ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From The Weekend (Oops... I did it again!)

A 32-year old player starting to enter a bit of a natural decline for a 27-year old player entering his prime is a no-brainer?

Are you kidding? Did you watch the first half of the season when SEA actually had opened up the passing game? Russ was literally a top 2-3 MVP candidate for a large chunk of the season. What were you watching...

Is it me, or is Jack's "resume" phenomenally weak relative to his reputation, fame & tenure in the industry?
It's you. ;)

His top 6 can hang with just about anyone's and his 7-20 is pretty damn stout.

Are you kidding? Did you watch the first half of the season when SEA actually had opened up the passing game? Russ was literally a top 2-3 MVP candidate for a large chunk of the season. What were you watching...
I love Russ, but I also watched the last 8 games when he performed like a bottom 10 starter.

I also read The Athletic piece this week.

Personally, the thing that stood out to me the most was that 247 was so wrong on CeeDee Lamb.

I don't think it means a ton in the grand scheme of things, but of the guys in the league... I had that dude as a 5 star.
Yeah that is nuts.

I wonder if there is ever some group think type stuff going on when doing final rankings? I don’t know the actual process so just spitballing.

Everyone wants to be impartial, but end of the day competitors know and hear about where kids are getting ranked in those services and it could impact the ratings. For example ESPN could think Ewers is just a 4 star, but if they know 24/7 and Rivals both have him as a 5 star they might feel dumb and bump the ranking.

of Course it wouldn’t always be intentional, but the more you know and hear subconsciously it could affect things.

With regards to number 10... how have you been seeing these movies? Have theaters been open in Texas, or have you been streaming them somehow?

I haven't heard of any of those movies other than the Sound of Metal, which I read about on this board. The only new movies I saw in the last year were Soul and Onward, which streamed on Disney+ for free.
I saw the following films

* Minari (movie theater this weekend)

* Nomadland (Hulu this weekend)

* Sound of Metal (amazon)

* Judas and the Black Messiah (HBO max)

* The Trial of the Chicago 7 (Netflix)

* Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom (Netflix)

* Mank (Netflix)

* Da 5 Bloods (netflix)

Reactions: longhorn4444
A 32-year old player starting to enter a bit of a natural decline for a 27-year old player entering his prime is a no-brainer?

It's not like they're equal talents though. Wilson is a much better QB than Dak. Dak would never be able to carry a team like Wilson has.

It's not like they're equal talents though. Wilson is a much better QB than Dak. Dak would never be able to carry a team like Wilson has.
Wilson is 4th all-time in passer rating and Dak is 7th.

All-time.

Wilson is 4th all-time in passer rating and Dak is 7th.

All-time.

Don't care. Passer rating doesn't take into account things like lack of protection or inferior receivers. Wilson is much better than Prescott; much more than those numbers reflect.

Reactions: reddoor
Don't care. Passer rating doesn't take into account things like lack of protection or inferior receivers. Wilson is much better than Prescott; much more than those numbers reflect.
The last time they played in the playoffs, they both at roughly the same level, but Dak got the win.

Wilson's best years are in his rear view mirror. I love me some Russ, but I don't know that I'd rant his mid 30s on my watch.

I saw the following films

* Minari (movie theater this weekend)

* Nomadland (Hulu this weekend)

* Sound of Metal (amazon)

* Judas and the Black Messiah (HBO max)

* The Trial of the Chicago 7 (Netflix)

* Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom (Netflix)

* Mank (Netflix)

* Da 5 Bloods (netflix)
Thanks. I was asking more out of curiosity. I had heard about HBO Max having new movies, but didn't even know what has been released since the pandemic started. I want to see the Chicago 7 one... it looked pretty good.

Thanks. I was asking more out of curiosity. I had heard about HBO Max having new movies, but didn't even know what has been released since the pandemic started. I want to see the Chicago 7 one... it looked pretty good.
Netflix is loaded with nominated movies.

I love Russ, but I also watched the last 8 games when he performed like a bottom 10 starter.

I also read The Athletic piece this week.

I just read the Athletic piece you’re referencing and didn’t see anything in there that would justify some sort of decline. He wants Carroll and his coaching staff to evolve with the times not be stuck in 1999 with run/run/pass and Russ bailing them out on 3rd and long like he’s done forever. Pete Carrol still happily punts on 4th and 1/2 on the opponent’s 38 and makes crystal clear -EV decisions. Russ may hold onto the ball too long at times, but frustration is warranted and his late season struggles can at least be partly blamed on the scheme change when Carroll panicked.

I just read the Athletic piece you’re referencing and didn’t see anything in there that would justify some sort of decline. He wants Carroll and his coaching staff to evolve with the times not be stuck in 1999 with run/run/pass and Russ bailing them out on 3rd and long like he’s done forever. Pete Carrol still happily punts on 4th and 1/2 on the opponent’s 38 and makes crystal clear -EV decisions. Russ may hold onto the ball too long at times, but frustration is warranted and his late season struggles can at least be partly blamed on the scheme change when Carroll panicked.

Facing better defenses in the second half of the schedule, Wilson and the offense bogged down. Seattle averaged only 2.4 offensive touchdowns per game, 18th in the league and six spots below the Mitch Trubisky-led Chicago Bears. It wasn’t only because Carroll passed less frequently on early downs. Something wasn’t right. Wilson wasn’t right.

During a 17-12 loss to the Colt McCoy-led Giants in early December, a game in which the offense scored only 10 points, Wilson dropped back and set up in a clean pocket. He held the ball longer than four seconds and had plenty of space around him, only to take a sack, a play indicative of Wilson’s struggles down the stretch.

“What the **** is wrong with Russell Wilson?” a veteran coach who watched the game said at the time. “He is seeing ghosts. They act like they are not protecting him, but he kills the protection. There are times they got a clean pocket, he runs up in there, he just panics. He is not playing very good at all.”

“People say their protection is not that good,” the coach went on. “That whole ‘Let Russ Cook’ thing, he is better when they can run the ball and they play off that, there is no question. No one likes that because they want him to be Dan Marino. Well, he is not Dan Marino. You are who you are. But he looks bad right now.”

Reactions: seantran6
I'm working myself there.
I'm right there with you. It's a very interesting storyline that Sark will have to navigate. I think Card is just oozing with potential and believe he'll ultimately be the guy. But how Sark manages the position, I have no idea and don't envy his task. Does he come up with a way to play both? Just don't know how he keeps both happy. The one thing I do know... you'll spend plenty of time writing about it over the next 6 - 9 months.

... What do you even say about the Tiger Woods situation? I just hope he's able to have some sort of normal life and be able to play golf with his kid.

(BUY/SELL) @Ketchum If Tiger had 2 broken legs AND 1 broken arm, could you beat him in a round of golf?

Pretty big wind this weekend. That might have had something to do with the high track times.

Reactions: FriscoWolf
@Ketchum - what are your thought on Doug Brooks? I know that he is at a smaller classification and he is not quite the prototype size for DT but that kid has something...

Gets first in Shot and Discuss, 2nd in Triple Jump and was also part of a 2nd in the 4 x 400! https://www.athletic.net/TrackAndField/Athlete.aspx?AID=15354779

The meet was not a big meet but I picked a bigger one on Athletic.net that included 10 schools including Shadow Creek, Fort Bend... https://www.athletic.net/TrackAndField/meet/412406/teams and the shot would have been 4th, Discus 3rd, TJ 2nd 😳

In a vacuum, yes. This wouldn't be a decision made in a vacuum.

You'd be trading Dak's prime years for Wilson's post-prime years.
Wilson is still 11 years younger than this year’s super bowl winner...he has 4-5 more good years in him.

Gotta have Easy Rider on there somewhere.
vlcsnap-11703455.png

This team is going had to hand in combat with teams that will make the Tournament and succeed on a game by game basis.

They played against a 5-seed type team playing one of its best games in weeks and had a chance to steal the game late, despite not playing all that well.

Frankly, I find some of the portrayals of this season lazy... and I don't mean mine.

Lazy? Interesting.

I find it insane that faced with 6 years worth of evidence, people can watch the same product and think things will change.

It's you. ;)

His top 6 can hang with just about anyone's and his 7-20 is pretty damn stout.
He acted for 54 years. The second half of his career (since 1984) produced just "As Good As It Gets", "Batman", and "A Few Good Men". Everything else was largely forgettable. An 83 y/o actor's resume shouldn't be on par with guys 30+ years younger. But, my cinematic knowledge is but a fraction of yours.

The last time they played in the playoffs, they both at roughly the same level, but Dak got the win.

Wilson's best years are in his rear view mirror. I love me some Russ, but I don't know that I'd rant his mid 30s on my watch.

I'm just not a Dak fan. I think he's very mediocre.

Reactions: NativeTex
ADVERTISEMENT