ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (Not even The Rona changes expectations for Herman...)

(Sell) I think the cancellation of that game is a win for Texas.

Yep. The amount of cockiness of some on this board that we were going to walk into BR and kick LSU's butt is rather humorous.

Reactions: dtarver
Manhunter was not a made for TV movie.

Michael Mann directed the first Hannibal Lecter movie.

It's debateable at best that it's a sequel. I mean, what makes it any more of a sequel than Patriot Games and Clear and Present Danger?

It's debateable at best that it's a sequel. I mean, what makes it any more of a sequel than Patriot Games and Clear and Present Danger?
Those movies are sequels as well.

117248949_296240431646764_5954220594503749382_n.jpg

Sorry Mensa. You don't get paid nearly $6mil for "gray." There's plenty of softer jobs that will pay much less for "gray" if you feel like looking around.
I wish he'd stop saying that the local media at Texas is harder on the program than anywhere else in the country or anywhere else he's been.

I can assure him the heat in the kitchen gets much hotter than he's seen if he think he's been treated harsher than say the people in Ohio tear the Ohio State coach.

I'm hard pressed to find sequels better than Godfather II and Empire. I mean, arguably both are better than their respective predecessors, both of which are cinematic masterpieces.

At some point isn't it just splitting hairs?
Sure, but the question isn't whether they live in similar area codes... it's that some are claiming he's the most talented/best quarterback talent OU has ever had.

We're quibbling over words, which is fine because no one specializes in it more than me. :)

I get what you're saying. I suppose I come from a place where something so subjective doesn't need its subjectiveness called out, if that makes sense.

As you said, the game will never be played and we all have different opinions of what would have happened in that game. Personally, I never thought Texas would win in Death Valley. I have found the confidence going into that game somewhat naive, based on the smoke and mirrors of a one-game sample size between these two teams in Austin that was probably on the low end of what LSU proved capable of as a team and somewhat on the high end of what Texas was capable of.

Obviously, those are just opinions, but in the face of a strong exception, an opinion can be a form of real talk, which is what I was going for.

They can’t win in Fort Worth, Waco, and Ames for Christ sake...and now they’re going to win in Baton Rouge? lol

One less ass whippin is fine by me.

They can’t win in Fort Worth, Waco, and Ames for Christ sake...and now they’re going to win in Baton Rouge? lol

One less ass whippin is fine by me.
Memories are short AND long around here, depending on the subject material. :)

Is Mike Yurcich better than Tim Beck? Beck was a figurehead as OC. We all know that Tom was running the offense. Beck's job was to catch the knives being thrown at Tom. How much autonomy is he going to have at Texas? Why wasn't he calling plays at Ohio State? How much rope did the Mullet give him at Okie State? He may talk a big game, but how successful he is will come down to the talent on the field and the amount of autonomy he's given.

When I was growing up you measured a season's success as follows: Beat your rival, win the conference and win the bowl game. In the past ten years Texas has played for the conference title twice and lost both times. In the past ten years Texas has had 4 losing seasons along with a 7-6 season. Texas has one major bowl victory. That is a decade of failure - no matter how you want to define it or what word you'd rather use to describe it.

Do you think OU would consider a season a success if they failed to play for the conference title? Doubt it. But we are now so programmed to being second-best to OU that we can call a season a success when we aren't playing for the conference title. We are so conditioned to falling short that folks are still acting like Aggy and looking at the LSU game as a moral victory.

Is Mike Yurcich better than Tim Beck? Beck was a figurehead as OC. We all know that Tom was running the offense. Beck's job was to catch the knives being thrown at Tom. How much autonomy is he going to have at Texas? Why wasn't he calling plays at Ohio State? How much rope did the Mullet give him at Okie State? He may talk a big game, but how successful he is will come down to the talent on the field and the amount of autonomy he's given.

When I was growing up you measured a season's success as follows: Beat your rival, win the conference and win the bowl game. In the past ten years Texas has played for the conference title twice and lost both times. In the past ten years Texas has had 4 losing seasons along with a 7-6 season. Texas has one major bowl victory. That is a decade of failure - no matter how you want to define it or what word you'd rather use to describe it.

Do you think OU would consider a season a success if they failed to play for the conference title? Doubt it. But we are now so programmed to being second-best to OU that we can call a season a success when we aren't playing for the conference title. We are so conditioned to falling short that folks are still acting like Aggy and looking at the LSU game as a moral victory.
a. Yes, I 100-percent believe Yurcich clears the very low bar that is Tim Beck.

b. He did not call plays at Ohio State because head coach Ryan Day calls the plays.

c. I think he'll have a lot of control because Herman wants him to have the control. 180-degree turn from Ohio State.

d. Agree on the decade of failure remark. 100-percent.

e. OU would view any season without a Big 12 title as a disappointment. They don't often get disappointed.

f. Pretty much in full agreement with you.

While I haven't seen the amount of "we'll kick their ass" re LSU that RL and Ketch have seen, that's certainly a winnable game that would not have had but a limited crowd, which is a big deal playing in Baton Rouge.

We also have the better QB, by a bunch. We have 5th year starter Sam Elhinger, hopefully healthy w/o a rib problem. They have Myles Brennan, who did nothing but play mop up the last two years, and not only did they lose Burrow, they lost 14 starters to the NFL draft while we have the most experienced and most talented team since Herman got here. They also had a starting OL (one of only 2 OL starters returning) quit football recently. Going to be an awfully young team with an inexperienced starter at QB. They have two stars coming back...CB Derek Stingley Jr and WR Ja'marr Chase. The rest of their star buddies are already in the NFL about to go to camp.

We clearly have better coaching than last year with Yurcich and Ash.

Bottom line, I think it would have, should have, been a great game that we had a legitimate chance to win. Not saying we would have or that they won't be very good, but they will be very young compared to last year. I could see them dropping two games easily, maybe 3 now that it's only conference (though I have no idea which extra SEC teams they will get). I think their best months will be November and December for obvious reasons.

Anyone who said or thinks it would be easy or a route for the good guys is just being silly, but writing us off would be a bit silly as well, especially with their QB having no spring or summer to work with the team or his WRs for the first time and no sell out crowd for their normal home field advantage in
Baton Rouge.

I think it would have been a helluva game. It was last year, and we are a better team with more experience and (drum roll) one of the best QBs in Texas history playing as a Sr. I don't know what LSU will be in December, but in September they will be a very talented but very young team with an inexperienced new starter following one of the best ever in college football. I think the Vegas spread would have been very close.

Was really hoping that game would stick. Now it's all talk and no game.:( :confused:

JMO...and we all have one.

They have two stars coming back...CB Derek Stingley Jr and WR Ja'marr Chase.

LSU has possibly 4 first-rounders for '21:
Chase
DT Shelvin
Marshall
S Stevens

That doesn't include Jabril Cox who transferred in from NDSU after a stellar 3 years there, and who many think could get into round 1 with a good season at LSU.

While I haven't seen the amount of "we'll kick their ass" re LSU that RL and Ketch have seen, that's certainly a winnable game that would not have had but a limited crowd, which is a big deal playing in Baton Rouge.

We also have the better QB, by a bunch. We have 5th year starter Sam Elhinger, hopefully healthy w/o a rib problem. They have Myles Brennan, who did nothing but play mop up the last two years, and not only did they lose Burrow, they lost 14 starters to the NFL draft while we have the most experienced and most talented team since Herman got here. They also had a starting OL (one of only 2 OL starters returning) quit football recently. Going to be an awfully young team with an inexperienced starter at QB. They have two stars coming back...CB Derek Stingley Jr and WR Ja'marr Chase. The rest of their star buddies are already in the NFL about to go to camp.

We clearly have better coaching than last year with Yurcich and Ash.

Bottom line, I think it would have, should have, been a great game that we had a legitimate chance to win. Not saying we would have or that they won't be very good, but they will be very young compared to last year. I could see them dropping two games easily, maybe 3 now that it's only conference (though I have no idea which extra SEC teams they will get). I think their best months will be November and December for obvious reasons.

Anyone who said or thinks it would be easy or a route for the good guys is just being silly, but writing us off would be a bit silly as well, especially with their QB having no spring or summer to work with the team or his WRs for the first time and no sell out crowd for their normal home field advantage in
Baton Rouge.

I think it would have been a helluva game. It was last year, and we are a better team with more experience and (drum roll) one of the best QBs in Texas history playing as a Sr. I don't know what LSU will be in December, but in September they will be a very talented but very young team with an inexperienced new starter following one of the best ever in college football. I think the Vegas spread would have been very close.

Was really hoping that game would stick. Now it's all talk and no game.:( :confused:

JMO...and we all have one.
Your framing of Texas and your framing of LSU seems to come from particular angle and one particular angle, only.

From a Sunday Pulpit from earlier this season.

However, Texas has the Big 12’s worst winning percentage against non-conference opponents since 2013.

Here are the rankings I compiled:

Oklahoma 19-2 (90 percent)
Oklahoma State 19-2 (90 percent)
Baylor 17-4 (81 percent)
TCU 17-4 (81 percent)
Texas Tech 17-4 (81 percent)
Kansas State 16-5 (76 percent)
West Virginia 16-5 (76 percent)
Kansas 12-9 (57 percent)
Iowa State 11-10 (52 percent)
Texas 10-11 (48 percent)

Since 2013, Texas is 2-10 against non-conference Power Five opponents.

2013 – L. Ole Miss (44-23)
2014 – L. BYU (41-7), L. UCLA (20-17)
2015 – L. Notre Dame (38-3), L. Cal (45-44)
2016 – W. Notre Dame (50-47), L. Cal (50-43)
2017 – L. Maryland (51-41), L. USC (27-24 2 OTs)
2018 – L. Maryland (34-29), W. USC (37-14)
2019 – L. LSU (45-38)
Total: 2-10

Your framing of Texas and your framing of LSU seems to come from particular angle and one particular angle, only.

Much of what I wrote was simply factual stuff. I expected us to disagree with the opinion part. It's all talk since there will be no game, but it was very close last year and we should be significantly more experienced and better with a healthy Sr QB shooting for the record books.

They will not have the best college QB in perhaps decades in college and far less than 14 draft picks on their team (5 in 1st rd), including an inexperienced QB who had no spring or time to learn his WRs or a new OC. We would have played in September. Both teams have changed O coordinators. We're the more experienced of the two teams unlike last year.

I'll leave it at those facts, and agree to disagree on the rest. Your welcome to the last word, as I simply disagree with the certitude you used re LSU winning. I never said we definitely would win, I said it should be a battle as we have the set up of facts and circumstances to win that we didn't have last year when it wound up a one score game we clearly had a chance to win. They would not have had a stadium full of drunk and loud Cajuns screaming at us. Last year was a classic and they had Burrow. This year LSU starts a two year back up QB who has proven nothing. Huge win in the QB match up.

I think, based on the facts, that it's a little silly to say either team, under this year's circumstances, would definitely win. I read your argument...just disagree with it.

Worst part is we will never know who would have won, unlike last year which was a classic.

Last edited:
From a Sunday Pulpit from earlier this season.

However, Texas has the Big 12’s worst winning percentage against non-conference opponents since 2013.

Here are the rankings I compiled:

Oklahoma 19-2 (90 percent)
Oklahoma State 19-2 (90 percent)
Baylor 17-4 (81 percent)
TCU 17-4 (81 percent)
Texas Tech 17-4 (81 percent)
Kansas State 16-5 (76 percent)
West Virginia 16-5 (76 percent)
Kansas 12-9 (57 percent)
Iowa State 11-10 (52 percent)
Texas 10-11 (48 percent)

Since 2013, Texas is 2-10 against non-conference Power Five opponents.

2013 – L. Ole Miss (44-23)
2014 – L. BYU (41-7), L. UCLA (20-17)
2015 – L. Notre Dame (38-3), L. Cal (45-44)
2016 – W. Notre Dame (50-47), L. Cal (50-43)
2017 – L. Maryland (51-41), L. USC (27-24 2 OTs)
2018 – L. Maryland (34-29), W. USC (37-14)
2019 – L. LSU (45-38)
Total: 2-10

OUCH.

ADVERTISEMENT