ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From The Weekend (Making a few bold predictions...)

Your receiver list has major recency bias. I get it - the way the rules are now, the stats support it. I wonder, though, how a guy like Stallworth, or Allworth, or Pearson (etc etc) would fare today? Or how today’s guys would fare in a league where Tatum was waiting for you over the middle?

Somuch emphasis on modern players. Lance Alworth? Don Hutson? EVERYONE has thenm in Top 10 and Hutson is consensus 2 behind Rice.

And I just dont see Irvin as Top 10. That‘s a bit of a homer pick. A guy who didnt score near enough touchdowns and so benefitted from defenses having to focus on a top 5 all time RB. Heck Gil Brandt doesnt even have Irvin in Top 20.

Hell yes! This is no small feat and we did it. I don’t have an exact count but between straight up cash donations and auction purchases about 100 people did this thing and did it well. Special shout out to @joeywa for having the vision, helluva vision as Captain Call would say. And @Ketchum put a ton of hours into designing, running and mailing out auction items.

One cool note is that our own @echeese and CDC both signed the fund agreement. The one and only JimsTexas will live on in perpetuity.

None of this happens without your hard work.

@Ketchum Is it as simple as Texas is obviously not getting another year of the benefit of the doubt with top recruits, or did Herman salt the earth (unintentionally or intentionally) with his approach?

Does an 8 win season generate enough interest to get top tier recruits to look our way again, or do we need a Shock the Nation type year?

Your receiver list has major recency bias. I get it - the way the rules are now, the stats support it. I wonder, though, how a guy like Stallworth, or Allworth, or Pearson (etc etc) would fare today? Or how today’s guys would fare in a league where Tatum was waiting for you over the middle?
I just don't think the older players are on the level of the athleticism and performance of the players from the last 30-35 years.

Somuch emphasis on modern players. Lance Alworth? Don Hutson? EVERYONE has thenm in Top 10 and Hutson is consensus 2 behind Rice.

And I just dont see Irvin as Top 10. That‘s a bit of a homer pick. A guy who didnt score near enough touchdowns and so benefitted from defenses having to focus on a top 5 all time RB. Heck Gil Brandt doesnt even have Irvin in Top 20.

Who do you think Hutson is better than on this list?

Nice write up!
Name 2 receivers who made bigger catches (in important games) than Drew Pearson & Julian Edelman……

TOP 3!?!?!
Top 5 at worst. I’d put CJ Moss and a rice as only ones that are better.

He had a stretch going on where he couldn’t be guarded. Led the league in receptions with little supporting cast. Ridiculous catch radius and just snagged the ball out of nowhere.

So who do you think we end up with at WR if you had to guess today?
What does our OL class look like when we finish 4 taken and save a spot? We have 2 you predicted one who is the last 1 or 2 we take? @Ketchum

Last edited:
If we get Stewart, losing Thompson to aggy would be tolerable.

no Harris or Anderson is rough country though.
We lose those DB we might have our CB decommit. I sure home not but they are close. So surprised we never have issues at DB but this is a strange year.

If you're saying you can't tell the story of the NFL without including Irvin, then you definitely need to include Max McGee and Lynn Swann. Their touchdown highlights have probably been shown more times that anyone else and it isn't close. Just having a couple decades' head start makes a huge difference. I think those Super Bowl highlights are on infinite loop on some TV stations that we just don't know about (yet). ;)

If you’ve got Evan Thompson to Texas then I guess you’re projecting some improvement on offense.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT