ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From The Weekend (Pooooooor Aggies)

Rm5XY0CK1cuNAL27MFhIc0dGsZokivYMhG7LoNBf-9dU1NpDiDYlXhgtWTldYbQDWwKgL7BCOq7h6YMui-za8Qexo2EQ6eMK5eFwkvVww5CCREn1f0zqJPuNP6r0cxLBXcbJ32GNrTJC8hD3EdWKSPaU9C4siLRkEl_gMyK0gq5fF6ReHJ9ycFqlPc5l9tRwWiDJpE7Z5KjVKOnilGsbh9Yfk_YI0MVqmbYK6h9gky6YrMynn0cmmZ8sv98SqVprjIL-uB45gSdrU2mnzz-jWqNeLzGv6cbH7Xf0npeWxJaQyZFzaSvUFGoy66rLZ1FiegRD4MuezLT0r0GEBL41PeuDwLVMis48IidJ9_BU2xiap4jyOnNRxhGJs6cZC66MLusG1dVvXwk6rVwR3-OpYZTq9yxyu0Ko19WU9rrmHpV6TuF0CH_ScGe5cnOlwkrArdWH4Ggu1xdZuFNtalq-gA4EzShLR8_jMcVdAUJH_HvX8TNhQWLEA_-tDWp0Zz3X8znN6ZBZu4U2MUCdahyfLaTRD13exT9ShXbaQv5rezFKDICp6_Sd92zLHYpiFk-kO6kmgtFJs84Ytwizg0PsQ8Ceg2KukEpfD4FQKDgkWoQhb4wK-UnyleG1YqaDQaiRs3yAvJgJ4UaV3uHX95Ct-4nBCUKXrZZfB8uSyedEJmbIHOhhM0G-sTVcol0qa3KlLSCzbyIy-B23V_eLHg4YBYM=w676-h717-no
OMG. Guess what my new wallpaper is?!

@Ketchum, do you think daily interviews from the football players signed with OB is possibly a little much? I wonder how much worthy content they can provide, day after day. The players tend to never really say much anyway, in terms of real valuable insight into the program or what’s going on (understandably so, they don’t have jurisdiction). Just curious if having a talk with them every day will bring good content after the first few interviews.

Hopefully it doesn’t get in their way from a daily process standpoint either, but then again, they want to be semi-pro and sign a contract, then they ought to be able to fulfill it without issue.

@Ketchum, do you think daily interviews from the football players signed with OB is possibly a little much? I wonder how much worthy content they can provide, day after day. The players tend to never really say much anyway, in terms of real valuable insight into the program or what’s going on (understandably so, they don’t have jurisdiction). Just curious if having a talk with them every day will bring good content after the first few interviews.

Hopefully it doesn’t get in their way from a daily process standpoint either, but then again, they want to be semi-pro and sign a contract, then they ought to be able to fulfill it without issue.
It won't be every day.

More like 2-3 times per week. The goal is to do it all over zoom for the most part in small windows that don't crowd them for time.

If someone where to make Blood Meridian...this guy would win in a heartbeat.

OIP.G_dnKXma7cGmrySZj96EtQAAAA

Get something passed? In 2023? That is the first chance to my knowledge.
I think that’s the case, at least without a special session. Which the Governor would never call for legislation he would veto.

Nope. Gonna have to disagree with you. Getting to the SEC absolutely does help with recruiting. Period.

It might not help with winning, but you don't understand what's happening in recruiting if you believe it doesn't.
And better players help lead to more wins…hence the chicken or the egg on which comes first…being in the SEC gives Sark a better chance to succeed longterm…

This column felt like eating blueberry cheesecake from Hester’s Coffeeshop in Corpus Christi with a bold dark roast coffee. Mmmmmmmmmm

Nope. Gonna have to disagree with you. Getting to the SEC absolutely does help with recruiting. Period.

It might not help with winning, but you don't understand what's happening in recruiting if you believe it doesn't.
I think you may be missing my point or I may not be explaining my point well. If I stated that it won't help recruiting then I misspoke - it will. The point that I was trying to make is that you still have to recruit better than your competition to win - and the competition just got exponentially harder. So, while we may recruit better, we have to recruit better than schools that have owned spots of the top 7 recruiting classes over the last few years because now we have to actually play these teams.

1) It doesn't create an advantage vis a vis OU. They just gained the same advantage.
2) It may tip the scales vs. OSU, Alabama, LSU (our out of state competition for blues) - but only if we are winning.
3) If A&M wins and we don't, it doesn't help that much (see 1985 thru 1998)

So, we could actually recruit better but not see a significant bump in W-L. In a zero sum game, we would have to start smoking both OU and A&M in recruiting while keeping Bama, OSU, LSU out of the state by actually winning those battles also. It will be hard to smoke those schools unless we start beating these schools on the field. Thats where a guy like Mack Brown (or Jimbo Fisher if we are being fair) is needed. You have to close great recruits based on a vision versus actual results. Is Sark that guy? We will see soon enough.

@Ketchum

Here is my take.

The only way the SEC assists recruiting is if you win in the SEC.

We have taken away a reason to not pick UT, but our main rival comes with us and they have been burying us on the field and the recruiting arena. A&M with Fisher isn't going to all of a sudden suck at recruiting.

Getting to the SEC doesn't help recruiting. Winning in the SEC does. We haven't outflanked OU and Jimbo can sell ice to Eskimos. A&M didn't recruit particularly well after the Johnny Manziel effect wore off and Mizzou, Ole Miss, MSU, Vanderbilt, USCe, Arkansas and Tennesee don't scare anyone on the recruiting trail.

We haven't beaten OU in awhile and - to your point - we are a few years away from having the talent to beat A&M, let alone Bama, UGA, UF and others.

It certainly gets us to a better place, but I also remember the late 80's and the '90s. Unless someone as good as Mack Brown comes walking through the door (and what he has done with UNC is nothing short of amazing), it really won't matter.
Great points. I think of it this way... we haven't gotten to the end of the road yet, but at least we are now on the damn road instead of hacking our way though the jungle. Joining the SEC won't fix everything, but it clears a lot of obstacles that were keeping us from fixing things.

The other thing that we have to address is development, which is why the transfer portal is not a real solution. We have actually recruited pretty well over the last decade, but have developed poorly. We are entering a league where you need to recruit and develop blue chip talent to have any chance of reaching the top. You also have to put them into a scheme and game plan that will enable them to win.

We may take some lumps early, but you get better by playing the best. And we were not playing the best in the Big 12. I am looking forward to seeing how we stack up, and to watching the sleeping giant eventually awake.

that marcia/marcia/marcia video is just so damn spot on it's hilarious.

Intros will take place here.
Okay, I am here and ready!

okay, that was me trying to be funny, lol. I am not that important, haha, but these new hires are!!
I am looking forward to seeing was “magic fairy dust” @Ketchum will sprinkle on his empire. “Growing is hard, staying relevant is hard”.
🙃

ADVERTISEMENT