ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (Revisiting the Boogie Nights theory... when will it end? )

Pierce has brought in the fences and recruited hitters like Hibbeler and Zubia. I have hopes for the offense going forward but have concerns for the defense.

Chris Jessie as Scotty - yeah, that is spot on.

Laurie Metcalf would be an upset to win and Frances McDormand would be an upset to lose in their categories but both should be winners.

Reactions: drunk randoke
Ketch how would you rate this 10 Thoughts column out of your last 50 or so?

Wouldnt it probably be last or very near to it?

Reads like you are suffering from writer’s block. Good grief.

How much is the 2019 recruit class related to the 2017 season performance? Seems like it has to be significant if you think 2018 is going to be too late to matter much. Hard to totally ignore reality and just focus on dreams and prayers.

I guess Herman doesn't have the advantage JimAggie has since he has to own his first season where Jimbo can promise Natties as if those actually happen for aggie. Well, at least they haven't happened at aggie since players started wearing helmets.
To a degree... some. There are other dynamics involved. Each year is its own snowflake.

How about giving the baseball team a chance to get into the season before deciding everything is going downhill because they are not undefeated in first seven games.
That's pretty much what I said I was doing. I merely commented on initial impressions.

You thought the Roach game winner was "drawn up" after the timeout?

"Ok, Jericho, go set a really bad pick for Kerwin and roll to the three point line with everyone else. Kerwin, you get double teamed and dribble to half court. Then, crossover the defender, drive to the basket and make a left handed layup with your right hand underneath a OSU post defender. Break!"
No, that's not what I said or thought at all.

Ketch how would you rate this 10 Thoughts column out of your last 50 or so?

Wouldnt it probably be last or very near to it?

Reads like you are suffering from writer’s block. Good grief.
I set a pretty high standard, I know. Probably 38th,

Please tell me what I’m missing in The Shape of Water. Saw it two weeks ago and thought it was dumb. Visually appealing, sure, but otherwise dumb. Just plain dumb.

Give me Three Billboards all day and twice on Sunday.
I thought it was a beautiful modern day homage to Beauty and the Beast.

Three Billboards has even bigger holes in its script than the fairy tale.

Three Billboards has even bigger holes in its script than the fairy tale.

Agree completely. Plus, we did not need all of the F Bombs from the Woody Harrelson character. To say they were gratuitous is an understatement. And then the deputy sheriff finds redemption? No way that cracker changed one bit.

Let me guess how this went down:

The Orangeblood staff was all at Happy Hour and someone mentioned Boogie Nights. Five beers and 2 shots later someone bet Ketch he couldn't write an article comparing the Longhorn Athletics fall from grace to a movie that features Mark Wahlberg wearing a prosthetic weiner.

It's the dog days of the off season so you took a shot. I like the idea.

With regards to Texas basketball, I'm not going to claim it was anything more than an ugly win.

But damn we need to come out on the right side of a close game for a change.

And for the first time in 2 months we actively got the ball down into the hands of a big.

Call me crazy but I'll take 20 shots from Sims in the paint over Coleman, Roach, Febres or anyone else on this team jacking up 3's with 4 seconds left on the shot clock.

Agree completely. Plus, we did not need all of the F Bombs from the Woody Harrelson character. To say they were gratuitous is an understatement. And then the deputy sheriff finds redemption? No way that cracker changed one bit.
The tale of redemption is one of the sillier aspects of what that movie tried to do, but it doesn't hold a candle to the aftermath of the molotov cocktail scene.

Reactions: I Hear Voices
Let me guess how this went down:

The Orangeblood staff was all at Happy Hour and someone mentioned Boogie Nights. Five beers and 2 shots later someone bet Ketch he couldn't write an article comparing the Longhorn Athletics fall from grace to a movie that features Mark Wahlberg wearing a prosthetic weiner.

It's the dog days of the off season so you took a shot. I like the idea.
Well, that's pretty much how it went down five years ago.

Reactions: txfight
I'm with you about Bamba tonight, and wouldn't shock me if Texas thinks the same. He clearly hasn't been right the last couple games, and let's be real: Saturday at home is a much better chance than tonight at Kansas.

I'm with you about Bamba tonight, and wouldn't shock me if Texas thinks the same. He clearly hasn't been right the last couple games, and let's be real: Saturday at home is a much better chance than tonight at Kansas.
Kansas is a 9.5 favorite.

Put every cent you have on the Jayhawks.

This is the aspect of the movie that grabs me the most when I think about the symbolism with the Longhorn athletic program. Like the movie, the Longhorn universe seemed to change on a dime after one single impactful moment, and while it might not have been New Year's when that moment occurred, it's not far off.

January 7, 2010.

That really is the night that everything changed for the Longhorns and it's a surreal feeling to stand back and think about everything that has happened on the 40 Acres since Colt McCoy was injured in fairly freakish fashion in the national championship game against Alabama. Three-plus years later, the fear that overcame the entire Longhorn universe when it watched McCoy walk off the field for the final time in a Longhorn uniform remains ominous.

Just as it was in the movie, the ushering in of a new decade has proven to be an unkind awakening. An athletic program that was on top of the world in seemingly every major men's sport (basketball team was No. 1 in the country just weeks earlier and the baseball team played for the national title in 2009 as well) has never been the same.

On a somewhat related note, with the latest drama surrounding Kawhi and the Spurs, I have been asking myself this question over the weekend... Is the Zaza/Kawhi moment on May 14, 2017 THE MOMENT for the Spurs that will send their franchise into NBA purgatory for the next decade? It is too early to tell, but there are also too many warning signs to discount the idea.

Prior to the moment, the Spurs had 20 consecutive years of sustained success that is unmatched in NBA history. They had a top 3 player who was 25 years old and just about to enter his prime NBA years. They had a 25 point lead in the Western Conference Finals over the best team in the NBA in the last 3 years on their own floor.

Then Zaza happened, just like the Marcel Dareus moment happened. Then I think about everything that has happened since:

1. The Spurs record since that moment occurred: 36-29, which isn't terrible but certainly not near the level of any other Spurs team the last two decades. This will be the first season since 1996-97 where they fail to win at least 50 games, and the first season since 96-97 where they will have a losing road record.
2. Total number of games and minutes played by Kawhi since that moment: 9 and 220.
3. Mysterious Kawhi quad injury shows up out of nowhere forcing him to miss basically the entire season.
4. Public dissention and drama between the Kawhi camp and Spurs unlike anything that has ever happened with the Spurs and one of their stars.
5. Worst Spurs offseason of the last 20 years in the free agency department last summer, highlighted by bad long-term contracts given out to Gasol and Mills, not being able to re-sign Simmons, and not closing the deal with Chris Paul or any other top-tier PG.

There's a chance that this year is a one-year blip on the radar for the Spurs, Kawhi returns to MVP form next year, his quad injury goes away forever, the relationship with Kawhi is restored and he signs a super max extension this summer, they find someone to take Gasol's bad contract this summer, and even a chance that they sign LeBron this summer to team up with Kawhi and take down the Warriors, winning multiple more championships.

Or there is a chance that Kawhi demands a trade this summer, LeBron goes to the Rockets, they can't dump Gasol's contract, LaMarcus's knee starts hurting again, or Kawhi signs a super-max deal, plays in 10 games, his quad injury flares back up, and he has to retire because his quad is a chronic condition with $200M left on his contract.

I think this one could get West Virginia ugly.

It's possible. I could see Kansas encouraging Texas to fire away deep jumpers and getting a bunch of runouts. Could also see Texas playing way over its head for stretches while Kansas comes off the Texas Tech road win and Big 12 title. In the end, probably be something like 12-15.

On a somewhat related note, with the latest drama surrounding Kawhi and the Spurs, I have been asking myself this question over the weekend... Is the Zaza/Kawhi moment on May 14, 2017 THE MOMENT for the Spurs that will send their franchise into NBA purgatory for the next decade? It is too early to tell, but there are also too many warning signs to discount the idea.

Prior to the moment, the Spurs had 20 consecutive years of sustained success that is unmatched in NBA history. They had a top 3 player who was 25 years old and just about to enter his prime NBA years. They had a 25 point lead in the Western Conference Finals over the best team in the NBA in the last 3 years on their own floor.

Then Zaza happened, just like the Marcel Dareus moment happened. Then I think about everything that has happened since:

1. The Spurs record since that moment occurred: 36-29, which isn't terrible but certainly not near the level of any other Spurs team the last two decades. This will be the first season since 1996-97 where they fail to win at least 50 games, and the first season since 96-97 where they will have a losing road record.
2. Total number of games and minutes played by Kawhi since that moment: 9 and 220.
3. Mysterious Kawhi quad injury shows up out of nowhere forcing him to miss basically the entire season.
4. Public dissention and drama between the Kawhi camp and Spurs unlike anything that has ever happened with the Spurs and one of their stars.
5. Worst Spurs offseason of the last 20 years in the free agency department last summer, highlighted by bad long-term contracts given out to Gasol and Mills, not being able to re-sign Simmons, and not closing the deal with Chris Paul or any other top-tier PG.

There's a chance that this year is a one-year blip on the radar for the Spurs, Kawhi returns to MVP form next year, his quad injury goes away forever, the relationship with Kawhi is restored and he signs a super max extension this summer, they find someone to take Gasol's bad contract this summer, and even a chance that they sign LeBron this summer to team up with Kawhi and take down the Warriors, winning multiple more championships.

Or there is a chance that Kawhi demands a trade this summer, LeBron goes to the Rockets, they can't dump Gasol's contract, LaMarcus's knee starts hurting again, or Kawhi signs a super-max deal, plays in 10 games, his quad injury flares back up, and he has to retire because his quad is a chronic condition with $200M left on his contract.
Yikes!

It's possible. I could see Kansas encouraging Texas to fire away deep jumpers and getting a bunch of runouts. Could also see Texas playing way over its head for stretches while Kansas comes off the Texas Tech road win and Big 12 title. In the end, probably be something like 12-15.
That team that was on the floor the other day is only capable of beating OSU in conference play and will get drilled by a really good team f the really good team plays 75-percent of its ability.

I'm expecting a beat-down.

You mean they still do the Academy Awards??? And if so, who the hell cares?
giphy.gif

The whole Leonard, Spurs saga is a very odd thing with unexplained storylines. A guy with a sprained ankle does not have these kind of odd injuries and both sides not knowing if Leonard is playing this season or not is not Spurs like. Coach Pop and the GM have done an incredibly good job with finding talent. However, bringing in LA and Gasol as free agent stars were weak decisions. The Spurs need to figure out the Leonard thing, get rid of both Gasol and LA.

ADVERTISEMENT