ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (On this team, redemption is spelled B-O-Y-D...)

BUY or SELL: You believe I'm a 58 yr old MAN with insecurity issues that stalks high school boys twitter accounts?

Good article overall but what's with this??? There isn't anything better out there?
I usually include the weirdest questions.

No. 5 - Aston is the best coach on campus not named Reese (jury still out on Pierce). If she has to beat UConn to make the grade, we aren't making the grade. Baylor was good this year. The rope and torches might be premature, but it is the offseason, so I suppose we need the prodding.
U.Conn?

Texas doesn't deserve to be in the same sentence as Mississippi State at this point. She's going into year seven and her program has NOT taken a big step. Let's keep it real.

I actually think he has had an impact. I thought we finished games better last year. Guys weren't exhausted and giving up. Not as many hands on the hips in the 4th quarter. The "legs" talk was real and showed. Do you not agree with that?
Sure, he's had an impact, but when the team is 6-6 and losing to Tech at the end of the regular season, I just think hyperbole needs to be muted.

Reactions: Cure4BizCancer
After a few days of practice, that quarterback just doesn't yet exist on this roster and he's likely not going to be found in less than a month.

Never mind.

Onward we go into the coming months without that tiny little detail ironed out ...

Filing this one away until the mid to late-October timeframe.

I have a very bad feeling that the above sentiment will provide a very clear answer for what we’re likely to be seeing on the field and experiencing (in terms of the W/L record) around that time.

Hope I’m proven wrong. \m/

Filing this one away until the mid to late-October timeframe.

I have a very bad feeling that the above sentiment will provide a very clear answer for what we’re likely to be seeing on the field and experiencing (in terms of the W/L record) around that time.

Hope I’m proven wrong. \m/
me too

so without McKnight, you think this team does work than Strong's final team?

Yep. The defense would have run out of gas given the time on the field Beck's unit forced on them. They would have done worse or the same. We are only talking one game here.

Last edited:
Good stuff.

- Kris Boyd proves why adults have to realize some of these are just teenagers, and they are going to make mistakes. He has definitely grow up.

- I don't think we'll know who the starting QB is until the fall. Herman may love Sam, but he hates turnovers.

- Probably can't say enough good things about Jason Washington. He should a guy who gets promoted to defensive coordinator in a few years.

- Yancy McKnight had the guys physically ready last season. Arguably the most loved coach on staff. He gave them a lot of confidence. The swag will come if the team wins consistently, which is on the other coaches.

- You've never seen me drink. Trust me, nobody on this staff can out-drink me. Nobody.

U.Conn?

Texas doesn't deserve to be in the same sentence as Mississippi State at this point. She's going into year seven and her program has NOT taken a big step. Let's keep it real.

You initially compared the program to UConn, not me. She's been here 5 years. After her first year, she's been to the Dance all four years. Sweet 16 twice, Elite 8 once.
Let's keep it real.

tumblr_ok44fyKRma1qmob6ro1_500.gif

Last edited:
Reactions: benflr
Eddie Reese is a living legend. He should get a statue and swimming facility named for him asap.

Amen!
Has ANY college coach in ANY sport enjoyed a record like his:
40 years at TEXAS
14 National Championships
25 Top 2 in Team standings
32 Top 3 in Team standings.

He was also pretty damn good at Auburn before coming here.

You initially compared the program to UConn, not me. She's been here 5 years. After her first year, she's been to the Dance all four years. Sweet 16 twice, Elite 8 once.
Let's keep it real.

tumblr_ok44fyKRma1qmob6ro1_500.gif
No, I compared it to Baylor and this was her sixth season.

I love the story of Boyd. I hope all our fans remember that the next time they run on here to tell us how some kid sucks and the staff is stupid for playing them. After Oklahoma last year nearly everyone quit on Boyd. There was a thread about how they wanted to put a camera on him at practice and people laughed and wondered why he wasn't benched. Happens to more players then just him. We don't often appreciate development or player growth, just want instant all Americans from day one or move on to the next 4 star freshman.

I hate the way we bash our players sometimes on these boards, and guys like Boyd make it easier to root for. Not just because he's playing well, but because his heart was always in a good place, he's always loved Texas, and he has always worked hard to improve his game which he has since day 1. While people were expecting this consistent shut down CB people forget he was a "do it all" type of athlete for Gilmer who didn't have the reps at CB Holton did through HS. It takes time.

Reactions: boernefan
I love the story of Boyd. I hope all our fans remember that the next time they run on here to tell us how some kid sucks and the staff is stupid for playing them. After Oklahoma last year nearly everyone quit on Boyd. There was a thread about how they wanted to put a camera on him at practice and people laughed and wondered why he wasn't benched. Happens to more players then just him. We don't often appreciate development or player growth, just want instant all Americans from day one or move on to the next 4 star freshman.

I hate the way we bash our players sometimes on these boards, and guys like Boyd make it easier to root for. Not just because he's playing well, but because his heart was always in a good place, he's always loved Texas, and he has always worked hard to improve his game which he has since day 1. While people were expecting this consistent shut down CB people forget he was a "do it all" type of athlete for Gilmer who didn't have the reps at CB Holton did through HS. It takes time.
You have to give these kids room and space to grow up as people and develop as players.

The needs of this program have forced many players to be judged before they should have ever rightfully been put on the field.

More like ...
Jnffu0O.gif
In the old days, I would have suckered you into a game of five-star general shots. You would not have outlasted me, based on the make-up of the drinks alone.

Now?

Now I'd be vomiting after a half-dozen.

I didn't say I couldn't see a difference. I said that everyone talks about their strength guy as a hero of sorts in the early stages. His impact hasn't impacted the record at this point.

Agree to disagree. Steps are being taken and they started a year or so ago. This team is growing in the "kick your ass" mindset.

Agree to disagree. Steps are being taken and they started a year or so ago. This team is growing in the "kick your ass" mindset.
I don't disagree.

My point is that everyone says that within the first 18 months of a new strength coach being brought in.

remember the hype with Pat Moorer? Bennie Wylie? Hell, Mad Dog?

In the old days, I would have suckered you into a game of five-star general shots. You would not have outlasted me, based on the make-up of the drinks alone.

Now?

Now I'd be vomiting after a half-dozen.
Every Friday my friend and I had the power hour. One shot every 15 minutes, a double of vodka and cran, or vodka and red bull, between each shot. 4 shots, 4 doubles, in an hour, EVERY Friday. Then we'd go to a club and continue drinking. It wasn't that long ago. Trust me, I would have been fine ;)

Nowadays, I knock out two 1.75L bottles of Tito's a week at home (hello, Tito's, you need to be an OB sponsor). Don't count me out in a staff drinking contest.
frank-the-tank-gif.gif

Reactions: WTexasHorn
Yes, I do remember. And, it could be kool-aid. But, the results I see with my eyes tells me it is more than the drink.

Coach Aston has done a very good job for us, no question. But, like others, I am disappointed that we have lost 15 of 16 games to Baylor. The last two years Kalani Brown badly outmatched our inside players. I did not see, from game to game, a consistent plan for containing her, for giving her the extra attention that might help shut her down and give us a chance to win. We have to get better and more athletic inside before we will have a chance to go farther.

Reactions: Pauln722
Every Friday my friend and I had the power hour. One shot every 15 minutes, a double of vodka and cran, or vodka and red bull, between each shot. 4 shots, 4 doubles, in an hour, EVERY Friday. Then we'd go to a club and continue drinking. It wasn't that long ago. Trust me, I would have been fine ;)

Nowadays, I knock out two 1.75L bottles of Tito's a week at home (hello, Tito's, you need to be an OB sponsor). Don't count me out in a staff drinking contest.
frank-the-tank-gif.gif
A five-star general is a shot of 151, yager, rumplement, goldschlager and tequilla.

It's the most poisonous shot ever created.

Dallas Night Club used to have a party twice a year called the VIP Party, which allowed members with VIP cards to drink for free from 7-9pm.

On one of these nights about 13-15 years ago, it was 10 minutes to 9 and I hadn't had a sip. Someone talked shit of some sort and I ordered 10 five-star generals and bet that person $20 that I could consume them all in less than 10 minutes and still be standing by 11pm.

I drank all 10 in 5 minutes and probably had another 10 more after that.

I stood tall all night. Even had some success in other areas.

I'm not saying I had a tolerance for much else, but if given the choice of weapon, I'd take you down with this particular shot.

p.s. Dallas Night Club shots would register as a drink at 99-percent of the bars in the world. #RIP, old girl.

Coach Aston has done a very good job for us, no question. But, like others, I am disappointed that we have lost 15 of 16 games to Baylor. The last two years Kalani Brown badly outmatched our inside players. I did not see, from game to game, a consistent plan for containing her, for giving her the extra attention that might help shut her down and give us a chance to win. We have to get better and more athletic inside before we will have a chance to go farther.
How many years does Aston get before questions are seriously raised about whether her head is bumping against her ceiling?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT