

Huge addition.

Meanwhile, let's take a look at what's left on the board and where I think things are headed on Wednesday.

RB Keaontay Ingram - Texas (Relax.)

WR Lawrence Keys - Notre Dame (Moore is the receiver this class will finish with)

WR Jaylen Waddle - Texas A&M (The centerpiece of Jimbo's first class.)

OL Christian Jones – Texas (I refuse to believe that Texas will lose an in-state kid to Cal.)

DE Vernon Jackson - Texas A&M (Last visit mojo for the Aggies on a kid that is probably pretty comfortable in an East Texas locale.)

DE Joseph Ossai - Texas (Mark it, Donny.)

DT Keondre Coburn - Texas (Relax.)

DT Moro Ojomo - Texas (Just a hunch.)

LB Andrew Parker - Texas (His interview with Suchomel checked all of the boxes.

Tommy Bush is the one kid that I'm not sure about. I'm not sure what to think about him, but the smart money is that he goes elsewhere.

No. 3 – The elephant in the room ...
EmjzjdP.jpg

Tom Herman's press conference on Wednesday is going to be much-watch theater.

The Texas head coach hasn't talked with the media since the bowl game or the Herb Hand hire.

Inquiring minds are going to want to know what the hell his vision is for the offense and his arranging of his staff.

Is he calling plays? Does he expect any more staff changes? Is the only change that is taking place is that Hand will help Tim Beck with game-calling from the booth, but Beck will still generally be in charge of the offense? How much confidence does he have in Derek Warehime after viewing his area as the most in need of help and then kicking him out to tight ends?

Honestly, the list of questions that might be asked is quite long.

I'm curious ... if you could ask Tom Herman one question, and one question only, what would you ask him?

My question?

"Tom, can you please discuss what you believe the addition of Herb Hand will bring to the offense, especially on game days, and can you discuss the overall state of your offensive coaching staff and the hierarchy within. Please feel free to include what role you believe you'll play as well."

No. 4 – Looking good, Billy Ray! Feeling good, Louis …

In my view, there's no way this kid isn't playing for Texas. No offense to Michigan or anyone else, but this one just feels like Texas all the way.

No. 5 - Story time with Uncle Ketch ...

I tried this once before in this column, but it didn't seem to gain any traction as far as I could tell as a popular element within the column, so I ditched it. However, my best stories of the past always seem to be a hit in podcast or discussion form.

So, for the next month, I'm going to dip into the memory-bag and give you guys a favorite story of mine each week in this column. If it's popular, I'll keep doing it throughout the off-season.

I will protect the innocent when I feel like they might want to be corrected, such as this particular story.

Many of you will remember the infamous Albert Hollis/DJ Williams official visit weekend back in December of 1999. I'll probably tell quite a few stories from this weekend in the future because there are a million stories that became of it, but I want to focus on what happened at the very end of the night.

Let me paint the scene ... As far as wild nights, this one ranks up there. At this point in the evening, Williams and Hollis were lost by themselves downtown, unable to locate their hotel. It had been an hour since most of the bars had closed, but the dancing at one particular club had continued until I finally hung up my cleats and left at around 3 a.m.

I was walking with another reporter, who was in town for the weekend, when we came across a young Texas football player in the middle of the street.

This particular player had been known in high school as a very, very religious person, the kind of kid that goes bowling on his official visit.

Yet, in this moment he was shirtless and had seemingly enjoyed too many Shirley Temples. No one was with him ... it was just him in the street kind of muttering to himself. Then ... out of nowhere, he turns his attention to a policeman riding his horse.

"I'll block any mo********er in the country!" he screams in the direction of the horse.

The horse didn't move. The cop said nothing. The young player then turned in a different direction and walked off and I just stood there with my friend in wonderment.

After all these years, it's still the funniest thing I've ever witnessed in a lifetime of going downtown in Austin.

The end.

No. 6 – UT Hoops ...

Just three quick thoughts on a massive win over the Sooners on Saturday:

a. Good for this group of guys. It deserved to have a moment of pure exhilaration after everything the team has been through and it was awesome to see all of those young guys feed off of the energy in the Erwin Center. Like I said, you'd bottle all of that up if you could.

b. I can't believe the people that were piling on Matt Coleman earlier in the week. Missed free throws and fouling out in Lubbock be damned, this kid is evolving into the kind of player that will be a first-team all-Big 12 player in a year or two. As far as I'm concerned, he is absolutely living up to the expectations placed on him and he's doing it all while growing up in the grind of a brutal Big 12. Freshmen are gonna freshmen on occasion, but if you can't see this rose blooming in front of all of us, you either don't want to see or you just can't. It's happening.

c. Texas can't enjoy the OU win for too long because all it did last week was hold serve in its quest to finish this season where it needs to. A very dangerous Kansas State team comes to town on Wednesday and a trip to Fort Worth awaits on the weekend. Texas needs to come out of that two-game stretch with a win, by any means.

Wednesday night is almost as big as Saturday night.

No. 7 – Buy or Sell …
buy-or-sell-stock-ideas-by-experts-for-december-20-2017.jpg

BUY or SELL: Top 3 class?

(Buy) I think so. The commitment from Moore certainly helps.

BUY or SELL: National Signing Day will see a major surprise?

(Sell) The only thing that would represent a real surprise in my mind is Jaylen Waddle signing with the Longhorns and I just don't think that's going to happen. There's very little that's happened that is pointing in UT's direction.

BUY or SELL: With the early signing period now, middle tier recruits receive attention and offers that they wouldn't have received otherwise due to a shrunken pool of talent and players?

(Buy) If the volume of early signings in December remains the same or climbs, it eliminates a lot of the middle-class options that used to sit on a platter for a school like Texas. The P.J. Locke's of 2018 might have already signed with Oregon before Texas ever decides it wants to offer. I would imagine Tom Herman and his staff surely learned some lessons this year that they'll adjust to in the future.

BUY or SELL: At least three signees don’t make it to fall with bad grades/ACT/SAT?

(Sell) I don't think this will be nearly that big of an issue. There's no Devonaire Clarington in this class.

BUY or SELL: Someone other than Anthony Wheeler will start at MLB in 2018?

(Buy) That's Gary Johnson's job in my mind. I'm still not sold that Wheeler is a full-time starter at this level.

BUY or SELL: CDC, given time, will be able to fully optimize the portfolio of assets (i.e., brand, alumni base, facilities, $, etc.) available to him?

(Buy) I'm acquiring CDC stock ... as much as I can. I'm a fan.

No. 8 – My life as an NFL fan has changed forever…

Please, don't ask for any commentary. As bad as the last two decades have been as a Dallas Cowboys fan, I've always been able to take solace in the fact that no matter how bad life has been as a fan of a team Jerry Jones owns, the Philadelphia Eagles had never won a Super Bowl.

It's one of the few things as a sports fan I took gigantic glee in.

That truth is no longer a truth.

I'm not ready to talk about it. I'm going to be in denial for a while.

No. 9 – Eternal Randomness of the Spotty Sports Mind …

... J.T. was alright. Nothing I'll remember for the rest of my life, great or terrible. My three-year was very happy about the Trolls song being included.

... I didn't really have a beef with any of those announced on Saturday inside the next class of NFL Hall of Famers. I hate that Everson Walls didn't come within a 100-foot pole of getting in, but outside of that one personal ax to grind, the guys that got in deserved to get in. No Jerome Bettis in this group.

... The Warriors look like a team that is mentally crawling to the All-Star break. It'll be fascinating to see how much juice is left in the tank in May and June.

... The Cavs are still going to the NBA Finals ... right?

... The Tex Pimp of England.

... Mo Salah is incredible and I hate EPL refs. Liverpool had one stolen from them on Sunday.

No. 10 – And Finally …

Just wanted to take the final words of the column and use them to wish the new Mr. and Mrs. Richardson a lifetime of happiness as they begin this new chapter in their lives.

Your harsh stance on Eagles is bizzare. Eagles live rent free in your head. Who cares we won get over it.

Reactions: whbroman
Congratulations Anwar. After seeing the picture of your beautiful bride I will not say you out kicked your coverage (I loved the Aussie comment). I will say you must have more game than I realized. =)roll
ALL THE BEST!!!

Reactions: Anwar Richardson
Rig the class closes out as you've predicted, some of the doubt about the football program will likely pass, that will be one hell of a class.

Man, it would be interesting to see how many fewer posts there were on this site if you excluded those just posting to be critical of others... I've never understood the delight some seem to take in that.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT