ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (Permission to dream big?)

There's virtually zero known proof to suggest that this team deserves the benefit of the doubt just because.

There are questions everywhere.

I look at three issues:

Is UT talent better than last year? Yes

Is UT coaching better than last year? Yes

Are our conference opponents weaker than last year? Yes

I'm looking forward to a great season this year, and I'm really excited to be in the stadium this coming Saturday evening.

Reactions: rtex63
you haven't had to read too far between the lines the last 6-9 months to know that @Ketchum isn't a huge believer in anything about the current head coach. He's far from alone on that.
If Ketch thinks Herman is a never to improve f -up, than 7-3 might make some sense. Any decent coach gets 9-1 or 10-0 with this team. We are loaded and have depth every where but O line and LB.

you haven't had to read too far between the lines the last 6-9 months to know that @Ketchum isn't a huge believer in anything about the current head coach. He's far from alone on that.
I think Tom just needs to put it all together and he hasn't done that once in his entire career. Even in his best season, he dropped games he shouldn't have.

People keep asking what games Texas might lose as if they are completely unaware of this element of his coaching career.

Ketch, I get why you are so pessimistic.
Texas fans are like beaten down puppies at this stage.
But, I believe, that COACHING matters.
And I also believe that this year, after a decade, we finally have it.
You’ll see....
9-1 at least!
I hope you're more right than I am.

Eagles stock is low.
Too much begging for him to rise up.
Let's just hope someone else will step up.
If this was the NFL, it seems like, based on reports he would not make the roster cut. Practice squad maybe. Classic disgruntled underachiever. So very disappointing.

Reactions: rtex63 and KoolMoD
This article is further proof nobody at this site has a freaking clue what’s going on.
Time to get some sources.
We’re all here for the banter amongst ourselves and not for the information from inside the program. Hate away I don’t give a crap.

Reactions: cgentry10
Far more likely than 7-3.
tenor.gif

So, what would be my 3-step plan to rebuilding the planning along the offensive line recruiting if I was basing it on this data.

1. Heavily target the elite offensive line talent out West.
2. Emphasize building some in-roads into a very talented and insanely underrated Mid-Atlantic region.
3. Once you get beyond, the elite of the elite prospects in the West and Mid-Atlantic, there's not much reason to leave the state of Texas for low-four star talent and below. There's no real regional advantage to be found the deeper you go into the talent pool.

@Ketchum, what are your odds that any of these suggestions / your plan will be implemented during the tenure of the CTH coaching staff?

Is it even above 0?

Reactions: bradford345
I am not sure why you think it is good analysis to continue to judge today's team by the standards of the teams of the last ten years, the worst teams in Texas history. We have better players and will continue to improve as a team. We will not continue to be the worst we have ever been. You should be able to see past our worst years and take a realistic look at what we are going to put on the field this year. IMO you are not doing that You seem to be unable to recognize that we will not stay at our all time low permanently. .

I'm not disagreeing there. I'm just saying if you believe this to be true, how can you also believe Herman is right for the job?

4th year QB
Easiest schedule Texas has seen in over a decade
Upperclassmen all over the defense.

If Herman can't win now, what makes anyone think he could ever win?
I don't know that Herman is right for the job. The jury is out on that one for me.

I mean... he hasn't coached a game since he needed to replace 70-percent of his staff for development issues.

He's been part of that problem. He just couldn't fire himself.

i thought yacht as in boats.

well, at first I thought it was songs related to yachts, boats, sailing and I worked on a sail boat way back when and that Styx Song was my favorite song when we raced on Friday evenings.
But then I took a closer look at your list and I think Styx are more progressive rock than yacht rock like Toto and the others. Looked up the definition* for yacht rock and while Styx fits the years, I still don’t think it quite fits the genre.
But I stand by it being top ten songs about sailing / boats / yachts.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

*definition: Also known as the West Coast Sound or adult-oriented rock, it's a style of soft rock from between the late 1970s and early 1980s that featured elements of smooth soul, smooth jazz, R&B, funk, rock and disco.
I love that you went into such detail. Thank you :)

Based on what exactly?
Based on 60 years of experience watching players progress and evaluation of elite talent
Coburn and Ojomo will blow up. Experts can see that. Collins and Broughton are elite. Much better defensive scheme and better coaching. Elite secondary talent will aid pass rush. Based on exactly that.

Based on what exactly?
Nothing but a hunch. Too much talent, moving to a 4 man front. Two young studs. A talented and hopefully healthy secondary. I just think there’s too much depth there for the pash rush to not be good.

I look at three issues:

Is UT talent better than last year? Yes

Is UT coaching better than last year? Yes

Are our conference opponents weaker than last year? Yes

I'm looking forward to a great season this year, and I'm really excited to be in the stadium this coming Saturday evening.
Here's hoping you cram it in my face come December.

what makes this schedule easy in your mind?

Texas lost four conference games last season.
Teams that suck - WVU, Tech, Kansas, K-State, Baylor, UTEP

Teams that COULD be good and reasons why they're not:
- TCU - lost their QB
- Iowa St - Have beaten Texas once in Austin. Ever.
- OU - Lost their starting QB, both RBs, 80% of their offensive line, and their best WR.
- OSU I'll give you.

Reactions: OkayCoolFU
IWe are loaded and have depth every where but O line and LB.
When you say loaded, what do you mean?

This team returns zero truly proven difference makers outside of its quarterback and left tackle. Even Ossai isn't proven week ik and week out in the role he's being placed in.

You're new around here, I can see...
New on this site....sure. New to reality....hardly. How confident are you in your predictions, I’d suppose you would like the money for another subscription if I’m wrong and if I’m right people will probably be piling on with OB subscriptions

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT