ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (Reviewing Tom Herman after 1,071 Days...)

The worst part about that is they claim they have a TE out there so the defense can’t sub and they can create mismatches....

....but the last 2 games, the defense was able to sub, anyway, even with a slow te out there. So that whole philosophy and reasoning goes out the window.

It’s infuriating

Yep. I was at the TCU game with 45 yard line seats three rows from the top. In the second half, as soon as the 2nd down whistle blew, they would race in another DB right on cue before our offense got up to the line.

Defenses are more aware of how to substitute more efficiently as well as get their defensive packages set when teama play hurry up. Herman operates like its 2014

The worst part about that is they claim they have a TE out there so the defense can’t sub and they can create mismatches....

....but the last 2 games, the defense was able to sub, anyway, even with a slow te out there. So that whole philosophy and reasoning goes out the window.

It’s infuriating
And it's not like we exploit it when they don't sub, anyway.

Reactions: Cdun
Pretty heroic of you Ketch to be able to write an analysis this good when you had to be suffering a bout of brain constipation due to the flu or some such malady. Perhaps Herman could use this piece as a motivational tool for some of his coaches to do their damn jobs {no excuses accepted}.

Herman and the staff haven't demonstrated the ability to innovate or pivot on the fly. They are hell bent on one way of doing things and then cry injury when it doesn't work.
That's actually very fair.

Pretty heroic of you Ketch to be able to write an analysis this good when you had to be suffering a bout of brain constipation due to the flu or some such malady. Perhaps Herman could use this piece as a motivational tool for some of his coaches to do their damn jobs {no excuses accepted}.
It just took a few mini rest breaks along the way. When I was finished, I wasn't sure if it was good, but I'm sure I was done.;)

Reactions: Baguette
And it's not like we exploit it when they don't sub, anyway.
source.gif

That right there is scary! Because Orlando's Defense is flat out terrible. His scheme was letting OU's offensive linemen get a 10 yard running start to block our db's constantly! No wonder they are all hurt. No injuries upfront or linebackers so no excuse except coaching to help stop the run. Just take away something.

I do understand about the Offense as I see it regressing next year after it loses it's top 2 Wideouts and 2 offensive linemen also. Not a whole lot of creativity to the play calling. Surely we can find someone to help with that! Hell, LSU sure did.

I would think if TX finishes 7-5 some pressure would be applied.
Orlando is not using a scheme that is much different than any other scheme being run in this league. It is an accepted multiple scheme to attack a spread RPO offense. We are just really inexperienced running it, and I think badly coached at the position level. I think that is where you will see some change if there is any. Those coaches are only on 1 year deals.

Hook'em

Here are some quotes from Tom Herman that give us some insights into his mind. Today just got me interested in seeing what is out there.

“Winning on the road is really, really hard.” (After TCU)

“I don’t have time to ask myself hard questions. I ask myself hard questions every day.” Today

“ I literally had to ask someone today, in case I get asked that question, who do we play after K-State?” Today

“I sleep so easy knowing that I never once lied to a player, never once lied to a recruit, and never once lied to coaches or administration.

“You can’t win championships without playing great defense.”

“I’ve failed hundreds of thousands of times.”

“We define our success internally.”

“We have to learn to manage expectations.”

“It’s really hard to go on a 10-, 12-play drive on a good defense and put the ball in the end zone.”

“We know how much better we are now than last year. We just didn’t show it in the 1st quarter or the fourth quarter.”

“It was kind of Lennie with the rabbit and with George, right; that Lennie wanted so badly to touch the rabbit and play with the rabbit, and he squeezed it so hard, he killed the rabbit,” Herman said. “To me, I know that seems maybe out there a little bit, but I think that’s what the first quarter was. We wanted it so badly that we got in our own way quite a bit, and that’s correctable.”

Reactions: Cattledog100
You know LSU and their fans are thanking their lucky stars that Tom Herman chose Texas over LSU. They are ranked number two and playing their third Gameday matchup this year while Texas fans are justifiably scared too death of Kansas State, Iowa State and Baylor.
Sad.......But true......Now even sadder....I remember that day, and laughed when ESPN broke the news that LSU signed that guy everyone called Coach O. And we got our savior.....Oh how that feeling has changed.....

Reactions: AEB1989
Orlando is not using a scheme that is much different than any other scheme being run in this league. It is an accepted multiple scheme to attack a spread RPO offense. We are just really inexperienced running it, and I think badly coached at the position level. I think that is where you will see some change if there is any. Those coaches are only on 1 year deals.

Hook'em
It's less in experience and more not having the right type of players for it.

Those defensive linemen are very hard to find and it's been written about for years how the misses have pilled up.

Reactions: c'est la vie
Here are some quotes from Tom Herman that give us some insights into his mind. Today just got me interested in seeing what is out there.

“Winning on the road is really, really hard.” (After TCU)

“I don’t have time to ask myself hard questions. I ask myself hard questions every day.” Today

“ I literally had to ask someone today, in case I get asked that question, who do we play after K-State?” Today

“I sleep so easy knowing that I never once lied to a player, never once lied to a recruit, and never once lied to coaches or administration.

“You can’t win championships without playing great defense.”

“I’ve failed hundreds of thousands of times.”

“We define our success internally.”

“We have to learn to manage expectations.”

“It’s really hard to go on a 10-, 12-play drive on a good defense and put the ball in the end zone.”

“We know how much better we are now than last year. We just didn’t show it in the 1st quarter or the fourth quarter.”

“It was kind of Lennie with the rabbit and with George, right; that Lennie wanted so badly to touch the rabbit and play with the rabbit, and he squeezed it so hard, he killed the rabbit,” Herman said. “To me, I know that seems maybe out there a little bit, but I think that’s what the first quarter was. We wanted it so badly that we got in our own way quite a bit, and that’s correctable.”

This was the one that got me.

“I don’t have time to ask myself hard questions. I ask myself hard questions every day.”

It's less in experience and more not having the right type of players for it.

Those defensive linemen are very hard to find and it's been written about for years how the misses have pilled up.
Yes, I don't disagree with this. They say in any 3-down linemen defense your DE's need to be your normal 2 or 3 technique Defensive Tackle types and not the DE type 5's that we have...although Charles O was just tall enough and bulky enough to play the 2-3 technique very well. I also always wondered why anyone in this defense except the 0-1 technique would ever have his hand on the ground, especially if he is more of a 5 playing that 2-3 position. Why not just stand up and use your quickness to gain leverage? Anyway, he is a good article on drafting the 3 & 5 techniques.

https://www.dawgsbynature.com/2011/...gy-the-three-technique-and-the-five-technique

Hook'em

Reactions: boernefan
I’m not sure if this falls in the category of “game management”, but I consistently find Texas to be one of the lowest IQ football teams that I watch every Saturday. And I’m not calling the players “dumb”.

It’s things like unnecessary penalties at inopportune times, weekly targeting penalties on supposed defensive “leaders”, pre-snap penalties putting us behind the chains and off-schedule, decisions on whether or not to field a punt (or kickoff), WRs not getting upfield to make a first down instead of trying to make a move on a DB, TE & OT not knowing who to take on an edge blitz, running a 190-lb WR out of Wildcat on 4th and 2, ball carriers not getting out of bounds in 2-minute offense.

And on and on.

I watch a lot of games each weekend, and I’m amazed at how consistently Texas is one of the lowest IQ teams I see weekly. It’s not just dumb coaching decisions / “game management”, it’s players who seem uninformed in critical aspects that contribute to winning and losing. Penalties are a dreadful indicator of team IQ at Texas.

Mostly young players and lots of changes among them.

Reactions: boernefan
This was the one that got me.

“I don’t have time to ask myself hard questions. I ask myself hard questions every day.”
I mean....bro. Wtf are we doing here?

The coaching staff really doesn't have a choice. The remaining tight ends aren't ready to be the kind of contributor that Cade Brewer represented.

8 Games: 10 receptions, 149 receiving yards, 1 TD. Circa 400 plays?

Should TE production have been replaced with a 4th WR earlier? @Ketchum?

If that happens

I think they can win out
But what the hell do I know

After the way Texas has been playing defense, how does a sane person think we can win out? Our defense is a total joke. Folks, we almost lost to KANSAS at home. We suck until we don’t. K-State will beat Texas on Saturday.......Starters back? Whatever.....

I can guarantee you there will not be a new DC. This defensive problem is not being laid at the feet of Orlando because of the losses from last year and the injuries. A lot of the big boosters are actually more concerned about our predictable junior high offense than they are our defensive woes.

There may be some position coaches not retained because they are on 1 year deals, but we will not get a new DC, or OC for that matter because Herman is still protecting Beck.

Hook'em

You think Orlando gets retained for 2020 for producing the worst defense in school history? What are we now 117 out of 130 in defense? Sure keep Orlando and keep that 3-4, never mind the results they are buddies!!! No effing way Todd is here next year........

Yes, I don't disagree with this. They say in any 3-down linemen defense your DE's need to be your normal 2 or 3 technique Defensive Tackle types and not the DE type 5's that we have...although Charles O was just tall enough and bulky enough to play the 2-3 technique very well. I also always wondered why anyone in this defense except the 0-1 technique would ever have his hand on the ground, especially if he is more of a 5 playing that 2-3 position. Why not just stand up and use your quickness to gain leverage? Anyway, he is a good article on drafting the 3 & 5 techniques.

https://www.dawgsbynature.com/2011/...gy-the-three-technique-and-the-five-technique

Hook'em
It's a really tough projection from high school to college, especially when the state isn't producing those types of projections in high volume.

I think it might take a game or two before the comfort is there and the special qualities are revealed.
My main concern is he comes in for a play or two then re-injures himself. Since this year is pretty much a wash while next year is supposed to be “the year” (again), wouldn’t it make sense to put a redshirt on him?

Sad.......But true......Now even sadder....I remember that day, and laughed when ESPN broke the news that LSU signed that guy everyone called Coach O. And we got our savior.....Oh how that feeling has changed.....
I literally lived this issue today. A guy I work with is an LSU grad. He thanked me today for UT hiring TH. I had no comeback.

Still not sure what I am doing this weekend, but I can tell you what I’m not doing.

I see you still haven’t forgotten about that girl Herman took a picture with almost 3 years ago

My main concern is he comes in for a play or two then re-injures himself. Since this year is pretty much a wash while next year is supposed to be “the year” (again), wouldn’t it make sense to put a redshirt on him?
I think he's one of the best talents/players on the team if he's healthy.

You have to play him.

I've been saying that since week one.

I think some on the board other than you and I share this view.

I suggest CTH could make this change (from "11" personnel to 4 WR) and benefit the team, and that the team needs this to be one of the opportunities CTH avails himself and the team of.

Rigid commitment to a formation when the team doesn't have the personnel for that formation to be optimum is a wasted opportunity where one cannot be afforded. IMO.

What he’s doing is deflecting because if he answers with a statement about being introspective and having open dialogue about things that aren’t working then he’s admitting his system isn’t working and he didn’t already have it figured out with the right people to carry it out. The problem is that is totally transparent to everyone else and he just looks like an insulated stubborn know it all that’s failing.

With some that can't or won't see the long range and bigger picture.
For those of us that can see and understand that we are 2 1/2 years into a 5 year project we know we are on our way back, just not there yet.

ADVERTISEMENT