ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (Possible insight on UT's next OC?)

There are any number of reasons why those "thousands" of coaches never make it to the level where Shaka is and none of them have to do with their ability to coach. For whatever oddball reason you can't see beyond that. By your reasoning Charlie Strong is a "damn good coach." What does that tell you about your reasoning?
Yes, he is.

He's an awful head coach at the high D1 level.

OK, at least now you are putting context into one of the goofiest claims ever on this board. Under your criteria, Shaka could be the worst coach in college BB, a claim I would say might be true.
I'm not the one making goofy comments.

I'll never forget watching Derick Roberson absolutely wreck people in person. He'd run down the field on kickoffs and just level guys. Was really surprised it didn't all click in a big way at a big-time college, but not surprised to see he found his way onto a NFL field. Good for him.

Reactions: I Hear Voices
While I’m talking about what we have to do can you explain what we have paid for with Shaka? Is he worth what we have paid or even worse time spent? Is our goal to be average and make money?
I bet you're a ball of fun at the annual Christmas party!

I have never seen a missed dunk get more run than the Morant attempt. I don’t get it. Was it incredibly athletic yes but there was no finish so let it go
But how was that not an offensive foul? Love was in position when Morant launched himself, and he didn't quite clear him, so he ending up in essence launching himself into him. Seems like a charge.

How does Sam Acho make your top 10? He did next to nothing in his only season of the past decade.

Poona received consideration.

Gary Johnson?
Yeah 2 yr juco transfer that had 1 major impact season is a reach, of sorts.
I was thinking about which players were most responsible for our best season of the decade.
Sam, Omenihu, & Gary were the 3 names that came to mind.

I haven't side-stepped anything. I clearly outlined my reasoning and no one has dared take those reasons on, for obvious reasons.

And I thought that I had "dared take those reasons on." Perhaps my discourse was too reasoned.;)

Well, you also didn't take me on either when I posed my final thought, namely

"One last thought. The University of Texas is paying him a boatload of money and they are not getting their return. I invite you to tell me that they are, and why."

So a person can be a damn good coach and still not great? The top 1% in his profession but he's still not a great coach? Perhaps it's semantics, but I still don't know exactly what you really think about him. I think he is a good person but not a good coach even though he got to the Final Four and coached a U.S. national team.

One last thought. The University of Texas is paying him a boatload of money and they are not getting their return. I invite you to tell me that they are, and why.
Ketch wants him to be in that 1% because he is a good person. You are not in that 1% if you can’t get your shit together at Texas over five years. That’s a fact.

Reactions: J Tull
He's still in the top 1% of his profession.

Not as a basketball coach. His havoc style got him to final four years ago b/c it caught teams by surprise. Can't run that in a good conference which is why he dropped it shortly after getting here.

As far as coaching skill, he trails Barnes by a bunch. That's kind of obvious now.

I'm not interested in what a good person he is (I don't know him), more interested in how successful he is at his profession, and he's been a huge disappointment as a coach.

Agree to disagree as to his coaching skill, or lack thereof.

Reactions: LonghornBuc
all 351 of those coaches are almost certainly damn good.
Ketch, this context of yours is irrelevant. It’s irrelevant to the players the coach recruits, the administration, and the school’s fans. Nobody is concerned with the broadest context or definition of a pool of coaches.

Texas hired Shaka to be in the top 5 - 10% of the coaches in the population of 351, not because he is among the top 1% of 10,000 coaches in America.

This is the wrong hill to die on.

Come on.

I just don't think this place is the right job for him.

Clearly.

There are countless situations of successful people going to situations where they fail to meet their goals after being successful in previous stops.

If we only judged Vince Lombardi on his stint with Washington, what would we say about him? Jimmy Johnson with the Dolphins? Jerry Jones post-1995?

The failure at Texas doesn't mean he's incapable. It just means he failed.

Jerry Jones peaked in 1989. He hired Jimmy! He has done a great job marketing a losing team but Jimmy put all the pieces together for all 3 super bowls despite Jerry.

Not as a basketball coach. His havoc style got him to final four years ago b/c it caught teams by surprise. Can't run that in a good conference which is why he dropped it shortly after getting here.

As far as coaching skill, he trails Barnes by a bunch. That's kind of obvious now.

I'm not interested in what a good person he is (I don't know him), more interested in how successful he is at his profession, and he's been a huge disappointment as a coach.

Agree to disagree as to his coaching skill, or lack thereof.
Again, he's been to a final four at a non-power five program, has been to the tournament in 7 of his 10 seasons as a head coach, is viewed incredibly favorably by USA Basketball and is one of the top 20 paid highest-paid people in his profession.

This has nothing to do with him as a human being.

This is a non-confirmation biased thought based on what he's done, how high he's climbed, his value in the marketplace and the fact that non-Texas based institutions think the world of him (USA Basketball).

Ketch, this context of yours is irrelevant. It’s irrelevant to the players the coach recruits, the administration, and the school’s fans. Nobody is concerned with the broadest context or definition of a pool of coaches.

Texas hired Shaka to be in the top 5 - 10% of the coaches in the population of 351, not because he is among the top 1% of 10,000 coaches in America.

This is the wrong hill to die on.

Come on.
I don't think we're discussing the same thing. You're suggesting I'm saying something that I'm not. He's been a failure at Texas, a massive one.

Jerry Jones peaked in 1989. He hired Jimmy! He has done a great job marketing a losing team but Jimmy put all the pieces together for all 3 super bowls despite Jerry.
Did Jimmy stop being a damned good coach when he went to the Dolphins because he was a failure there?

It was ok. There were moments I really liked and some parts of the movie I was disappointed in.

I'm still processing it all.
I went in with low expectations and was surprised how much I enjoyed it.

I rewatched FA and LJ the night before watching ROS and I think that helped me appreciate the new movie more.

It certainly has it flaws, but for whatever reason, I really enjoyed it.

Did Jimmy stop being a damned good coach when he went to the Dolphins because he was a failure there?

Did Shaka win 2 NCAA titles with VCU? Because Jimmy won 2 titles in 5 years with Dallas. He also won a title with the Miami Hurricanes in 1987. Johnson also made the playoffs 3 out of 4 seasons in Miami and won 2 playoff games. Shaka has made the tournament in 2 of 4 seasons and has 0 wins.

Context matters.

Yes it does. And I for one thought you meant Division I college coaches. And I suspect the rest of us did too. If you include all the basketball coaches in the United States - heck, the entire world - then I'll agree that Shaka is in the 1%.

"Constrained by a micro managing HC," one source said. Well he should be familiar then.
I read that line and immediately thought........

anigif_sub-buzz-25972-1479741401-2.gif

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT