ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (On this team, redemption is spelled B-O-Y-D...)

Enjoyed the read Ketch, especially about Ced. Has anyone noticed the tower is leaning?
DZLWxDoX4AAHhgM.jpg

Reactions: Cure4BizCancer
... In his final game as a college player, Duke’s Grayson Allen had a chance for the Jimmy Chitwood moment, a jump shot in the final seconds to send his team to the Final Four ... and the ball hit every part of the rim but the bottom of it. Man, he's going to dream about that shot for the rest of his life.

Karma for tripping folks?

Got to have a good QB, and good OC to have any realistic shot at Big 12 championship. Well we don’t until one proves himself after 4 games of next season. Even if we have a QB that finally decides to step up then, there is still the question of the OC.

This may sound like bitterness and maybe it is a little bit, but unless I / we actually see it on somewhat of a consistent basis we shouldn’t set our expectations to that high of a level. A decade of this crap is what will get a person here.

I like the hard line Ketch is taking on his buy sell questions. I'm going to need to see results on the field before I predict success.

Fool me once...

Great to see Jason Washington get some love. He is UT’s best recruiter and position coach. I’ve known him since college where we played baseball together and you can’t meet a better person. True story, he introduced me to my wife in college and my first date with her was with Jason and his gf at the time. We went to a Spurs game.

A major Bravo to the swimming and diving team !!!!!! Requires a lot of concentration.

Kris Boyd is a good story, I thought he really stepped up after HH was suspended and played some very solid corner over the last few games. I'm hoping he becomes a consistent lock-down corner for this D in 2018.

Two 1's a 3 and an 11 in the final four - probably not too many people picked that one - last night's game between KU and Duke was a really entertaining.

5-1 is 5-1, pretty damn good start to conference play.

What ER has done at Texas will NEVER be replicated. If it was a story, the editor would tell the writer to stop being ridiculous and try again. Statue and street on campus sound about right to me. The man 2-peated the 4-peat for crying out loud -

He's a much better player than I think you realize.

Kris is a fine player...he's really developed. Sure hoping the brain dead personal fouls are in the past. They will get you beat in a big game that otherwise could/would be won.

Eddie Reese is a living legend. He should get a statue and swimming facility named for him asap.

It says a lot that Eddie Reese's recent accomplishments tend to elicit a "Well, duh!" response from swimming fans all over the country, not just us Longhorns.

He's set the standard for excellence at this school, and he deserves a lot of credit for it.

Congratulations to him and the swimming team on another job very well done!

Good stuff Ketch. Some people on the board are perfect and never make mistakes. I don't understand how you make a mistake every once in a while by putting the wrong name of the baseball opponent.:)

I think we see Sam take over. He seemed more comfortable in the Mizzou game. Plus he is getting majority of the first team reps and is the more vocal one on and off the field.

on the video of Collin Johnson...3 things I liked

1) the catch
2) the coverage by Cook (FR) was really good and it took an all star catch for the completion...he was all over CJ
3) after the catch, CJ was looking and probably taunting Cook a bit....Boyd steps in separates then and says something to CJ (leadership)

JMO

Nice 10 Thoughts ...

I didn't like that QB comment ... both Shane & Sam looking inconsistent in Spring practice where the QB doesn't get mauled when the O line misses a block? That is concerning.

I've seen the comments about Sam being "meh", but I haven't seen anything on Boo. I have actually thought there was a purposeful void in coverage on his performance, it has been so quite. So, surprised by your comments here. Did I miss something? Has there been negative coverage on him this spring, or are you assuming this due to the absence of noise?

No. 2 - There are 4 QB's on campus for the first time in a while. It will sort itself out.
No. 4 - Hill, Boyd haven't happened, but I love the predictions. Kudo's for sticking it out there.
No. 5 - Aston is the best coach on campus not named Reese (jury still out on Pierce). If she has to beat UConn to make the grade, we aren't making the grade. Baylor was good this year. The rope and torches might be premature, but it is the offseason, so I suppose we need the prodding.

on the video of Collin Johnson...3 things I liked

1) the catch
2) the coverage by Cook (FR) was really good and it took an all star catch for the completion...he was all over CJ
3) after the catch, CJ was looking and probably taunting Cook a bit....Boyd steps in separates then and says something to CJ (leadership)

JMO

I'm not sure it was a completion if it's a game.

Aston is essentially Mack Brown circa 2003. Not sure she rises to Mack Brown circa 2004-2009.

A major Bravo to the swimming and diving team !!!!!! Requires a lot of concentration.

Here’s the race where the meet turned for Texas. Haas was the 2x defending champion but Pieroni has crushed his record two days earlier and the team was reeling until Haas put up this soul crushing defeat on Pieroni.

All of the record swims from Florida (and Team USA’s) Caeleb Dressel. In case you’re doubting he competition, the last swim features 4 other 2016 Olympians other than Dressel.

Reactions: lightthetower0510
I didn't say I couldn't see a difference. I said that everyone talks about their strength guy as a hero of sorts in the early stages. His impact hasn't impacted the record at this point.
I actually think he has had an impact. I thought we finished games better last year. Guys weren't exhausted and giving up. Not as many hands on the hips in the 4th quarter. The "legs" talk was real and showed. Do you not agree with that?

I was always a Ced Griffin fan. I’d check Minnesota Vikings stats every Sunday night for years seeing how he did. He was big and athletic and had the right attitude you need to be a CB. It’s a messy, dirty, thankless position. You have to have to be a special type of person to excel at the CB spot.

I also remember one time on 6th street like 3 years ago getting wayyy too drunk. I remembered like 10 total minutes past 10pm that night. But 1 thing I remembered was walking out of a club and bumping into Cedric Griffin. I immediately snap out of it and go “Whoa Cedric Griffin, what’s up man? Can I buy you a drink?” He laughed and said hello and gave each other a bro hug, was very nice to give a drunken fan 90 seconds of his time in the middle of 6th street chaos like that.

As far as Kris Boyd goes he’s been one of my 2-3 favorite players on the team since his freshman 2-a-days. I remember hearing “Freshman Kris Boyd might already be the biggest trash talker on the entire team. Even trash talking the seniors.” Like I said above, that’s what you need/want at the CB position.

He’s awesome, and I’ve been a big fan of his ever since he stepped foot on campus. He’ll have a great year and then he’ll get drafted 13 months from now. Looking forward to watching him this season.
good stuff.

Yep. How many times did we see opposing offenses sucking wind and our defense still hitting them in the mouth. Every time I kept waiting for us to fire out....fold.... They never did. I've never seen anything like that, not with that much time on the field.
so without McKnight, you think this team does work than Strong's final team?

@Ketchum I stopped reading after your first sentence. And here is why... We have disagreed often, but, we agree on this. Ced Griffin was a warrior and one of the most impactful Longhorns that does not get his due, in my opinion, he richly deserves. Absolutely one of my favorite players to step foot on the 40.

We’d damn sure know if he wasn’t around because history would be a little different. He made quite an impression/impact.
You stopped reading after the first sentence because I wrote something you agreed with?

Great to see Jason Washington get some love. He is UT’s best recruiter and position coach. I’ve known him since college where we played baseball together and you can’t meet a better person. True story, he introduced me to my wife in college and my first date with her was with Jason and his gf at the time. We went to a Spurs game.
wow, great story. who did the spurs play?

Kris is a fine player...he's really developed. Sure hoping the brain dead personal fouls are in the past. They will get you beat in a big game that otherwise could/would be won.
It would be nice to see him actually play in a big game.

Reactions: J Tull
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT