ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (Six months into his new job and Herman has OU on tilt)

... Speaking of birthday presents, Liverpool gave me an early one with its 4-0 win over West Ham on Sunday. One more win, Reds, one more win.

... Cristiano Ronaldo scored his 400th goal for Real Madrid this weekend. I'm happy I fell in love with soccer in time to appreciate his greatness.

You forgot to mention some pretty important news from the weekend

Chelsea-FC-Champions-Winner-of-the-English-Premier-League-Season-2016-2017.jpg

a. Watson isn't better than Dak.
b. Foreman isn't in the same class as Zeke.
c. Neither have played a game as a pro.
d. Slow down.;)

You're still missing the point. It's not whether or not Deshaun and D'Onta are better players than Dak or Zeke. It's about which team looks closer to making a super bowl given the fact that each team made the same round of the playoffs last year, Houston did far more to upgrade their roster compared to Dallas so far this offseason, and the AFC will present a much easier path to the Super Bowl over the next 3-5 years.

Watson was better than Dak in 2015 when both were in college... way better in fact. There's a reason one was drafted top half of the first round and the other wasn't drafted until the 3rd round. Watson was also pretty damn good last year too by the way.

Reactions: Ace Boogie!
Just because both teams lost in the same round of the playoffs, does not magically make them the same quality of team. Who knows how well things work out for the Texans this year, but you're putting a lot into suppositions, and not a lot into facts. Ones like "Houston went 9-7, and got to play the Jaguars twice. And still only managed to beat them by a combined 4 points in 2 games". Or "Dallas went 13-3, and lost one on a meaningless game at the end of the season. And lost the other two by a combined 4 points".

I get that, but part of the question is the factor that the AFC presents a far easier path to the super bowl than the NFC. Dallas has to deal with Cam and Carolina, Rodgers and Green Bay, Wilson and Seattle, Eli and the Giants, etc., while the AFC looks completely wide open in 1-2 years once Brady and Big Ben retire.

Note that I never asked which team was a better team. I asked which team will make a super bowl first.

Last edited:
I think Watson and Foreman will be great eventually, but what Dak and Zeke did is unprecedented in the NFL.
It's crazy to think another duo of rookie RB and QB comes in the league and lead in rushing yards and top five in QBR like that again.

I know a lot of fans will think they can get the next great QB, RB, or both and light the league on fire in year one, but this may not happen to that degree again or at the least a long time from now.
bingo.

Zeke's greatness is undervalued. If Foreman is half the pro, the Texans will have a steal.

Reactions: MBarnett
I get that, but part of the question is the factor that the AFC presents a far easier path to the super bowl than the NFC. Dallas has to deal with Cam and Carolina, Rodgers and Green Bay, Wilson and Seattle, Eli and the Giants, etc., while the AFC looks completely wide open in 1-2 years once Brady and Big Ben retire.
I understand your excitement. I'm a Cowboys fan and I'm a bit excited about the Texans, too. I think people are pointing out that you seem to be living in this realm that could be reality, but isn't just quite yet. The Cowboys were one of the best teams in the league last year and just ran into a transcendent talent at QB putting on an otherworldly performance. He came back down to earth, but he would've beat anyone that day. For now at the very least, Cowboys >Texans.

I understand your excitement. I'm a Cowboys fan and I'm a bit excited about the Texans, too. I think people are pointing out that you seem to be living in this realm that could be reality, but isn't just quite yet. The Cowboys were one of the best teams in the league last year and just ran into a transcendent talent at QB putting on an otherworldly performance. He came back down to earth, but he would've beat anyone that day. For now at the very least, Cowboys >Texans.

I'm not disagreeing with anything you said at all, and I don't see it as a who's better, Cowboys or Texans debate. My belief is if you take a Texans team last year that made the divisional round, add JJ Watt back into the mix, get league average level QB play from Watson, and add in some D'Onta Foreman explosive runs, you have added enough to go from the divisional round to the conference championship round, where you now sit 1 win away from making the Super Bowl.

Dallas did run into a transcendent QB last year, and guess what... he still plays in the NFC. He didn't switch over to the AFC last time I checked. Neither did Cam or Russell Wilson or Eli.

Brady will be 40 when the next season starts, Big Ben's body is 57 years old, and who else in the AFC presents a team that the Texans can't beat after those two guys retire or their bodies break down in the very immediate future? The dysfunctional Raiders?

This will be my final post. You can't teach reading comprehension to a 40 year old columnist.

You can almost feel the frustration coming out of Norman right now.

After winning back to back Big 12 titles, the members of the Oklahoma football coaching staff probably felt like the last couple of seasons would open up the doors in recruiting within the Lone Star State among the top players, which hasn't consistently happened for much of the last decade. When you consider that arch-rival Texas has been floundering below .500 for three straight seasons, a guy like OU co-defensive coordinator Kerry Cooks had to think consecutive top-five finishes would create more than enough street cred to deal with anything coming out of Austin.

Right?

Right?

Well, as history has displayed over the course of the last two decades, not so much, actually. What the last few weeks have revealed is something that we've seen throughout the Bob Stoops era at Oklahoma, which is the reality that there's nothing Stoops and Co. can do in recruiting against Texas when Texas is remotely headed in the right direction.

Cooks might be relatively knew to the rivalry, but Texas taking Oklahoma's recruiting cornbread, whether they like it or not, is something we've seen before. Maybe Cooks should have asked one of the Stoops brothers about it before getting smacked around by Michelle Herman this week.

It was just a little more than 16 years ago when one of the more infamous stories involving the Texas/OU rivalry in recruiting took place in the aftermath of former Texas running back Selvin Young's commitment. After smacking Texas around in consecutive years in the Cotton Bowl, the OU staff was certain that those wins combined with a national title would be enough to combat Texas on the recruiting trails, but every time a decision seemed to come in that year, the Sooners kept losing to the Longhorns.

It didn't matter if it was linebacker Garnet Smith or offensive lineman Justin Blalock or defensive lineman Neale Tweedie. All you could find that year were OU losses in the living rooms of the elite prospects in the state of Texas.

Young was the straw that broke the camel's back. With Cedric Benson making waves as a true freshman starter in 2001, the feeling in the OU football facility was that there was no way Young would pick Texas over the Sooners, but then it happened.

In the process, an OU assistant coach (I believe it was Mike Stoops) went on the radio in Dallas and let loose with his public dismay over what was taking place in recruiting.

Hello, history. I see you are back to repeating yourself again.

Tom Herman hasn't so much as coached in a game yet and he's pulling a Mack Brown by putting OU coaches on tilt because of his recruiting success, both inside the state of Texas and in Stoops' own backyard. There aren't that many big-time prospects coming out of Oklahoma on a yearly basis, so the one thing that can't happen for the Sooners is losing to Texas IN OKLAHOMA! It just can't happen. Hell, in theory it should never happen when Oklahoma is on its A-game.

Yet, here we are. In taking quarterback Casey Thompson and defensive end Ron Tatum from Stoops' backyard, the Texas coaches have put the coaches with all of those Big 12 championship trophies in their locker room on the defensive.

Basically, when your sales-pitch is flopping, start tweeting about wolves, which as Mrs. Herman pointed out on Twitter, is a very misunderstood animal.

It has to be a pretty helpless feeling to have no other direction in which to turn.

Clearly.

The good news for the Sooners is that no program in the country does insecurity as well as Oklahoma and if you don't believe me, just wait, Bob Stoops will do an interview soon in which he reminds you at least three times of how many trophies he's won.

The bad news for the Longhorns is that for all of that Oklahoma insecurity and for all those recruiting wins over the last two decades, the Sooners have three times as much hardware in the trophy case to show for it.

It's up to Herman to change that.

No. 2 – Closing the deal with Zaire ...

With five days to go until former Notre Dame quarterback Malik Zaire announces his decision on where he intends to play his senior season , things seem to be trending quite nicely for the Longhorns.

Here are the three most important things that stand out to me.

1. Tom Herman wants Malik Zaire.
2. Zaire really likes Texas.
3. Herman and Zaire need to have one more conversation.

If Herman can convey that he absolutely intends to have Zaire compete for the starting job and won't use him purely as insurance, I'm starting to think this can happen.

That conversation could mean everything. Make it a good one, Tom.

No. 3 – Better Late Than Never ...

It's officially been a week since Cibolo Steele defensive back Caden Sterns switched his commitment from LSU to Texas and I'm of the opinion that the news still warrants its own section.

So, if you'll indulge me ...

Wow. That happened. Seemingly five seconds after visiting the 40 Acres and emerging as a viable monster in the Texas 2018 recruiting class, he committed. Just like that.

A few thoughts after having a week to stew on it.

1. I'm starting to wonder if Tom Herman hasn't been slipping prospects the same stuff that the family in "Get Out" was serving to all the boyfriends that came home to meet the parents.

2. I've been a little slow to push Sterns into the top 10 of the Lone Star Recruiting rankings because I had less information on him so many others in the state, especially with his junior highlights/film only released recently. My general thoughts is that a complete evaluation of him would come through in the spring with more of a sample size to draw from outside of his sophomore season and junior off-season.

In some ways his commitment to the Tigers had made him kind of an "Out of sight, out of mind" player, but with his commitment to the Longhorns, I made a point of taking a closer look at Sterns and I came away thinking...

He's got some Michael Griffin in him.

The size/athleticism combo ... the ball skills ... the physicality ... I'm telling you, it's all there. It's been nearly 15 years since Griffin came out of Austin Bowie and I don't think I've ever compared a player from this state to him since, but Sterns has a lot of the same skills. Actually, it's kind of uncanny.

3. Sterns is the best prospect in the San Antonio area and getting the best prospect from that area every year should be a priority. Mission accomplished. The same has to be true of the Metroplex, Houston and East Texas. Every year.

No. 4 – Recruiting song of the day ...

With a possible Brennan Eagles pledge looming in the near-distance ...

No. 5 – Scattershooting on the Longhorns …

... Michelle Herman's Tweet-game is savage. Talk about wielding a velvet sledgehammer. God help the Austin media member that crosses her for the first time.

... From the Department of Tweets You'll Like: This just can't be a bad sign in the recruitment of four-star tight end Malcolm Epps.

... Congrats to Montrell Estell for winning the Class 3A triple-jump. Signed, President of the Estell Fan Club.

... I get the feeling that if Chris Warren has a big season, we're never going to hear the end of it from Anwar. ;)

No. 6 – Buy or sell …

BUY or SELL: This time next year we are in the top 10 preseason?

(Buy) 2018 has always been the season when I can comfortably see Texas back in the top 10.

BUY or SELL: Nine-win expectations for the upcoming season are unrealistic at this point even when factoring in all the positive momentum?

(Sell) It depends on your definition of unrealistic. I'm not sure that it's likely, but I think it's an attainable goal.

BUY or SELL: Tom Herman loved it when his wife tweeted back at the OU coaches?

(Buy) Momma Horn wasn't jumping into the fray without some sort of approval from Papa Horn.

BUY or SELL: With all of the QBs on campus and "verbally committed," Roschon Johnson (considered a heavy Texas lean) is still the best "fit" to Herman's offensive scheme?

(Buy) Or Malik Zaire.

BUY or SELL: Texas is still the school most likely to land Anthony Cook?

(Buy) Texas not getting Cook would surprise me.

BUY or SELL: Our lack of depth is a major concern with the physical nature of Tom Herman's training camps and practices?

(Buy) That's probably fair. This isn't a team that can withstand a lot of key injuries and expect to keep the nine-win dream alive. For instance, what on earth would this team do if Connor Williams had to miss a month?

BUY or SELL: Somewhere in the UT administration is someone who hired Steve Patterson with the idea that he would do the hard stuff and then be canned?

(Buy) I think everyone thought he would last longer than 15 minutes, but he was always going to be the hatchet man that did some of the needed dirty work coming out of the DeLoss era.

BUY or SELL: A Deshaun Watson/D'Onta Foreman backfield pairing wins and/or makes a Super Bowl before a Dak Prescott/Zeke Elliott pairing does?

(Sell) lol, my friend.

BUY or SELL: Off topic threads have skyrocketed over the last two years because Texas Football has sucked?

(Sell) Two?

No. 7 – Texas Baseball weekend in a gif …

giphy.gif

No. 8 – There's always a comeback in the NBA ...

For the better part of game one of the Western Conference Finals, the Golden State Warriors looked like a guy coming off of vacation on his first day at work and the San Antonio Spurs punished them for it.

Funny thing is, even when the lead was 25 points, the furious comeback by the Warriors was something you could set your watch to because in the NBA, no lead is truly ever safe from the home team. The run was always going to come, the question was whether the Warriors would have enough left in the tank to finish the job once they climbed back into the game.

Then, Kawhi Leonard left the game with injury right about the time Steph Curry and Kevin Durant started to heat up ... and you just knew. It's going to take more than Pop and some duct-tape to beat the Warriors, regardless of the lead previously built up.

Golden State 1 Duct Tape 0

You can't give away games in a seven-game series against a team like the Warriors and it's hard to not feel like the basketball gods were unfairly cruel to the Spurs, as the team's margin of error is much smaller now than it was 12 hours ago.

No. 9 – Eternal Randomness of the Spotty Sports Mind …

... I can't be alone in feeling sorry for Matt Harvey, at least just a little. Can you imagine having Adriana Lima in your universe and then having her taken away, except for the part where she's talking to another ex-girlfriend? I'd be on tilt, too.

... Vegas win totals for the 2017 NFL season have been set and the bookies have the Cowboys at 9.5 wins. The only teams above them are New England (12.5), Green Bay (10.5), Pittsburgh (10.5) and Seattle (10.5). I kind of like Dallas to go over that number by a game or two. Oh, my God, is that optimism coming from this self-loathing fan?

... I'm pulling for the Wizards. It won't make a difference, but I'd like to see John Wall on the Eastern Conference Finals stage.

... You'll never get me to say anyone other than Michael Jordan is the GOAT, but LeBron James is building one hell of a case to be the no-doubt-about-it No. 2 player of all-time.

... I hate to say it, but the UFC has really lost some steam with me as it relates to my fandom. For the last five or six years, I've purchased every pay-per-view the company has offered, but that has changed in 2017 and I flat out passed on this weekend's card when forced to make a decision. Don't get me wrong, I'm all-in when Jones/Cormier II takes place, which was announced this weekend, but I need Dana White to improve these card line-ups if he's going to get my money every time.

... The most important day of the year for Sixers fans is Tuesday night ... Ping pong ball time! Will the basketball gods give this Sixers fan a present on his birthday? Pretty please.

... Speaking of birthday presents, Liverpool gave me an early one with its 4-0 win over West Ham on Sunday. One more win, Reds, one more win.

... Cristiano Ronaldo scored his 400th goal for Real Madrid this weekend. I'm happy I fell in love with soccer in time to appreciate his greatness.

No. 10 – And finally…

Last, but certainly not least, I'd like to wish one more Happy Mother's day to all of the moms out there. As a lifetime momma's boy, I know I wouldn't be anywhere in life without mine.

Thanks, mom.

With the sooners constantly recruiting criminals the word is out. imo

- OU coaches could be in the Playa Haters Ball. They showed a lot of desperation last week.

- Michelle Herman is UT's version of Cookie Lyons. You don't want to mess with her.
cookie-lyon-gif-the-streets-aint-made-for-everybody-thats-why-they-made-sidewalks.gif

- Chris Warren III is the truth. Considering Stan Drayton and Tom Herman agree, I'm in good company.

- I pointed this out to another poster, but Texas could have defeated Cal, Oklahoma, Kansas State, West Virginia and Kansas last year. You can safely argue coaching was the difference in each game, which could easily put Texas in the 9-win discussion with Herman. I also get the feeling Texas will never botch another coin toss, or have egregious special teams mistakes.

- Cowboys were very fortunate health wise last season. I need to think about that betting line.

- UFC fighters are avoiding each other, while the top boxers are finally fighting each other (see what happens when Mayweather leaves the sport). I'm counting down to GGG vs. Canelo.

- LeBron James is so good, people don't appreciate the amount of times he carried his teams to the finals.
Mrs. Herman as Cookie is perfect in so many ways.

Chris Warren is just a guy right now in my mind. Slightly more than that. That's the truth.

Yes, if Texas had won every single 50-50, 40-60 or 30-70 game it played a year ago, I suppose nine wins would have been possible. The mathematical probability of that is pretty unlikely, though.

Cowboys will regress this season. Definitely.

UFC is drowning IMO.I hope it finds a way to swim out of this rut. However, is boxing really back? I'm stoked for GGG vs. Canelo, but it's been a whole lot of hype without much delivery this year in terms of big fights. Other than the heavyweight fight a few weeks ago, what is there worth remembering?

Great write up Ketch.

I am still amazed that OU ignores all the bad press that the get (see Joe Mixon) and how that affects student athletes - and their parents - on choice of school.

Great write up Ketch.

I am still amazed that OU ignores all the bad press that the get (see Joe Mixon) and how that affects student athletes - and their parents - on choice of school.
Sadly, it would seem that it doesn't matter all that much. See bu, e.g. My sense is that they are doing surprisingly well in recruiting right now, but I could be wrong about that. Stoops is just all teflon when it comes to this sort of thing it would seem.

Reactions: PaulieD
Two championships fights, number one contender fight, two past champions vs outstanding prospects, what more do you want? It was a stacked event. UFC has watered down their events the last few years but Saturday's card was the exception. Perhaps you not being a fan of the fighters on the card is the problem but this card was dang near universally hailed as a stacked, fantastic card.
a. Junior dos Santos is shot. Nothing about that fight was very interesting to me. His only win since 2014 was an uninspiring win over Ben Rothwell.
b. I didn't have a lot of interest in the Joanna fight, either.
c. The Maia/Masvidal fight was a good one on paper, except neither of those fighters is very interesting in that division. I know I should give more respect to Maia, but I just haven't warmed up to him.
d. I wished I had seen the Frankie fight.
e. The fifth fight was filler.

Ketch, all I can think about is that loss.

I was calm after the game.

Now, I want to take a baseball bat to a car and destroy it.

The angst has built up all throughout the night. The Spurs had them and then a fluke ankle roll compounded with another.

It just f--king sucks, man.
Aw geez.

Agreed, that jumped off the page. Be better.
This is what transparency looks like.

I don't have any issues holding Sterns in a holding pattern for a couple of months during a 24-month process until I am better informed. His junior film had been listed as private and he hadn't been seen by anyone I speak with since last summer. Knowing that Feb.-April is a very active time for camps and combines, I don't feel like admitting that I was waiting for a deeper evaluation of him before budging on my previous ranking is a bad thing.

Every kid's recruitment is a snowflake and his definitely falls into that category.

"... You'll never get me to say anyone other than Michael Jordan is the GOAT, but LeBron James is building one hell of a case to be the no-doubt-about-it No. 2 player of all-time. "

Wilt is 6 feet under and still laughing...
Wilt would love Lebron. Both are one of a kinds,

Reactions: HornLegacy
The fact that TH is correctly trying to obtain an additional QB option is not equivalent to saying MZ has proven his D1 passing ability, IMO, so I think you've leapt to an unproven conclusion about TH's thinking.
I don't think I am.

Your No. 8 makes it sound like GSW would have still comeback to win the game had Kawhi Leonard not been cheaply injured. Spurs would've won by double digits. Let's not give the Warriors too much credit on that one. Kawhi and the Spurs were making Golden State look like the ones held together by duct tape before he left the game. Curry suddenly getting tons of open looks (although he was draining them) wasn't a coincidence.
No, I think the Spurs win the game. However, the Warriors were always going to make a run.

Reactions: PaulieD
You're still missing the point. It's not whether or not Deshaun and D'Onta are better players than Dak or Zeke. It's about which team looks closer to making a super bowl given the fact that each team made the same round of the playoffs last year, Houston did far more to upgrade their roster compared to Dallas so far this offseason, and the AFC will present a much easier path to the Super Bowl over the next 3-5 years.

Watson was better than Dak in 2015 when both were in college... way better in fact. There's a reason one was drafted top half of the first round and the other wasn't drafted until the 3rd round. Watson was also pretty damn good last year too by the way.
I don't think Houston is that close yet.

No, I think the Spurs win the game. However, the Warriors were always going to make a run.
No doubt. The Spurs wouldn't have won by twenty, but they certainly would've won.

The Warriors outscored SA 58-33 after Kawhi's injury. Kawhi had 26 points, 8 rebounds in 23 minutes up to that point, so unless he wouldn't have gotten any points or rebounds in that final quarter and a half, the Spurs would've won. He assuredly would have.

Doesn't mean they win the series, but I was somebody that felt that they absolutely needed to win one of these first two games to win this series.

Mrs. Herman as Cookie is perfect in so many ways.

Chris Warren is just a guy right now in my mind. Slightly more than that. That's the truth.

Yes, if Texas had won every single 50-50, 40-60 or 30-70 game it played a year ago, I suppose nine wins would have been possible. The mathematical probability of that is pretty unlikely, though.

Cowboys will regress this season. Definitely.

UFC is drowning IMO.I hope it finds a way to swim out of this rut. However, is boxing really back? I'm stoked for GGG vs. Canelo, but it's been a whole lot of hype without much delivery this year in terms of big fights. Other than the heavyweight fight a few weeks ago, what is there worth remembering?
Joshua vs. Klitschko was the best heavyweight fight in years. Keith Thurman had a GREAT fight against Danny Garcia. Shawn Porter's TKO of Andre Berto was a great rebound fight for him. GGG barely getting by Daniel Jacobs was fun to watch. Canelo's last fight wasn't great, but it was entertaining to watch him do his thing.

Terence Crawford vs. Felix Diaz on Saturday
Kell Brook vs. Errol Spence Jr. on May 27 - this is a MUST see
Andre Ward vs. Sergey Kovalev on June 17
GGG vs. Canelo on September 16.

There is such much buzz around boxing right now. Great fights this year. Many more ahead. Boxing is not back, but the sport is having a comeback.

Oh, if you missed this knockout, here you go

Of what Prescott did last year was that easy, it would have happened much more than it has. For whatever reason Prescott was able to adjust to the NFL (NOT EASY) and play at a high level from game 1. Having a OL that has 3 All pros on it certainly helped along with a incredible RB behind him.

There is no guarantee with Watson. Let's hope he grows into a good one for Houston. To think he is a shoe in to be good and a difference maker for the Texans is a huge question. Only time will tell.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT