ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From The Weekend (Oops... I did it again!)

Gotta

Gotta say that this is one of your best lists, IMO. My one gripe is that you didn't have Easy Rider on there somewhere. I never have seen The Last Detail. Need to rectify that.
a. Thank you!
b. Easy Rider could easily have made the list, but it's just kind of boring to me.🤷‍♂️

Reactions: MATF
They know his contract was a mistake and while there are instances where he held the ball too long this season, they have big holes at OL and TE. Not to mention, the defense is inconsistent at best. They have too many holes to draft their way out of it. RW is still a QB you want, but not with that contract.
That might prove to be the case with both of them. One is just 5 years younger.

again... you are projecting thoughts that weren't given.

If you don't understand why this team IS different than the last 5 years, then we're wasting our time to some degree having a conversation at all.

you’re right about that. The disconnect between you and I is that you think this team is different. It’s not. Other than having guards with experience, this team has all the same issues that will cause it to get beat the first weekend of the tourney.

Reactions: Ben3490
The Louisiana game is big time to see the Sark era start but that arky game is huge. This game has been circled for a bit for arky fans. They dgaf if they lose every game as long as they can say they beat Texas. Arky fans hate Texas more than any other school. Texas is their #1 rival over aggy in their minds. They raise their kids to hate Texas and anything burnt orange. This is a game I hope Sark puts is print on and buries the pigs in beat down fashion. I want to see a 30 point game. Arky fans can be the worst disrespectful fans over aggy, ousux, even tOSU.

Reactions: WTexasHorn
I mean... he doesn't have the skins on the wall that Wilson has, but his regular season productivity is pretty outstanding.

Dan Pastorini was a pretty good QB when all he had to do was turn around and hand the ball off to Earl play after play too. I'm of the opinion you put Dak on the Texans and he's literally about half as productive as DeShawn Watson. Dak's success, to the extent he's had any, is more a reflection of the talent he's been surrounded with.

Dak has yet to win a playoff game. Dak's greatest accomplishments have been a couple of Pro Bowls. Hell, VY did that.

When I look up his career QBR against his contemporaries, I come up with 97.3, which puts him at 10th. Hardly anything to get excited about. Russell Wilson's over his entire career is 101.7, not to fail to mention RW's was 110, 106 and 105 the last 3 years compared to Dak's 97, 99, and 99. RW is just better.

you’re right about that. The disconnect between you and I is that you think this team is different. It’s not. Other than having guards with experience, this team has all the same issues that will cause it to get beat the first weekend of the tourney.
"Other than having guards with experience" is no small thing.

Let's take a look at the team's resume for a second.

Wins

vs. North Carolina
at Oklahoma State
at No.17 Kansas
at No.10 West Virginia
vs. No.17 Kansas

Losses

4 point loss to No.8 Villanova
2 point loss to No.18 Texas Tech
1 point loss to No.7 Oklahoma
14-point loss to No.2 Baylor
8-point loss at Oklahoma State
2-point loss to West Virginia
9-point loss at No.18 Texas Tech

Of the 21 games it has played, we're talking about more than half against ranked teams, soon ton be ranked teams or single-digit Tournament teams

Almost every game is a bit of a coin-flip in a rugged conference. It really has only caught a proper beating once this season against a co-national title favorite.

Other than that, it's basically as good and competitive as any team in the best conference in the country.

Shaka HAS been a failure at Texas. Shaka's team may very well flame out in the Tournament.

However, this IS a good team. Just ask the coaches in the Big 12. It has the ability to make a run in the NCAA Tournament.

Whether it will or not is impossible to completely project at this point. I have a hard time listening to people on the subject that don't inject an ounce of nuance into the conversation.

The Louisiana game is big time to see the Sark era start but that arky game is huge. This game has been circled for a bit for arky fans. They dgaf if they lose every game as long as they can say they beat Texas. Arky fans hate Texas more than any other school. Texas is their #1 rival over aggy in their minds. They raise their kids to hate Texas and anything burnt orange. This is a game I hope Sark puts is print on and buries the pigs in beat down fashion. I want to see a 30 point game. Arky fans can be the worst disrespectful fans over aggy, ousux, even tOSU.
Bingo.

It'll be a rabid atmosphere that I'm not sure Texas will fully expect, no matter how much they try to expect it.

Reactions: WTexasHorn
Guys leaving and more spots opening up.
Spots opening up isn't a huge issue IMO.

Texas being closer to 75 scholarships when the season starts than 85 is potentially a very real thing.

He has 5 Oscar noms and two wins since 1984.

He has 10 Golden Globes nominations in that time and four wins.

I'm not a huge fan of movies like About Schmidt and Hoffa in that I don't really want to re-watch them, but they were good performances and fine films.

It's a better run that you think it is.

During a 23-year stretch from 1984-2007, he's nominated for a performance for a major award basically every couple of years.
Ah, I follow where you're coming from. Makes sense. I'm talking about the movies themselves though, not his performances in them. There's no question he's an incredible actor. But, for my tastes, he's made 3 movies in the last 38 years that I walked away think, "wow, that was a really good movie!" He's had a ton of outstanding performances........just not many outstanding movies in the 2nd half of his career. It's no different than Pacino. He's a much better actor than the films he's been in the last half of his career.

Spots opening up isn't a huge issue IMO.

Texas being closer to 75 scholarships when the season starts than 85 is potentially a very real thing.
Do you think that will increase the portal limit from 3 to higher if the right impact player becomes available?

We've only played Arkansas 5 times in the last 30 years. The majority of Arkansas fans didn't grow up in an era when Texas was their #1 rival. I spend a lot of time in Fayetteville and they look at you weird if you say anything about the Texas/Arkansas rivalry. I wear my Longhorn gear all over and have never gotten a single comment other than people wondering why Strong or Herman suck. The old Texas animosity may not be fully dead, but it's on life support, at best. No doubt they'll be up for the game though, no different than if it was USC, Notre Dame, Michigan, et al.

Ah, I follow where you're coming from. Makes sense. I'm talking about the movies themselves though, not his performances in them. There's no question he's an incredible actor. But, for my tastes, he's made 3 movies in the last 38 years that I walked away think, "wow, that was a really good movie!" He's had a ton of outstanding performances........just not many outstanding movies in the 2nd half of his career. It's no different than Pacino. He's a much better actor than the films he's been in the last half of his career.
I dunno.

A Few Good Men, As Good as It Gets and The Departed are three monster movies for the second half of his career.

Those three stand apart from the park.

That they are surrounded by very good movies in Batman (some would argue it belongs on the list above), About Schmidt (a very good, but depressing as **** movie), The Witches of Eastwick (an underrated favorite) and Something's Gotta Give (another underrated favorite) makes for a really quality second half of his career resume.

I'm not even including Broadcast News or Prizzi's Honor from the last 80s. Or Anger Management (which was a huge hit that made nearly $200 million as a comedy).

Since the release of Terms, Jack did 22 movies and I think 10 or 11 were nominated for major awards in some capacity (either through his performance or the movie itself).

Do you think that will increase the portal limit from 3 to higher if the right impact player becomes available?
No, because the team is working with the 25-limit, not the 85-man limit when it comes to transfers.

We've only played Arkansas 5 times in the last 30 years. The majority of Arkansas fans didn't grow up in an era when Texas was their #1 rival. I spend a lot of time in Fayetteville and they look at you weird if you say anything about the Texas/Arkansas rivalry. I wear my Longhorn gear all over and have never gotten a single comment other than people wondering why Strong or Herman suck. The old Texas animosity may not be fully dead, but it's on life support, at best. No doubt they'll be up for the game though, no different than if it was USC, Notre Dame, Michigan, et al.
were you at the game in 2004?

* Speaking of track times I'm dying to see, put new 2023 commit Reuben Owens II in that category, especially when you consider that he ran an 11.71 this weekend at the Needville Relays (also long jumped 20-7 and tripled jumped 42-2). When you look at his film, he's on a completely different level than all of the kids he's playing against. In fact, his film is so absurd at times that it's tough to quantify exactly what we're seeing when it comes to raw explosiveness. I'm just curious about what level of freak we're talking about. Back in the day, Adrian Peterson popped off a 10.33 in the Class 4A 100 Meter final as a junior. Reggie Bush was a 10.43 guy (fastest in California at the time). I don't know what my expectations are for Owens, but I'd certainly like to see him run better by the end of the year than 11.71.

Not sure how one leaves out Jamaal Charles in this discussion. A guy who won the 110 and 300m hurdles at state then dropped a 10.13 as a frosh in the NCAA's.

Reactions: Marshall07
It's not that they are laying poorly, it's that they aren't performing above-average consistently together.

They keep having moments of brilliance, followed by shit within minutes of each other.

Our veteran guards are vastly overrated.
None of them are consistent shooters and , worst of all, they have a collectively low basketball IQ.
I'm ready for this circus to leave town.

Yet, that's the Tournament and with all due respect to games like the one that was played yesterday... it doesn't really matter at this point in the season. The Longhorns can win the final three games of this season and then win the conference tournament, but if it loses in the second round of the Big Dance, the season will be a failure.

Disagree somewhat. For sure CDC won't see it as a failure.

Likewise, if it loses its final three games and flames out quickly in the Big 12 Tournament, but then finds a way to make it to the Sweet 16, all the bitching and complaining from this week (and other weeks) won’t matter much.

Perhaps to some extent. The reality is Shaka's program doesn't exactly give me confidence that they would all of a sudden "catch fire" once the Tournament hit.

(Sell) But, a dreaded 5 vs. 12 type of match-up looms and unless the Texas guards get it together soon, I might change my mind.

This is why the "regular season doesn't count crowd" strikes me as misguided. They just don't pull names out of a hat come seeding time. You would the best seed possible and that comes with the best regular season you can fashion.

Perhaps to some extent. The reality is Shaka's program doesn't exactly give me confidence that they would all of a sudden "catch fire" once the Tournament hit.
I just don't know that winning two games is catching fire. It'll likely come down to who is in the bracket.

Hell, Penders' last sweet 16 had everything to do with the bracket falling the right way once Coppin State did what it did in the first round.

This is why the "regular season doesn't count crowd" strikes me as misguided. They just don't pull names out of a hat come seeding time. You would the best seed possible and that comes with the best regular season you can fashion.
well, yeah.... but we're at a point in the season where we have a very good idea of where the team WILL be seeded.

And my point would have stood if they had won in Lubbock. They could win the4 next six or seven games leading up to the Tournament, but winning i the Tournament is how the team will be remembered.

ADVERTISEMENT