ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (Only Tom Herman knows the answer to this...)

This is going to be a 20-point win for the Pats.
Okay, I'll take your bate, er, let's make that bait.

The opening generous spread sure smells like a classic Vegas sucker bet that would support your prediction. However, let's not forget Belichick and the Golden Boy will be going up against their number one nemesis in the Jags lead executive in Tom Coughlin who has a lifetime record of 5-1 against them. I believe it's safe to say Doug Marrone is picking Coughlin's brain for this game.

He was hired because it was believed that he was an offensive mastermind.

If he's THAT guy, his influence on the offense is paramount.

If he's not THAT guy, he fooled everyone.
CTH wasn’t hired as an OC. He was hired as a HC. He didn’t call plays at Houston. Why would Fenves and Perrin believe that he will call plays in Austin?

Reactions: Cure4BizCancer
CTH wasn’t hired as an OC. He was hired as a HC. He didn’t call plays at Houston. Why would Fenves and Perrin believe that he will call plays in Austin?
When did the QBs stop calling plays -- anybody?

no - but the "team was depleted" consideration isn't a legitimate consideration, they were up by 12, inside 5 minutes, if being depleted was a thing, they would have been scrapping the whole time just to stay in the game and in that case, losing by 1 could be chalked up to depletion. Instead, it was just terrible, poorly executed basketball - which 2+ years in, isn't an isolated incident. At $2+ million per year, there isn't a "reasonable" time for the training wheels to come off.
He was missing a couple of starting guards. 15-percent of the total roster. It matters.

The sense when he was hired was that they were buying HIS offense... HIS quarterback development skills... HIS control.

He was hired because it was believed that he was an offensive mastermind.

If he's THAT guy, his influence on the offense is paramount.

If he's not THAT guy, he fooled everyone.

Saban is a defensive mastermind. He uses that knowledge and skill to hire, strategize and oversee very effective defenses. Although I'm sure he has the ability to call defensive plays occasionally when he desires, it is not my understanding that he calls every play.

CTH can create a masterful offense without doing the job of his subordinates.

Saban is a defensive mastermind. He uses that knowledge and skill to hire, strategize and oversee very effective defenses. Although I'm sure he has the ability to call defensive plays occasionally when he desires, it is not my understanding that he calls every play.

CTH can create a masterful offense without doing the job of his subordinates.
can he? Are we sure?

not as it currently stands.
The solution is to replace the OC. Obviously, CTH calling plays is better than Beck calling plays, but it is not a long term solution. Even if CTH called plays for a year or two, he would eventually need to turn it over to an OC. The better solution is to find that OC now. Saban hires and fires coaches regularly. CTH should do the same.

Reactions: horns--21
Then replace the OC.

I'm not necessarily against that solution. In work and in life generally, the things I am most determined to come out the way I require, I do myself. I KNOW they'll get done correctly then, and I have the capacity to ensure that. So there are (fortunately) multiple ways to skin most cats, and this appears to be one of those situations as well.

CTH is responsible for doing what he believes is best. Hopefully, for all concerned, that is what he does.

Reactions: RichLaw75
The solution is to replace the OC. Obviously, CTH calling plays is better than Beck calling plays, but it is not a long term solution. Even if CTH called plays for a year or two, he would eventually need to turn it over to an OC.

That is a solution, not the solution. It can be a long-term solution. There is no cosmic truth that CTH would need to turn over O Co responsibilities, despite your assertion.

I'm not necessarily against that solution. In work and in life generally, the things I am most determined to come out the way I require, I do myself. I KNOW they'll get done correctly then, and I have the capacity to ensure that. So there are (fortunately) multiple ways to skin most cats, and this appears to be one of those situations as well.

CTH is responsible for doing what he believes is best. Hopefully, for all concerned, that is what he does.
The most profitable business enterprises are ones that can be scaled. If the enterprise requires you to perform everything, it cannot be scaled.

Reactions: Cure4BizCancer
The most profitable business enterprises are ones that can be scaled. If the enterprise requires you to perform everything, it cannot be scaled.

CTH isn't going to run all the college football programs in the U.S., just Texas. You may want to fall back to a defensive position, your point has no apparent applicability.

If Gary Oldman doesn’t win the Academy Award for best actor, they need to quit giving out the award.

I agree, but he recently blasted Hollywood industry and it was not appreciated. Totally agree he deserves it but that is the most interesting race by far for me, as I wonder if Hollywood will punish him by withholding votes as payback.

Finding a playcaller is the best solution. But CTH calling plays is preferable to Beck calling plays.
I just don't think elite play-callers grow on trees. It has to be proven that he can hire someone more capable than himself.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT