ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (More talented than the team that got Mack fired?...)

I think you give Ou too much credit always, but especially this year. We should beat them this year. We have better players. But you seem to put them on a pedestal when our games with them have been very close and competitive.
what is UT's record against OU in the last three years under Herman.

how many conference titles has OU win in a row?

Just to be clear, Texas was down by two touchdowns with five minutes to go in last year's game, right?

I'm going to need you define what very close is because like the LSU game a year ago, I think Texas fans romance the shit out of losses.

Reactions: Rickstacopy
LOL. Yes, the numbers are screaming at me. the '12 group with 3 guys totaled 2k yds & 25 TDs. The '19 guys with 2 guys totaled less than 100 fewer yds, and 18 TDs. And now it's adding a 5-star RB. They are screaming. Pretty sure you aren't listening.
You're sorta spiraling out of control now with all sorts of ifs, and butts.
You are ignoring that the 2013 group also had a five-star returning to it in Malcolm Brown with regards to being healthy... yanno... the best player in the 2013 group.

But, is this one of those things?
Did Penders tell his secretary to fax one of his player's grades (Luke Axtell) to Bill Schoening at KVET to get even with Axtel, or at least harm him, then deny any involvement, then let his friend and assistant Eddie Oran take the blame for this? That's my recollection. If so, then yes that is hard to forgive.

Last edited:
I've heard that Penders had a habit of drunk dialing his players and critiquing their games, sometimes on long voicemails.

Did Penders tell his secretary to fax one of his player's grades (Luke Axtell) to Bill Schoening at KVET to get even with Axtel, or at least harm him, then deny any involvement, then let his friend and assistant Eddie Oran take the blame for this? That's my recollection. If so, then yes that is hard to forgive.
Hard, no doubt.

20 years = hard.

more than that feels like a b it of a life sentence. Is that set of actions worth that?

I don't feel like it. At some point, I think moving on if possible isn't an awful idea.

I don't see how the 2020 team could be compared yet with out playing any games. You basis is on 2019 numbers which is a different team

I don't see how the 2020 team could be compared yet with out playing any games. You basis is on 2019 numbers which is a different team
I'm comparing the 2020 team compared to those teams based on how we viewed those position groups COMING INTO THOSE SEASONS.

I'm not comparing the 2020 team versus those year's actual productivity.

I think you give Ou too much credit always, but especially this year. We should beat them this year. We have better players. But you seem to put them on a pedestal when our games with them have been very close and competitive. Last year Sam threw three passes that hit receivers in the hands, any one of which would have been a TD or very close. If play makers had made plays we would have won that game. Two years before we lost by a TD when Kris Boyd failed to either catch or deflect a ball that was thrown right to him that, instead, went for a TD. These games were close, competitive, and turned, not on dominance by Ou, but a couple of plays that went their way. They are not unbeatable as shown by their pathetic performance against LSU.

It's not that I don't understand that they have had the upper hand during the last few years when Texas football has been at an all time low. It is that I don't expect us to stay at our lowest point continually.
Sam was sacked 8 times. They replaced 4/5 O lineman and we never got to Jalen.

Hard, no doubt.

20 years = hard.

more than that feels like a b it of a life sentence. Is that set of actions worth that?

I don't feel like it. At some point, I think moving on if possible isn't an awful idea.
Has he apologized?

I have to think things have been made good before this step could be taken.
I don’t want to beat this to death. I just think he threw two subordinates, presumably his friends, Eddie Oran and his own secretary under the bus to try to save himself but I haven’t thought much about it or looked into it since it happened. We can just disagree on this.

Hard, no doubt.

20 years = hard.

What I saw---with my own eyes---was worse than any of this. Penders was not a good representative of the University. Leave it there.

I don’t want to beat this to death. I just think he threw two subordinates, presumably his friends, Eddie Oran and his own secretary under the bus to try to save himself but I haven’t thought much about it or looked into it since it happened. We can just disagree on this.
I just haven't had it explained to me what the statute of limitations on something like that is.

I agree that was a shitty thing to do and I was as close to anyone to it, considering Eddie Oran gave our station an exclusive interview... TWICE.

I suppose it would come down to Oran's feelings on this. I can't say I know if Tom has ever come correct.

What I saw---with my own eyes---was worse than any of this. Penders was not a good representative of the University. Leave it there.
I'd guess you didn't see more than me. It would be hard to. I was in it. But, it's been 20+ years.

what is UT's record against OU in the last three years under Herman.

how many conference titles has OU win in a row?

Just to be clear, Texas was down by two touchdowns with five minutes to go in last year's game, right?

I'm going to need you define what very close is because like the LSU game a year ago, I think Texas fans romance the shit out of losses.

Sorry, but I respectfully disagree with your view point that Texas has not been competitive in the last three RRS against Ou. One turned on Kris' failure to make a play that he clearly should have made. Last year's was less competitive, but Sam threw three balls that should have been caught, any or all of which would either have been touchdowns or close.

The LSU game would have been tied at the time had Keontay simply caught a ball that was lobbed to him. The 3d and 17 blitz almost certainly cost the TD that was the slim difference in the game.

Close games are those decided by a play or two that one team makes and the other fails to make. All three of those games went the other teams' way because they made the game winning plays. But the difference in those three games we lost was only three TDs total. Our guys played hard and were competitive in each of those games.

I still don't know that I've fully had it explained to me how long the Penders sentence was supposed to last.

We've seen other school completely disassociate themselves from players, only to welcome them back with open arms eventually.

Bobby Knight went back to Indiana.

Reggie Bush went back to USC.

Two decades seems long enough.

Sorry, but I respectfully disagree with your view point that Texas has not been competitive in the last three RRS against Ou. .
I didn't say they weren't competitive.

That's a misnomer.

Reactions: wfoot
ADVERTISEMENT