ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From The Weekend (Oops... I did it again!)

... Cade Cunningham did the damn thing in Norman on Saturday with a 40-point monster. The two teams play again on Monday, and it feels like must-watch stuff.

Cade Cunningham is what happens when a frosh has a legitimately ELITE skillset. Not just elite athleticism. What he's doing isn't the least surprising for people who have been paying attention for the last 2 years.

Cade Cunningham is what happens when a frosh has a legitimately ELITE skillset. Not just elite athleticism. What he's doing isn't the least surprising for people who have been paying attention for the last 2 years.
do you think anyone was surprised?

Spots opening up isn't a huge issue IMO.

Texas being closer to 75 scholarships when the season starts than 85 is potentially a very real thing.

"Potentially?" There is no "potentially" about it. The more schollies Sark has the better for '22.

I just don't know that winning two games is catching fire. It'll likely come down to who is in the bracket.

Hell, Penders' last sweet 16 had everything to do with the bracket falling the right way once Coppin State did what it did in the first round.

It is when you come in stumbling like a drunken bum.

"Potentially?" There is no "potentially" about it. The more schollies Sark has the better for '22.
Sark is going to have 25 for 2022 without even trying.

Period. It's simple math when you look at the current numbers and the guaranteed attrition in the next 16 months or so. He'd probably have room for 30-35 if he could.

Reactions: DiehardHorn1988
It is when you come in stumbling like a drunken bum.
Is Texas playing like a drunken bum in losing closely on the road in Lubbock, by 2 at home to West Virginia and by seven on the road in Stillwater?

Or has it simply lost three very competitive games against very good teams?

Reactions: BigSkyHorn
do you think anyone was surprised?

Pretty sure a lot of OBers didn't quite understand what Okie Lite was getting. FWIW, not saying you were surprised, but exactly how many times prior have you even bothered to discuss Cunningham?

Let's take a look at the team's resume for a second.

Wins

vs. North Carolina
at Oklahoma State
at No.17 Kansas
at No.10 West Virginia
vs. No.17 Kansas

Losses

4 point loss to No.8 Villanova
2 point loss to No.18 Texas Tech
1 point loss to No.7 Oklahoma
14-point loss to No.2 Baylor
8-point loss at Oklahoma State
2-point loss to West Virginia
9-point loss at No.18 Texas Tech

That's a pretty front-loaded resume. A not so small detail.

Pretty sure a lot of OBers didn't quite understand what Okie Lite was getting. FWIW, not saying you were surprised, but exactly how many times prior have you even bothered to discuss Cunningham?
well, how many times has he dropped a 40-burger in Bedlam?

He's a projected No.1 overall player in the Draft, so anyone paying attention knew he was sick. I can't really speak for anyone that just didn't give a shit to know that basic point. :)

Timing is everything. If it had happened midweek, it likely doesn't get mentioned.

well, how many times has he dropped a 40-burger in Bedlam?

He's a projected No.1 overall player in the Draft, so anyone paying attention knew he was sick. I can't really speak for anyone that just didn't give a shit to know that basic point. :)

Timing is everything. If it had happened midweek, it likely doesn't get mentioned.

I mean, he's only averaging 20/6/3.5 and is going to be the Big 12 POY and probably at least 2nd team AA.

That's a pretty front-loaded resume. A not so small detail.
Agreed. Against the best competition on the recent schedule, Texas has more often been on the slightly not good enough place against Sweet 16 or better level teams.

I think it becomes truly problematic when combined with recent seasons, but this season's team can't control what happened in the last decade.

I just don't think they are playing the kind of basketball that warrants being compared to previous seasons, but that still might not translate to Tournament success.

Agreed. Against the best competition on the recent schedule, Texas has more often been on the slightly not good enough place against Sweet 16 or better level teams.

I think it becomes truly problematic when combined with recent seasons, but this season's team can't control what happened in the last decade.

I just don't think they are playing the kind of basketball that warrants being compared to previous seasons, but that still might not translate to Tournament success.

The tournament exposes precisely a team's biggest flaws. And we have several fatal flaws that not surprisingly show up too often against better teams.

The tournament exposes precisely a team's biggest flaws. And we have several fatal flaws that not surprisingly show up too often against better teams.
The back-court failings in crunch time have been the most problematic issue for me in the last couple of weeks.

I don't know that any of the three can be counted on, which is exactly what Coleman in his fourth year was supposed to be. A guy in the final 2 minutes you can count on.

Reactions: OldBlood and Horn19
were you at the game in 2004?
No. That was during the time I was living in LA. 2004 was a long time ago though (as much as I hate to admit it). So long ago........Lance Armstrong still hadn't won the last of this Tour de Forces, the Red Sox still hadn't lifted the Curse of the Bambino, Osama Bin Laden was still the leader of Al Qaeda, Rosa Parks & Christopher Reeves were alive, and Maalik Murphy was 6 months old. ;)

Actually, recruiting and landing special quarterback prospects is a big deal.

Texas has exactly one national top 100 level quarterback outside of Jerrod Heard in the last 13 recruiting classes.

The linemen will come, especially on the offensive side of the ball.
... And when they do, I'll be absolutely effin thrilled! Until then, we'll continue to have DB's that have to cover all day, RB's that have to make their own holes, WR's who don't have time to get open, and QB's who spend most of their time playing ineffectively through injuries.

Nobody will remember Jerrod Heard outside of one stellar game against Cal. You know the answer to this question and I don't, but how good was the OL in front of him in 2015? I'm guessing it wasn't great. How much upside would he have had if he had four 4* and a 5* O-lineman in front of him?

No. That was during the time I was living in LA. 2004 was a long time ago though (as much as I hate to admit it). So long ago........Lance Armstrong still hadn't won the last of this Tour de Forces, the Red Sox still hadn't lifted the Curse of the Bambino, Osama Bin Laden was still the leader of Al Qaeda, Rosa Parks & Christopher Reeves were alive, and Maalik Murphy was 6 months old. ;)
Well, they were out of their ****ing minds in 2004. Not Ohio State-like, but not far away.

... And when they do, I'll be absolutely effin thrilled! Until then, we'll continue to have DB's that have to cover all day, RB's that have to make their own holes, WR's who don't have time to get open, and QB's who spend most of their time playing ineffectively through injuries.

Nobody will remember Jerrod Heard outside of one stellar game against Cal. You know the answer to this question and I don't, but how good was the OL in front of him in 2015? I'm guessing it wasn't great. How much upside would he have had if he had four 4* and a 5* O-lineman in front of him?
Are you somehow of the position that I am debating you on the importance of OL/DL recruiting?

Actually, recruiting and landing special quarterback prospects is a big deal.

Texas has exactly one national top 100 level quarterback outside of Jerrod Heard in the last 13 recruiting classes.

The linemen will come, especially on the offensive side of the ball.
BTW, haven't we landed special QB's the last three years? Or am I overstating signing Card, Jackson, Thompson and Rising?

Don't get me wrong, I'd rather have Murphy than NOT have him.

But I'm old fashioned in that I believe 4* Lineman turn 3* skill players into superstars, and not the other way around.

Going after Wilson doesn't seem like the smart move. Keep Dak IMO

A Few Good Men is my favorite Jack film. Such a badass movie.

@Ketchum can I finally dream big with OL recruiting?

I think the Rivals rankings at the top get it right more than NFL people get the Draft right, at least if we're talking about success rates.
Potentially, but the stats you provided about the receiver rankings throughout the years was rough to read.

BTW, haven't we landed special QB's the last three years? Or am I overstating signing Card, Jackson, Thompson and Rising?

Don't get me wrong, I'd rather have Murphy than NOT have him.

But I'm old fashioned in that I believe 4* Lineman turn 3* skill players into superstars, and not the other way around.
I viewed Card as special. The national services did not.

Jackson/Thompson/Rising were all 250-level prospects.

Potentially, but the stats you provided about the receiver rankings throughout the years was rough to read.
It's the WORST producing position of them all, along with linebackers.

The other positions tell different stories.

Going after Wilson doesn't seem like the smart move. Keep Dak IMO

A Few Good Men is my favorite Jack film. Such a badass movie.

@Ketchum can I finally dream big with OL recruiting?
tumblr_o6nts8RudQ1rp0vkjo1_500.gif

Reactions: TurfHorn
Well, they were out of their ****ing minds in 2004. Not Ohio State-like, but not far away.
I'll be there in September. Hopefully the last 17 years has watered down the hatred, because I wouldn't want to repeat my experience in Columbus!

ADVERTISEMENT