ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (Pretty much all of this will make A&M heads explode...)

@Ketchum and @WapitiHorn live look in with me lurking.

hqdefault.jpg

Reactions: WapitiHorn
Jesus Christ — you pulled out Pearl Harbor? What year is it? It’s sentiments like these that worry me when I think about raising kids with multiple nationalities living in a 4th country (US, Canada/Taiwan, all living in Britain).

People can belong to multiple nations. If someone spends most of their life in the US and has US citizenship, the presumption is they are American. Culturally they are American. Legally, they are US citizens. Are those whose parents brought them to the United States when they were children, who made their lives here, not as American as I am, just because I was born here? I say no. It takes, what, 8 years to apply for citizenship? I think the same should hold for children who didn’t have a choice.

One could even analogize with a Native American or even a Texan. A Navajo simultaneously belongs to the Navajo nation and to the American nation. A Texan belongs to the community of Texans as well as that of Americans writ large. There’s just less overlap in the Venn diagram with Japanese/Americans.

Those with two or more nationalities should not be less a member of a particular nation, regardless of their sport (if we go to war with Japan I’ll judge accordingly). The word for that is nativism, and it’s a slippery, slippery slope.
Pearl harbor isn't ancient history. The Japanese remember Hiroshima and Nagasaki. I'm not saying it should inform every dealing with Japan and Japanese people, but it's something that happened and can't completely be ignored.

I agree with what you say about what it means to be american. I'm a first generation immigrant, American born. She doesn't want to be identified as American.

Just to be clear, you view Hakeem as less of a Nigerian for playing on the USA basketball team?

We merely disagree strongly.
And that's fair.

When he renounced his Nigerian citizenship to become an American citizen, yes that made him less Nigerian, imo.

I'm not sure I buy the idea of dual citizenship.

Reactions: Buffalosoldiers
Those from Africa generally have a brotherhood that is a little different than those living in North America.

But, thanks.
Africa is the most war torn area on the planet. Not sure about this brotherhood you are talking about.

Actually, I’m not projecting any of that spew. It’s you that just stated YOUR OPINION of what my opinion is.

My insinuation in my original post is that if you took a poll, I think the majority of the posters stating she isn’t “American” would be more conservative politically, while those saying she is American would be more liberal. Not saying EVERY conservative or liberal would think that way, just most. And hey, I admittedly may be dead wrong.

And for the record, I am an “endangered species”...a liberal republican, or a conservative democrat. Not really sure anymore. I’m more conservative on economic issues, and more liberal on social ones. I hate taxes, I’m a gun owner and a hunter, but I don’t believe the founding fathers had AR15s in mind when they wrote the Bill of Rights. I don’t think a wall is going to fix the immigration crisis. I believe in a woman’s right to choose, but I’d like to believe that if it was my daughter/wife/sister I’d help her with options that would bring the baby into the world. I hate handout programs, but know that there are people out there that deserve and need legit help. We spend too much money and resources fighting drug trafficking and losing lives, but I think drug legalization is more complex than just saying “weed should be legal.”
Is this philosophy what you thought I was when you jumped to what you thought I was saying? What ideology pigeon hole can you put me into conveniently? If you know one, let me know, because I sure don’t.

I’ve voted for both parties over the years, depending on the candidates and the issues at hand. But most folks don’t do that anymore.

You said earlier that you’re “forced” to vote democrat. No one is “forced” to vote for any side. But the fact that you stated that is part of the problem with our current political system...our two-party system is broken, but that’s a whole other can of worms.

We should be able to have this conversation without immediately telling the other what we think they’re opinion is or isn’t.

Back to the original topic...if Osaka is a naturalized US citizen and can hold a US passport, then she is American. That’s a fact.

Which country she should play for in international competition is completely different. To me, if she’s spent most of her life training in the US and using US resources to become the player she is now, then she should play for the US. But that’s just my OPINION, not a fact.
We're on the same boat politically.

When I meant forced, I didn't mean it literally, as if someone held a gun to my head, but I suspect you knew that.

This is the nationality test... If America went to war, which side would you be on.

Reactions: RTR
It gonna be hard to keep all those stud wide receivers happy when it comes to playing time. I see a future portal for a few receivers next year.

That could be, but the solution is to outwork and out perform the other guy--- it sure is a lot different than a few years ago when we wondered if there was anyone who could actually play..

iron sharpens iron

Not a chance in hell.

So I don't know if you mean what I'm thinking so Ill draw a comparison:

I took my two oldest stepdaughters to see Passion of the Christ which was a great great movie but I never wanted to see it again-- Are you in that camp or did you just hate The Favourite?

Yes he does, but clay courts are why. He has a 23-15 lead head to head with a 13-2 advantage on clay. I would consider them equals.
Clay and grass courts are just silly.

They are fun for variety and novelty, but tennis is played on hardcourts. The Aussie switched from grass to hard.

I also think demanding complete silence during the point is rubbish. So obviously I'm not a purist.

So I don't know if you mean what I'm thinking so Ill draw a comparison:

I took my two oldest stepdaughters to see Passion of the Christ which was a great great movie but I never wanted to see it again-- Are you in that camp or did you just hate The Favourite?

It’s creative. That’s about all I’ll give it credit for. I did not enjoy it.

Reactions: RTR
It’s creative. That’s about all I’ll give it credit for. I did not enjoy it.

Thanks- I was thinking about taking my wife to see it but "creative" is a euphemism for the kind of movie that she will groan and shift in her seat and then beg me to leave so I'll pass-

Because she represents Japan in the Olympics doesn't mean she doesn't also represent America.

They are not mutually exclusive.
I understand what you are saying but, listen to what she is stating. If she were representing the United States as well, she would state so but, she has not. Let it be what she wants. Wow. It would truly seem you protest too much.

I understand what you are saying but, listen to what she is stating. If she were representing the United States as well, she would state so but, she has not. Let it be what she wants. Wow. It would truly seem you protest too much.
Or it could be that you do. I'm merely defending her citizenship, which it appears some would like to revoke based on which team she suits up for in the Olympics.

Please don't confuse rationality with crazy talk.

BUY or SELL: By 2020, Jimbo realizes aggy is the wrong kind of crazy and enters his name in the portal?

(Sell) Where's he going to go? College Station is as good as it’s ever going to get.

Given his contract, maybe he tanks a coupe of seasons to retire early? Force Aggy to fire him and pay him $50 million plus?

ADVERTISEMENT