ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From The Weekend (Saying the quiet part out loud)

No, if we would have been able to play the three canceled games, we would probably be 9-3 and playing for a ten win season.
Would that satisfy me? No, of course not.
We needed to play those two games to install the offense and defense before we started conference play.
Than we might have had a satisfactory season.
So close and yet so far.
A satisfactory season and Herman wouldn’t be on the hot seat and recruiting would be great.
You keep postulating that Tom Herman is going to let these two new coordinators put in completely new schemes ...that's not going to happen...as you have seen.

Wow. You just proceeded to deploy your redundant Passer Rating obsession to completely trash Sam Ehlinger and essentially blame the inaccuracy of UT’s 2nd all time passing leader for ALL of UT’s shortcomings under Herman. So the reliable warrior and team leader who, more than any other player, is responsible for staving off 3 losing seasons in the past 4, deserves this type of classless, irresponsible send-off?

Did it ever occur to you that a QB’s passer rating is greatly determined by the OC, the offensive scheme, the caliber of receivers and O-Line and not just the QB’s accuracy? Did you happen to notice that Jalen Hurts, not exactly an elite passer, posted a 171.3 rating his one season at OU in The Lincoln Riley system surrounded by great talent? Like Jalen, Sam makes All American and gets invited to the Heisman ceremony if he’d had the good fortune to play in Lincoln‘s offense.

Disappointing.
I don’t think Sam’s girlfriend blows him this much.

You keep postulating that Tom Herman is going to let these two new coordinators put in completely new schemes ...that's not going to happen...as you have seen.
I think that has happened. The defense was good the last four or five games and the offense finally started playing in the KSU game. I wish we could have played the Kansas game for practice (and observation) before the bowl game.
I like our current staff.
I have a lot of faith that CDC will make the right choice for Texas. Find a great coach as a replacement for Herman or keep Herman and give him (force him) what he needs to be successful.
New practice facility. Improved support staff. Etc. You name it.

I think that has happened. The defense was good the last four or five games and the offense finally started playing in the KSU game. I wish we could have played the Kansas game for practice (and observation) before the bowl game.
I like our current staff.
I have a lot of faith that CDC will make the right choice for Texas. Find a great coach as a replacement for Herman or keep Herman and give him (force him) what he needs to be successful.
New practice facility. Improved support staff. Etc. You name it.
Well, it's all moot now.
TH will coach his last TX game next Tuesday.

Reactions: seahawkhorn
FYI it isn't CDC 's decision . Hook em
Ok, Texas wants it to look like CDC’s decision. I am pretty sure there is a lot of analysis and discussion going on inside the building.
I can only hope they make a good decision. IMO, we will have a very talented team next year.

No.

But, I'm torn. I KNOW the people behind the scenes are saying this. I also know that CDC is the face of all this and he was about 5 seconds away from putting a lot more into that release 10 days ago.

I think it comes down to making sure they have a hire in place. I'd be stunned if they made a move to hire someone like Sark. That is NOT the level of hire they have deemed essential.

It comes down to not allowing themselves to end up with a B-hire.
@Ketchum - If Urban Meyer says no, it seems to me, basis reading between the lines of your comments, Brian Kelly would be either 1 or 2 on the priority call list for UT. Is that a fair statement?

Ok, Texas wants it to look like CDC’s decision. I am pretty sure there is a lot of analysis and discussion going on inside the building.
Who the heck do you think is doing all of this “analysis and discussion” and inside of what building? If that statement is accurate, I actually have empathy for Mensa.

* can't redshirt prospects
* tough entrance requirements
* staff underpaid compared to the market
* salary for HC is kind of a pain.

Given some of the ties of Urban wanting the ND job, possibly, some day.
Do these challenges impact his “perfect” situation to return to coaching?

I redshirt can still only be applied through medical or some other significant issue from what I understand. It still requires a written a appeal which is far from a slam dunk.

Most of their linemen do not redshirt.

See this senior. Didn't play a snap as a true freshman, but the school classifies him as a senior.

Just getting to this now, but....

As an ND grad (now living in Austin) who follow both teams very, very closely.....I can tell you that you're wrong about this.

ND absolutely redshirts now.
That old "rule" at ND ended about 15ish years ago (or more).

In fact, now practically every single OL and DL redshirt at ND....including all 3 of their 1st Team All-Pro's
(Zach Martin, Quenton Nelson, Ronnie Stanley)

The confusion you're probably having is that ND lists their players by academic year, rather than "football year".
(so rosters will never say "RS Frosh"....but you will see rosters say "Graduate Student/5th Year")

Just getting to this now, but....

As an ND grad (now living in Austin) who follow both teams very, very closely.....I can tell you that you're wrong about this.

ND absolutely redshirts now.
That old "rule" at ND ended about 15ish years ago (or more).

In fact, now practically every single OL and DL redshirt at ND....including all 3 of their 1st Team All-Pro's
(Zach Martin, Quenton Nelson, Ronnie Stanley)

The confusion you're probably having is that ND lists their players by academic year, rather than "football year".
(so rosters will never say "RS Frosh"....but you will see rosters say "Graduate Student/5th Year")

so ND is an academic school? who knew? lol. reminds me as a UofL alum where Milt Wagner on the basketball team broke his ankle in the 1985 season and just on the cut line to take a redshirt medical and return in 1986. i think it was the very last game he could have played and still taken a redshirt. the next season Louisville won the NCCA tournament for the second time under Denny Crum so this was a team that shouldn't have existed without that bad "break".

Wagner wasn't the most studious guy in college and when UofL opened NCAA tourney play that year their first round opponent was Drexel. some reporter asked Wagner what he though of Drexel and he replied "Is that one of those academic schools?"

uh .. they are all academic schools Milt.

so ND is an academic school? who knew? lol. reminds me as a UofL alum where Milt Wagner on the basketball team broke his ankle in the 1985 season and just on the cut line to take a redshirt medical and return in 1986. i think it was the very last game he could have played and still taken a redshirt. the next season Louisville won the NCCA tournament for the second time under Denny Crum so this was a team that shouldn't have existed without that bad "break".

Wagner wasn't the most studious guy in college and when UofL opened NCAA tourney play that year their first round opponent was Drexel. some reporter asked Wagner what he though of Drexel and he replied "Is that one of those academic schools?"

uh .. they are all academic schools Milt.

Huh?

ADVERTISEMENT