ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (My annual Groundhog Day column...)

Agree re: qb play overall but Sam's future success is not solely on TH. It's more on Sam.
Agree re: Everson Walls
Agree re: Aston. She RECRUITS, but her bigs don't hold up against the bigs of elite teams. See Baylor and Tennessee games. But agree that she needs results and SOON.

This type of story line is getting real old. True but old. As of now once again Texas still doesn’t have an proven above average QB to rely on.

I realize that the QB is the key position but I cannot remember a strong position group in that time period from 2010. No TEs, poor OL for the most part. Adequate WRs and RBs for the most part.

Colt got to start his career off as a redshirt freshman with an experienced and good OL and he looked great. Next year he went backwards because many of the good OL graduated. Next year he was sensational while relying on two great WRs in Cosby and Shipley. His senior year Colt looked average at times because of poor OL play and no running game. He still put the team on his shoulders and nearly won a MNC.

The chances of getting another QB that can pull off what Colt did with his surrounding teammates is going to be like winning the lottery. I guarantee Baker Mayfield does not get that 2009 Texas team to the MNC game without an OL and running game. The other position groups need to get better also. That is what is so frustrating because you cannot tell if the poor position play is effected by others because they are all poor or just adequate.

WBB actually beat Iowa State by 32 Saturday. But you are right that it doesn’t matter. Baylor is an awful matchup for Texas and I have been concerned about post play since before the season started. Texas needs Joyner Holmes to continue working herself back into shape and more minutes. Similarly White has hardly played for two season before this one and is still improving. But against Baylor Texas will never have an advantage inside this season. This team will go as far as the guards can take them. They might have the best set of three guards in the country. But they didn’t play like that Thursday. Baylor is still in their heads and I thought they were past that issue. Still a fun team to watch. I’m hoping they find their stride at just the right time.

Last edited:
Best Picture

1. Lady Bird
2. The Shape of Water
3. Darkest Hour
4. Get Out
5. I, Tonya
6. The Post
7. The Disaster Artist
8. Three Billboards outside Ebbing, Missouri
9. Dunkirk

I saw Shape of Water today and I wanted to love it. Pan's Labyrinth is in my personal top 5 of all time.

I don't know what to make of it. Aspects of it were fantastic, namely the acting and visuals. However, call me old fashioned, but I'm the type of fellow who thinks fish should fu*k fish and people should fu*k people.

The interspecies romance was just too distracting for me.

I honestly think so. What they did to Minnesota was surprising.

But then again I thought Atlanta had them for the same reasons you mentioned, so what do I know.
Minnesota ain't Tom Brady and the Hoodie.

Agree re: qb play overall but Sam's future success is not solely on TH. It's more on Sam.
Agree re: Everson Walls
Agree re: Aston. She RECRUITS, but her bigs don't hold up against the bigs of elite teams. See Baylor and Tennessee games. But agree that she needs results and SOON.
it's on both. Herman's future at Texas may rest on it, so it needs to be a chief piece of focus.

I realize that the QB is the key position but I cannot remember a strong position group in that time period from 2010. No TEs, poor OL for the most part. Adequate WRs and RBs for the most part.

Colt got to start his career off as a redshirt freshman with an experienced and good OL and he looked great. Next year he went backwards because many of the good OL graduated. Next year he was sensational while relying on two great WRs in Cosby and Shipley. His senior year Colt looked average at times because of poor OL play and no running game. He still put the team on his shoulders and nearly won a MNC.

The chances of getting another QB that can pull off what Colt did with his surrounding teammates is going to be like winning the lottery. I guarantee Baker Mayfield does not get that 2009 Texas team to the MNC game without an OL and running game. The other position groups need to get better also. That is what is so frustrating because you cannot tell if the poor position play is effected by others because they are all poor or just adequate.
Texas would take Chance Mock in a hurry. Forget about Colt.

Ketch. You thought the Post was better than 3 Billboards? You gotta try watching movies at a theater that doesn't serve alcohol.
3 Billboards doesn't stick the ending.

Wait, you are asserting The Post is better than 3 Billboards? Hell, The Post is good but not as good as I,Tonya - much less 3 billboards. Good lord. I mean, I liked it and Streep was almost as good as Frances, but neither she nor the Post is getting the statue this year.

And amen to everything you said about QB.

Reactions: dlbyers
I got every game of the college football playoff correct...

lol yeah not the same thing. Did you ever think Eagles would make it to the Super Bowl after Wentz went down? Yeah I didn’t think so.

Didn't the Texas women BB team beat Baylor in Wacko last year?? If so, you have to give a little credit to them for doing that. They just couldn't hit shots worth a crap the other day there.

Reactions: Rotarran9116
To increase his accuracy and rating, Sam needs to: (1) anticipate better and throw the ball earlier on his short and medium routes...way too many late throws, to the sideline especially, and (2) get some touch on his long ball...he was all over the place on the deep throws...short, long, out of bounds.

He has the tools...just needs repitition and coaching (and a little more time in the pocket won’t hurt).

Reactions: DrHorn98
Texas would take Chance Mock in a hurry. Forget about Colt.

I would take a Chance Mock too but put a true freshman Mock or Mayfield on last years team and you probably get the same results. Even if Sam takes the next step this season Texas will probably only improve a few games if the rest of his teammates don’t improve also. Texas keeps putting young freshmen QBs in and tell them to carry the team with nothing but mediocrity surrounding them.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT