ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From The Weekend (Max Wittek's USC story... ALL of it.)

"Strengths: Wittek has a strong, live arm and can deliver passes to open receivers. He also has a good feel in the pocket and has a good command of the offense. To his credit, Wittek tried to do as much as he could with limited skill players around him."

This post was edited on 4/28 12:07 AM by txnsoul

Really appreciate the insight on WIttek.

I'm not sure he'll provide anything more than just depth for Ash. Let's see what Watson's got. His TD:INT ratio is disheartening.

A Knight's Tale is a very underrated movie.

Sounds to me like our absolute best chance is a healthy Ash - those numbers at USC aren't impressive - especially in his two starts. Ultimately, it sounds to me like those simply could not be ignored when the decision was made for last year's starter at USC.

I hope the kid comes as he would clearly, at this point, be the best alternative behind Ash. If the past is a predictor of the future, at some point, Ash will get injured and we'll need a viable option at QB.

Originally posted by MR. COSELL:
I liked the Georgia kid's (Pat Thomas) film much more than Wittek. I hope he can help us ... no doubt he has a Strong arm, but it's going to take an unbelievable coaching job.

Thomas throws an accurate ball, sees the field well and uses his athleticism when he can...
100% with you Cosell. I'm hoping we are putting the full court press on the GA kid. Are there any updates on him that I have missed?

Re: Clooney. I can name a dozen hotter women that he has had than this one. I guess he decided its time and thats that..... or, he is starting to have ED and wants to lock someone up. Of course there's always the chance that she's just a freak. Never can predict that.

Originally posted by Longhorns8484

Originally posted by Ketchum:

Originally posted by mackbrown:

So Wittek is GG?
Perhaps a poor man's GG at this point. Gilbert won a lot of quarterback battles.
Did he?

Yes, even if the competition was underwhelming at times.

whatever you think of Gilbert, he has been infinitely better than Wittek as a college player thus far.

Posted from wireless.rivals.com[/URL]

Wittek is good for depth purposes only. If he has to play it's going to be another long year

Wittek is a protection signing. Kid is not going to start at UT. I still believe that Heard will be the starter if and when Ash goes down. He is prime time and what makes him even better is his wheels. The kid can run all day and that will help the offense in tight situations. I just do not and would not have taken Wittek

Man, I love this:

ec

Unless Wittek has taken major strides, we don want him as our starter. Pray for Ash's health as he is our best chance to win immediately.

I always wondered why many had Wittek pegged as the "savior" this season. thanks for putting this together. We can only hope a change of scenery will be his own saving grace. But there is a reason why the dude didnt make it at USC and we would be wise not to forget that.

If Case is our benchmark, then we are golden no matter who gets the snaps. Depressing he is even that.

Heard is not out of the question for me either. May the best man win. Period.

This is what happens when you don't recruit, retain and develop quality depth at QB. CS has to plan for Ash not being able to complete the season. Mack had to plan for the same thing, and Mack's answer was to count on Swoopes and an incoming Freshmen.

Wittek has potential. We need depth. Can Wittek be better than a healthy Ash? Who knows. He will be better than an Ash that can't play. Will he be better than Heard? Who knows, but I do know that it would be best if Heard was able to RS. However, he might not have that luxury (and you can thank MB for that, not CS).

Regarding Pat Thomas, I thought he looked very good on film. However, most people do not know that he's coming off of February ACL surgery.

"Thomas is currently rehabbing from February surgery on a torn anterior
cruciate ligament in a knee, but he thinks he'll be back for fall
camp. He said he passed a physical at U of L while he was on his visit."

http://www.courier-journal.com/story/recruiting/2014/04/24/pat-thomas-signs-with-louisville/8114817/

ACL surgeries used to often signal the end of careers. Then it became a surgery one could recover from in over a year. Now recovery can be as short as 6 months. Still, obviously better if you are not coming off of surgery. However, moot point for UT now that he choose Louisville.

So....pray like heck that Ash can remain healthy and that Wittek can reach his potential, thus allowing for Heard and Swoopes to RS.

Originally posted by Hornius Emeritus:
Ketch , the Wittek recap is outstanding, among the best things you've ever written.

I hope he chooses Texas. He stands a good chance of playing, I think.
HE, I thought Ketch's take was outstanding as well.

I still hope he chooses Texas, but to me, the facts don't say, "He stands a good chance of playing."

Rather, they scream, from High School on, this guy has been a strong-armed, over-rated, interception machine who lacks the moxie to truly be an effective quarterback.

Perhaps Watson can turn him into something he's never been, and for that possibility and just his body, I'm willing to take him. But if he gets handed the job simply by default or injury, I fear we will seek quarterbacking about as effective as last year's.

We need Wittek even if he never plays a down here.

The depth is an absolute necessity given the injury prone situation for Ash, and the lack of experience for Swoopes and Heard.

Hook em

Ketch, I also thought your Wittek break down was one of the best and most interesting/helpful breakdowns you've written. Appreciated.

As for Clooney, could it be possible that there really is a limit to the hot, hot ass a guy can handle?

Lists needed (in addition to the metal ones I have previously listed): The Smiths, The Cure, New Order, Depeche Mode, Morrissey, Petshop Boys, Erasure, Duran Duran, Talking Heads, etc.

Originally posted by mackbrown:

So Wittek is GG?
GG looked awesome in High School.

Wittek, according to the reports of the games scouted in Ketch's article, not so much.

One of Ketch's comments above says an awful lot:

Case's QBR is better than Wittek's. Ouch!

I'd much rather redshirt him, but unless Wittek has had a brain transplant, I actually think Swoopes offers more upside for this season than Wittek. He seems to offer better run options, and with very little data to go on, he doesn't seem to have the false confidence to repeatedly force the kind of throws that lead to interceptions.

That Wittek was not able to win a QB battle at SC is disturbing.

However, I wouldn't read a ton into his stats from 2 starts that he made. ND had a great defense that year, and the entire team failed to show up for that bowl game. Doesn't mean that his performance should be summarily dismissed, but those numbers tells us less about him as a player than the rest of the details IMO. That SC team was dysfunctional and not that good in 2012.

Ketch, the Wittek report was your finest work ever. Well done.

My take is different than those on this thread. I think Wittek starts for Texas this year.

Was dying for a piece like that on Wittek. Thanks. For me, it speaks of a guy desperately in need of development which he's never received and consistent reps to find out if he's more than a Jag with physical tools.

As a Mavs fan, I'm obviously thrilled and surprised at the series thus far. This is really all I could have expected and provides hope for a great finish. Man, the west is B-R-U-T-A-L.

Thanks for the Wittek breakdown. If he comes here, I don't know if he will beat out Ash, but what I do know is that Ash has not been good enough at QB to where he does not need serious competition, and he does NOT have that right now with Swoopes. Once Wittek and Heard arrive, more will be expected out of the QB position than we have had in a while.

Kiffin created a hot mess at USC, so I am hoping that under better coaching Wittek is able to revamp his career much like GG did. At this point I think any hope of him living up to his high school ranking is gone, but he can come in and be a quality player.

GG ended his career at SMU in a very positive fashion. He wasn't an all world player, nor anything close to what you expect from a 5 star player. If GG never originally signed with Texas, last year there would have been thousands of "why didn't we recruit GG threads"

ADVERTISEMENT